Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What restores/destroys your faith in humanity?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Restores:

Posts like this:

liah wrote: »
    Restores: Stephen Fry. ( http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbvr0m_shortfilms )

Destroys: Fred Phelps.

I'd get into reasons but nobody would read them anyway. So what gives you faith in humanity? And then what makes it come crashing down?

Destroys,

Posts like this :
    Min wrote: »
    Restores: Pope Benedict - quote "But to turn this solidarity into effective action calls for fresh thinking that will improve life conditionsin many important areas, such as food production, clean water, job creation, education, support to families, especially migrants, and basic healthcare. Where human lives are concerned, time is always short: yet the world has witnessed the vast resources that governments can draw upon to rescue financial institutions deemed “too big to fail”. Surely the integral human development of the world’s peoples is no less important: here is an enterprise, worthy of the world’s attention, that is truly “too big to fail”.

Destroys
    negative people who have nothing to offer but criticism, like Richard Dawkins, read the above quote and tell me is that an enemy of humanity? We can add Stephen Fry too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Snakeblood wrote: »
    It's reassuring to see someone reasonable, quirky and sensible who is popular. It's not a mercantile transaction to see what you can get from things, always.

I don't like Stephen Fry much as I don't think he's terribly funny, but I can see his appeal. It's like Ian McKellen or something where the person just radiates being nice and considerate. Is it so bad to admire someone who seems lovely?
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with liking Stephen Fry it's just there is a certain type of person who likes to mention it every chance they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I seen that before and I replied to it before on AH, for a man who is suppose to be very intelligent he sure is ignorant when it comes to the Catholic church.
    I am sure if you search AH you will find my reply to that video, the list of errors is so long it doesn't leave me with the time to reply as I have to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Animals restore your faith in humanity?

FURRY ALERT! :D

Ah personification, why we have lolcats. Gawwwwwwwwwwww.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ruu wrote: »
    Restores: nature in all its glory
    Restores: Animals

The problem with these is that neither have anything to do with humanity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

chin_grin wrote: »
    "Know thy enemy." - Sun Tzu. ;)

Well, I do. All benefits can be attributed to the placebo effect. They actually believe that things get stronger if they are more dilute due to water's non-existent "memory effect".

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I'm not saying their is anything wrong with liking Stephen Fry it's just there is a certain type of person who likes to mention it every chance they get.

Dear lord, the only reason I brought it up at all was because I've been watching QI lately as the new season's started so it was fresh in my mind.

Can you stop with the thinly veiled digs now? And you know what I'm referring to. It's old, and I've done nothing to provoke it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Destroys : Knowing that a man down the road got beaten half to death then seeing his name tarred in the Sunday World.:(

Restores : Community spirit, knowing that there are honest, decent people who are willing to help others because they really want to help, not to benefit themselves.

Sisko wrote: »
    Restores:

Posts like this:

Destroys,

Posts like this :

So posts where someone says that a person who says governments can find money to rescue banks but how the same governments cannot find the same money to help humanity is what destroys your faith in humanity.....interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Animals restore your faith in humanity?

Not really, i can tolerate people more when theres an animal around. Sometimes.

They make me feel better after some ignorant person. Makes me forget about people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Restores: small acts of altruism. People that try to better themselves.

Destroys: that so many people won't take responsibility for their actions and how that thinking rubs off on other people - it's always someone else's fault...

So posts where someone says that a person who says governments can find money to rescue banks but how the same governments cannot find the same money to help humanity is what destroys your faith in humanity.....interesting.

When the poster can't see the hypocrisy of the person they are blindly defending, yes.

You may just be the most cynical person I have ever encountered on boards.

Dude, why is it so damn hard for you to accept that people can say they like something and be genuine about it? I genuinely like Stephen Fry. Why on earth do you take issue with that?

I really, really don't get it. I like what I like because I like it, not because anyone else has told me to, and I'd imagine most people are pretty much the same.. people aren't posting on boards to look cool, in case you hadn't noticed, we're pretty much anonymous.

I never said you didn't like Stephen Fry. I just questioned why people always bring up that particular like and I still believe it's because they like the association. It's like someone making their avatar a picture Tolstoy even if they had barely read Tolstoy. I'm not saying they don't like Tolstoy just questioning their motive.

People are more likely to mention their love of a trendy band than a popular one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Well, I do. All benefits can be attributed to the placebo effect. They actually believe that things get stronger if they are more dilute due to water's non-existent "memory effect".

And how is that harmful? I know the argument is "you're paying blah blah blah, all in your head etc etc", but once in a while it's nice to get a little external guidance for our chaotic minds. Personally I find it very relaxing.

And yes, I've just accidentally swallowed the Little Book of Calm.

Anyways back on topic, Stephen Fry. I do like his wit and that show QI. Those two rhyme and I didn't mean it, oh my! Oh how indifferent we could be to Stephen Fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Restores: Bill Hicks

Destroys: Organised religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

You're right its complete and utter bull****. It supposedly works on the principle that a molecule leaves behind a "molecular memory" which is in some way theraputic. Cant believe the IMB even entertains this ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Restores: Simple kind gestures. Like coming into a car park and meeting a stranger coming out, with a hand out the window holding a valid parking ticket for me.

Destroys: Animal cruelty :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree. Great in theory, but what about the Vatican bank? What about all the expenses running the organisation? The extensive property they own? The massive art collection he is keeper of. Just the cost of one of his vestments(of which he has many) could save quite a number of starving children. The list is long. He is head of an organisation that is more about the organisation than the tenets behind it(and always has been). He's a relic Caesar in all but name and Jesus would be be asking WTF? if he was around today. Personally speaking, I'll take his pronouncements with a pinch of salt until such time as he doesnt go to sleep on best quality linen sheets surrounded by Raphaels on his walls.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Restores: Some people (most? would that it were, would that it were.)

Destroys: Other people.

Side note:
    Sanjuro wrote: »
    Okay. Well what about Pope Palpatine's assertion that ordaining female priests is as bad a thing as pedophelia.

"Pope Palpatine" never made such an assertion re "pedophelia" (?)
    How about his frankly outrageous claim that the use of condoms contributes to the AIDS problem in Africa?

Again, not atually what Emperor Palpatine actually said... but don't let that stop you going for the hat-trick..
    How about his claim that a homosexual, even if he or she practices celibacy, is inherrently evil?

Never made such a claim. 3 for 3. Congratulations.

When the poster can't see the hypocrisy of the person they are blindly defending, yes.

Yeah, I know what you mean, who could stand over an organisation that provides 55,000 hospitals or a total of 115,000 health facilities around the world which helps tens of millions every year - 52 leper facilities, cares for 26% of HIV or AIDS suffers, or provide education to tens of millions, cares foor the dying, orphaned children.

You may be referring to the abuse and nobody justifies that but it is being blind to good that is something which destroys the faith in humanity too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Woah dudes - the Pope is even managing to destroy a nice thread.

He has THE POWAH.

And how is that harmful? I know the argument is "you're paying blah blah blah, all in your head etc etc", but once in a while it's nice to get a little external guidance for our chaotic minds. Personally I find it very relaxing.

Anyways back on topic, Stephen Fry. I do like his wit and that show QI. Those two rhyme and I didn't mean it, oh my! Oh how indifferent we could be to Stephen Fry.
    It can be harmful when people decide to stop taking tested medicine and replace it with that nonsense. Not to mention it's practitioners tend to try and create a skepticism towards actual medicine.

Yeah, I know what you mean, who could stand over an organisation that provides 55,000 hospitals or a total of 115,000 health facilities around the world which helps tens of millions every year - 52 leper facilities, cares for 26% of HIV or AIDS suffers, or provide education to tens of millions, cares foor the dying, orphaned children.

You may be referring to the abuse and nobody justifies that but it is being blind to good that is something which destroys the faith in humanity too.

Hitler built nice roads in Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

It can be harmful when people decide to stop taking tested medicine and replace it with that nonsense. Not to mention it's practitioners tend to try and create a skepticism towards actual medicine.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I agree. Great in theory, but what about the Vatican bank? What about all the expenses running the organisation? The extensive property they own? The massive art collection he is keeper of. Just the cost of one of his vestments(of which he has many) could save quite a number of starving children. The list is long. He is head of an organisation that is more about the organisation than the tenets behind it(and always has been). He's a relic Caesar in all but name and Jesus would be be asking WTF? if he was around today. Personally speaking, I'll take his pronouncements with a pinch of salt until such time as he doesnt go to sleep on best quality linen sheets surrounded by Raphaels on his walls.

Catholics have a right to worship, to pay for the facilities, to pay for the great work that the Catholic church provides in the world.

We saw in Britain how it was the Pope that brought how hundreds of thousands of people, we saw how he gives hope and joy to people, we saw him meet again victims of abuse and how the church must do more for them.

If the Pope is a relic, then the protest the Pope people must be ready for the last rites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Restores: Shane Meadows, the man is a godsend.
    Destroys: I have to say seeing that banker w**ker smiling leaving court in the paper, made me feel like a piece of sh*t, it really did, all this talk of transferring everything to his wife and kids to escape the sheriff just sickens me. If average wage me tried something like that i'd be locked up straight away.

Hitler built nice roads in Germany.

Congrats, you win the Godwin award.

Restores- people doing good without adding conditions to it.

Destroys- the human idea debating system.

People of one or no religion not leaving other people of different religions or no religion alone to believe what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Catholics have a right to worship, to pay for the facilities, to pay for the great work that the Catholic church provides in the world.

We saw in Britain how it was the Pope that brought how hundreds of thousands of people, we saw how he gives hope and joy to people, we saw him meet again victims of abuse and how the church must do more for them.

If the Pope is a relic, then the protest the Pope people must be ready for the last rites.

What's that got to do with him being surrounded by priceless works of art when he could be aucitioning them and giving the proceeds to people in need worldwide? What's wrong with living the simple humble life that Jesus did?

What's that got to do with him being surrounded by priceless works of art when he could be aucitioning them and giving the proceeds to people in need worldwide? What's wrong with living the simple humble life that Jesus did?

Depends who has legal title to these artworks. From what I have read many of the oft mentioned Vatican artworks are held through various trusts and the like. It would be similar to the Taoiseach liquidating the National Gallery.

• Advertisement

Damn straight I godwined

1 good deed does not eliminate 9 evil ones.

Humanity will be a step further towards enlightenment with out the catholic church.

This will be a milestone in the advancement of human kind as a species.

Backwards sheep who turn a blind eye to all wrong doings will eventually diminish. Its a matter of time but disappoints me that it'll not be in my life time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Catholics have a right to worship, to pay for the facilities,
    Why do you need a cathedral to worship in? Why does the priest need silk robes to help you? Jesus seemed to do OK and worshiped in fields and wasn't exactly wearing Armani.
    to pay for the great work that the Catholic church provides in the world.
    They do good work and many Catholics do so too. That is not at issue. What is at issue is that this is but a small part of the overall picture. Certainly in Vatican central.
    And he needs the vatican bank and all the rest to do this?
    I meant in the sense of him being the head of an organisation that was strongly based on the hierarchy of the Roman empire.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

prinz wrote: »
    Depends who has legal title to these artworks. From what I have read many of the oft mentioned Vatican artworks are held through various trusts and the like. It would be similar to the Taoiseach liquidating the National Gallery.

Nevertheless, the pope has full and absolute executive, legislative and judicial power over Vatican City. He is currently the only absolute monarch in Europe.
    -Wikipedia

If Pope don't like Trust, Pope dissolve trust.

If Pope don't like Trust, Pope dissolve trust.

Pope no have power to sell other people's stuff no more than Taoiseach.

prinz wrote: »
    Pope no have power to sell other people's stuff no more than Taoiseach.

Pope have power to decide what his and what is states as absolute ruler, and how state dissolves of assets as absolute ruler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Restores: Reading about Anne Calally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Restores: My girlfriend. :)
    Destroys: My wife. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Or they just really think he's a good person.

I think he's a brilliant man and I think it's refreshing seeing someone as warm and clever and genuine as Stephen in the spotlight. I love how popular he is with the UK despite being outspoken on being both gay and an atheist. I love the show QI, I love his documentaries. I love what he's given to the world. That man gives me faith in humanity.

Also love that he's a total nerd.

Really don't think that has anything to do with wanting to "appear intelligent."

**if** it's true he backed Polanski, when Polanski was arrested for sex offences against a child, he goes down in my estimation.

**if** it's true he backed Polanski, when Polanski was arrested for sex offences against a child, he goes down in my estimation.

I SERIOUSLY doubt he said anything of the sort. I've never heard of it before, and after some googling now I've not been able to turn up anything even remotely like that.

Pretty sure it's absolute trolling nonsense considering Stephen's stance on child abuse.

EDIT: This is the only list I could even find of celebrities who apparently supported Polanski, and Stephen's name is nowhere on that list according to ctrl+f.

http://www.popcrunch.com/celebrities-support-polanski/

And even then it's not credited at all whatsoever.

• Advertisement

I SERIOUSLY doubt he said anything of the sort. I've never heard of it before, and after some googling now I've not been able to turn up anything even remotely like that.

Pretty sure it's absolute trolling nonsense considering Stephen's stance on child abuse.

I couldn't find it either. :shrug:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I couldn't find it either. :shrug:
    Probably mixed him up with whoopie goldberg!

Probably mixed him up with whoopie goldberg!

Yea they're like 2 peas in a pod stephen fry and whoopie goldberg:D

He was probably taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My faith in humanity was restored a few months ago. I spent something like €29.35 in Tesco and put €50 into the self service checkout. The thing started going wrong and wouldn't give me my change for ages. By the time my change came out I forgot I had put in €50 so I took the coins and left €20 in the machine. I realised this a couple of minutes after I had left Tesco and went back to look for my money.

There was already a queue at the fast lane and it looked like a few people had already used the machine. I walked out and had given up when a man about my age came up to me and said "did you leave some money behind?". I replied "yes" and he handed me my €20. I couldn't believe it.

My faith in humanity is destroyed when someone I don't even know decides to shout abuse at me in the middle of the street for no reason.

I hate to see animals being treated like crap too. There's few things that will destroy my faith in humanity like watching a gang of teenagers throwing cans or stones at swans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

[URL="http://"][/URL]

He is quite happy to take a roll in Polanski's next film. Some stance on child abuse.

davrho wrote: »
    He is quite happy to take a roll in Polanski's next film. Some stance on child abuse.

Which fillm?

• Advertisement

EDIT: Nevermind.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000410/

See nothing about Sherlock Holmes 2 there.

EDIT: Nevermind.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000410/

See nothing about Sherlock Holmes 2 there.

Guy Ritchie is doing Sherlock Holmes 2, sadly. If it was by Polanski, it might be morally distasteful, but it'd be a much better film.

Guy Ritchie is doing Sherlock Holmes 2, sadly. If it was by Polanski, it might be morally distasteful, but it'd be a much better film.

It's just when I was googling for these apparent quotes of Fry supporting Polanski I kept seeing Sherlock Holmes 2 popping up and assumed a connection. Assumption error on my part!

After further research the Fry-bashing is, yet again, based on absolute bollocks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, it's not really harmful until people start using it to treat things that need proper therapeutic interventions.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

It's just when I was googling for these apparent quotes of Fry supporting Polanski I kept seeing Sherlock Holmes 2 popping up and assumed a connection. Assumption error on my part!

After further research the Fry-bashing is, yet again, based on absolute bollocks.

Are you in denial that Fry and Polanski are friends. What makes Polanski different from any other child abuser that Fry professes to hate?

• Advertisement
Advertisement