Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking In Residential Areas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Distorted

Adrift wrote: »
    Yeah, he was very evasive when it came to this. Just kept repeating the question "What does it matter where it's parked" and maintaining that he was within his rights to park anywhere in the bay. The latter I accept, but the first answer, not a chance.

Its just a matter of social skills really. Its a small issue, but if you live in an estate where houses are close together but still private, respecting your neighbour's privacy should go without saying. I must admit I think people are overly fussy when they moan about cars parking on the public road outside their houses but it seems that this chap does it nightly and not just when he can't find a bay near his own house.

What kind of business is it OP? Does he have his business details printed on his van? You would think for security and convenience he would want it parked nearer his own house, its almost like he doesn't want it associated with the address he is living at...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I really dont understand the abuse the OP is getting on this. We had a neighbour do the same, this time on the house side of the road. They would leave their work vehicle (a huge truck masquerading as a people carrier) outside both houses while leaving their driveway clear 100% of the time.
    Thanksfully they moved on but its not very nice to look out your windows at a truck instead of the green fields you expect to see.

He is obviously aware its an eyesore otherwise he would park it outside his own house. Some people are just ignorant, you have to accept that and decide if its worth your while to "fight" them over it or hope they move.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

What kind of business is it OP?

I'm fairly sure he is in the furniture business.

He is obviously aware its an eyesore otherwise he would park it outside his own house

This is it, If it was my van I would definitely make the effort to keep it either in my own driveway or opposite my own home where reasonably possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Yeah, he was very evasive when it came to this. Just kept repeating the question "What does it matter where it's parked" and maintaining that he was within his rights to park anywhere in the bay. The latter I accept, but the first answer, not a chance.

I know that if I had a comercial vehicle I'd imagine that I'd want it where I can keep an eye on it so I'd suspect that he's evasive because he's claiming the social and doesn't want some random inspector asking awkward questions about why a commercial work vehicle is parked outside his home.
    There is little that you can do of course except park there yourself until he gets the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

minotour wrote: »
    Commercial vehicles should be left on commercial property, end of story, too many estates are ruined by absolute eyesores clogging up driveways and common areas. Thats the life these guys chose, it shouldnt be imposed on everyone else.

this.

OP, check the tax disc and if it is commercial tax report him for tax fraud, as he is using the vehicle for purposes other than commercial (ie using it to get home).

harsh but fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fuzzy wrote: »
    give a tenner to some scobes, they will know what to do.

Advocating illegal behaviour is not acceptable.

I think quite a few of you are being a bit precious. I would much prefer if car owners didn't park on the street, but there seems to be some snobbery factor over it being a van and not a car.

Remember when streets were used for transport and as a common social space and not as a location for the storage of personal property?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Victor wrote: »
    Advocating illegal behaviour is not acceptable.

I think quite a few of you are being a bit precious. I would much prefer if car owners didn't park on the street, but there seems to be some snobbery factor over it being a van and not a car.

Remember when streets were used for transport and as a common social space and not as a location for the storage of personal property?
    Sorry Victor, I didn´t realise I was being illegal. I will check the charter next time.

Keep up the good wotrk, I´m a big fan of your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

minotour wrote: »
    Commercial vehicles should be left on commercial property, end of story, too many estates are ruined by absolute eyesores clogging up driveways and common areas. Thats the life these guys chose, it shouldnt be imposed on everyone else.

My only hope for OP is that this guy is a renter and will eventually move on. Given his pig-headedness when asked nicley Im sure you dont care what happens to him.

would you ever ask me bollix.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

christmas is coming soon, why not paint a nice picture of santa and rudolph on your window to look at

this.

OP, check the tax disc and if it is commercial tax report him for tax fraud, as he is using the vehicle for purposes other than commercial (ie using it to get home).

harsh but fair

you as well. ffs give it a rest- i used to drive a commercial vehicle (albeit a small one) and i have to tell you- driving it homeis entirely legal:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

thebullkf wrote: »
    you as well. ffs give it a rest- i used to drive a commercial vehicle (albeit a small one) and i have to tell you- driving it homeis entirely legal:rolleyes:

if a vehicle is commercially taxed it can only be used for commercial purposes. driving home from work is not a valid commercial purpose hence not allowed. if it has a private tax disc then there is no issue.

Just because you did it doesn't mean its illegal, just generally ignored by the law. If you bothered to read the documentation you sign in the motor office when taxing it you'd have seen the declaration you have to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I didn't overpay for the house??
    I'm thinking if you paid a lot for your house, so did he, and thus he's parking his van elsewhere.

=-=

Unless he's parking in front of yours to ensure no-one cops that
    a) he's working
    or
    b) he's self employed
    if a vehicle is commercially taxed it can only be used for commercial purposes. driving home from work is not a valid commercial purpose hence not allowed. if it has a private tax disc then there is no issue.
    We do not know if his home is his registered business address.

the_syco wrote: »
    We do not know if his home is his registered business address.

true, that would be a valid exception

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Just because you did it doesn't mean its illegal, just generally ignored by the law. If you bothered to read the documentation you sign in the motor office when taxing it you'd have seen the declaration you have to make.

Its not that black and white in fairness. Very easy to say Ive got a home office that I need to drive to to work. Bingo driving home now is for commercial purposes.

I have to agree with Victor the snobbory about a van here is off the charts. You dont own the view so tough luck and seriously how much time do people actually spending looking out their living room window ?

To say your issue is that your view is blocked isnt credible. The only people I know who would spending time regularly looking out their window onto the street are thos enoesey neightbours we all love to hate.

OP at least be honest your issue is you dont like the look of the van its not posh enough for you. You can trot this blocking my view nonsense but its just not credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

this.

harsh but fair

not fair at all really

in fact its quite a pathetic thing to recommend to do.

the guy can park where he wants, much like the OP can do the same.

event wrote: »
    not fair at all really

in fact its quite a pathetic thing to recommend to do.

reporting someone for tax fraud* is pathetic? Grow up

*if it turns out he ha commercial tax and his home is not registered business address

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

*if it turns out he ha commercial tax and his home is not registered business address

over the type of "tax fraud" you are suggesting is pathetic.

in that case, build a new jail as the majority of work vehicles are registered for commercial Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Are you willing to fall out with this guy over something as minor as a van parked in front of your house, blocking a view you don't own?

If yes, then I think you really need to get your priorities in order. What happens if this guy later decides to build a huge extension which destroys the 'tone' of your street, or rents to tenants who turn out to be neighbours from hell? If you've fallen out with him over the van, then it's likely that he won't give you the time of day in the future.

We all have neighbours who do things that annoy us, or park their cars in places which inconvenience us, or start drilling at 8am on a Sunday morning after I've had a late night, but there are certain things that I would be inclined to let pass so that if something more serious crops up, then I'm not deemed to be unreasonable.

As for reporting the guy re commercial tax for his van: if he's investigated, do you really think he's not going to twig where the tip off came from? If you go down this road, you're going to end up with a 'tit-for-tat' battle.

As I said before, if you have such a big problem with his van, ask him to sell it and buy a more socially acceptable vehicle which won't lower the tone of your neighbourhood - a range rover should do nicely!

convert wrote: »
    Are you willing to fall out with this guy over something as minor as a van parked in front of your house, blocking a view you don't own?
    This neighbour who is willing to fall out and refusing to park his van outside his own house?
    As I said before, if you have such a big problem with his van, ask him to sell it and buy a more socially acceptable vehicle which won't lower the tone of your neighbourhood - a range rover should do nicely!
    :rolleyes: ^ great way to make people ignore any other point you may have made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fe1ready

Adrift,

Why don't you just park your own car in the space. He has to leave the space at some point. Im sure you'd rather look at your own car then his van.

If you leave before him in a given day, get a friend etc to come over when you know the van will be gone and have them move your car into the space.

He'll soon tire of the cat and mouse.

Or buy a banger of a moped and park it there for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

GreeBo wrote: »
    This neighbour who is willing to fall out and [sic]refusing to park his van outside his own house?

As the spaces aren't allocated, there's nothing to stop him parking wherever he wants. Same way as I couldn't prevent the people parking and riding from parking around and opposite my gateway.
    :rolleyes: ^ great way to make people ignore any other point you may have made.

Obviously not everyone has a sense of humour! :rolleyes:

As the spaces aren't allocated, there's nothing to stop him parking wherever he wants. Same way as I couldn't prevent the people parking and riding from parking around and opposite my gateway.
    Right, but my point was that you are implying that the OP is being petty by risking falling out with a neighbour over something "minor". Im merely pointing out that his neighbout is being even more petty by not parking outside his own house after he has been politely asked to by his neighbour. Surely the OP is being reasonable here and the neighbour is the one acting the dick?

are you forfIucking real??

GreeBo wrote: »
    Right, but my point was that you are implying that the OP is being petty by risking falling out with a neighbour over something "minor". Im merely pointing out that his neighbout is being even more petty by not parking outside his own house after he has been politely asked to by his neighbour. Surely the OP is being reasonable here and the neighbour is the one acting the dick?

agree.

if its illegal.then surely ones insurance is invalid then?

every eircom van parked outside peoples homes are driven illegally then?

an post.

UPC

esb?

co council vans?

.... lotta folks breaking the law...:rolleyes:

rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is Accommodation & Property.

No more discussion of motor tax and insurance please.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

@ D3P0
    To say your issue is that your view is blocked isnt credible. The only people I know who would spending time regularly looking out their window onto the street are thos enoesey neightbours we all love to hate.

OP at least be honest your issue is you dont like the look of the van its not posh enough for you. You can trot this blocking my view nonsense but its just not credible.

Sweeping statements there pal.

@ Convert
    As for reporting the guy re commercial tax for his van: if he's investigated, do you really think he's not going to twig where the tip off came from? If you go down this road, you're going to end up with a 'tit-for-tat' battle.

I don't know where some of you are going with the notion of reporting for tax etc. I never suggested I was going to do that. I merely asked in my first post for opinions, and openly admitted that this was a trivial matter, but one which bugged me none the less.

I don't buy this live and let live horse**** that some preach here "It's only a van" "It's only A housewarming" "It's only a 24 hour rave" "it's only a bunch of kids spray painting a wall, that's what kids do". If something bugs you, you speak up. The guy in this case didn't want to accomodate me, fine I accepted that. You move on. I haven't fallen out with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

So you're accepting it and leaving things be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

@ .

I don't buy this live and let live horse**** that some preach here The guy in this case didn't want to accomodate me, fine I accepted that. You move on. I haven't fallen out with him.

bit of a contradiction there then. Sounds to me you have bought into this live and let live horse****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I don't buy this live and let live horse**** that some preach here "It's only a van" "It's only A housewarming" "It's only a 24 hour rave" "it's only a bunch of kids spray painting a wall, that's what kids do". If something bugs you, you speak up. The guy in this case didn't want to accomodate me, fine I accepted that. You move on. I haven't fallen out with him.

You're equating a van that's passively parked across the street from you with antisocial behaviour and criminal vandalism ? :confused:

Ah, c'mon....

Advertisement