Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sunday : After a ridiculous amount of wine on Saturday night [at a "low key" night in the week before my stag ;)] I was in bed until nigh on lunchtime. As an early riser, I can honestly say I can count on one hand the amount of times I have slept so late in my entire life :)

Awoke to an amazing day, and myself and soon to be Mrs Vagga decided to cycle to the base of the hellfire club in Rathfarnham, and walk rest of way. In the end we dumped bikes in my sisters, and walked rest of way.

Just short of 18 miles covered in the end between bike and the walk, an amazing day for it :)

Anyone know any hill walking type folks, as I want a guide to take on some of the peaks around leinster next, lugnaquilla being the obvious target?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Anyone know any hill walking type folks, as I want a guide to take on some of the peaks around leinster next, lugnaquilla being the obvious target?

That's a very decent day's exercise on Saturday!

A few of the IMRA runners would be good qualified navigators, you could post on the IMRA thread ...

Sick at the start of last week so nothing..

A bit of cycling in the middle, to get to and from places, but adding up to 20k a day or so for a few days..

My stag over the weekend - savage weekend, but ate and drank my weight in beer and crappy food for 4 days, so need to get back on the horse pronto :)

Interestingly, on Saturday morning my right knee [which I had injured at start of year and took ages to heal] was sore after my jumping up and down aka dancing like a crazy person the night before :o

Monday : feeling like rubbish, post stag, slow day at work, and went to gym after work. Really focused on things which would work out whole body, test the knee and sweat out booze!!

Today : Went to club track session, [work going on, on the track, so we did the session in Sean O Moore Park]. I was there a bit early, so had done more than 3 miles by the time we started the session. Session was hard, all the more so clearly with the hot evening and my sweating out about 5 pints worth during the session. I think working hard for the whole session and getting it done is more important than the pace in this instance [which was slower by a second or two per rep than the last 12 by 400 session I did last month].

I was going to do a slow 10k over lunch, but soccer gang were short one, so played 5 a side for an hour instead...

What I dont have in soccer skills [ie: NONE] I have in fitness, so it makes me look "not quite as bad as I am", the longer the game went on I was one of the few people moving! I should play next week and wear garmin, would love to know the amount of ground covered and average pace :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭circadian

I was going to do a slow 10k over lunch, but soccer gang were short one, so played 5 a side for an hour instead...

What I dont have in soccer skills [ie: NONE] I have in fitness, so it makes me look "not quite as bad as I am", the longer the game went on I was one of the few people moving! I should play next week and wear garmin, would love to know the amount of ground covered and average pace :)

I played in an 11 a side league last year as a winger and was always curious as to what kind of milage is clocked in a footie match. For some reason I get the feeling 5 a side involves more movement as it's so close and played a lot quicker.

I really enjoyed reading your thread and progress, you've come a long way from barely being able to make it up the stairs. Congrats, it's great to see someone reach a target and then go well beyond that over time.

Wednesday :
    Swim at lunch and short and direct run home, as I was a bit late to watch the match..

Thursday:
    Run home from work, just short of 5 miles - my legs are really really heavy [first mile home was just over 10 min mile!] and almost feeling like Im doing back to back 60 mile weeks or something? I stopped taking all vitamin and related supplements a couple of weeks ago to see if I would notice anything, wonder if that could be it? [after a very interesting chat with a doctor at a party, who basically said that pill supplements do next to zero good, and offered to show me medical proof to that effect, explaining how vast majority of studies in that area are rubbish for one reason or another] - I'm also doing more cycling, walking, swimming type stuff, but that can hardly be it, so we will see?

Off to West Cork for the weekend, and there are a great set of hills behind where I will be staying, so will go out there Sunday morning at the crack of dawn and see what the legs are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

circadian wrote: »
    I played in an 11 a side league last year as a winger and was always curious as to what kind of milage is clocked in a footie match. For some reason I get the feeling 5 a side involves more movement as it's so close and played a lot quicker.

I clocked a 5 a side game one time and it was approx 4.25km only. Lots of short bursts still don't make you go very far.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

belcarra wrote: »
    I clocked a 5 a side game one time and it was approx 4.25km only. Lots of short bursts still don't make you go very far.:(

That be about right, if you consider a pro footballer covers 9-10k in a premier league match.

Away in West Cork for the Weekend..

A fair bit of walking, drinking and eating :)

Found time on Sunday morning to run up the hill/mountain behind the house we stay in, so did and out and back 8 miles [where 4 miles out is basically all uphill, and therefore way home is downhill] over 200m of elevation gain, which is not mount everest, but I was in BITS at the top. Did it as a progression run of sorts. Started nice and slow and made an effort to keep at 5.3 per KM pace on the serious hills [no easy task!], and really pushed hard on the way home, doing the last couple of miles at 7.30 pace.

Right knee a TINY bit sore right at the end of the serious downhill section, but did not bother me since [including a lot of walking around west cork etc]

I did this a couple of times before, and my average pace per mile was 30 seconds better than last time I did it, which was when I was in good form, right in the middle of Berlin training last summer, which was great to see given I have not been killing myself over last couple of weeks taking a small bit of downtime after the few races I had done.

• Advertisement

Tuesday:
    With my sore knee after run the other day in mind I went to the gym at lunch. 30 mins on cross trainer and 30 core work and physio exercises I had from start of year.

As a means of tracking I'm not being a lazy bazza, I kept track of something on cross trainer, so I hit 438 Calories burnt [I know that figure is not accurate and somewhat random, but its as good a number to track as any]. Next goal clearly hitting 450 in 30 mins!

Wednesday:
    Amazing morning out there, so did a run into work - around 10k in 53 mins. Hard work at times in the heat, with the big bag, but maintained an average pace under 5.20km, most of the time between 5.10/15

In other news, less than two months to the wedding of the millenium [mine] - going to be looking after both my diet and my pennies for that period, both of which should do my running no harm at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Dude, 5-a-side whilst nursing/healing a bad knee is abslutely nuts.. Way too much twisting and turning. I had knee problems for ages and like the tool I am I kept playing 5-a-side and hockey.... This therfore qualifies me to tell you TO STOP BEING A TOOL ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Dude, 5-a-side whilst nursing/healing a bad knee is abslutely nuts.. Way too much twisting and turning. I had knee problems for ages and like the tool I am I kept playing 5-a-side and hockey.... This therfore qualifies me to tell you TO STOP BEING A TOOL ;)
    Agreed 100%, not playing today, despite the HUGE temptation in this amazing weather.

Agreed 100%, not playing today, despite the HUGE temptation in this amazing weather.

;)

Just re-read my post and realised I made up a new word...abslutely, wonder what was going on in my mind :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

digger2d2 wrote: »
    ;)

Just re-read my post and realised I made up a new word...abslutely, wonder what was going on in my mind :D

Probably just what's always going on in your head :D

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Probably just what's always going on in your head :D

Well, that or ''warm day / cold beer'' ;)

Playing with Flickr for the wedding and ran into this photo, blast from the past! Check out the ned on this guy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78033451@N00/1398029567/

14 hour day at work, so plan was for nothing exercise wise today, and head home and relax..

But could not resist the weather, so

cycling home I did a lap of the Phoenix Park on the spur of the moment, turned Endomondo on [no garmin, did not even had "proper" runners on, was wearing Converse].

18k done, and average speed of 23km/h [and that is with a rake of traffic lights etc]

Going to go mad, and go out and do a 40km Bike TT with Pulse Tri club Saturday [internal club race]. Never done anything like it before [be that in training or in a TT like this] so *no idea* what to expect really, so interested to do it for the sake of it tbh - its all cross training :D

All week I fancied doing something different, so Pulse Tri Club [who I had joined a few weeks ago] were doing an internal club cycling race, a 40k time trial. It was out in blessington, so its a fair old spin from where I live in town. But in the perfect weather we are having it was just what I was looking for...

So the 40k time trial was done in 1.20 odd, not too bad for a first go at anything like that at all - indeed I dont think I had done 40k in one go at all on a bike yet :)

On the flat parts I was fine, but there was a TINY hill, more of a bump which we went over 3 or 4 times, and the more I went over it I was in utter bits, and suffering badly, clearly that is lack of bike fitness coming into play.

Overall I did just over 100k, as it was around 30k there and back - a great days work, and I really enjoyed it.

Right Knee a small bit sore now, but Im off to England for 3 days for work, so I will rest it up for a few days :)

In short, just been in London for 3 days on a course, staying right beside Victoria Park [circa 5k loop I think] - brought 2 sets of running gear. But right knee seems proper ****ed again, getting worse and not better, despite me doing nothing of note on it since the cycle saturday?

Did about 20k of cycling at a *very easy* pace Sunday [Cycled too and from a lunch in Dundrum with my other half] with no issues at all. Indeed was at a BBQ saturday night and was standing for hours, and did not have any issues. But the longer the week has gone on, with little or no exercise bar a 20 min walk to and from the course I was doing and hotel, the knee has gotten worse.

*sigh*

So appointment with physio booked for Friday.

I guess the one bright note would be this is the time to get injured and have it sorted, when I should be starting to build up for DCM, and not training itself, but Im more concerned with not wanting to put on 2 stone before the wedding due to having to sit on my ass for a few weeks :D :eek:

• Advertisement

Physio not too bad - he agreed I was doing most thing right, and hopes we can get issue sorted quickly, and that I need a pre-and-post exercise stretch routine in future..

So Im good to cycle, but not run for another week..

So had a load of wedding things to do yesterday, so did a load of them on the bike, doing over 41k odd in 1.49 or something, but that is cheating, as there was a bit of starting and stopping involved, and also I had a backpack which got heavier and heavier along the way :)

Garmin recorded a max speed o 77 km/h - so that must have been when I fell off a cliff with the wind behind me :)

Oh sooo annoying - last night was amazing, I had nothing to do and got out of work at a decent hour for a change, so would have been perfect for a decent length run [or the club session] - but decided to be a good boy, where at the start of the year when I had this knee issue, I was doing "sneaky" runs the second I started to feel better and that clearly was not helping the issue get better. So I have a physio appointment Friday, where I hope and pray to get clearance to go again..

To help that Im doing the stuff physio gave me AT LEAST twice a day :)

Otherwise, Im swimming most lunchtimes and doing a fair bit on the bike; so hope that helps keep up levels of fitness.

Tonight Im helping marshal the pulse aquathon, and will do a longish cycle home [where I would love to take part, but apart from knee thing, my swimming is still at the level of being able to prevent myself drowning, a fair bit away from open water ackshun yet, but will get there!]

Clearance to run again, w00t. Friday night rearranged to go out on a tester run!!! Its been soooo hard to be good and not go out in this good weather :(

Wednesday : Did about 11 miles cycling overall, mainly at a decent pace - legs suitable sore in places next morning!

Thursday : Swim at lunch and gym after work

Today : Will do an easy 5k or so after work, just to ease back into it.

Pretty Easy 5k in 27 or 28 minutes last night - no pain at all..

Legs heavy, but that is due to the physio earlier in the day and general heaviness as I get my cycling legs sorted :)

Pulse club cycle, ironically given the day that's in it, out to [wet and windy] Dunshaughlin, and back..

Just over 60k in just over 2 1/2 hours

Now relaxing and watching the lions game, not a bad Saturday at all so far :)

GL to everyone running out there later on :)

6.75k in 35 mins

Easy run today - being a good boy and [sorta ;)] following physio advice...He said to start at around 25 mins running and only add on a few mins a time for a first week or two, and build up a small bit slowly [since I was not out too long, and also kept up fitness on bike, dont need to be TOOO cautious].

Could have gone on and on, but better be safe than sorry :)

No pain in knee at all, perfecto, legs a fraction heavy with yesterdays cycle still in them I guess

Easy run home from work, did not push distance or pace at all really..

6.5k in just over 36 mins

In theory, my DCM training starts today, as Im starting a couple of weeks earlier than club plan due to my fecking off on honeymoon in middle of plan, so while Im following club plan, Im going to be just ahead of rest of gang on distance of LSR's so I have first 20 miler done before I leave...

I have a number for the 5 miler on Saturday, but unknown if I will bother, we will see how training goes rest of the week, may make it a decent pace component of a LSR :)

Club session - 6 by 600's with 200 active recovery..

Forgot Garmin, so no clue what pace I was going, only that I was f00ked after every single 600, so it was the right pace! Ran with a group I would normally be a small bit ahead of, and was with them the whole session - so after a few weeks out that is not too bad.

No leg or knee problems or issues at all, bar my legs not being able to go as fast as they could a month ago :)

One of those sessions which validate being a member of a club as no way in hell I could or would have worked that hard on my own!

Was intending to go to the club session tonight, but an aussie mate is in town, so went for a lunchtime run instead, around sean o moore park and that surrounding area...

9.6k in a fraction over 50 minutes

No issues at all, feeling good

• Advertisement

Easy run into work, 8.2k in 45 mins

Feeling a bit odd to be honest, but who knows could be any one of 20 reasons, maybe those 2 [TWO!] pints last night were too much :D

No idea if Im going to run the 5 mile tomorrow, will decide when I wake up in the morning.

Advertisement