Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Fri - short run to work, 45 mins odd. No garmin, just plodding :)

Today : short 90 min cycle this morning in the park, trying out my new clips and cleats on the bike (on closed roads, but no problems or accidents! And wow they really do make a difference!)

Also did a 1 hour swimming lesson with the pulse folks. Excellent to get expert help and have decent things to work on in my own time next week.

Sunday : a very lazy day in bed with books santa brought me / and on sofa watching stuff recorded over christmas, still off drink and basically eating as a vegetarian [goal is to cut sugar and limit carbs] and that is going really well actually...shockingly so. Work meal out tomorrow will be a stern test :)

End of the day I guilt tripped myself into going out for some kind of run, so just did 5k slowly around the south circular road, "for the sake of it" really, but was good to get it done and its all about getting some fitness back...

This morning : Ran into work early, as I have a couple of days of serious meetings. Took it very easy, no interest in going fast for the time being, just getting my 4 runs a week done to increase fitness and get into shape, first half of the year is all about getting that first Tri done, and thus what I really care about is taking the next step in swimming [and as such I will be going to the pool after work], to practice what the folks in the club suggested I do :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What pool do you normally swim in? Still a member of iveagh?

Not been in Iveagh for a while, we get a great rate in gym beside work, under Maldron Hotel on Cardiff lane...

Been doing a bit of swimming and a bit of cycling and a small bit of running - nothing too insane, but a healthy mixture of stuff :)

Tippjing away - 3 or 4 runs a week, maybe around 25 miles a week, 3 or 4 swims a week as I get around to sorting swimming once and for all [got myself a pull buoy this week, so I can sort out breathing, and swimming fitness at the same time, MORE Gadgets]..

No point in posting here all the time until I start training for something meaningful again in second half of the year or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 newbygirl

[got myself a pull buoy this week,

I used to go out with one of those :D

Not on boards a lot these days so no really updates here...

Social and fitness running a few times a week, no real attention to times or speed...

Cycling a bit at weekend and doing some swimming

sin e really :)

Cant see it changing unless I get into NY or Chicago as I wont be doing DCM this year :)

Hi - not been on boards in ages, so thought I would say hello :)

Been running 2 to 3 times a week, not based on pace or distance, but for enjoyment. Not been down to Crusaders even once in 2014 yet. I have been starting to get into a bit of swimming and cycling a small bit more, training for the ring of kerry charity cycle, a couple of mates doing it, but seems like one of those things one should do in your life, go for a cycle[or a run!] around the most amazing part of ones country :)

Mrs Vagga said to me the other day, "what marathon are you doing near the end of the year, I think you should do one" which knocked me for six, but its clearly a "you said you wanted to do one more, so pick one and get it done with" kinda thing :D. So have to think about that, a lash at Dublin? Amsterdam or something. Dunno? If Im doing one more, I want it to be a big 'un

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Been running 2 to 3 times a week, not based on pace or distance, but for enjoyment. Not been down to Crusaders even once in 2014 yet. I have been starting to get into a bit of swimming and cycling a small bit more, training for the ring of kerry charity cycle, a couple of mates doing it, but seems like one of those things one should do in your life, go for a cycle[or a run!] around the most amazing part of ones country :)

Mrs Vagga said to me the other day, "what marathon are you doing near the end of the year, I think you should do one" which knocked me for six, but its clearly a "you said you wanted to do one more, so pick one and get it done with" kinda thing :D. So have to think about that, a lash at Dublin? Amsterdam or something. Dunno? If Im doing one more, I want it to be a big 'un

You never know, I might meet you on the bus down!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If your going out in a blaze of glory, make it New York, treat the other half to trip

• Advertisement

Got a place in the ballot for Chicago....

Now to see if I can afford to do it, as it will be one damn expensive long weekend :)

Have until Friday to pay for it, so need to start doing some sums and maybe buying some lotto tickets :P

Feck it, was not going to take Chicago place for many sensible reasons, but as the deadline approached last night I folded like a badly trained man in the last few miles and entered...

If there is a large chance this is my last marathon.. [or last one I race at any rate, as I still want to do London, having lived there for 5 years, and go there for work every month!!].

.....then Im going out in style, doing one the majors, and also taking Average Runner's advice, and Mrs Joe will come along and we make it our summer holidays and also pay a visit to the family we both have on the west coast...

So main goal now is Ring of Kerry cycle, and starting to build up running again so I can start training properly in a month or what ever...

Chicago flights booked, no turning back now! Aer Lingus 100 odd USA flight sale made things a lot less painful...to say least.

Running wise...Ran 9k odd last night and 7.5k odd tonight.

Focus is on getting back running 4 and then 5 days a week first, and not getting injured!

I will work on moving up the run duration next and get back doing LSR's. My plodding pace is around 6min/k's [9 min miles] so that suits me just fine for now tbh.

But really, I have 2 months before I need to start a training plan zero rush on races or speed work *at all*, and I have not been to a physio yet this year, and would rather not have to break that record for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck with it all. Coming back from injury myself, its a tough road but hopefully worth it. Never know i might see you out about in the city some lunch time

8.5k odd around reagents park the other morning, while in London for work...

Was meant to do the pulse tt cycle this morning, but woke up late and missed it. So went for a long run in the park instead. Just over 90 mins running, just under 10 miles done.

No plans for rest of weekend for first time in weeks. Lots of tv to catch up on :)

Should have gone for a spin this morning, but...did not want to. I will do a couple of hours after work one night this week.

Did a short run, on legs still a small bit sore from the run yesterday. Only did 40 mins odd, but good to get it done.

For chicago Im going to do the same plan I did for Berlin a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed that, as there is a good range of sessions in there and they all had a purpose. It will also fit quite well with the plan Crusaders folks will follow for Dublin and Berlin. The only changes I will make is that afte Berlin I thought I could have done with another 3 hour plus run, and indeed *at least* one beyond 20 miles [...was on for 3.30 up to and just beyond 20 miles, and lost 8 mins in those last few miles]. I also need to more time at marathon pace at latter parts of long runs...

Took a well earned break Monday, save for some core work and stretching, as I realise I need to be on top of that if I have any hope of getting thru this in one piece..

Was going to run home from work, but its amazing outside and my lunchtime meeting cancelled, so I went up hand in my Cru renewal to the gang in Irishtown, but there was a schools meeting on, so I handed it in and went over to Sean O'Moore Park and did slow bit and then circa 3k at a small bit harder than I have been of late [not quite speed work, still "only" average of around 8.15 min/miles], was utterly spent afterwards and did slow jog home..

So overall 8.5k odd, in 47 mins odd and first good training session since DCM :D

This marathon lark, and getting faster as one gets older is about training smarter, eating better and generally being sensible...

So last night I had a beer after work alongside 3 slices of pizza, and then did a 4.5 mile run home - that's what we mean by sensible and training smarter, right?

10k done over lunch in around 55 mins and I feel amazing...

From work, to Sean O'Moore Park, and out past the power station and back via basically the same route..

............Mojo, welcome back, its been a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I must have been right behind you most of the way, did 7k out to SOM park and back.

• Advertisement

Not a lot of time today, so got up early and went out and did 80 mins at easy pace..

Yesterdays 10k still very much in legs, so not "back 2 back" hard session fit yet, but thats grand. Good to get run done anyway..

May take tomorrow off and do 10 miles or so Monday [booze on Sunday dependant!!]

10 miles around the park, nice and slow. Indeed I really hand to hold back at times, as when I kept speeding up and I wanted it to be a long SLOW run and not feck my legs for the week.

Clearly a bit knackered at the end, but Im also clearly getting fitter which is good to see. I was holding back today, and I went a bit further and overall faster per KM than a similar run a couple of weeks ago

I finding myself only running and doing nothing else, and need to get back into swimming and cycling, and not let muscle imbalances develop, and thus start to make my physio rich again :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thought you were cycling today? Tsk tsk

Thought you were cycling today? Tsk tsk

I know, just woke up and found an excuse not to and run instead

This morn woke mad early and just did not fancy a run, so went to pool and did 50 mins [which was 15 mins swim, 25 mins core and leg stuff and then 10 mins swim]

This evening, slow 4.5 mile run home with worlds biggest backpack on my back, as I did not think I needed to bring home as much stuff as I did...

Run home from work, 50 mins, 5.5 miles, again nice and easy

Very happy to have done Darkness into Light overnight, a great event for a great cause..

Never seen to many people in the park, for any kind of event [was too small to see the popes concert there in 1979!]. Was great to see several generations of the same families doing the run. Its a well organised event, given there are almost as many people doing it as who do DCM

I made it into my long run, so I did Darkness into Light with Mrs Vagga, but I ran down there and then home again afterwards, so LSR was done by 5am :)

So I did 106 minute LSR, with all miles slow and the middle bits [the DIL event itself] very slow as I did it with Mrs Vagga and we did it at her conversational pace :)

This week shows some of the problems doing a marathon is going to cause me, damn real life getting in the way of running..

Sunday : a fantastic relax day, ate and drank more than I normally do in a week
    Monday : London for the day, for work
    Tuesday : Shattered tired, skipped planned run
    Wednesday : Was going to run at lunch, but had meeting, and had a work dinner after work

Thursday : So I had my first run of the week, 5.5 miles in just over 50 mins into work.

Fri : short run home from work, sans garmin, only circa 3 miles in I dont care what time as it was a fun run not training :)

This morn : was planning to do around 10k, but did 10 miles in around 90 mins as its amazing outside, and I did the forrest gump thing and kept running...

Doing Terenure 5 mile tomorrow as a hard session. No where near race shape, not done a single fast session yet [indeed since late July or August]. So will clearly struggle to get within 7 or 8 mins of PB , but you gotta start somewhere. I guess around 42 mins would be realistic result given where I am now..

• Advertisement

(Doing experiment and writing on phone)

Terenure 5 mile. Under the radar run, to get back racing and start into some faster stuff. Loved it, was in school in terenure, and met loads of folks I knew, and many familiar faces on course.

Getting number met some cru club mates (for first time since marathon). Some great encouragement, especially from the ever inspiring Mr stew ::)

Went off with 40 min group, but was amazed to find pace dead easy, speeded up and did a couple of 7.30 ish miles, and was happy. Simple lack of speedy work took a toll and last 3 miles were a bit slower, but a very positive experience to be racing again. Taking several months off for the win, also being clever with training and not over doing it, and building up slowly clearly helps me too...

Overall 37.50 today ..

A month to find 3 mins for a pb in race series 5 miler. Time to get back into some club sessions and start doing small bit of fast stuff..

Overall weird to be so happy with 3 mins slower than this time last year, but happy I am :)

Advertisement