Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

5 miler - PB 35.01 - SOOOOOOOOOOOO close to my goal of sub 35, but did not have it in legs in last couple of miles and slowed down a fraction, clearly the recent injury and lack of any endurance training since Kildare biting me in the bum...

No problems with race or organisation [bar bag drop, which was a mix of them trying to have fewer tents and half the people using GIR Green Spar Bags, so there was lots of "mine is the green spar bag near the back" - cue young folks looking at 986876765 green spar bags near the back!

Great to have done race, good hard run, 30 second odd PB over last year [when I was far more advanced in my training than I am now] and not a dickie bird from knee or leg - yea

Seriously busy day ahead, off out now, and wont get to see lions game until later, so have to avoid phones, public places, radio etc

Legs were perfect after the race and the slow run home afterwards, which was great..

Had a really busy day on my feet doing this and that, and then went to a BBQ, where I got slaughtered drunk [again on my feet] - awoke sunday and my legs were in bits like I had run an ultra the day before. Of course then, with sore legs [and a huge hangover] and go and do shoe shopping for the wedding, oh joy :)

Im in London for a couple of very busy days work this week, so very unclear how much running I will get done [but staying really near the Thames, so that should be good, in terms of possible routes]. But my goal for the week is to get between 32-35 miles done and start to get my DCM face on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Legs were perfect after the race and the slow run home afterwards, which was great..

Had a really busy day on my feet doing this and that, and then went to a BBQ, where I got slaughtered drunk [again on my feet] - awoke sunday and my legs were in bits like I had run an ultra the day before. Of course then, with sore legs [and a huge hangover] and go and do shoe shopping for the wedding, oh joy :)

Im in London for a couple of very busy days work this week, so very unclear how much running I will get done [but staying really near the Thames, so that should be good, in terms of possible routes]. But my goal for the week is to get between 32-35 miles done and start to get my DCM face on :)

Whats the DCM target?

Good running for the 5 miler.

Whats the DCM target?
    Main overall goal is sub 3.30, but if I can stay healthy I really think I can do 3.20/25 - things are complicated by the fact I will be away for 3 weeks on honeymoon in September, so having to design and plan my marathon training around that :)

Disrupted training week,with a work trip to London..

Monday - Very easy run home from work, 7k 41 mins and change..

Wednesday - Was supposed to meet BrianD and RK in London but my boss threw spanner in works late in the day, so had work to do. But was done with my thing at 9pm and was not ready for bed, so went to hotel gym for a run..

Ran for 45 mins on a treadmill, setting random - all that did was move the elevation up and down all the time, so did 220m of climbing or so according to read out

Thurs - Got up a bit early, so had tiny window to do another gym session, so did a small bit of weights and core stuff and half an hour of running at the same random setting on treadmill

My gear smells SO bad its unreal, pointing to the fact my diet has been a bit crap of late! But better out than in, thats what I always say...

• Advertisement

Lunchtime run in beautiful and sunny Dublin, from new office and around North Circular, and back home down the quays..

Had Garmin, but after 20 mins or so it still had not found a satellite so I let it time out and just kept running on feel. Pushed pace a bit, and felt good to get out and there in this great weather.

Overall 10k [from google maps] in about 52 mins [semi-educated guess]

16.5k around a wonderful sunny Phoenix Park in 1.28..

Lack of recent endurance training showed up, as it was pretty hard work getting around, maybe not helped by doing it fasted - but its all part of building for a longer term goal so who cares really..

Entered in Clontarf half next week, but think I will do it with 1.45 pacers or something as a hard LSR

OMFG if I did not have huge respect and admiration for the 10 marathon in 10 day folks [which I do, clearly] a club session tonight has it at even higher levels..

Warm up of just under 4k running of this and that, and with the heat I Was already struggling with breathing...

Session was a pyramid fartlek, aimed at the folks running the marathon, and basically 20 400's - run continuously with no stopping, but at different paces - I only got 15 of 20 done, and was utterly ruined, unable to go on! Could not even dream about running a marathon in that heat :)

While its a disappointment not to get session done, 15 400's at an average pace well faster than marathon pace is not a bad session at all - and we do this again in a few Tuesdays time and I will get it sorted then :)

I had to go down to Port Laois to do a thing, and was originally doing it on train there and train back in one day. But got a blast of inspiration and got train down with bike and cycled home. A great way to see the country and take advantage of this great weather.

Just over 90k in 4 hours - I was utterly spent at the end, sat in the bath for about 25 mins, and then went to bed, and was asleep in seconds.

So I was taking the back roads all the way home, and it was hot hot HOT, but roads were very quiet so no real issues with traffic or anything like that. Heat was indeed a bit of an issue, as like fool I forgot water bottle, but it was an excuse to stop at a garage every hour or so. At end of the day Im doing this for fun and a bit of cross training to assist my running and not to challenge Dan Martin!

Legs in utter ribbons today, so will go for a swim later on today and hope that helps.

One interesting point, I dont pay attention to the calories burned features on Garmin.Com, but checked out of interest this morning - Garmin Connect said I burnt 3200k Calories odd on that ride, where Strava says I burnt 1200 calories odd! That is why you should not pay any attention to those numbers kids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

One interesting point, I dont pay attention to the calories burned features on Garmin.Com, but checked out of interest this morning - Garmin Connect said I burnt 3200k Calories odd on that ride, where Strava says I burnt 1200 calories odd! That is why you should not pay any attention to those numbers kids :)

Did you change the sport mode on the Garmin to cycling? It might have calculated the calories based on the presumption that you ran the 90k?

• Advertisement

I have an occasional dry cough which is annoying - its almost like there is a tiny bit of mucus stuck in my throat - I clearly had the start of it Tuesday night and the epic cycle Wednesday did it no favours..

So I have rested from running for a couple of days, 50/50 if I do Clontarf or not - but if I do, I will go with 1.45 pacers as a hard LSR type run [for a while at least] and have a chat with Fiat Chiquento, as I have not seen him in ages :)

I was joking with a friend after the race that I had just run the hottest half in Irish history, and upon reflection, it cant be far wrong to be honest :) A very hot morning out around Clontarf, glad I had been organised and had suntan lotion etc

I did not really enjoy today at all to be honest, but nothing to do with the race itself or organisation, I was just not in the zone at all, the fact I was not racing meant that I was a bit "meh" about the whole thing. To be honest, I thought seriously about dropping out a few times, mainly due to the fact that I was not racing at all, just using it as a good hard LSR. The only thing which stopped me tbh was that I was wearing the Crusaders top and did not want to stop with it on :)

Went off with the 1.45 pacers, but knew after 3 or 4k that was not on, so I just slowed down a fraction, and did most of the rest of the race at 5.20km's or there about's - which is fine for what I wanted from the day, which was a hard training session.

Yes, Im glad I did the race and the miles will stand to me in the long game of looking to DCM, but I was SOOOO happy to cross the finish line..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I was joking with a friend after the race that I had just run the hottest half in Irish history,

I agree, its something that we need to put on the shirts.

I agree, its something that we need to put on the shirts.
    I should have said that too, strangely disappointed that we got a red shirt for the 3rd year in a row I think, shake it up a bit Eoin :)

One of those sessions you get out of bed and try and convince yourself your injured or have something else really important to do, one you KNOW is going to hurt :) With the Half done yesterday, hard as the cycle from the weekend was still in my legs along with various aches and pains over the run, and in the heat it took a lot out of me..

But the plan called for a bit of an LSR today, running on tired legs and getting into the whole marathon training vibe, one of those things which will become normal over the training plan, but this is the first time I have done it on this cycle, and boy did it hurt. I was in utter bits :eek:

In the end I did 12k in 1 Hour 10 Minutes - I should have run for 15 or 20 mins longer, but it was just not in the legs...

Signed up for a few weeks of bootcamp in the Phoenix park with soon to be Mrs Vagga, so we can both have 6 packs for the wedding in a few weeks :D [and to be honest Im curious about the classes, me having slagged them off for years!], but alas, its on Tuesday and Thursday, so means I miss the club sessions down at Crusaders for a month or so, which is a shame as they get into the Marathon training sessions..

So did 45 mins in the gym on the dreadmill at lunch on a very hilly setting [for what its worth] and I will do this bootcamp thing later...

Tomorrow I will go to the Pulse running session, interesting to see how it compares to the Crusaders sessions and I want to get some kind of speed session done, and I am rubbish at getting them done properly on my own.

Last night - No run, despite wanting to get to the Pulse session in Westpark. Was doing wedding stuff from 6pm to midnight.

This Morning : 6.45am Meeting/Call for work, and it gets cancelled in middle of night. So Im up and wide awake, so went for a run.

8k in 41 mins odd

Im clearly not well, breathing is hard like Im an asthmatic on couch to 5k for the first time, must have chest thing [its not bad now at all, only when I try and push it and therefore need to breathe deeply] - also groin not 100% [which I would not care about and would push thru, but I dont want a limp or crutches on my wedding day :eek:]

And I got a rake of vaccines for honeymoon this morning - and I may feel ropey for a day or two.

So taking a couple of days off, maybe most of weekend we will see, to get well and get wedding stuff sorted.

10k run home from work in 57 mins odd...

A huge amount of wedding stuff over last few days, combined with that cough which is getting better but is not totally gone, and the annoying small groin thing makes this the first run in 4 or 5 days, not even getting out for much of anything over weekend and throwing my Fingal 10k entry in the bin :(

With it being all about wedding for next while, seriously thinking if I should ditch Dublin as a goal, and look elsewhere? My plan had been to get plenty of speed work and at least one twenty miler done before heading off on honeymoon [as I will only have 5-6 left to race when I get back]. We will have to see...

Run into work, basically the exact same route as I ran home last night...

55 1/2 Mins for just under 10k

Legs a fraction tired after couple of runs in a week, which is weird when this should be bread and butter for me :) [Something I forgot to mention, mentioned we got vaccines I got for honeymoon [South East Asia], well they made me extremely ill, not once, but twice! The world working against me getting any kind of pattern/trend into my running!]

Dont want to press fate, but cough seems like it may be gone? Yay, 2 weeks or more its been around. Groin thing much less severe than it was, but Im still not going to be doing any speed work or hills for a week or so [good thing I wont have time to, anyway!]

Feck all running for me, one 13 miler and a couple of 10k's over last 8 or 9 days due to wedding stuff and work...

Wedding day finally here, by about 2.30 I will no longer be a free man :) :eek:

Just did 7k doing 5 or 6 laps of Stephens green getting head straight, was easy running but average pace was just over 3.30 marathon pace :) (using phone app)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck Joe, congratulations to you both. Hope you have a wonderful day :)

Wedding a huge success for everything bar my running ambitions, spending nigh on 2 weeks over eating and drinking too much is not conducive to a attaining PB's!!

Been in west cork for a few days, been on 2 hilly runs, 8k and 10k - perceived effort was gigantic and pace was not :)

Need to get back on the horse next week and get 3 excellent weeks (injury free) training before honeymoon if I'm to have any chance of even 'getting around' DCM :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Congrats on the wedding!

Run home from work, 10k in 55 mins odd...

Still rough, and getting back into things, but its all good hard work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Run home from work, 10k in 55 mins odd...

Still rough, and getting back into things, but its all good hard work :)

Hope she had the dinner ready for ya when you got home. :D

12.5k run home from work last night, in just short of 69 Mins...

Really a struggle at the moment, average pace both last two runs was 5.38 per KM [errrr 8.50 min miles or so?] where 5 or 6 weeks ago, I was cruising around 5 min per km pace - and I cant really see myself or feel my legs being able to do any kind of speed work [hence why I did the longer run home and skipped club session] - dont you just hate how sitting on your ass eating and drinking for a couple of weeks and not training means loosing basically all your fitness :D

Last night, 7k run home from work, a pretty direct way as I did not have time to do the longer run as I had something to do at home which had to be done before 8pm.

Good to be out running in the rain for the first time in ages, odd as that sounds..

Went for a quick swim before work this morning, as my legs are a bit battered, in the rush to get back on the horse for DCM I forgot about my cross training totally :)

Looking forward to the LSR in the park in the morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Does the extra weight of the ring make running more difficult??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I had something to do at home which had to be done before 8pm.

Have the dinner on the table ?

• Advertisement

Does the extra weight of the ring make running more difficult??
    Are you saying my arse looks big now?

Advertisement