Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binman just stole from me!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

gaz wac wrote: »
    it was not a bank statment...i shread all my stuff in work. but could one slip in by mistake !!! no, everyone's perfect !!

so by putting somthing in the bin and putting it at the end of my drive way, it is no longer mine !!! thats a joke, if i put a bag of rotting meat in my bin, they wouldnt be long knocking on the door to take it back, should i tell them thats its no longer mine cos i done the above?

i dont agree with it and if it is their policy that staff can go through my stuff before they recycle it, ill just change supppliers.

Ill wait for then to contact me

Why don't you ring Joe Duffy, they love useless stories like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

as in paper, plastic, steel etc yea...not as in " here is the paper pile, lads go ahead and see if anyone threw out a statment in error...!! in the paper pile we have...10 shopping lists..2 mags...BINGO..we got a statment...here give it to me, Frank got the last two" !!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

ILA wrote: »
    That's the last thing we need.

why what do we need ??
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You are probably now better off if you change suppliers.

That binman or his coworkers will now examine your bins every week, and if one item is in the wrong bin, they will refuse to collect them.

They will be completely right to do this, but now they will have every incentive to check your bins thoroughly.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,049 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's a F**KING BIN!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

it was not a bank statment...i shread all my stuff in work.

Do your bosses now that you use their machines for your own personal use. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,082 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's best not to throw anything out, just keep everything, and also make certain that you're not attached to a main sewage system, or someone further down the pipe will steal that as well. Trust no-one.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

i dont agree with it and if it is their policy that staff can go through my stuff before they recycle it, ill just change supppliers.

What do you think they do with it when it gets to their facility? They go through there sorting out the various materials. A lot of that sorting is done by hand.

Either way, someone will go through that recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

as in paper, plastic, steel etc yea...not as in " here is the paper pile, lads go ahead and see if anyone threw out a statment in error...!! in the paper pile we have...10 shopping lists..2 mags...BINGO..we got a statment...here give it to me, Frank got the last two" !!! :rolleyes:
    Replace "statement" with "magazine". Is it ok then? Reading someone else's thrown-out statements is not illegal. Identity fraud is, but that's an entirely separate issue.

If you don't want anyone to access your rubbish, then pay a company a fee to take it and dispose of it in accordance with your wishes. But don't bitch about them doing something that is perfectly legal and that you agreed to when you signed up to them (assuming your collection agency has not committed to protect your rubbish from employees)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

All posters - take it easy on the smart comments. I won't look kindly on any more smart-arsery

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Very bad idea to piss off the binmen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

so by putting somthing in the bin and putting it at the end of my drive way, it is no longer mine
    As far as I know, yes, that's exactly how it works. If it wasn't, then every bin taken away by every binman ever would be a crime.
    if i put a bag of rotting meat in my bin
    They don't recycle meat into brand new animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

what a load of rubbish.

anyway, you are throwing it out to recycle.
    the bin man is recycling by reusing.
    if you have a problem with your bin man dont put your stuff out.

what happens when you are not looking out the window at your bin?
    could other people be taking stuff from your bin.

the other option is to get rid of the bin and bring your paper to the local recycling centre.
    but that will be looked through when they are sorting the stuff at the recyling centre.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

so its ok if he takes a bank statment ?? his job is to collect my bin and put it in the van so it can be taken away to be recycled !! , not go throught it, see what he likes and then take it !!

i dont know what excatly it was but thats not my point !!

you are supposed to shred everything with personal details

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

Sorry Dudara Mea Culpa

But some people just get my blood boiling
    Point taken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

it was not a bank statment...i shread all my stuff in work. but could one slip in by mistake !!! no, everyone's perfect !!

so by putting somthing in the bin and putting it at the end of my drive way, it is no longer mine !!! thats a joke, if i put a bag of rotting meat in my bin, they wouldnt be long knocking on the door to take it back, should i tell them thats its no longer mine cos i done the above?

Ill wait for then to contact me

Binman just stole from me!!
    At home at the mo and was looking out of window with baby in arms. Its recycling bin day and saw the following....bin man comes over to my bin, opens bin and looks in, see's somthing he likes and takes it out !! reads it and puts it in his pocket !!! im fuming mad.gif rang the head office and am waiting for the manager to call me back!!

If he is willing to do this right outside my house, i can only imagine what they are doing back at he depot !!

Whats your views on this? as I said, waiting for manager to call me back.

you sound like a neighbour from hell.

bad enough unemployment as it is and you try and get someone sacked:rolleyes:

does your boss know you're using his facilities to shred your personal stuff??

ffs - you've little to be doing if thats what you're moaning about

thebullkf Did you read my warning at all? I will not kindly on future posts of this kind.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Hey OP I understand your frustration in all of this, and to be fair, you're right nobody is perfect. Every one of us will put things out in our bins on auto pilot sometimes and not really consider the consequences in advance. This is because we have certain default expectations regarding the risks of doing so. E.g. having someone root through your bin is something that you probably didn't expect when you placed it in a physically less restrictive environment (i.e. outside your house).

In terms of it being rude that someone would root through your rubbish right in front of you, I agree it is. However from a security perspective, it's just another point of failure that you need to be aware of. I have an academic background in security and I assure you I am just as likely as you or the next person to have vulnerabilities also. We are human, we make mistakes, sh1t happens (we're exploited in someway) and we deal with it (we react to the situation). At best we try to learn from our mistakes and we move on. The trick is not to waste too much time at the disbelief/injustice phase.

Awareness is always key, but we can only be aware or conscious of so much at a given time. One day I might be completely focused on what is going in to my rubbish bin. Another day I might be completely distracted by something else while I throw things away. I'm still the guy that will find his TV remote in the fridge or scrape left-over food in to the bin and then throw the plate in after it ;).

We can't be 100% secure, and we can't afford to be 100% paranoid, because we have lives to live. We are all vulnerable in some way(s), some more than others at every given moment. No point beating yourself up over it or taking abuse from someone else. It will happen them too, but just in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

i did.

i don't feel my comments were smart arsey at all. i said what i believed, i'm not the only one that thinks so either.
    i make no apologies for pointing out peoples stupid posts/actions that could result in someone losing their job.
    i don't agree with anyof what the OPsaid and i asked a qusestion thats not been answered-

i believe my post to be valid.Do you disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

so its ok if he takes a bank statment ?? his job is to collect my bin and put it in the van so it can be taken away to be recycled !! , not go throught it, see what he likes and then take it !!

i dont know what excatly it was but thats not my point !!

Why the hysterics then? could have been a pizza box with a coupon on it or something for all you know, who cares? if you dont throw anything with personal details on it in the recycle bin then so what? The guy probably spotted something he had use for which you clearly didnt since you threw it away and kept it, big frickin deal, it was going to be recycled anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,049 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you know when you hand a laptop in to get fixed more than likely someone will have a look through that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I can manage to keep statements and bills out of the rubbish and shred them all, then burn them, not once has one "slipped" into the recycling! Its not so hard, and to be honest, if some sad individual wants to go dipping in the bin at the gate, i have no problem with that. As long as they don't tip the rubbish all over the ground for me to clean it up, i really don't care. I threw it out for a reason, and if someone else can find a use for it, all the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Hey OP I understand your frustration in all of this, and to be fair, you're right nobody is perfect. Every one of us will put things out in our bins on auto pilot sometimes and not really consider the consequences in advance. This is because we have certain default expectations regarding the risks of doing so. E.g. having someone root through your bin is something that you probably didn't expect when you placed it in a physically less restrictive environment (i.e. outside your house).

In terms of it being rude that someone would root through your rubbish right in front of you, I agree it is. However from a security perspective, it's just another point of failure that you need to be aware of. I have an academic background in security and I assure you I am just as likely as you or the next person to have vulnerabilities also. We are human, we make mistakes, sh1t happens (we're exploited in someway) and we deal with it (we react to the situation). At best we try to learn from our mistakes and we move on. The trick is not to waste too much time at the disbelief/injustice phase.

Awareness is always key, but we can only be aware or conscious of so much at a given time. One day I might be completely focused on what is going in to my rubbish bin. Another day I might be completely distracted by something else while I throw things away. I'm still the guy that will find his TV remote in the fridge or scrape left-over food in to the bin and then throw the plate in after it ;).

We can't be 100% secure, and we can't afford to be 100% paranoid, because we have lives to live. We are all vulnerable in some way(s), some more than others at every given moment. No point beating yourself up over it or taking abuse from someone else. It will happen them too, but just in different ways.
    But if that's a worry for him, the OP has the option of paying someone to securely dispose of his trash. It's still not 100% secure, but he has recourse if the company don't do what they are being paid to do. If he throws out sensitive information after paying a company to do a secure job and the company don't do it, he can go after the company for not following their contractual requirements.

That is not what's happening here (assuming his collection agency haven't agreed to take responsibility). He has signed up to for someone to take his rubbish. Their requirements stop at not throwing it over a hedge. After that, it's up to whatever is in their contract, which the OP has agreed to. Whinging after the fact is pointless

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

A slur against an honest profession.

I assumed from the title of the thread that a binman prised your car boot open with a crow bar or something. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I'm pretty shocked at the amount of people that seem to own shredders. Are they standard home appliance these days or what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

jimbling wrote: »
    I'm pretty shocked at the amount of people that seem to own shredders. Are they standard home appliance these days or what? :confused:
    yes

but I burn rather than shred.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

@28064212, yes you are right that the refuse collector is not in the wrong and that they are doing their job. I guess my post was more to do with not getting upset upon the discovery of personal vulnerabilites. The reality is that we are all vulnerable in many common and many different ways. We are not idiots, but there is no quality of life to be had being completely paranoid either just because we are vulnerable.

I don't agree however that someone's job should be put in jeopardy simple because someone else feels an injustice towards a legal reality. The onus is on us all to know where we stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Its all going to the recycling center in the end where other people on a conveyor belt are going through your stuff and taking anything they want. it is in your rubbish bin..

I had a skip out side for a week and was delighted to see some people taking stuff out of it. less weight less money i had to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's best not to throw anything out, just keep everything, and also make certain that you're not attached to a main sewage system, or someone further down the pipe will steal that as well. Trust no-one.:eek:

Brilliant... and the points go to ejmaztec :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I hear banks can look at what you've bought on your credit card now, and phone companies can see a record of who you've called, madness!

talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement