Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know this horse?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

This little lady was found by the Gardai last night in Westside, Galway.

61810_449686335888_169411475888_5306906_2269327_n.jpg

She is only about 8 months old and skin and bones.

If you know who owned her please contact me via my website: http://www.egar.org .

Complete confidentiality assured.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Try here....

redneck.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Dammit I was hoping for a pic of an aul man in a pub.

I've seen a horse grazing (or just left on some grass...) over near Siobhan McKenna/Bothar le Cheile, like near Corrib Park and the other estate. Maybe you could ask the esteemed community there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Gardai did a door to door there last night. You can imagine what success they had.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Saw a dead horse on the headford road this morning near the Clare river bridge. Lying in the ditch inches from the road. Of course it could have been hit by traffic after getting loose but It still made my sick to my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

GSPCA were on a prog the other day. Apparently in 'boom' years, people (not just from a certain 'community', but from lower and middle income sectors mainly), went mental for horses, thought it represented affluence or whatever. As of last month there were thought to be over 250 abandoned horses wandering DUBLIN - Jesus!

Poor horse. I saw one recently up off the Rahoon Rd, he was a bit scruffy but no bones showing, whiter than her though.
    Hope she recovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

every morning, you hear about horses running loose on the Headford Road...an accident waiting to happen.

I hope these people get what they deserve, it's an absolute disgrace...!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sec

I live in the Rahoon area and I am constantly coming across horses like this in the area. Every week I am ringing the GSPCA, the guards and the council and nothing is ever done. I have attached a picture of the latest horse that I am trying to get help for. It was tied up on the green area in Claremont estate across from the halting site in Westside and has since been moved to the green in Carn Ard estate next to the halting site. The horse never has any water or food. I left a bowl of water and some carrots beside it last night and the poor thing drank like mad but I can't keep doing this, I'm very nervous going in in case the residents catch me. They also have other small ponies (similarly neglected) in the halting site. How are they getting away with this? How can we improve the animal protection laws in Galway city? Does the city council have the power to impose specific animal welfare by-laws for Galway?

The GSPCA have told me it's the council that need to deal with this, the council have told me it's the GSPCA. I really don't know what to do next...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Sec wrote: »
    I live in the Rahoon area and I am constantly coming across horses like this in the area. Every week I am ringing the GSPCA, the guards and the council and nothing is ever done. I have attached a picture of the latest horse that I am trying to get help for. It was tied up on the green area in Claremont estate across from the halting site in Westside and has since been moved to the green in Carn Ard estate next to the halting site. The horse never has any water or food. I left a bowl of water and some carrots beside it last night and the poor thing drank like mad but I can't keep doing this, I'm very nervous going in in case the residents catch me. They also have other small ponies (similarly neglected) in the halting site. How are they getting away with this? How can we improve the animal protection laws in Galway city? Does the city council have the power to impose specific animal welfare by-laws for Galway?

The GSPCA have told me it's the council that need to deal with this, the council have told me it's the GSPCA. I really don't know what to do next...

Keeping my eye on this little guy to.. Nothing much we can do.. GSPCA won't take anything that doesn't look abused or not been fed. It is a shame. I get asked nearly on a weekly basis if i want a horse/pony! Its mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I know who is 'supposed' to own that horse but proving it is another thing. They'll more than likely have a new horse by next week and the cycle will begin again, there will be months of phone calls made to the corporation and G.S.P.C.A until the horse is picked up and it starts all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Yeah that's John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Sec

Keeping my eye on this little guy to.. Nothing much we can do.. GSPCA won't take anything that doesn't look abused or not been fed. It is a shame. I get asked nearly on a weekly basis if i want a horse/pony! Its mad!

You're right happyoutish. I think that an animal has to be next to death before something will be done for it and then it's probably too late in most cases. What annoys me is if they are going to leave these poor animals tied up 24/7, why they can't even have the sense to leave some water for them or even a container to collect rain water in. It doesn't cost a cent!

Sec wrote: »
    How are they getting away with this?

It's their "culture".
    Seems it's their "culture" to ring the bark on trees as well judging by the pic.
    Add nothing, but take as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

A challenge:

Let's see if this thread can continue to discuss this particular horse, or horses in general, and horse neglect, without disparaging any particular cultural or ethnic minority.

/moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The horse in question looks like it could use a sandwich! As said earlier the Headford Road frequently has horses loose on it. Its a frightening sight seeing a horse running toward your car out of the dark!! The guards ought to be a bit more pro-active out those parts..as it doesn't take a genius to realise the horses left in a tiny patch of grass tied up will most likely get loose and is also being kept in below acceptable conditions...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

A challenge:

Let's see if this thread can continue to discuss this particular horse, or horses in general, and horse neglect, without disparaging any particular cultural or ethnic minority.

/moderation
    Even when nobody steps out of line, the mods feel the need to mouth off about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

****in eskimos leavin their horses everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that there are way too many horses in Ireland and not just horses. Last winter was bad enough but I believe this coming winter will surpass anything I have seen in 14 years of rescue. I already have 7 horses and two donkeys in my care, two of which arrived in the last week and winter hasn't even started yet.

As to the mods need to bring up ethnic/cultural minorities... well, I may write a book about my experience in rescue in Ireland and well, let's just say, a certain group of the populace will not come away very well. Experience, sadly.

EGAR wrote: »
    Experience, sadly.

It's certainly a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

A challenge:

/moderation

Why not bring them into it. It is pretty obvious that the majority of the people abusing horses are from a certain ethnic minority who seem to be above the law. They need to be named openly and without fear of being called a racist or whatever. Something needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Rylan wrote: »
    Why not bring them into it. It is pretty obvious that the majority of the people abusing horses are from a certain ethnic minority who seem to be above the law. They need to be named openly and without fear of being called a racist or whatever. Something needs to be done.

Rylan,

Please do not question mod directions in thread, I have sent you a PM answering your question.

/moderation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fionn Macool, time off.
    I've grown weary of your trolling and bad attitude.

As this is a Animal issue - continue in Animals forum, thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement