Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric gate key fob

• 27-09-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭

Recently moved into an apartment complex (rented accomodation) which has an electric security gate on the car park. We werent given a keyfob to open the gate (we have to get out and enter a code to open the gate), and given the fact that winter is now approaching and Id rather not get soaked every time I get home, Id like to get one. They are costing nearly €80, and while I dont mind paying it if I have to, the management company are of the opinion that the landlord should be supplying me with the keyfob at their expense.

Is this correct? Is it the reponsibility of the landlord to provide a keyfob for the electric gates on an apartment complex, or if for any reason they dont have one is it up to me to get one at my own expense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Do you have a car space yeah?

You should have gotten a fob off your landlord if you have a space in the car park. You shouldn't have to pay for it, your rent includes the car parking space, you should be able to access it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Yeah we have a car parking space assigned to the apartment.

There is a keypad on the gate that we can enter a code to open the gate so would that mean that lessens the obligation for them to provide a keyfob as well, or are they still obliged to provide one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I suppose they put the keypad in so that everyone wouldn't have to have a fob as they cost a lot. Best off asking your landlord if you can have one. They were most likely given a couple of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Our landlord supplied us with one, but he took a 125e deposit for it (on top of our security deposit :rolleyes: )
    because the last tenants broke theirs and he had to buy a new one and that was the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

A deposit would be fair enough. Asking you outright pay for it is ridiculous though, what are you going to do with it when you leave!? Not give it back to landlord or management company anyway thats for sure!

• Advertisement

Our landlord supplied us with one, but he took a 125e deposit for it (on top of our security deposit :rolleyes: )
    because the last tenants broke theirs and he had to buy a new one and that was the cost.

I was actually expecting something like this and would be quite happy with this arrangement.

Ill have a chat with the letting agent about it tomorrow. I just wanted to know where I stood with it in case they flat out refuse!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the management company are only buying small replacement quantities of fobs- which would be the norm in an established development- it wouldn't be unusual for the wholesale price to be anything up to EUR80-100, and for the Management Company to supply the fob to owners for a little more than this.

A deposit for a security fob- is normally treated separately to the deposit for a residential unit- sorry!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

djimi wrote: »
    I just wanted to know where I stood with it in case they flat out refuse!

Unless your lease specifies that you will be supplied with a security fob, if you are paying for a parking spot, you are only entitled to access to your parking spot- not access by a means that better suits you- just access, full stop.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Unless your lease specifies that you will be supplied with a security fob, if you are paying for a parking spot, you are only entitled to access to your parking spot- not access by a means that better suits you- just access, full stop.

Thats fair enough I suppose! I dont think the lease specifies but Ill double check.

Ill suggest to the landlord/letting agent that they buy the keyfob and Ill pay a deposit for it for the year. If they dont go for it then Ill have to consider getting it myself I suppose.

Advertisement