Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking In Residential Areas

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fe1ready

I just went to view a property and as we drove into the cul de sac there were 2 massive vans parked on either side of the road, half up on the pavement.

Turns out the neighbours don't want their own vans in their driveways so park them obstructing everyone else.

Defo. won't be putting in an offer.

Adrift..... I feel your pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I smell troll, or else someone I wouldn't want as a neighbour, twitching curtains...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fe1ready

efb wrote: »
    I smell troll, or else someone I wouldn't want as a neighbour, twitching curtains...

No idea what a troll is but I immediately thought of this thread as i tried to inch my car past the 2 vans.

When you find yourself in somone else's shoes you can appreciate how something that seems trivial could actually be extremely irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

fe1ready wrote: »
    I just went to view a property and as we drove into the cul de sac there were 2 massive vans parked on either side of the road, half up on the pavement.

Turns out the neighbours don't want their own vans in their driveways so park them obstructing everyone else.

because 2vans were parked on the kerb/road?? why not report it to the garda traffic corps?its illegal after all,and you took the time to post on the net?

just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Different situation altogether if vehicles are parked illegally - eg. actually obstructing entrances/exits or parked up on pavements where they obstruct passers by.

Van referred to in the OP is parked neatly and 100% legally. OP just doesn't like having to look out his window at it.

Where I live it's extremely busy outside. I have to inch my car past and around others every single day and it's never bothered me in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I was referring to the OP btw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Duckjob wrote: »
    Different situation altogether if vehicles are parked illegally - eg. actually obstructing entrances/exits or parked up on pavements where they obstruct passers by.

Van referred to in the OP is parked neatly and 100% legally. OP just doesn't like having to look out his window at it.

Where I live it's extremely busy outside. I have to inch my car past and around others every single day and it's never bothered me in the slightest.

There has been a fair bit of talk on this thread about snobbery, but in fairness, the OP isn't the only person that doesn't want to look out their window and see an unsightly van, the bloody owner of the van doesn't want to see it either!
    He just expects sombody else to have to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Ditto, you just know you will end up in same situation as OP when you see a bunch of slovenly parked uber-ugly commerical vans dotted around the neighbourhood. I hope OP got somewhere with this charlie, really grinds my gears that people think this is snobbery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Parking your car/van outside someones else house because you don't want it outside your own, is not illegal, but it is selfish and obnoxious.

Can you just park in the spot yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

BostonB wrote: »
    Parking your car/van outside someones else house because you don't want it outside your own, is not illegal, but it is selfish and obnoxious

I think this is the point that most people are missing. I'd suggest either taking up the space yourself or else if the van is parked there box it in front and back to make it awkward for the guy by making him come to you to get out. He can't stop you parking in that manner either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

And how did you come to this conclusion?
    You're equating a van that's passively parked across the street from you with antisocial behaviour and criminal vandalism

Hardly, I was making the point that Irish people don't tend to speak up. Those were a series of unrelated examples.

I think this is the point that most people are missing

Yeah, I think most people have missed the point here. If the bay was busy and spots were hard to come by I'd accept that he has to take whatever space is available.

Anyways, I was just popping back with an update. The bay has been uncharacteristically busy over the past week and the Van has ended up in a variety of spots, apparently some of my neighbours are not too pleased with it either, especially since he will never dump it outside his own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Adrift wrote: »
    And how did you come to this conclusion?

Hardly, I was making the point that Irish people don't tend to speak up. Those were a series of unrelated examples.

Yeah, I think most people have missed the point here. If the bay was busy and spots were hard to come by I'd accept that he has to take whatever space is available.

Anyways, I was just popping back with an update. The bay has been uncharacteristically busy over the past week and the Van has ended up in a variety of spots, apparently some of my neighbours are not too pleased with it either, especially since he will never dump it outside his own house.

maybe your neighbour enjoys mind games....soon enough the whole neighbourhood'll be playing it.

tbh he sounds like a nice guy...
    keep us posted. out of interest what van is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

GreeBo wrote: »
    Right, but my point was that you are implying that the OP is being petty by risking falling out with a neighbour over something "minor". Im merely pointing out that his neighbout is being even more petty by not parking outside his own house after he has been politely asked to by his neighbour. Surely the OP is being reasonable here and the neighbour is the one acting the dick?

Agreed. I also doubt it is the fact that it's a snobbery thing about a van rather than a "nice car" or somesuch, a van will obviously block far more of your view than a car would, being both taller than a car, and presumably having a solid body rather than windows in the back. I know I'd prefer to be able to look out over the roof of a car than to have the entire view blocked by the side of a transit or whatever.

Adrift, I would personally ensure to park your own vehicle there as often as possible until this guy gets the message that this bay is not his own personal "spot", I've seen it before where people seem to think they own communal bays and turning areas, and get in a strop when someone else dares use the (communal) bay even if there's plenty of parking still available. Your neighbour sounds like a bit of a dick if he's refused to move the van at all when you politely asked him.

Advertisement