Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more Coke...

Options
  • 27-09-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

So Coke is gone, I dunno how much it was worth to UCD, but I hope it was a ****ing lot.

I personally will just be putting a crate of it in my locker. But I might sneak into UCD in the middle of night and vandalise pepsi vending machines...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Why is it gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I was thinking that the other day, all pepsi vending machines. Although I think the grind still does it (it did last week). Is there any reason in particular it's gone, like the ban before?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Nah, its an exclusivity contract with brtivic, britvic own C&C and therefore they own the rights of pepsi in Ireland. It hasn't yet come into effect, but I beleive the contract will fully ban coke from the campus, including places as independent as centra.

I think this may also effect what alcohol is available in the student bar. Britvic definitely own Bulmers, I don't know if they own any other beers.

My brother said there would probably be some sort of war in the ENG Bloc if they ever banned coke, any engineer up for entering into the blackmarket coke trade industry with me.

NOTE TO MOD

THIS IS COCA-COLA

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

More importantly it also means NO MORE LUCOZADE.
    We're stuck with that club energize muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

We're stuck with that club energize muck.
    Great how are we supposted to develop diabetes with just that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Sorry, but are ye not supposed to be boycotting it, or did that now work out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Yep no coke at all in Centra today, LOTS of pepsi.

Any resident of Merville who lives near centra want to make a sneaky profit selling coke from their apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I am personally delighted :D

Pepsi <3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Pretty sure it's still in the vending machines at the restaurant. Mightn't be for long though.

Also those new pepsi vending machines are terrible, the drinks always get stuck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I think it's hilarious, personally. Especially when you consider that if the coke ban hadn't been lifted, then this never would have happened, because Britvic would ahve had no incentive to agree to the deal. Ain't life grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Cheers UCD for being arseholes. Coke is my preference of Cola and I already had to go the Grind to get it. Now I can't get it on campus. Oh well, I will be making trips up to Spar Roebuck to get it at, at rip off prices. Pepsi Ireland are idiots though. Pepsi own Mountain Dew and yet they don't sell it in Ireland, even though Mountain Dew is the nicest soft drink in the World.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think this may also effect what alcohol is available in the student bar. Britvic definitely own Bulmers, I don't know if they own any other beers.

Hopefully it will bring the price of Bulmers down because Bulmers is the king of cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Explained in the Observer Article. I suspected this kind of thing would happen: once Britvic lost their artificial monopoly position, they and Coca-Cola would have to fight over exclusivity at UCD. Now to see whether any of the cost savings are passed on to customers. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What a fcuking joke. Typical UCD. Pepsi is sick and I sure as hell won't be using the vending machines anymore. Who is responsible for signing this deal, is it the SU?

SU had nothing to do with it, this is properly UCD.

Lol guess that's true Raphael.

Who said Coke in Spar Roebuck is expensive? Is it more expensive then anywhere else in UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

SU had nothing to do with it, this is properly UCD.

Lol guess that's true Raphael.

Who said Coke in Spar Roebuck is expensive? Is it more expensive then anywhere else in UCD?

€1.20 for Coke in the Grind, €1.10 for Coke in Tesco (Stillorgan and Merrion Centre), €1.50 in my local spar (Kilmacud Spar)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

fullstop wrote: »
    What a fcuking joke. Typical UCD. Pepsi is sick and I sure as hell won't be using the vending machines anymore. Who is responsible for signing this deal, is it the SU?

You think the SU were given responsibility for a multi-million euro deal? :rolleyes:

UCD are currently stretched financially, this is an avenue to bring in much needed cash that will hopefully allow them keep important services such as the library and health services working properly.

I think losing the option of a few soft-drinks is well worth the extra cash. If people feel that strongly about what soft-drink they buy, then bring it with you. I for one applaud UCD for bringing in more cash with minimal affects to the running of the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

So Coke is gone

What will I sniff now?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Fair enough. Pepsi is better anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Centra hasn't sold it since the start of the year.. got a can of coke in the science block vending machines though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

WeeBushy wrote: »
    You think the SU were given responsibility for a multi-million euro deal? :rolleyes:
    I asked a question. Sorry oh wise one if I have wasted your precious time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

muffinman wrote: »
    Centra hasn't sold it since the start of the year.. got a can of coke in the science block vending machines though

They did. Then the week of the 13th of September they sold off all the 2L Bottles for €1 and I have never seen Coke since then in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I wonder what would happen if you sold it from your apartment?
    I'm seriously considering getting big crates at a time and sellin it for 1.00 a bottle

domrush wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if you sold it from your apartment?
    I'm seriously considering getting big crates at a time and sellin it for 1.00 a bottle

Dude cans keep better warm, so unless you're willing to fridge it, cans for 90c each, or even a euro each. I'd pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Screw Coke, let's boycott Pepsi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Exam Period without Lucozade Original will be nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

unknown13 wrote: »
    Cheers UCD for being arseholes. Coke is my preference of Cola and I already had to go the Grind to get it. Now I can't get it on campus. Oh well, I will be making trips up to Spar Roebuck to get it at, at rip off prices. Pepsi Ireland are idiots though. Pepsi own Mountain Dew and yet they don't sell it in Ireland, even though Mountain Dew is the nicest soft drink in the World.

Mountain Dew is the most disgusting drink ever invented.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There were definitely 500ml bottles of Coke in the vending machine in the Science Hub today. Unsure of the price though, probably €1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

fullstop wrote: »
    I asked a question. Sorry oh wise one if I have wasted your precious time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just think its a bit silly to even question whether the SU would be involved in such a financially important deal to UCD. But anyways, that's neither here nor there I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

There was coke in the Restaurant vending machines on Friday

Advertisement