Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless adapter problem?

• 27-09-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

How do,

My girlfriend recently bought a cheap enough laptop (Advent) and the wireless has started to become intermittent. It keeps disconnecting and then takes a while to reconnect. It's the latest Realtek driver. Also, it's not a distance thing as this happens when she's in the same room as the router.

The thing is, when I'm on my laptop in the same room I never have this problem, which leads me to believe it's not a router issue. But then again I have a computer in another room that disconnects from the wireless often enough, but it's a USB wireless dongle and I presumed that that was the reason.

Both our laptops are wireless N enabled, but the router in G (this shouldn't be a problem).

The laptop is only about a month old and the intermittency only began about a week ago.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

First thing to try would be to change the wireless channel that the router is using. The problem might be related to interference and some wireless devices can deal with interference better than others which is why one computer might be fine while another has problems. Start on Channel 1 and test it for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I'll give that a go, cheers. It was set on "auto", so I've now changed it to 01 for the time being, til I see.

Are there any preferred channels, or is it much of a muchness?

pinksoir wrote: »
    Are there any preferred channels, or is it much of a muchness?

The best one is really the one that's farthest away from what everyone else is using. In theory, the lower frequencies might perform marginally better around obstacles so I lean towards Channel 1 generally if possible.

Download inSSIDer to see what wireless networks are near you.

Cheers. One of the neighbours is using channel 1, so I changed to channel 4.

inSSIDer caused my first bluescreen on this laptop though!

Oops. I normally use Netstumbler myself on Windows but inSSIDer is probably easier to use and the interface looks nicer

• Advertisement

Ah, it could have been because I installed the x86 instead of x64 version...

Anyways, it appears to have fixed the problem, so thanks for your help. I'll give it a while to see if it starts acting up again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

Cheers. One of the neighbours is using channel 1, so I changed to channel 4.

you should change to channel 6, channel 4 overlaps with channel 1 if you are using 802.11G

Advertisement