Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking In Residential Areas

Options
  • 27-09-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Looking for some info regarding this, I've looked up Council and Citizens advice websites and aside from finding nothing, I've yet to receive a reply to my enquiries. So if anyone can offer some info it would be greatly appreciated.

We are homeowners in a very quiet residential estate. Over the past few months a neighbour has taken to parking a sizable commerial vehicle in the bay opposite our home. The bay is rarely used, and acts more as a space for visitors etc as most homes here can accomodate several vehicles per driveway. This may seem like a very trivial matter, but it is very irritating to see a large bright Green + Red transit style van right directly oppsosite the house, when it could easily be shifted to a spot opposite the owner of said vehicles home. We paid a lot of money for the house and we don't enjoy looking out at this van!

Would it be unreasonable to ask the individual to park outside his own property where possible? And are there any defined laws on parking commercial vehicles in estates???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Have you spoken to the owner of the van about this? I would have thought that would be the first thing to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If this was a lorry/HGV there would be a solution as they need a nominated parking space.
    There are regulations for vehicles over 3 tonnes. Does a van fit under that?

This doesn't seem to be a private area so I would think there is no management company.

Ask your local community garda and your local counillor.
    If it is causing an obstruction so cars can't pass by they may help

If you tell them it's "unsightly" they'll laugh at you, sorry

Adrift wrote: »
    Would it be unreasonable to ask the individual to park outside his own property where possible?

But before you go reading websites, have you even talked to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

It is in the bay opposite your home, not the bay outside your home, so no, there's nothing you can do about it.

What I can't understand is why you'd want to do anything about it. What harm is it doing to you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Speaking to them calmly first is your best option now.

I'd approach it very casually and consider it a request for a favour for you as it doesn't sound like you've any rights whatsoever, if your driveway has space for cars then it's not causing you any trouble other than looking bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What I can't understand is why you'd want to do anything about it. What harm is it doing to you?!

It's eye-offending apparently
    ..it is very irritating to see ..We paid a lot of money for the house and we don't enjoy looking out at this van!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Distorted

As an add on to what has already been said, one way to tackle this might be as a sort of side issue. Does the business which he runs require a license to be granted from the local council? If so, complain to the licensing department that he isn't a fit and proper person to run such a business because it necessitates a nuisance being caused to his residential neighbours when taking home the equipment for his trade. But I would speak to him first, to judge his attitude on the matter.

Distorted wrote: »
    As an add on to what has already been said, one way to tackle this might be as a sort of side issue. Does the business which he runs require a license to be granted from the local council? If so, complain to the licensing department that he isn't a fit and proper person to run such a business because it necessitates a nuisance being caused to his residential neighbours when taking home the equipment for his trade. But I would speak to him first, to judge his attitude on the matter.

Wow really? This is a person trying to make a living and you want to report him for being unfit to run a business? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

He is parking the Van opposite my property so he doesn't have to look at it from his!!! As I pointed out earlier he could easily park it opposite his own home. There is always space in the bay, which has space for 6 vehicles and is almost always empty.

What harm? It's now blocking our view of fields and an area of green which ourselves and other residents did a lot of work on last year, as I said, we didn't spend a lot of money on the place just to look at a commercial van.
    Have you spoken to the owner of the van about this? I would have thought that would be the first thing to do!

No, I haven't gone in to him yet. I'm aware to most this would seem a trivial matter so I am hestitant to ask about it just yet. I was just looking for opinions from people who may have had similar experiences first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

You would report him for being unfit to run a business, and therefore possibly cause that person to lose the business they run, because they park a van/lorry on their road, but just not outside their house?

Are you the most spiteful person ever?

No, I haven't gone in to him yet.

Do this today and report back if it doesn't get solved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Yes, excellent. Let's put a guy out a business because his van is "lowering the tone" of the area. Unemployment is looking a bit low at the moment after all :rolleyes:

Assuming it is parked neatly, how is it a nuisance ?

OP, are we talking a Ford Transit van size? if I were you I would go talk nicely to your neighbour. You've no grounds to get demanding with him over it, but if you approach it nicely, he might accomodate you in the interest of maintaining good relations with his neighbours.

Failing that, maybe don't spend so much time gawking out your window.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Talk to the owner first before taking any further action. Involving anyone else at this point is only going to get their back up and make the situation a whole lot less likely of being resolved.

Also, why not park one of your own cars in the bay for a while so the van owner cant park there?

First of all, I've no intention of running anyone out of business.

Assuming it is parked neatly, how is it a nuisance ?

OP, are we talking a Ford Transit van size? if I were you I would go talk nicely to your neighbour. You've no grounds to get demanding with him over it, but if you approach it nicely, he might accomodate you in the interest of maintaining good relations with his neighbours.

Yes, it's parked neatly. But it's transit size, and to reiterate- he parks it directly opposite our home as opposed to his own. There is nothing beyond the bay other than trees fields etc etc so yes it lowers the tone of the area and detracts from the view.

Failing that, maybe don't spend so much time gawking out your window.

Mate, I don't have to gawk out the window to see this thing. I can see it from the far corner of my living room.

I'll go in this evening and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jesus christ, do you work yourself?

djimi wrote: »
    Also, why not park one of your own cars in the bay for a while so the van owner cant park there?

+1 that's a good idea, once you don't get clamped or anything?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

What harm? It's now blocking our view of fields and an area of green which ourselves and other residents did a lot of work on last year, as I said, we didn't spend a lot of money on the place just to look at a commercial van.

Unfortunately you don't own the view from your windows, so you can't really complain on those grounds.

If the guy's house happened to be opposite you and he parked his van outside his house, would you still complain that it was blocking your view of his house? Or if he just parked it across the road from his house?

Would you complain if the guy had a range rover instead of the van? Maybe you could just ask him to sell his van and buy a range rover or other more socially 'acceptable' vehicle just to keep you happy.

There are an awful lot worse things that could be happening where you live and in the grand scheme of things it would seem that you're just being overly fussy and begrudging a guy who's actually getting out there to try and make living so he can provide for his family and pay his mortgage. There's always going to be something in an estate that bugs an individual, but if it's not something really OTT then just let it go. There are an awful lot more things to be worried about than a guy parking his van outside your house, even if it is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lostaccount

To be fair to the op, obviously the owners of the van don't want to look at it either or they would park it in the free space outside their house!

reprazant wrote: »
    You would report him for being unfit to run a business, and therefore possibly cause that person to lose the business they run, because they park a van/lorry on their road, but just not outside their house?

Are you the most spiteful person ever?

Oh for goodness sake, what an overreaction. Where I live, to have any kind of license, a person has to prove they are a fit and proper person. Any member of the public is entitled to make a legitimate complaint about the way they run their business. It doesn't mean they will lose it, it simply means that the department in charge of awarding licenses will contact them to investigate the matter and/or hold a hearing at which they may have to offer reassurance that the problem will not reoccur. If it is the sort of business that requires a license, then it would seem the obvious course of action to contact the licensing authority in this matter as other people should not suffer because of someone else's commercial activities. If you read the OP's comments, you will see that the van owner has plenty of other places to park within reach of his own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭milkycoffey

Oh for goodness sake, what an overreaction. Where I live, to have any kind of license, a person has to prove they are a fit and proper person. Any member of the public is entitled to make a legitimate complaint about the way they run their business. It doesn't mean they will lose it, it simply means that the department in charge of awarding licenses will contact them to investigate the matter and/or hold a hearing at which they may have to offer reassurance that the problem will not reoccur. If it is the sort of business that requires a license, then it would seem the obvious course of action to contact the licensing authority in this matter as other people should not suffer because of someone else's commercial activities. If you read the OP's comments, you will see that the van owner has plenty of other places to park within reach of his own home.

Calling you spiteful is an overreaction, yet making a complain about whether a person is fit to run a business because of where they park their car is not?

Right.

Calling you spiteful is an overreaction, yet making a complain about whether a person is fit to run a business because of where they park their car is not?

Right.

Well, first of all I'm not the one complaining but I sympathise with the OP. I and most other people manage to run their working lives without disturbing the peace of other people relaxing in their homes. We don't even know if the person requires a license but all I'm saying is that, if he does, like anyone else, he is required to adhere to certain standards of behaviour and it is the sort of complaint a licensing authority might send out a letter about. Its hardly going to be the end of his life.

The term "fit and proper person" is a legal term where I am based. Any person holding a license must be a fit and proper person. If they behave in a way which indicates they are not, they won't be granted a license. Its just terminology from another jurisdiction. Try not to get too hung up on it. Other countries exist too.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately you don't own the view from your windows, so you can't really complain on those grounds.

You're right, I don't own that view. But if you were in my position, paid a top price for a home in a scenic location, along with a selection of residents devote money and time each year to keep the area behind said parking bay looking attractive, you'd be peeved if you now had a van to look at every evening.
    If the guy's house happened to be opposite you and he parked his van outside his house, would you still complain that it was blocking your view of his house? Or if he just parked it across the road from his house?

Short answer, no. That's clearly not the same thing.

Most of you seem to be missing the point here which is
    To be fair to the op, obviously the owners of the van don't want to look at it either or they would park it in the free space outside their house!

Surely common sense and courtesy would dictate the van goes in the slot opposite the owners home????

Anyways popped into him last night, he reckons he is within his rights to park anywhere he wishes in the bay, which I have to accept. I appealed to him to park opposite his own home where possible (Which would be 90% of the time) to no avail. So I'll have to take an earlier suggestion of parking our own car in that slot in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

You do realise that it's not your neighbours problem if you overpaid for your house ? Regardless of how much you paid, you didnt "buy" the view outside your house. Only those who buy detached homes and the land around their homes do.

At least you've accepted his response. That said, if I were your neighbour and you complained to me about it, and then starting parking your car in the spot across the road instead of in your own driveway, I would be thinking "Christ, has this guy got nothing better to worry about?"

btw, I'm not trying to get at you. I just don't get how people get so precious about the roads outside their homes in general.

You do realise that it's not your neighbours problem if you overpaid for your house ? Regardless of how much you paid, you didnt "buy" the view outside your house. Only those who buy detached homes and the land around their homes do.

At least you've accepted his response. That said, if I were your neighbour and you complained to me about it, and then starting parking your car in the spot across the road instead of in your own driveway, I would be thinking "Christ, has this guy got nothing better to worry about?"

btw, I'm not trying to get at you. I just don't get how people get so precious about the roads outside their homes in general

I didn't overpay for the house??

So, If you were in my position, had an awesome view for the first few years in your home until someone moved in next door and takes to ruining your view with a bright transit van, you would think that's ok?

As for being precious about a bit of road? Yeah, why not? I've plenty to concern myself with but this just defies the laws of common sense.

most homes here can accomodate several vehicles per driveway.

Wow, many home owners would love that.
    Several vehicles, you say, nice home! :cool:

A work vehicle probably contains stock or maybe tools and tools cost thousands. Likely target for theft and I wonder why he does't use his driveway if it's as big as you say.
    So I'll have to take an earlier suggestion of parking our own car in that slot in the evenings.

And yet you're going to pay in the parking bay and not your massive driveway?
    Well it'll solve the issue alright, until the day he gets home before you or maybe you are away, will there be a race every evening?
    Are you going to buy a banger and leave it there?

I think you'll be posting here again in a few months again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Take a picture or something of this 'awesome' view the van is blocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lostaccount

Op, did you ask him why he wasn't parking the van outside his home or did he give any reason why he was using that particular spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Hi Adrift,

While I agree you have no legal right to the view outside your home, I know how frustrating it can be to have someone constantly park infront of your house regularly when they have other facilities. Here's what we did.....

In-laws had a couple move in beside them who barely even said hello. They did alot of work to their house & obviously decided they didn't want the look of their house ruined by parked cars so they would park infront of my in-laws (they had room in their driveway for about 3 cars & on road infront for 2, but kept them all clear).

While legally there was nothing wrong with this, it did annoy the in-laws who had lived there for almost 40 years & never had neighbours like them.

So we managed to borrow a clapped out, eye-sore of a van from someone & parked it infront of their house. The neighbours were around to complain within hours to get it moved. Father in law said calmly that a friend was going on hols & was leaving it for a week. He would have parked infront of their house but "your" cars were there. Terrible sorry, friend will be back in a week to retrieve it. Neighbour not happy, but nothing he could do as it was fully taxed, insured etc.

Never happened again (and luckily they moved about 6 months later).

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Commercial vehicles should be left on commercial property, end of story, too many estates are ruined by absolute eyesores clogging up driveways and common areas. Thats the life these guys chose, it shouldnt be imposed on everyone else.

My only hope for OP is that this guy is a renter and will eventually move on. Given his pig-headedness when asked nicley Im sure you dont care what happens to him.

Op, did you ask him why he wasn't parking the van outside his home or did he give any reason why he was using that particular spot?

Yeah, he was very evasive when it came to this. Just kept repeating the question "What does it matter where it's parked" and maintaining that he was within his rights to park anywhere in the bay. The latter I accept, but the first answer, not a chance.
    While legally there was nothing wrong with this

I've accepted this from the beginning. All I was asking him was, where possibel to keep it opposite his own place. Thanks for the other info little A, sounds like that worked for your in laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

give a tenner to some scobes, they will know what to do.

Advertisement