Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build, no display no beeps :(

Options
  • 27-09-2010 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

right I hooked all this up turned on viola, no display and the mobo speaker not doing any beeps, tried removing all RAM no beeps, tried putting the graphics card into another slot, nothing.. the CPU is warm and all so at least it's getting power.. at least.. the 8-pin CPU connector is plugged in as is the 24 pin connector. Here's the specs..

Intel Core i7 950
    OCZ 6GB (3X2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10666
    PALIT GTX 460 SONIC 2GB
    Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
    Asus P6TD Deluxe X58 Socket 1366
    Corsair 1000W HX PSU

anyone who can help me figure this out is truely a king among men, seriously. think I'm gonna cry..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

1st of sounds like you dont have your motherboard speaker hooked up right or there is something wrong with it.

Is the motherboard powering on fans spining etc ?

Is there a power socket on your graphics card and if so do you have it pluged in to your psu ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Are both PCIe power cables connected to the GPU? And have you tried resetting the CMOS yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 craig1928

the motherboard is on, light on, power and reset buttons light up, fans are spinning, the speaker is hooked up right and both PCIe power leads are connected and I've tried resetting the CMOS(I think, I lifted the bottom cap on it and moved it over a notch for 10 seconds then moved it back, says to do this in the manual)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

From my experience:

Powering a machine up with no RAM (if you can) or no GFX cards will result in a beep, definitely. If you don't have a power cable plugged into the GFX cards properly it'll still display a primitive error message on screen.

So either you haven't plugged in the speaker correctly, or it's shot.

speaker's plugged in fine, no beeps with no RAM and GFX installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

This might be unique to me (d'oh) but when I built my i7 machine in March, I put the RAM in the wrong channel. It seems the DIMM closest to the CPU is the B channel (where on LGA-775 it was the A). This very same thing happened to me, where I'd get no beeps or any sign of life except for the PSU and other fans. If you've done the same, that's your problem, so put the RAM in the right-most DIMMS per section of the same color. Otherwise, please excuse my unique stupidity! :eek:

nope it's in the A channel, tried with 1 stick, 3 sticks and no RAM, no beeps no display

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

craig1928 wrote: »
    nope it's in the A channel, tried with 1 stick, 3 sticks and no RAM, no beeps no display
    Tried a CMOS reset?

EDIT: That was already asked, sorry.

Those CMOS jumpers/switches can be tricky - you should always remove the battery then use them, then replace the CMOS battery after 30-40 seconds. Try that ;)

After that you can try a minimum boot (CPU/mobo/GFX/one DIMM) swapping through the DIMMs. After that its time for Swapsies, only I doubt you have a spare LGA1366 mobo/rig to test with :( You could, however, try swapping in a different PSU just to see if the PSU is the problem ;)

After all that its RMA time for the mobo or PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

reseat your graphics card and remove and check all your connections for pushed pins etc.
    power up with the minimum of components, 1 stick of ram, HDD, onboard graphics if u have.

• Advertisement

Ok I had a look around my components and had a close look at some cabling and noticed this missing from the 24-pin connector, which is apparently a GND, could this be the cause?

SAM_0365.jpg

SAM_0364.jpg

Nope, that's normal :o

yeah just had a look inside my brothers pc, ahh well...

Advertisement