Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuting from Kildare to Dublin via Grand Canal

• 27-09-2010 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Anyone know if it's possible to commute to Dublin from Sallins, along the Grand Canal, on a road bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

I have done this on a mtb as far as celbridge from sallins and it was fairly heavy going
    dont think a road bike would work maybe a cyclo cross bike

first bit to kileen golf club is okay after that there is a lot of mud.

be careful i slipped one day and fell into canal

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I've been thinking about this route myself, although I haven't tried it yet.
    I think the path is ok from Hazelhatch in, and they seem to be leaving some of those gates open (else its a dismount every 1km). Some people have complained of being attacked along there too (see Review of Grand Canal cycle route). How are you going now? N7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭mayan

In short, no!

The first few sections are rough path / grass. Then the road sections up to Ardclough and then down behind lyons estate to Newcastle are actually rougher than the canal tow paths.
    Then its gravel track up to McEvoys pub at Hazelhatch and a long stretch of singletrack (which gets pretty wet and boggy this time of year) to Finnstown, where you join the new canal-super-highway-bike-path

There are plenty of back roads that may be a little longer, but they’re definitely quicker. Riding any of the route on skinny slicks would be a challenge, not a lot of fun, and also pretty pointless, as it doesn't give you any time saving. I ride a cross bike down the canal and it takes longer than the quickest road route, but it is a really nice route, with very little traffic and makes for good ‘cross training in the mud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Attila the Hun

Not commuting from there at the moment. I don't suppose there's a cycle route along the N7 into town?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I don't suppose there's a cycle route along the N7 into town?
    From the Belgard rd junction there is a split Bike/QBC lane, but before that its the hard shoulder - not worse than most dual-carriage N-roads. Quite a few cyclists do use it. Once on the Red Cow r'about, its a matter of asserting your right to be there, no soft options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭mayan

seriously, avoid the N7, the hard shoulder is big enough and probably safe enough. But there's a lot of slip roads on and off and cars fly on and off at stupid speeds and every time you have to cross one of the slip roads its a potential disaster.

There's a lot of back roads either north or south of the N7 that pretty much run parallel to it, so depending on where you're headed in town, there will be an alternative

Advertisement