Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of address to open a bank account in the UK

Options
  • 27-09-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I've just moved to London and will be moving into a place this Saturday. It's a fairly loose agreement and I'm subletting so won't have any bills with my name on them to serve of proof of address.

If I was to ring up my Irish bank, tell them that I have moved and request a statement to my UK address, would that be acceptable as proof of address to open a bank account here? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Will my Irish bank accept a change of address just over the phone or will they require something more?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

BOI atleast need something in writing, I assume it would be the same with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Shzm wrote: »
    BOI atleast need something in writing, I assume it would be the same with others.

Do you mean a written request from me or a proof of address document for the new residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Just something in writing should do it, no actual proof required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 chandu72

I recenty moved to UK and had a similar problem. I had taken contents insurance policy (as advised by barclays staff member) on my rented house in UK from Barclays and opened account using that as a proof of residence. I cancelled my insruance as soon as i opened account with no insurance premium. I think Barclays won't charge anything till particular date.
    3DataModem wrote: »
    Just something in writing should do it, no actual proof required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Hi Breadmonkey.

I work for a bank in London so may be able to help you on this.

To open an account where I work you will need 2 proofs of address. What we accept are the following:

Council Tax bill
    Other bank statement dated within the last 3 months
    Utility bill dated within the last 3 months
    Letter from the tax office with info on your tax coding.
    An NHS card.
    A letter from the job centre showing your NI number.

If you have any questions just let me know.

Advertisement