Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guard dog / Pet in Limerick

• 27-09-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Someone tried to rob my parents house last night, so along with a number of other things we're getting a guard dog for them.
    I was thinking an alsation.
    He would need to be well trained as my mother is 70 and has lots of little grandkids.
    We're in the country and have lots of land to install a proper run etc for him
    Any advice?
    Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Have you concidered a good set of security cameras and sensor lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

A dog is one of the best deterients for home invaders. Should really refer to that breed of dog as a German Shepherd rather than Alsation as too many negative connotations with the latter. They are a brilliant dog and easy to train however the training is continuous. If you get a good female she will be very maternal and look over your parents at night and will certainly bark loudly if she hears someone outside at night. They have a pretty ferocious bark and if the hallway is tiled will echo around the place. No better deterient in my book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

homerhop wrote: »
    Have you concidered a good set of security cameras and sensor lights?
    What breed of dog is that?

A dog is one of the best deterients for home invaders. Should really refer to that breed of dog as a German Shepherd rather than Alsation as too many negative connotations with the latter. They are a brilliant dog and easy to train however the training is continuous. If you get a good female she will be very maternal and look over your parents at night and will certainly bark loudly if she hears someone outside at night. They have a pretty ferocious bark and if the hallway is tiled will echo around the place. No better deterient in my book
    Know of any trainers in Limerick area?

There was a good trainer around Limerick (but this is going back a few years) kennels were known as blitzhunde kennels. There was a website with contact details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I understand how you want to protect your parents, and a big scary dog seems a good idea, but who will exercise the dog and train it? You say your parents are in their 70s, what if the dog jumps up and knocks one of them? Or one or both of them get sick and needs care in the home or outside it?
    These are all things to consider, I'm not trying to put you off, just make sure you have thought this through.
    Really any dog would do, medium sized mutt would probably be best, not too big and not small enough to trip them. There's loads in rescues and any dog kept in around the house would guard it.
    I have two dogs and both are great house dogs, live with us in the house, will bark if someone opens the gate or even the next door neighbours gate, no one would get in with them.
    Honestly, any guard will tell you that ANY dog that will bark is a deterrent and puts off robbers. A large guard type dog, with older people may cause a whole load of other problems.

That is a good point as German Shepherds do require a lot of care and attention. I have to be up at half six to bring mine for a run before work. Not complaining as good for me and good for them. The thing is they require this whatever the weather.

Properlhy trainined though and they should never jump up on your parents. They should not even require a lead and shouldd walk beside them (although lead and muzzle required by law)

They are terrific company though and are great with children.

Dr Nic wrote: »
    What breed of dog is that?
    It was just an alternative suggestion sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

German Sheps are great dogs but they can be strong and not for the first time dog owner. Most burgulars would see any dog as a noise deterent.

Like what other posters have mentioned you have to take into account the excercise and other factors.

I know for a fact that the village that I lived in was mapped by say unsavorouy characters the guards raided their house to find that the houses of our village were mapped out. All houses with dogs where marked with X. and some of the houses that were not marked where burgled so it does prove that any sort of a dog would suit. Keeping this in mind would suggest whatever your parents can manage,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Any dog will be a deterrant once they live inside the house....no good having a dog in a pen or outside as makes no difference to thieves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

We have a Westie (West Highland White).

Absolutely wonderful guard dog. The garden is his. He doesn't let anyone he doesn't know into the garden. Yet if you formally introduce him to someone, he becomes their best friend.

Nice small dog, easily walked and they don't need a huge amount of space. And they make a huge amount of noise when barking.

Thanks Guys for all the replies.
    My parents are very, very active and well able to handle dogs. My Dad is still full time farming.
    An old lady up the road from me had an alsation for years. I loved that dog
    And its an alsation we will be getting too...
    Just a matter of getting her trained well now

Would thieves come 2 nights in a row? There are 6 shotguns beside the fire, and plenty of volunteers to man them. No need of a dog ever again if we get a visitor tonight

There are 6 shotguns beside the fire
    If yor house has 6 shotguns it should legally have a monitored alarm installed not to mention the outcome of having them left out like that if the house was broken into. Also by stating such a thing you are implying premeditation which could land you in more hot water than those trying to break into your parents house.

Lol - premeditation? Against someone that we dont know, nor have ever met or even seen?
    Get real will you...

Thanks for the advice on the dogs. Which you didnt give i see. Have you anything useful to add to this thread or are you just one of those? I hope you never have to be in the situation where your 70 year old mother phones you with the fear of God in her voice.

To all who did help, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

homerhop is correct in what he said, you dont have to know the person, you have six firearms in a house waiting for someone to break in, i think its you that needs to get real, no decent shooter would act like that, gives use decent ones a bad name

Lol - premeditation? Against someone that we dont know, nor have ever met or even seen?
    Get real will you...

Thanks for the advice on the dogs. Which you didnt give i see. Have you anything useful to add to this thread or are you just one of those? I hope you never have to be in the situation where your 70 year old mother phones you with the fear of God in her voice.

To all who did help, thanks very much.

yes premeditation ......
    There are 6 shotguns beside the fire, and plenty of volunteers to man them. No need of a dog ever again if we get a visitor tonight
    your words not mine.
    If you knew anything about the law you would understand that your firearms should be secured and because there are 6 firearms, the house is legally required to have a monitored alarm. You would also know that you need to justify the amount of force you use in self defence even with the new law changes.
    You dont know what situations any poster has been in who reply to threads. Also as much and all as we love our animals, a dog in the witness bench just wont have the same effect as a cctv recording, and since you are also one of those? a jack russel or terrier will make as much noise as an alsatian and can be kept in the house with your parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

the shep sounds like a good idea great dog and a serious bark and as you say he is going to be trained well and your parents will be able to handle him.and im sure if something happened were your parents were not there there would be someone to step in to help out with the dog. best of luck finding the dog . and get a big beware sign for the front of the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 catspajamas

Hi

we also have a German Shepherd ( or Alsatian) He is 3 years old and fantastic around my own small kids and 20 or so nieces & nephews

But please consider the advice on the extent of training & care - it is constant -- training is ongoing - as in daily re-enforcement

there are a number of dogs on our lane ( its a bit like a rural cul-de-sac) and its worth noting the Labs and jack Russell's are far more aggressive than our dog !

1 last point - German Shepherds are fabulous family dogs but never ever leave a small child alone with any dog

for 1 thing small kids are unpredictable and even the best calmest dog could over react to a curious kid pulling at them

I really hope your parents are left in peace now - Its a horrible crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Were the thieves after the guns? Maybe get rid of them, certain nomadic and city criminal people are very very attracted to them.

Your folks are in their 70's and your dad runs a farm full time? They won't have time to constantly (cause it's every day with dogs like this!) train, groom, feed, control, exercise and look after a German Shepard, the dog will still still in it's prime when they are getting in to their eighties. Plus, you have no guarantee a pup will grow up to be a good guarder. I know German Shepards and six guns is all very macho, but Nomerhop is right. I would spend your (or their) money on a decent alarm and a terrier.

Sorry to hear about the break in, hope your folks recover from the shock soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Just another day in the doggie stereotyping world! Having a big bad GSD all locked up in a run in the yard . . .I would hate to be born a shep or any other guarding breed!! If your dog sleeps outside and lives outside in a run he will protect his run not your house. Get a dog if you want a loyal friend and family member not for any other reason because its an accident waiting to happen. . kid kicks ball over wall dog attacks kid, dog gets out of run and attacks another dog. . if not raised as a family member they cant be expected to live as a family member and protect like a family member. Having your parents house broken into is an awful awful thing any many of us see red and go on the security rampage but getting a dog just for that is not the answer. Like posted before any dog inside a house no matter if its a little terrier mutt or a big bad guarding breed is a deterent for robbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Hi Guys,
    Someone tried to rob my parents house last night, so along with a number of other things we're getting a guard dog for them.
    I was thinking an alsation.
    He would need to be well trained as my mother is 70 and has lots of little grandkids.
    We're in the country and have lots of land to install a proper run etc for him
    Any advice?
    Thanks
    John

I think a German shepherd dog (the more politically correct term for an Alsation) would be an ideal candidate for this job. Loyal with a strong bark, they'll fit the bill for alerting you to possible intruders.

Never mind what the majority of holier-than-thou pet owners here say, I'm sure your parents would be well capable of looking after a dog like this, even in their senior years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

cjf wrote: »
    If your dog sleeps outside and lives outside in a run he will protect his run not your house.

That's not necessarily true. I have family members who live half a mile in off the road and their working dogs sleep outside in various sheds and stables. However, the minute a car turns in off the road they are up like a shot and standing ready to protect the house and yard and their humans in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

My parents had a farm and a German Shepherd in their 70's and had no issue with him whatsoever. German Sheps love farm life, out and about with their owners all day, it could not be much better for a Shep!
    They had no issue with his strength or training him (which they did themselves) and it was a huge relief for the rest of the family. The dog was very well taken care of and had a great life. He also slept outside and during the day circled the house when not inside. He started to bark for the postman when he was at the neighbours house down the road..................I digress! the more I remember about the dog the more I remember how great he was.:D
    I suppose not every 70 year old is frail and shakey some are very fit and strong, like mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

ppink wrote: »
    I suppose not every 70 year old is frail and shakey some are very fit and strong, like mine.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that the OP'sparents are frail & shakey.

But I personally can't help but wonder how a couple in their 80's will cope with the exercise requirements of a 10yr old GSD...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that the OP'sparents are frail & shakey.

But I personally can't help but wonder how a couple in their 80's will cope with the exercise requirements of a 10yr old GSD...

Well most GSD dogs die at around 10 years so at that age the dog would be considered elderly. Chances are he won't be fit or indeed require much exercise at that stage of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Agree, I never said that people here were saying that. It is the thing that pops into most peoples mind when talking about older people though (in my experience)

so why do you think it would be difficult for someone in their 80's to exercise a 10yrold GSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Im in my twenties and I can barely keep up with my dobie chap! My mam is fit and healthy at 50(ish!) and I dont think she could handle his daily exercise requirements over a long period of time. When my chap is 10 I hope he will be as fit, healthy and active as he is now! So I agree a couple in their 80's may well find they need assistance with exercising a dog as big and active as a shep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The problem I have with any dog being used as security is the vast majority aren't trained for the job or haven't the temperament required to do it.
    The reason an untrained dog is so dangerous is because unlike a trained guard dog who will always look for a command from a handler to bark or attack an untrained dog is left to make up it's own mind who and when to attack. This could mean as mentioned a child retrieving a ball, a postman, a visitor to you're home etc. A dog is a dog you can't expect them to make such a decision for themselves.
    IMO as I've said before if you want a pet get a dog, if you want security get an alarm or CCTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

ppink wrote: »
    My parents had a farm and a German Shepherd in their 70's and had no issue with him whatsoever

Bully for you. My Grandad handled a 36 foot sailing trawler every day in his seventies. Not everyone is the same, and not every dog is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

One thing I would be careful about and its just my experience, is that alot of the traditional guard dog type dogs, GSD, Dobbie, Rottie etc dont "turn on" to guarding as early in life as other dogs, and as result these dogs tend to end up in shelters quite young as the people who got them expected them to be a guard dog from the word go and it doesnt happen like that for all dogs

Advertisement