Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binman just stole from me!!

Options
  • 27-09-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

At home at the mo and was looking out of window with baby in arms. Its recycling bin day and saw the following....bin man comes over to my bin, opens bin and looks in, see's somthing he likes and takes it out !! reads it and puts it in his pocket !!! im fuming :mad: rang the head office and am waiting for the manager to call me back!!

If he is willing to do this right outside my house, i can only imagine what they are doing back at he depot !!

Whats your views on this? as I said, waiting for manager to call me back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The binman is recyling books you threw out, and you get the hump

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Was it something with personal details on it or was it like a magazine or a book etc.? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You threw it in the recycling bin and got annoyed when he recycled something in it.

What was it? Unless it was a bank statement or similar then what's the problem.

Also, I'd imagine that if its in the bin and on the street then its up for grabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Can you be more specific on what he took? If it's a bill or credit card receipt, then there is something very wrong. But if it's "To Kill A Mocking Bird" or something, what harm? He probably just wants something to read on his lunch break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I'd be somewhat annoyed at this too. Magazines or newspapers may not bother me too much but having said that it cannot be condoned either. What if there were personal letters/ bank statements/ payslips in among them...where do you draw the line too like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

Always shred/tear up whatever has your name on it. Especially bank statements and the like... because you never know who could see them.

But yes, I am curious as to what the head office makes of this. Taking something directly out of a bin outside someones house HAS to be against protocol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Why do you care what happens to your rubbish - you had thrown it out! - so long as it doesn't end up illegally dumped? You declared you had no further use for it.

"Stole from me"! Take that to Court and you will find yourself on the receiving of a ticking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

He's hardly stealing from you if you've thrown it out.

Any idea what it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

so its ok if he takes a bank statment ?? his job is to collect my bin and put it in the van so it can be taken away to be recycled !! , not go throught it, see what he likes and then take it !!

i dont know what excatly it was but thats not my point !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you're putting your bankstatements in your recycling bin without shredding them first, you're an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Not seeing a problem here. I'm not a lawyer, but you've probably surrendered the item by leaving it at the end of your driveway. Items with personal details such as bank and credit card statements, utility bills, etc. should always be shredded before dumping. Let us know what the company office comes back with.

If you seen the chap do it, why didn't you just go out and ask him what he was doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

gaz wac wrote: »
    so its ok if he takes a bank statment ??

So he took a bank statement on you, did he or are you just making that bit up. If your so worried why did you put it in your bin?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nicndec

loyatemu wrote: »
    if you're putting your bankstatements in your recycling bin without shredding them first, you're an idiot.

FACT - Actually if you are putting your bank statements in your recycling can you post your address on the forum, I'm sure there's plenty that could really utilise this type of info in the run up to Christmas.

"Stole" from you :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Hmmm, if you think he 'stole' from you, at what point do you stop owning the item you put in the bin.
    Surely, if he stole from you by taking an item from your bin, he must have robbed everything else that was in the same bin when his truck came along to empty it? Or is there a difference in how something is removed from a bin that determines whether or not its stolen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I'd be somewhat annoyed at this too. Magazines or newspapers may not bother me too much but having said that it cannot be condoned either. What if there were personal letters/ bank statements/ payslips in among them...where do you draw the line too like?
    No person with an ounce of sense would place items like that in any type of recycling bin. Best practice is to shred them before disposal or else you're taking huge risks for nothing.

What item did he "steal"? Obviously if it's in a bin, owned by the company, you've relinquished ownership of that item in the interest of desposing of it.

Note: You didn't succeed in wasting my time, if you're trolling, as trying to burn time in college, so all these delightful threads just increase my post could and keep the clock ticking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

A lot of people tend to get upset about something like this, but let's be fair, as long as you are careful and not throwing out sensitive information then why are you upset that a bin man took a magazine or book from your bin. If you're throwing something out, is it not assumed that you no longer want it?

And remember, Garbology is an academic field of study and the most world recognized scholars hold it in high regard

• Registered Users Posts: 24,082 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Binman's probably collecting evidence for the CIA, and Gaz Wac will soon be heading for Gitmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It depends entirely on what you're paying your collection company for. Are you paying them to take away your rubbish and ensure it's not illegally disposed of? Or are you paying them to protect your rubbish and make sure it's not used in an improper way? If it's the former, you have no recourse whatsoever. In the latter case, you may be able to make some headway. You'll have to check the terms and conditions of your contract with your collection company. There's a reason mass amounts of money are spent on shredding and incinerating sensitive documents.

Also, while you might not have any comeback if you're not paying the company to protect your rubbish, the guy could still be breaking the terms of his employment

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Jeez can't believe this!!!

As said before you didn't want it so whats the problem with someone else taking it?

TBH your bank statement argument is ridiculous, personally I wouldn't even put shredded details in the bin, all of mine goes on the fire.

What I think you've done here is make an enemy of your binman. Whats gonna happen now say if you've put an incorrect item in your recycling bin by accident. There's some hope of getting it lifted now when usually they'd turn a wee blind eye

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

He would have had to look in the bin before he took it make sure it is recyclable stuff. He probably saw a magazine to read on his break and took it. Any personal stuff you would have shredded wouldn't you?

Ringing HO to report him is ott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

If he is willing to do this right outside my house, i can only imagine what they are doing back at he depot !!

If he is doing it in broad daylight I wouldn't be too worried, it's the heads who creep around at night looking for something specific in your recycling bin i'd be worried about.

If you are putting paper in your green bin that may have confidential info on them the bin man is the least of your worries

• Registered Users Posts: 21,049 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Recycling centres go through your rubbish back at base don't they? To seperate the stuff, and some of it ends up in their homes...i know a guy that got at least two tv's, a stereo or two and more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

it was not a bank statment...i shread all my stuff in work. but could one slip in by mistake !!! no, everyone's perfect !!

so by putting somthing in the bin and putting it at the end of my drive way, it is no longer mine !!! thats a joke, if i put a bag of rotting meat in my bin, they wouldnt be long knocking on the door to take it back, should i tell them thats its no longer mine cos i done the above?

i dont agree with it and if it is their policy that staff can go through my stuff before they recycle it, ill just change supppliers.

Ill wait for then to contact me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Recycling centres go through your rubbish back at base don't they? To seperate the stuff, and some of it ends up in their homes...i know a guy that got at least two tv's, a stereo or two and more!

this is what I always assumed! I would never put anything remotely personal into a bin without shredding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

it was not a bank statment...i shread all my stuff in work. but could one slip in by mistake !!! no, everyone's perfect !!

so by putting somthing in the bin and putting it at the end of my drive way, it is no longer mine !!! thats a joke, if i put a bag of rotting meat in my bin, they wouldnt be long knocking on the door to take it back, should i tell them thats its no longer mine cos i done the above?

i dont agree with it and if it is their policy that staff can go through my stuff before they recycle it, ill just change supppliers.

You do know how recycling works yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

How will they separate it for the relative recyling places then if they dont go through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Do, if it's an issue for you. But if it is their policy, you agreed to it when you signed up, so there's not much point getting annoyed at them now

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    OP you have far too much time on your hands and I am glad I don't live beside you.
    God knows what you would do if my little fella kicked his ball into your garden.
    The bin man was looking for something to read on his break most probably.
    But, you go ahead and make sure his bosses give him a good ticking off.
    Actually, insist that they sack him....jebus :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not sure on the law here but in the UK bin raiding is a popular and very legal past time, once you put the bin out you're giving whatever's inside to whoever want's it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

You just sound like you're whinging for nothing. That's the last thing we need.

Are you a forty watt lightbulb by any chance? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement