Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing mentoring

• 27-09-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I realise it's an odd subject but both my wife and I fly fish, both of being fairly amateur at it but enthusiastic (enough that neither of us bait fish or spin any more). While we both enjoy some success, I wondered if anyone who's perhaps more confident in their skills might be persuaded to spend an afternoon sometime on the Dodder(ideally), Boharnabreena or (during the off season) at Corkagh Park giving us some tips/pointers.

I realise that it's possible to go to professional tutors but unfortunately it's not (currently) a financial possibility for us for a variety of, probably all too familiar, reasons but we would be more then willing to thank a kindly helper with a pint or three on us if that seems reasonable (or a day ticket on Corkagh if that was preferred). I also realise that this might be better to post again in 6 months time (as the season opens again) but it's been bothering me recently ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Evac, it's no use to you, but it might be of interest to your wife...

IFI are running a ladies fly-casting day on Sat. Oct 2nd at Annamoe fishery in Wicklow. Basically it's a full day of instruction and fishing under the guidance of professional instructors. It's free AFAIK but there you need to book a place in advance. Theres an item about it in this months Angling Ireland - I can dig out the details for you if your wife is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lulamaybarns

Hi
    I'm Evacs Mrs, I'd really appreciate if you could dig out those details for me.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Here you go:
    With just over two weeks left before the event, ladies are literally lining up to learn to fly fish at the second of Inland Fisheries Ireland's (IFI) ‘Ladies Fly Casting Days’. Because of the increased demand for places, IFI would like to let all aspiring lady anglers wishing to take part that there are only a small number of places remaining for the Annamoe ‘Ladies Fly Casting Day’. This is the second of IFI's two free ‘Ladies Fly Casting Days’ in support of Action Breast Cancer which will be taking place on Saturday 2nd October 2010 at the Annamoe Trout Fishery, Annamoe, Co. Wicklow. These super days have been organized to provide people who want to take up fishing as a hobby, with the opportunity to learn more about the sport of angling and the theory and practice of fly fishing from top angling experts Glenda Powell (Blackwater Lodge) and Mark Corps, Angling Adviser, Inland Fisheries Ireland.

The event taking place on Saturday 2nd October is an informal and fun day out which will run from 10am until 5pm. Registration will take place at the Fishery between 10.00am and 10.30am and all fishing gear will be provided to those who do not have any. However, everyone taking part on the day will be asked to bring wellies, a coat and sun glasses and a hat.

There is a relaxed informal schedule planned for the day and following an introduction from angling expert and instructor Glenda Powell, the ladies will be given details on the theory and mechanics of fly-casting. This will be followed by a practice session during which Glenda, Mark and other assistants will help students to get casting. There will then be a short break for lunch which will be provided at the Fishery and then its off to the lake to catch some beautiful rainbow trout and put all of the learning into practice.

This is a fantastic day out and not one to miss. So, if you ever fancied giving angling a go don't be afraid, now is your opportunity. Absolutely, no experience is necessary and the event is suitable for beginners and improver's.

A small number of places are still available and if you would like to take part in the ‘Ladies Fly Casting Day’ at Annamoe, please contact David Byrne, Marketing Angling Coordinator, Inland Fisheries Ireland at 087 9918608 or by email at david.byrneerfb@gmail.com To avoid disappointment it is important to enroll as soon as possible to reserve your place. We look forward to hearing from you.

Source:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

Thanks Aidanf, wifey is off to get trained on Saturday and she can ed-u-macate me on her return ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Ladies day at Anamoe Fishery report here : http://www.fishinginireland.info/update/trout_angling.htm#easttrout
    wgsten

• Advertisement
Advertisement