Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant Molly and Breeder Net

Options
  • 27-09-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Well one of my mollies is pregnant, I saw it coming to be honest, she was always coming in late and hanging out with the wrong crowd :P

Anyways I got a breeder net on Saturday and popped her in it. She is very large but I just read that I shouldn't keep her in there for too long? Should I put her back in the tank for a few more days or how long does this process usually take?

She seems fine, not stressed, just sort of hovers around and eats when fed.

Also how many babies do they normally have or can you put a number on it? I'm really not in the mood to have an infestation of mollies!

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if you don't want many you can simply release them into the main tank to be eaten, harsh, but fairest way...

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

if you don't want many you can simply release them into the main tank to be eaten, harsh, but fairest way...

Yeah I was thinking of doing that alright, depends on how many she has. I might see if petshops would take them as well, otherwise there will be a lot of toilet flushing :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking of doing that alright, depends on how many she has. I might see if petshops would take them as well, otherwise there will be a lot of toilet flushing :P

better feeding them than flushing them

Still nothing from her, I took her out of the net as I was told leaving her in there too long will stress her out. Problem is the male is chasing her trying to get some more action! Poor thing.

Also my other female is constantly hiding, presume this is because the male is always chasing them both? She isnt pregnant. I'm thinking of getting rid of him to be honest at this stage. Whats the most humane way to do it, will a fish shop take a donation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well one of my mollies is pregnant, I saw it coming to be honest, she was always coming in late and hanging out with the wrong crowd :P

Anyways I got a breeder net on Saturday and popped her in it. She is very large but I just read that I shouldn't keep her in there for too long? Should I put her back in the tank for a few more days or how long does this process usually take?

She seems fine, not stressed, just sort of hovers around and eats when fed.

Also how many babies do they normally have or can you put a number on it? I'm really not in the mood to have an infestation of mollies!

Cheers,

We bought 3 black mollies as the first fish we had in one of our tanks, mainly due to guppies being sold out.

One or maybe both of the females must have been pregnant when bought as 2 days later we had 8 babies roaming around the tank.

Since then we have gotten another tank and have separated the male from the 2 females, he is still in a tank with about 10 babies, and the females are with other fish in the big tank again with 4 babies.

I wouldn't put her in the breeding net to be honest, have you much vegetation or places for them to hide? they seem to get on fine, and once they are there about a week the adults don't seem to have them on their menu.

We would like to get rid of the male too - I'm not sure what sex the babies are - they all look female at the moment but maybe they don't develop until later - i havn't looked it up.

• Advertisement

there were no babies in the end, well maybe there were and they were eaten or she had a miscarriage. She's smaller now anyway and the make is chasing her around like mad. He's beginning to annoy me so I'll keep an eye on him. I took her out of the breeder net in the end as I was advised against it.

I have a good mixture of mollies, tetra's, clown loaches, guppies, dwarf gourami's and fighting fish now so the community tank is looking well. I'll only add 3-4 more small ones and leave it at that so not to overcrowd it.

Problem is I am already thinking of buying another non community tank, owning fish is addictive! :P

pictures of tank?

pictures of tank?

yeah I've been meaning to do that now that there are 20 fish in there, I'll get on the case later on.

I have a good mixture of mollies, tetra's, clown loaches, guppies, dwarf gourami's and fighting fish now so the community tank is looking well. I'll only add 3-4 more small ones and leave it at that so not to overcrowd it.

By fighting fish do you mean siamese fighter's?

I have guppies, mollies and dwarf gourami's in my tank - but pets at home won't sell me a fighter fish,

If it wasn't for making the mistake of getting a male molly, i would have got a fighter for my small tank and put some neons in with it.

Edit: ok i see from the other thread that you have 3 female fighters - they never have female fighters where i go! :(

By fighting fish do you mean siamese fighter's?

I have guppies, mollies and dwarf gourami's in my tank - but pets at home won't sell me a fighter fish,

If it wasn't for making the mistake of getting a male molly, i would have got a fighter for my small tank and put some neons in with it.

Edit: ok i see from the other thread that you have 3 female fighters - they never have female fighters where i go! :(

Yeah the female fighters are the most peaceful fish in the tank. Just swim around and don't bother anyone. I got them in Aquatic village 2 in Old Bawn, I saw them before in Pet Smart in Carrickmines as well.

• Advertisement

Yeah the female fighters are the most peaceful fish in the tank. Just swim around and don't bother anyone. I got them in Aquatic village 2 in Old Bawn, I saw them before in Pet Smart in Carrickmines as well.

Pet Stop in Carrickmines?

I wasn't too impressed with the fish there, a lot looked to have fins and tails bitten right back, some of the catfish had white spots (assume whitespot)

My tanks are in the UK unfortunately, i'm in the process of moving there!

I wasn't too impressed with the fish there, a lot looked to have fins and tails bitten right back, some of the catfish had white spots (assume whitespot)

Have to say pet shops around where i am in the UK are very hit and miss, Pets at home seem to have the right attitude, that is a lot of questions are asked before purchase, however the nearest pets at home to me i am not impressed with. There are a few tanks clouded with algae, and always at least one tank under treatment with dead fish on show. On my last visit i had to point out a whitespot issue in their Gourami tank.

Other than that another independent shop is near me, which has a huge selection - but i don't like shopping there because he houses his fighter fish in tiny bowls on what i describe as a sort of marketing stand - and not one of them look healthy.

The pets at home nearest the airport i fly into is very well run, never a problem with fish there other than being sold out of the ones you want :D

Yeah sorry Pet Stop, the lads in there seem to know their stuff, Polish guy is a bit aggressive, thought he was going to hit me when I asked if I could put some angel fish in with guppies a few months back! A simple no would have done.

They got some good community fish in there last Wednesday, that's when I picked up the Gourami's. I'll keep an eye out though for future purchases to make sure the fish are in good health.

Advertisement