Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Generation Mobile Data Pricing

• 27-09-2010 11:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Voda got an LTE spectrum licence in May and are now launching their 4g LTE service in Germany.

These are retail packages inc VAT on their new spectrum. They have a lot more of this spectrum than they do of the old 3G blocks.

http://www.telegeography.com/cu/article.php?article_id=34555&email=html

Vodafone is offering three LTE subscription plans, under the ‘LTE Zuhause’ ( LTE @ Home) banner:

1. the top-end package costs EUR69.99 (USD94.40) per month for maximum speeds of 50Mbps with 30GB of data.
    2. a package offering maximum download speeds of 21.6Mbps and 15GB of data is priced at EUR49.99 per month.
    3. A lower-end option costs EUR39.99 per month offering download speeds of up to 7.2Mbps with 10GB of data.

Existing Vodafone post-paid customers are able to subscribe to the packages for EUR10 less per month.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I can't wait for LTE. Gonna be great as long as it is affordable that is.

Thanks Bob :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I can't wait for LTE.

But you must, no spectrum will be available here until 2012 I would think ( thanks to Comreg) , more in 2013 and the large and relatively useless 2.5ghz block not until 2015 earliest and perhaps 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It will cost more than Metro or UPC, unless they subsidise it. It's for serious MOBILE users. Put loads of fixed users and the performance will plummet to 1/4 or 1/10th of purely mobile usage.

I blogged about this on 6th September 2010

Also mentioned on Ireland Offline forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056023902

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Those speeds seem pointless to me with the download caps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You won't get those speeds. Assume that if they have really really massive spectrum the speed will be x4 3G/HSPA Mobile

Also it's for MOBILE. How much cap you going to use Mobile? Besides CAP is how congestion & Contention is managed. You can EITHER have x4 cap and same as 3G speed, or same cap and x4 users and same speed as 3G, or SAME cap and x 4 speed and same number of users ... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement