Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Are you saying my arse looks big now?

You're even starting to talk like a woman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Garmin died about 3/4 of the way around the run this morning, and I was about 3 to 4 miles from home, so..

16 miles in about 2 Hours 45 Mins

So the time spent is accurate, but the distance is an educated guess based on the pace we were going and where my total distance done was before watch died etc

Im utterly f00ked now, as maybe that was a few miles too far - but we will see in the morning :)

Wanted to hook up with the crusader group this morning, as I have hardly done a thing with them in 4 or 5 weeks. But it was just a slow morning and I could not get out of bed and I missed them by a few mins and did my run on my own.

Hard work on legs still tired from yesterday, just under 17k in 1.37

That is 71 KM's odd for the week, which is a good first week back training, and lord do I need a day off to rest and recover now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Did I pass you in the PP ?

Did I pass you in the PP ?
    You may have, but I was in my own little world of thought and pain so was saying hi to every runner I passed on auto pilot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You may have, but I was in my own little world of thought and pain so was saying hi to every runner I passed on auto pilot :)

I was in running 20 miles yesterday, went by a runner and said Thank You instead of hi!! This was at mile 18 :)

Sounds like me too. worldofmyown.com

Last Night:

Club session, mostly easy running, but also featuring a 4 x 400 relay with random teams, great fun but we wont talk about my running :)

Ran home, so overall just over 15k in 1 Hour 25 Odd

Tonight:
    Pretty easy 10k, in 57 mins odd, around Eamon Ceannat Park

I have a number for the 10 miler at the weekend, but nowhere near racing or PB form, and plan was to do it as part of a longer run, but running tonight I was thinking if I should bother, rather than running in the 3rd wave and finishing 10 or 15 minutes slower than the time I did in the same race last year or something. I will see..

Had planned a big training week, and the 10 mile to be a bit of a hard long run but work and real life has taken over and basically made me have a mini-taper for the 10 miler - no chance to run Thurs or Friday due to having to get to work early, meetings over lunch and stuff to do after work. Damn real life..

So I did the 10 mile in 1.14 last year, and that is still my PB [as how often do you run 10 milers!] - if I get within 10 mins of that tomorrow I will be shocked tbh - not sand bagging at all, but running 8.30's is a bit of a struggle at the moment, so realistically thinking 1.22-.1.24 - which is a sad reflection of where I'm am at right now.

I swear I was not sand bagging, but I have been struggling with pace since the wedding and really could not see myself doing any kind of "respectable" pace in the race at all.

This is an important race for me, as its the first race I ever did [see post #1 in the log here]. I did a slow run down there, and a decent warm up with the crusaders gang. Great to see so many friendly faces before these races, always puts a smile on your face.

I was wondering about pace and read my report in the log here during the week, and read my report from Mallow, before Paris 2011 where I finished in 1.17.40 or something - so my [secret] A goal was to get within shouting distance of that, but I was really thinking I would end up at 5.15 KM's and slow down on the hills near the end. But made the decision to basically ignore the watch and just run..

I joined the very back of wave one, and at the start of the race I just ran off at a decent pace but was holding back a fraction. There was a huge group from Droheda AC right in front of me, running 4.50 KM's so I just ran behind them for a couple of miles and used them as a pacing group.

The legs were a bit sore, but I made the mental decision to keep at this pace and go as long as I could. I was happy running this pace, and even had to hold back a tiny fraction.

Around the time we get back to Chesterfiend Avenue, about 4 miles or so, I was thinking maybe I would slow down, but found two reasons to continue, a had a nice clear stretch of road, and I saw RQ maybe a minute or so ahead of me [ironically, that race in mallow 2011, a feature of my report is that I could see her just ahead of me most of the race!]

So I was in a bit of pain, but a bit of pain never hurt anyone! I just kept going at the same pace as I just found a great stretch of clear road for most of the way down the avenue, knowing the wee hills of the last few miles were still to come. Im going mental as every thought in my mind at this point is about work, and a problem we have to get sorted, I clearly need to get out morel :)

The last few hills over the last mile or two were not as bad as I thought due to brilliant Crusaders support all along the way, and then your in the last mile, and its a case of grinning and just getting it done. So I put on a bit of a push and had my fastest KM of the race in the last KM, which is good.

I was wrecked at end, but your meant do be - and when I saw that my time was 1.17.30 I was elated to be honest [strange to be elated when you finish 3 minutes slower than last year, but given my [VERY] inconsistent training over last few months, to run my second fastest 10 miler ever is a bloody brilliant result.

With run home [and the warm up etc] I was just short of 18 miles running for the day, which is also a good result..

Off on honeymoon next week, so plan a big week of training this week before I vanish off to Asia for 3 weeks :)

• Advertisement

So did not get out for a run Sunday as I was up north for a series of family things...

Current mission is trying to find where I can fit a 3 hour/20 mile run into my schedule this week, before or after work Wednesday or Thursday most likley?

Monday:

Ran home from work, 5.5 miles odd

Tuesday :

Club session, pyramid fartlek - overall just over 9 miles of running [including warm up, and slow run home to warm down].

Had to leave just before end of session as I had stuff to do, but my pace deffo suffered the longer the session went on, but as such it was a brilliant work out.

Wednesday:
    Swim at lunch

Thursday:
    Swim at lunch, to be honest, more like 40 mins messing about in the pool to break up the day, but Im claiming it as swim like I was killing myself doing lengths :)

Ran home, somewhat directly as we had company, so only 45 mins running, and just short of 5 miles odd

Friday:
    Ran into work this morning, 8 miles on the dot, 1.15 or so in duration - basically doing the club session they all done last night [but again, when I was meant to step up pace for a bit near the end I had feck all in the tank - but a good session to have done before work none the less]

So thats all folks, off on honeymoon in the morning, see y'all in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Enjoy it!

Hello from Hanoi! Back from my honeymoon Saturday early morning, wondering if there is anyone running [VERY SLOWLY] around the park Sunday morning?

Over last 3 weeks, lots of eating & drinking and zero running, so interesting to see what that does to my conditioning, to be fair a lot of cycling, swimming and trekking in mountains - so it should actually be interesting :)

Short and sweet as I have loads on, with today being my first day at work for just over 3 weeks and all...

1) Not long after I landed on Saturday morning, went for a very easy 5 miles, just stretching the legs and what not..

2) Sunday morning I did 10 slow and easy miles, mind and body were willing, but legs were very tired indeed at the end, almost like when you hit the wall cycling, and have gas left in tank, but legs just wont move :)

Plan now focuses around my pacing duties at DCM, and not around racing it, so getting running again, spending time on my feet and doing a small bit of practice at 11 min miles [since Im pacing 4 Hours 50 Mins]

Still jet lagged to bits, so have been in work since 6.30am, my great plan of getting drunk after match and ensuring I slept did not work.

Plan now focuses around my pacing duties at DCM, and not around racing it, so getting running again, spending time on my feet and doing a small bit of practice at 11 min miles [since Im pacing 4 Hours 50 Mins]

Easier said than done. The slowest I managed was about 10:30 pace for about 13 miles.

Monday morning woke up with sore left foot, utterly out of the blue? So took Monday and Tuesday off everything bar work and sleep and unpacking etc :)

This morning, woke up early, so went for a run in my new Brooks Adrenaline's [picked them up on Sunday from Amphibian King Ashtown; my birthday present to myself; funny its the second time I have had gait analysis done properly, and both times I have ended up in brooks; 2 years ago I was put into Glycerin 8's and now these. Really comfortable, and they have a wide toe box, which suits my foot.

Did 6.5 Miles in an hour basically on the nose; did one *really* easy mile near the end, and did a 9.58 mile, as I work to get the 11 min mile pace for DCM :)

Sole of left foot a touch sore afterwards, really hoping its just a case of me having been in crappy sandals or in bare feet for 3+ weeks on Holidays and not plantar fasciitis or anything like that. We will see over coming days...

Was not in the mood to run last night at all, so talked myself out of running home and strolled home instead. But once home I realised I should have run, despite rather getting send to a North Korean Work Camp than running, just due to a general feeling of "meh!" - but went out and did it...

Did 5.5 Miles or so, at in or around 9 min miles - ended with a 2 sets of 100m or so of strides for no real reason than I wanted to :)

Will go for swim today, and then do a LSR tomorrow morning [was entered into Kilomarathon, but no lift there anymore so not bothering].

BTW - left foot fine, so as hoped it was just sore from getting back into shoes and runners again

My birthday yesterday, so went for a pint or two after work, and fell in the door at "Im really quite hammered o clock" - so was amazed when I woke in pretty good form, in time for the long run...

Went up there to meet a boards gang, and once I got there saw there was a big group from Pulse, so I went out with them. My plan was for circa 16 miles, and did just under 15, which is not too bad with no fuel, with hangover, going a pace a fraction faster than I wanted to go :)

They were heading off for 20, but only a week back from 3 weeks off I did not want to push it too hard and get injured etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Went up there to meet a boards gang, and once I got there saw there was a big group from Pulse, so I went out with them.

Define big? there's been hardly anyone recently :D
    Was going to pop up at 11 to see if they'd got back to the car park again but ran to the session this morning so didn't bother.

15 plus people - after first hour we went ack to cars and sorta fell into 3 different groups - as you do

Slow run home from work, 5.5 miles in just under an hour, just slower than 10.30 min/miles on average - could have gone at that pace all day, which is handy as Im going to have to go around that pace for just short on 5 hours in a few weeks :)

Confirmed I did not get a ballot place for London, so Donandee and Conn Ultra it will be for me in April again so :)

Yesterday went for an easy swim at lunch [eg : fecked around in the pool for half an hour!]

This morning, easy run into work, was not feeling it at all, after a crappy nights sleep but cant run later after work so it was now or never and also conscious the marathon is in about 5 minutes and I need to get a few miles done :)

So did 8 miles in 1 hour 15 mins, but all a bit meh tbh :)

Supposed to be doing the Athlone 3/4 on Sunday, as an excuse for a decent paced long run as much as anything to be honest. After that I will only do a 10 day to 2 week taper, so get one maybe even 2 longer runs done after this weekend, making up for the lost time while away..

Thursday - ran home from work, 5 miles odd, run cut short by not wanting a visit from *ahem* ginger bread man :D

Friday - went for a swim over lunch, where I actually did swimming rather than mess about in the pool as I normally do over lunch swims :) Feeling good after it actually :)

This morning, 12 miles early morning easy run around the park, great morning out there. Was *very* tempted to keep going, do another lap of the park, and make it a 20 miler and get that done and dusted so I could drink later and stay in bed in the morning, but thought better of it in the end.

Plan is for Athlone 3/4 tomorrow morning. Im just going to tag along with the sub-4 training group..

Thus will end a half decent weeks training, first in months :)

Athlone plan went out the window due to a real life thing I have to deal with in a short while...

So yesterday I had done the 2 hour run, and spent most of rest of the day on my feet, walking around Dublin checking out the Open House stuff, seeing inside some of the city great buildings. So by the time I was going to bed my legs were wrecked.

But family stuff meant I meant I had to do my 3 hour run, on my own, very early [to get it over with]. So that I did, leaving the house at 7.30am odd, and doing just short of 20 miles in just short of 3 hours 10 mins [I was never one for running laps of a car park to get a run to a magic mileage target, I ran 3 hours 10 mins and that is enough ;)]

Legs utterly wrecked now, but that's what you want right? It really is SOOO hard to motivate yourself to keep going when your in pain when you are not racing, but a classic case of it does not kill you it will make you stronger!!

Long and slow run home from work, basically testing running slow slow...

Was dark most of the way, so my actual pace was on feel and was swinging from 10 min miles to 11 min miles, which is grand - 15.5 miles run overall...

Run into work, cold out there, almost cold enough to get the running gloves and running tights out of storage :)

10k in about 56 mins; feeling good, as you always do after a run into work :D

Im off away for the weekend [amazing, cant wait to get away, but dreading the whole airport messing again!], but I need another 3 hour run really, and I have a plan as to how to get it done while away..

But *just in case* as I woke up early anyway, I got up and thought to get a decent run done, as a backup/disaster recovery type plan...

So run for just over 2 hours and just under 13 miles in and around the park this morning

• Advertisement

In Berlin for weekend!

Got up early this morning to get a run done, running from where we are staying down to tiergarden, a couple of laps of there and home...

Great memories of when we were here for the marathon. Amazing running route this morning, all tees amazing buildings everywhere where you looked!

2 hours 45 odd in total, and just short of 17 miles - was going to press on for the 20, but I am here for a long weekend end of the day, so had to resume being a tourist and no longer a runner!!

Advertisement