Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

After the run yesterday morning I went along and saw the mighty leinster win what European cup semi finals should look like [sorry OT, but I have turned from working with soccer day in and out when I was in England, to quite anti-soccer these days, for loads of reasons. Ask me why in the pub one day and we will fight about it]! I then spent the rest of the night out and about, standing [I dont sit in pubs, almost never, just cant] - so on my feet all night [after tough training yesterday morning etc].

Awoke this morning, head was not perfect but no hangover [thanks to drinking wimpy bottles of coors light], but legs were pretty heavy..

Off I pop to the park to meet the lads, and the ITB is at me right away. But I told it to feck off, and I went on.

Really enjoyed it, as I said last week, and as Im sure I will be saying every weekend all summer long, running with such sound folks makes the miles just fly by, its excellent...

So I had intended doing 12-14, this morning leaving the house I was wondering if I would only do 7 or 8 or something..

So of course, I did 16.25 in just over 2 1/2 hours, and ran the whole thing - the furthest I have run by 3 miles or so :)

We were doing 9.30 pace, and I was at or near that pace getting to the park too. I could have run that pace forever aerobically, but the longer we went on my knees were at me, not agony at all, but they were pretty sore and very much at me.

Avg HR: 134 bpm
    Max HR: 154 bpm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    So of course, I did 16.25 in just over 2 1/2 hours, and ran the whole thing - the furthest I have run by 3 miles or so :)

Wow! Great run!

Speed session with the boards ladies and gents over in UCD..

Of course the Garmin chose to run out of battery just as my warmup was ending [I had charged it yesterday morning]. I guess I have to leave it charging all the time now, which is annoying as it means the battery life is now next to nill.

Anyway, I did 6 or 7 laps at 10 min mile pace to warmup [missing the folks do their "offical" warmup as I did not know we met in carpark]

I think I did 6 fast laps, I basically followed digger on all but one of them, and he always ended up pulling away from me at the end, so for my times add around 10%/15% to his times when he logs them :)

From speaking verbally at the track I think that puts me in or around 6.20/30 pace odd on average - which I'm very happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Good to meet you out at the track. It was a good session. I have to wait for Mensocemo to post in his log to get the miles done, seeing as my Garmin went on the blink yesterday.:rolleyes:

Im busy later so did my run this morning, I did a recovery run HH style

So I did just under 6.5 miles, in just under an hour, so somewhere around 9.45/50 pace on average..

Again tiny IT Band pain at the end no huge drama but its annoying and becoming a bit of a pattern these last few weeks, so I 'the stick'ed the **** out of it when I got home, so I will be walking to work like John Wayne [which may be a good look for me, who knows?] :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Be careful of the ITB there Mr Wayne...we need you in tip top shape for Cork :D...the faster we all finish, the faster we can be in the pub!!

Note for everyone - foam rolling when drunk is amazing, my head did not know where it was or what was going on :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Note for everyone - foam rolling when drunk is amazing, my head did not know where it was or what was going on :cool:

Kids!!!! Dont try this at home!!! Do it in the pub, where it will get a laugh or two! :D

7 miles tempo run in a fraction over an hour..

2 miles to the park, at 9 min miles..
    3 miles at 8 min mile pace around park [was hard work, but felt good]
    2 miles home at around 9.30 pace

Avg HR: 138 bpm
    Max HR: 160 bpm

Good work out, some aches and pains in hips and knees now, but tomorrow is day off from exercise [may go swimming after work, will play it by ear]

Yesterday I awoke with a tiny pain in my hips and knees - hardly noticeable, but very much there. I assume its a result of the speed work I have started to do over last while. It was a day off running anyway, so I took it easy.

My plan for today, therefore, was to go to gym and do some low/zero impact stuff. Give them a chance to rest further.

I awoke this morning and would rather walk over razor sharp wire with poison on the tips than go to the gym, so I changed the plan to a slow short[ish] run.

Of course as soon as I was out there, I sped up, started going too fast [wanted to be close to 10 min miles, and every time I stopped concentrating on time, I went into the low/mid 8's!] and went longer than I should have [with tomorrow's long run in mind].

As soon as I got out the park, I decided to do a lap of the 15 acres, just for a change, and to run somewhere different.

Did 8.5 miles in just over 1.17 [average moving pace 9.04]

Max HR: 161 bpm

Bold Vagga :o

• Advertisement

A very good LSR with a range of fellow boards folks, around the Phoenix Park [and surrounding areas].

I did just under 15 miles in 2.18 almost on button [I am not mad to the point of running around the car park to get from 14.89 to 15 on nose, but the lads assure me that I will get to that point].

Feels better than last weeks 16 did, while the run was 15 seconds a mile quicker overall, thanks to Meno's injection of pace from 8/9 miles onwards :)

Legs heavy this morning, but still much better than last week. Did absolutely nothing after run yesterday, but caught up on TV. The freedom of the single life :).

After two tough weeks in a row [the two highest mileage weeks I have ever done I think] I have a week of slightly fewer miles ahead this week for a few reasons. I'm swapping Friday and Saturday sessions, to give me a bit more energy for the assault on Sub-40 on Sunday at Sportsworld. :cool:

Plan for week:

Today : rest day
    Tuesday : Golf with Bro in law, so no running! [but its a hilly course, so plenty of leg work!]
    Wednesday : Tempo or Fartlek [before work] - 6/7 miles [boozin after work with ART folk!]
    Thurs : shorter slow recovery type run
    Fri : Usual Saturday 6/7 mile run - [Which ever of tempo or fartlek I dont use Wednesday]
    Sat : Rest day [which would be Friday on a normal week]
    Sun : Sportsworld 5 Mile

We are mainly all about running here, but I was out playing golf today with my brother in law. I used to play a fair bit of golf, but running has taken a lot of the time away from that, so this is my first game of the year [where I played at least once a month last year, usually more often].

Im dead slow at work :eek: and he works shift work so I took a day off to get real life stuff done this morning and get out and play in afternoon :)

I was up at Dublin City Golf Club, above Bohernabreena. Its very hilly, and the wind was blowing a gale, which made things fun [no sarcastic smiley!].

My golf was terrible, but Im really not bothered [as I would have been once] as I have not picked up a club in 6 months. I enjoyed getting out there.

My legs are in utter bits now, like I was out doing a serious LSR. A mixture of the hills and the wind I guess, despite the walking only being between 7 and 8k :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Did you get a garmin read on the HR as promised? :p

Almost, I had runkeeper working away on my iphone in my pocket :)

Did 7.23km, in 3 hours 18, so 27.24 mins per km! :cool:

Not far away from what my martathon pace would have been this time last year, and 6 stone ago :pac:

It does not do elevation which is a pity as every single hole is up a huge hill or down a huge hill [or that is what it felt like!]

[I normally use a different app on iPhone to track runs, which does elevation, but my average over all time with that app [just under 500 miles] is at 10.04 per mile, and I want to get that under 10 mins, and this would have royally messed that up! :P]

5.5 Miles before work. I missed the speed work last night, so made this a "fast" tempo run.

Went out at Marathon Pace [9 min miles] for around a mile, then built up to around 8.30 [half way between marathon and 10k/5 Mile] for 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile and then hit 8 min miles for just over 3 miles, ended up with a "fast" mile, which the garmin tells me is 7.45 [but that includes several sets of traffic lights, road crossings and stuff.

So happy with that, as only a couple of months ago "fast" pace was 8! :cool: The miles and the training clearly making a difference, which is good to see :D

So a fraction over 5.5 Miles in just over 46 minutes - Average moving pace 8.12 min per mile.

Avg HR: 147 bpm
    Max HR: 170 bpm

Good qualty work, very happy with that, earned my few pints later after work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You should be aiming for sub 38, something like that, on Sunday, because sub40 will be no bother to you

Your prolly right Ray..

I was planning to setting the Garmin run buddy thing for 39 minutes, and aiming to just stay ahead of that with 7.49 miles [or whatever] - I may dip slightly below that, but it still should be ok.

New title - I did not realise we could get them changed!

I always hated the old one :mad:

Too much to drink last night with the always excellent company of the A/R/T gang...

At 7am this morning I was not excellent company, as I was at the pool for a swimming lesson - I was a touch grumpy :P

Not the best lesson ever as a result, but I have a bunch of things I have to work on in my own time, and will book another lesson in a few weeks, after some sober practice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Too much to drink last night with the always excellent company of the A/R/T gang...
    *nods sagely*

Currently trying to mop up the last of the booze with a Bagel Factory bagel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

At 7am this morning I was not excellent company, as I was at the pool for a swimming lesson - I was a touch grumpy :P

Not the best lesson ever as a result, but I have a bunch of things I have to work on in my own time, and will book another lesson in a few weeks, after some sober practice!

You made it?! I am impressed. And clearly a bad judge of character… I will never bet against you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    You made it?! I am impressed. And clearly a bad judge of character… I will never bet against you again.

Was there a bet? :D

My head hurts. I am glad you didn't bet against me doing my speedwork tonight. I may just be doing an easy run (my legs hurt too)

I may just be doing an easy run (my legs hurt too)
    Amen to that :)

So I was feeling like rubbish yesterday for some reason :pac: so I ended up in bed not long after 8pm, and made the sacrafice of sleep and recovery, not watching Jedward ;)

I was therefore awake not long after 6am, fresh as a daisy..

So I did a 5.5 Mile Fartlek in just over 48 minutes - I have a good route for this kind of run, out on backroads around Guinness, down thru Kilmainham and then back home along the canal [or could go other way and home home via the liffey]

Max HR: 168 bpm

Leinster and Ulster later and will rest Saturday [some much needed sober swimming maybe?] in advance of Sportsworld 5 mile on Sunday morning.

Im going to set my garmin, to pace me for 39 mins for the 5 miles, we will see what we do from there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

So I was feeling like rubbish yesterday for some reason :pac: so I ended up in bed not long after 8pm, and made the sacrafice of sleep and recovery, not watching Jedward ;)

I was therefore awake not long after 6am, fresh as a daisy..

So I did a 5.5 Mile Fartlek in just over 48 minutes - I have a good route for this kind of run, out on backroads around Guinness, down thru Kilmainham and then back home along the canal [or could go other way and home home via the liffey]

Max HR: 168 bpm

Leinster and Ulster later and will rest Saturday [some much needed sober swimming maybe?] in advance of Sportsworld 5 mile on Sunday morning.

Im going to set my garmin, to pace me for 39 mins for the 5 miles, we will see what we do from there :)

Blasphemy :D

Best of luck on Sun

not watching Jedward ;)
    *high five*

Canada's finest >>>>>>>> Lucan's not-so-finest :pac:

Best of luck on Sun
    LIKE OMG, I like am, like, so thankful, OMG :pac:

Did 35 minutes swimming this morning, a much better experience than when hung over the other morning :eek:. Im getting there. Its tough learning to be honest, but Im far ahead of where I was a couple of months ago. :cool:

I cut the session shorter than I would have done otherwise due to the Sportsworld 5 Miler on tomorrow morning.

The forecast for the morning is for wind and rain, so I think ending those LSR's up the Kyber will stand me in good stead, as I will need the legs pumping :)

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow :)

Advertisement