Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Thanks folks, I guess the work stuff will work itself out, no point in stressing about it as it wont change anything :)

It was great to meet you all the other night, looking forward to running with you in the weeks and months ahead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Nice to meet you to and please forgive the waffling :D

Out to Amphibian King this afternoon, truly excellent service, tried on and tested 5 pairs and ended up walking away with a pair of Brooks' Glycerin 8 [ironically, the exact make and model Peter Matthews said I should maybe look at last Monday, kudos to him!].

This evening I was not planning to go out on a run at all, but it was a stunning night and I was at a loose end for a few seconds, and I crumbled like a deck of cards and went out...

So I gave my new runners a road test, and did a fraction under 4 miles in just under 34 minutes!

I turned it into an [unscientific] interval run, I did 7 intervals in the middle of run. I picked out something "a few hundred meters away" and upped pace to the point where talking would be hard [while not totally flat out], so around 5k pace I guess, [which was a good description of how fast you should go in some book I read].

Very enjoyable night for a run, always nice to do it with a smile on your face :cool:

Swimming lesson for an hour this morning before work..

Excellent, really enjoyed it and could see the difference in the hour. Loads to work on and practice before next week.

Getting 1 on 1 lessons now, as the 20 people to 1 instructor lessons may be cheap, but I was not getting much from them beyond the initial jump. I can swim 10 or 15 meters, but cant breath, and my form goes to ****.

Im going to learn to swim if it bankrupts me. Not only will it be good for running, with no impact on legs cross training. Its something I have wanted to do for years and years. Its been a new years resolution for 4 or 5 years!

I'm thinking 3 or 4 lessons and I will be golden.

just under 5 miles around 45 mins this morning

Avg HR: 143 bpm
    Max HR: 165 bpm

Did the middle 4 to 5 k in what I thought was sub 50 min 10k pace, but I was actually off, I did a bunch of 5.08 and 5.09 kilometers! Guess I need more training then :p - still a good tough run and I dont actually have a target 10k yet to try and do this yet, so no drama at all :)

• Advertisement

Sitting in work looking out window, wishing I was running in the Phoenix park in this amazing weather. So I did the next best thing and entered some races!

I entered the Donore 5k on May 28th and also the DLR 10k on August 1st [both thanks to threads about the races!].

DLR will be a mini-goal race, with the goal of breaking 50 mins for 10k [current PB: 54.30, but Im running very near that on LSR's - so with a dedicated push I should be able to break that no bother, but getting sub 50 is a nice hard goal to work toward.

The Donore 5k is not a goal race at all, but I have no races at all in May or June, and wanted to get something into the calendar [and love running in the park, so *shrug*]. I guess if I get anywhere near my PB from a few weeks ago I will be happy, as I was utterly shattered after that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sportsworld 5 mile in mid-May, Dunshaughlin 10k in mid-June...

As per earlier messages, was looking out windows at work for a lot of the day, wishing I could go out running, so I bailed from work as soon as I could and rushed home...

I went out and about and did a bit of a random run around the park, going down and around roads I dont normally take. It really was beautiful, with the sun starting to set around the trees and stuff, every direction you looked was like a postcard :cool:

Did 8.5 odd miles, in 1.18 - Slow start and end, and somewhere between 5k and 10k pace for middle 5 or 6 miles :)

Avg HR: 139 bpm
    Max HR: 156 bpm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Learning to swim, running marathons etc...it's been a busy year!

Thanks Maria, it really has :)

The thing is that I was fat and lazy for 33 odd years, and now I have lost the weight and gotten myself fit, I want to take advantage and "live life" as much as I can. :cool:

Also my 9 and 6 year old nephews can swim like Olympic champions, and its plain embarrassing that I cant, I have to keep up my status at the coolest uncle :p [I even went to a secondary school with a swimming pool on site, but we were never allowed use it at all, for insurance reasons! :rolleyes:]

• Advertisement

Very sad to hear the news of the passing of Eddie aka Sarsfields Rock.

I was never fortunate enough to meet him, but the knowledge that we both suffer from the same illness and indeed that he is from a few miles down the road from where my family is from in Tipp is really staying with me.

I guess these logs enable people to get to know each other, without ever even coming close to meeting in real life. I had never thought of it like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Swimming lesson for an hour this morning before work..

Excellent, really enjoyed it and could see the difference in the hour. Loads to work on and practice before next week.

Getting 1 on 1 lessons now, as the 20 people to 1 instructor lessons may be cheap, but I was not getting much from them beyond the initial jump. I can swim 10 or 15 meters, but cant breath, and my form goes to ****.

Im going to learn to swim if it bankrupts me. Not only will it be good for running, with no impact on legs cross training. Its something I have wanted to do for years and years. Its been a new years resolution for 4 or 5 years!

I'm thinking 3 or 4 lessons and I will be golden.

Just reading through your log, where are you getting the swimming lessons, how are they going?

Have tried group sessions a few times, and still can't move in the water any more than a couple of metres

I was in work at 7.30am, just the ticket after a few beers last night. Fortunately the coffee shop was open, so there was no huge panic ;)

After work I went for a swim, and actually swam a bunch of lengths for the first time ever [with the help of flotation devices!]. But its a great forward step, so Im thrilled. Another few lessons I will be able to swim like a real person!

@ Wexican - I took the plunge [du..dum!] and got private lessons in my gym [Iveagh Fitness, I live in middle of dublin]. I have learned more after one lesson than I did in two sessions of group classes.

Im doing my "long" run tomorrow in the Park with one or two folks from around these parts I hope, so going to bed last night I was either going to do a long session in the gym this morning or go up to the running club in the phoenix park [which I have only been to twice, really enjoying both times, it just never suits me for one reason or another :mad:].

Of course I woke up at 9am, too late to go to the club in the phoenix park and I could not be arsed going to gym and looking at nothing but cream walls and sky news talking about the royal wedding for 2 hours, so I decided to run around my vague area and explore a park I have ran by hundreds of times, but have never been into..

The park is Eamon Ceannt Park, on Sundrive Road, which is couple of miles away from me. Its absolutely perfect for a short/medium runs, in that its a mile on the nose around the edge. So I did two laps today, one normal pace and one fast. I think me and that park will be getting to know each other quite well indeed. [This is utterly deadly news, as I live in the middle of town, so green spaces to run on are non-existent bar my beloved Phoenix park, thus causing some of my hip and knee issues, as its concrete jungle everyelse]:cool::cool::cool:

So I was not doing any special training per sae, so I had my normal slow start and end, but after that I got going I was going at around desired marathon pace, 8.50 miles [with one or two long "sprints" mixed in there].

In the end I did just over 6.5 miles, in 58 minutes

Avg HR: 138 bpm
    Max HR: 166 bpm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Is the old cinder track still in that park?. Used to run U12 races and XC there as a kid. I pass it nearly everyday, looks well kept.

Ger : there is a curved cycling track there now, like you see in Olympic indoor cycling.

Park is indeed well kept, look very nice.

Went out to do a long run in the phoenix park with Mr Slow, Chinguetti, Brianderunner, Digger with Clara lara providing motivational support alongside us :pac:

Its great to be out running with a group, when I do do much training on my own. It really does make a difference, the banter and bits of advice that get thrown around! Its great to be back in the spin of things and in a place to join in those runs.

Overall I did 11.5 miles, in 1.43

Avg HR: 142 bpm
    Max HR: 168 bpm

For me, 4 of those miles were me getting to and from the park, and 3 were a warmup , so only 4.5 were at the full 8.30 per mile pace. The 8.30 pace was tough if Im honest, but I was well able for it. We were still chatting away, but I could feel it in my legs. But thats the whole point of training, if it was easy all the time I would be wasting my time out there :cool:

The lads went on and did more without me, but I ticked over 10 miles going out the parkgate street gate, and the call of going home was too much! I need to recover, eat and get sorted before going to see Dublin win the league and get drunk with the lads! :D

PS: entered Dunshaughlin 10K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

with Clara lara providing motivational support alongside us :pac:

LOL, what was she doing? cheerleading or cycling alongside shouting?:pac:

That's a seriously good run today. a Long run with 4.5 miles @ faster than HM Pace? Anyone would find that kind of session really tough but it seems that you found it quite easy...

Are you following any kind of plan for DunShaughlin? Planning on any kind of speedwork? A few of us are hoping to make a regular thing of speedwork sessions on a tuesday eveneing at UCD Track (400m, 800m repeats- that kind of thing). Maybe it would be worth your while joining us?.

A few of us are hoping to make a regular thing of speedwork sessions on a tuesday eveneing at UCD Track (400m, 800m repeats- that kind of thing). Maybe it would be worth your while joining us?.
    That could be handy, as some controlled and sensible work like that would be a huge benifit I think,

I can get the 145 down the N11 from work, and be at those gates of UCD quite quickly. I need to figure out where the running track is from there, not been on UCD campus since i was a nipper doing SU stuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

just turn left thru the gate and the track is 200m away. We meet in the car park above the track at 6.15. Will put up a post in the group thread soon.

• Advertisement

Will not make the speed work in UCD tonight, work and other issues getting in the way. Will try hard to make it next week..

What have I been doing for last day or two....

Sunday PM : Drinking, watching capitulaton in Croker :eek: and more Drinking for rest of evening :cool:

Monday : A lot of small jobs and then an evening of drinking with aussies mates who I knew from London :)

Got out of bed at 7am Monday morning [stiff legs and sore head], to go to swimming lesson, only to get to gym, and it was closed. Damn instructor, booking lessons without checking opening times of his own gym! :rolleyes:

after a long weekend with two longish runs, far too much to drink and a lot of rubbish to eat [different scale of rubbish from what I used to call rubbish, but in this sense, *zero* fruit or veg all weekend] I feel like utter rubbish today..

So heading home from work I was thinking I was not bothered going out tonight, but forced myself out..

In the end I did a fraction under 5 miles in 46 minutes..

Garmin shows I was not killing myself at all...

Avg HR: 130 bpm
    Max HR: 141 bpm

Added Sportsworld 5 miler in a couple of weeks to the agenda, just up the road from me, so why not :)

Added Sportsworld 5 miler in a couple of weeks to the agenda, just up the road from me, so why not :)

I'm running this also, have you a time in mind?
    and fair play for getting out last night, they all count.

re: Time

I guess my goal at the moment is the sub-50 10k, so I guess I should be thinking of running a large percentage of this 5 miler at near/just over 8 min mile pace..

So realistically looking to finish in the early 40's - but we will see how possible that is. I will do a run later doing a mile or two at that pace and see how much of a mess Im in afterwards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

re: Time

I guess my goal at the moment is the sub-50 10k, so I guess I should be thinking of running a large percentage of this 5 miler at near/just over 8 min mile pace..

So realistically looking to finish in the early 40's - but we will see how possible that is. I will do a run later doing a mile or two at that pace and see how much of a mess Im in afterwards :)

You should be well capable of sub-40, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You should be well capable of sub-40, tbh.

+1
    I ran 25.xx in the Metro St Brigids 5k last year, and sub-40 (39.59 :D) at Sportsworld.

Overall I did 11.5 miles, in 1.43

Max HR: 168 bpm

For me, 4 of those miles were me getting to and from the park, and 3 were a warmup , so only 4.5 were at the full 8.30 per mile pace. The 8.30 pace was tough if Im honest, but I was well able for it. We were still chatting away, but I could feel it in my legs. But thats the whole point of training, if it was easy all the time I would be wasting my time out there :cool:

I agree with the others sub 40 is there. The above shows that you ran (give or take) 42:30 for 5 miles and that was training and chatting. Come sportsworld there'll be no chatting and I reckon you'll get under sub 40. Just food for thought.

re: Above posts..

I guess its a natural part of my personality to down play things, its not pessimism, but more hyper realism :P It worked very well with weight loss, as I was never too upset with bad weeks, and overjoyed with good weeks!

But combine that with my running inexperience, I guess its hard to be exact on realistic goal times, as it is for you guys with your thousands of more miles under your belts [Such knowledge sharing is one reason why this is a really great community :cool:]

Anyway, as planned, went out tonight with intention of seeing what 8 minute miles do to me. I was feeling sluggish on way home from work, but that was more due to a very slow day at work sapping the life out of me :(

Answer, as you all clearly know, its bloody tough work, but very achievable.

I did 5.6 miles in 47 minutes on the nose - I pressed miles 2 and 3 with the intention of doing 8 minute miles, and did first one in 8 mins on nose and second in 7.45, so its a good lesson in being able to judge pace [and a great training session in its own right].

On way home I was thinking, that would make that training run the 3rd fastest I have ever done 5k I think - which is mental :)

[To make all this easier I have switched Garmin to use nothing but miles, away from the half miles and half kilometers action I had on-going for a while! I was playing around with some other settings too, as I have never done much messing with it, which is very unlike me!]

PS: Tiny pain in ITB at end, so Im swimming in the morning and may rest for a couple of days going into weekend then...

• Advertisement

Thursday : An hour Swimming in morning, rest in evening

Friday : Tempted to run, but rested as I had planned and ended up going to bed very early. Mentally [not physically] tired from all the rubbish ongoing in work these days.

As a result of going to bed early I was awake even before the birds were singing outside my window this morning :rolleyes:! early o clock! So what else is there to do on a Saturday morning than one of the highlights of my week, the morning run around the park. God I love it in there at the very break of dawn.

I had intended on a slow run, but it turned into a fartlek session, with short and sharp sprints, hills and all kinds of fun like that.

Just under 8 miles in just over 1.09

Max HR: 167 bpm

Tiny knee pain near the end, but nothing to be too concerned over I think as it was no problem to keep running with it. Im also all over the stretching and stuff, doing it every day. I assume my body did not appriciate running hard down and then right back up up the Kyper and then the short sprints aftertwards [which is totally fair enough, sorry body! :P]

Later : To Landsdowne with nephews to be cool uncle joe again, and watch the two best club teams in the world play a classic game :cool:, where we will win [the bookies spread of 6 points is insane tho, will be a couple of points in it and no more IMHO]

Long run with the folks from around here tomorrow

Advertisement