Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binman just stole from me!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gaz wac wrote: »
    i dont agree with it and if it is their policy that staff can go through my stuff before they recycle it, ill just change supppliers.

Changing companys will change nothing, all recycled stuff needs to be sorted in some manner or another its not just dumped.

During that sorting process if someone see's something they like they can take it, its no different to people going to landfills and picking up stuff and bringing it home.

...and yes that happens and has happened for years and will likely continue to happen :)

If you don't want your rubbish taken by somebody else then don't dump anything and fill your house with it all :)

Your a funny funny person,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Jesus talk about a whinge.... why isn't this in R&R?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Waste Management Act 1996
    Part 1 section 4 Paragraph 1
    "4.—(1) ( a ) In this Act, "waste" means any substance or object belonging to a category of waste specified in the First Schedule or for the time being included in the European Waste Catalogue which the holder discards or intends or is required to discard, and anything which is discarded or otherwise dealt with as if it were waste shall be presumed to be waste until the contrary is proved.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1996/en/act/pub/0010/sec0004.html#zza10y1996s4

Much ado about nothing. There's greater things in life than worrying about the binman "stealing" something you don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jev/N wrote: »
    Jesus talk about a whinge.... why isn't this in R&R?

cos nobody would agree with it and the counter rant would be 5 pages long :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Even though the OP has suured us that he/she didn't in fact throw a bank statement in the bin, what earthly use would anyone have for someone else's bank statement? It's not like you can reverse engineer a piece of paper and somehow siphon off cash with it. And a bill? The worst thing someone could do with one of your bills is pay it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Even though the OP has suured us that he/she didn't in fact throw a bank statement in the bin, what earthly use would anyone have for someone else's bank statement? It's not like you can reverse engineer a piece of paper and somehow siphon off cash with it. And a bill? The worst thing someone could do with one of your bills is pay it!
    Identity fraud. You'd be surprised just how much you can do when you have someone's name, address, sort code, account number and last few transactions. Once you have those, it's not hard to find out their mother's maiden name and date of birth, which are common security questions

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

jimbling wrote: »
    I'm pretty shocked at the amount of people that seem to own shredders. Are they standard home appliance these days or what? :confused:

Yep they are! Ten/twenty euro in Argos.
    At home at the mo and was looking out of window with baby in arms. Its recycling bin day and saw the following....bin man comes over to my bin, opens bin and looks in, see's somthing he likes and takes it out !! reads it and puts it in his pocket !!! im fuming :mad: rang the head office and am waiting for the manager to call me back!!

If he is willing to do this right outside my house, i can only imagine what they are doing back at he depot !!

Whats your views on this? as I said, waiting for manager to call me back.

Back in the depot they are probably sorting through your whole bin and recycling or sending for reuse/recycling anything they can.

Haven't you heard of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. This man is reusing....I really cannot understand what your problem with this is.

Em, what did the manager say btw?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

manager rang me back today. i explained the situation and she was very apologitic (sp) about the situation.She said that they are allowed to check the bin to make sure thare are no non recylables in there but that staff are not allowed to remove anything else from the bin. She also told me that there were securuty measures in place in the depot and that staff were not allowed to reuse any items that were brought in for recycling.

if i wanted my mag's reused, i would have sent them to the local doctors office.

to cut along story short, i didnt agree with with what they did, and either does the company. Do I think he is going to get fired?, dont be stupid. Is my bin now on a black list :rolleyes: not likly. I understand that the depot will be going through my stuff when they are sorting it, what i dont expect is for them to go through it and keep something that they want!...the manager assured me does not happen in the depot. As 28064212 said the smallest piece of info could get someone into alot of trouble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I can guarantee you that the binmen will be on the lookout now to make life difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

manager rang me back today. i explained the situation and she was very apologitic (sp) about the situation.She said that they are allowed to check the bin to make sure thare are no non recylables in there but that staff are not allowed to remove anything else from the bin. She also told me that there were securuty measures in place in the depot and that staff were not allowed to reuse any items that were brought in for recycling.

if i wanted my mag's reused, i would have sent them to the local doctors office.

to cut along story short, i didnt agree with with what they did, and either does the company. Do I think he is going to get fired?, dont be stupid. Is my bin now on a black list :rolleyes: not likly. I understand that the depot will be going through my stuff when they are sorting it, what i dont expect is for them to go through it and keep something that they want!...the manager assured me does not happen in the depot. As 28064212 said the smallest piece of info could get someone into alot of trouble!

Fair play to her for keeping it together on the call....did you get her name?I want to see her facebook status.It's probably hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Was it a skinmag?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

Can't believe what I'm reading

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

to cut along story short, i didnt agree with with what they did, and either does the company.

The woman on the phone doesnt give a **** about your silly issue or the guy taking the magazine out of your bin. She said what she had to say to keep you happy, trot out the company line, assure the customer it'll never happen again, laugh about the crazy person with your colleagues later etc etc. Anyone thats worked in a job dealing with customers has done this numerous times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And so mans detachment from man continues...........
    Anyone in their right mind upon noticing the magazine snaffling would have just rolled their eyes and thought to themselves "cheeky prick". Then left it at that.
    In fact I reckon the manager back at the plant did the exact same thing once she ended her phone call.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The woman on the phone doesnt give a **** about your silly issue or the guy taking the magazine out of your bin. She said what she had to say to keep you happy, trot out the company line, assure the customer it'll never happen again, laugh about the crazy person with your colleagues later etc etc. Anyone thats worked in a job dealing with customers has done this numerous times.

Wot he said ^

C'mere the more I think about this post the more I am sure it is actually a joke.

I think we have all fallen for the biggest windup/troll ever :mad:

There is no way someone seriously cares that a binman took a magazine or something out of his bin. (I think we've established it was not a bill or anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Have to say....this made my night!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

amdublin wrote: »
    C'mere the more I think about this post the more I am sure it is actually a joke.

I think we have all fallen for the biggest windup/troll ever :mad:

There is no way someone seriously cares that a binman took a magazine or something out of his bin. (I think we've established it was not a bill or anything)

Oh just wait....this will get better....what happens when there isn't anyone looking out of the window to see what laws are being broken in the front garden.....I can't wait for CCTV to be installed...imagine when someone takes a dump in the garden and uses a discarded US weekly to wipe their hole.....there'll be fookin' murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think you're just annoyed that something you thought was rubbish, someone else found a use for!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This thread has run its course - and more importantly, I'm not sure it was ever a Consumer Issue in the first place.

Closed - dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement