Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protestant burial in Catholic Cemetary

• 27-09-2010 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Just have a query about a family member. He is Protestant and is married to a Catholic woman. Can he have a Catholic funeral and more so - can he be buried in the Catholic Cemetary? Need to get the answer to this before I speak to the priest and maybe embarrass myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

Not sure if this helps but my dad was a Catholic and he was buried in a Protestant cemetery (after a Catholic burial). If you don't want to be embarrassed in front of the priest most churches have a parish office staffed by lay people so you could phone anonymously and ask the question. If you look up the church online you will probably get the phone number and opening hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

And you ask this in the A&A because...? :confused:

You'd probably get your/an answer over in the christianity forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You'd probably get your/an answer over in the christianity forum.
    Good point.

Yoink -->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

PaddyJules wrote: »
    Just have a query about a family member. He is Protestant and is married to a Catholic woman. Can he have a Catholic funeral and more so - can he be buried in the Catholic Cemetary? Need to get the answer to this before I speak to the priest and maybe embarrass myself.

Speak to the priest Paddy. It's a reasonable question. No need for embarrassment at all. I think he will be impressed that you think it matters.
    My guess is that it is not allowed and that he should be buried in the church he attends. But if he attends his wife's church but has not joined it, maybe exceptions are made. I dunno, would need to check it out. Google Canon Law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Does not appear to be a problem

The Code of Canon Law states:

"Canon 1184 §1 Church funeral rites are to be denied to the following, unless they gave some signs of repentance before death:

1° notorious apostates, heretics and schismatics;

2° those who for anti-christian motives chose that their bodies be cremated;

3° other manifest sinners to whom a Church funeral could not be granted without public scandal to the faithful. §2 If any doubt occurs, the local Ordinary is to be consulted and his judgement followed."

• Advertisement

Festus, I think our Protestant friend would be included under point 1 (heretic). RCC would consider Protestants to be heretics (just as Protestants consider Catholics as heretics... or worse perhaps :)).

Protestants don't believe in praying for the dead (as in the Catholic buriel rite) so it would be unjust to the Protestant to bury him in the Catholic Rite.
    Unless of course he requested it which is the same as saying he converted.

However in the case of mixed marriages where both spouses live in harmony I just don't know. Maybe exceptions are made to allow use of the same graveyard, without the Catholic ceremony, for family reasons.

Festus, I think our Protestant friend would be included under point 1 (heretic). RCC would consider Protestants to be heretics (just as Protestants consider Catholics as heretics... or worse perhaps :)).

Protestants don't believe in praying for the dead (as in the Catholic buriel rite) so it would be unjust to the Protestant to bury him in the Catholic Rite.
    Unless of course he requested it which is the same as saying he converted.

However in the case of mixed marriages where both spouses live in harmony I just don't know. Maybe exceptions are made to allow use of the same graveyard, without the Catholic ceremony, for family reasons.

Heretical?, possibly but also sanctified by the non-heretical faithful Catholic spouse. Notoriusly heretical is the key here and I suspect the person in question is just a Protestant and not a notorious heretic.

Requested?, more likely. I don,t wish to second guess the OP but when this question comes up it is usually because they want to be in the same plot. Most Protestants who marry Catholics accept that if their spouse is a practising Catholic then there are certain rules to be followed. Most Catholics who marry Protestents expect that when they die they will be buried together.

further on Canon law:
    Canon 1183.3

"In the prudent judgment of the local ordinary, ecclesiastical funerals can be granted to baptized persons who are enrolled in a non-Catholic Church or ecclesial community unless their intention is evidently to the contrary and provided that their own minister is not available"

To put the OPs mind at rest, I doubt very much if any priest would be embarrassed by such a question. Mixed marriages are allowed, why not mixed funerals. Canon law does not appear to have much of an issue with it per se.

thanks for that clarification, Festus. I was just too lazy to do the homework. Of course the family unity consideration is paramount. I agree entirely with your comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

PaddyJules wrote: »
    J- can he be buried in the Catholic Cemetary? .

Hmmm. Today the cemetery is probably a council cemetery. All church grounds are filled so you go and buy a plot from the local council. Nothing to do with the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

Thanks everyone for your views. Dont want to go into the details as to why I am asking this question - lets just say that there are 'family' problems going on and this issue could add fuel to the fire which is brewing!!

So I am right to conclude that a Protestant CAN be buried in a catholic cemetary provided that the priest is OK with it and that the funeral service is either performed in a protestant church or the service in the catholic church is adapted appropriately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

those who for anti-christian motives chose that their bodies be cremated[/B]]

this may be off topic - but what does this mean? are catholics against cremation in other than the above case ?

SonOfAdam wrote: »
    those who for anti-christian motives chose that their bodies be cremated[/B]]

this may be off topic - but what does this mean? are catholics against cremation in other than the above case ?

Catechism of the Catholic Church: "The Church permits cremation, provided that it does not demonstrate a denial of faith in the resurrection of the body" (no. 2301).

Code of Canon Law: "The Church earnestly recommends the pious custom of burial be retained; but it does not forbid cremation, unless this is chosen for reasons which are contrary to Christian teaching" (no. 1176).

In short - you may be cremated but your ashes in an urn must be buried, or interred in a mausoleum, on consecrated ground.

Advertisement