Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanley's Cornish Pasties

Options
  • 27-09-2010 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭

Anybody else been yet? Just tried the steak one and it was yum. Really filling. Nice to see something new that isn't a kebab shop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Sounds good where is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

It's down by CP's where the old Quizno was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

how much?

€5 each. I think they have deals on with a drink but not sure how much. I just had the pastie. They do students discounts as well. 10% I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

bigtuna wrote: »
    €5 each. I think they have deals on with a drink but not sure how much. I just had the pastie. They do students discounts as well. 10% I think.

Sounds a bit steep for a pastie, are they massive ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If they fill you up then I guess a fiver is reasonable. Seems like a good lunch offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Hard to get a good Oggy outside of Cornwall. Must check it out sometime though.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Sounds a bit steep for a pastie, are they massive ?

You'd need two hands to eat it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

You'd need two hands to eat it for sure.

you must have teeny hands!

Theyre average pasty size, not the large ones so at 5 quid theyre a bit pricey. They are tasty though and its great to have them in galway, makes a change from all the kebab shops.

3-4 quid would be reasonable, this aint gourmet food you know!
    Ah i miss the jumbo breakfast pasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

bloo wrote: »
    you must have teeny hands!

Theyre average pasty size, not the large ones so at 5 quid theyre a bit pricey. They are tasty though and its great to have them in galway, makes a change from all the kebab shops.

3-4 quid would be reasonable, this aint gourmet food you know!
    Ah i miss the jumbo breakfast pasty

True, but you need to remember we live in rip off Ireland; therefore we have to use the following formula, reasonable retail price+1 Euro=Irish Price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Is it proper meat they use? Not like the sh1te you get in pies at hot counters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Damnit I really want one since I saw the shop the other day. Pretty sure I saw the same shop in Dublin last week too.

Went up there today and had one. As a Cornishman living in Galway for many years I can tell you they are definitely the real McCoy and nothing like the Tesco or Dunnes rubbish. These are genuine Cornish as they are made in Cornwall and only baked here. They are delicious and I would recommend them to anyone.:D

McDougal wrote: »
    Is it proper meat they use? Not like the sh1te you get in pies at hot counters

Most certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭pavb2

I often wondered why you see so many pasty outlets in UK train stations,shopping centres etc but not so much over here especially as there are a lot of co's offering franchises.

Cheese & onion or lamb & mint for me

Had one with one with spinach, feta cheese and pecan yesterday. Sounds a bit odd but delicious!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

after reading bout this place in the paper and reading these posts I decided to give them a go. I got three to take away as a treat. I got them frozen and was told that the instructions was on the bag. No problem. Went home and "read" the bag. I was left wondering could I bake from frozen or should I thaw out - because I wasn't sure they went back in the freezer for another day. Went in and asked same questions to be told that I should have been given that instruction in the shop. No big deal - honest omission. Went home and baked them. (from frozen)

My husband nearly hit the roof when I told him how much I paid - he "opened" his - there was one stringy bit of meat along with a total of I would say a small salad potato and two pieces of veg the size of a 5 cent piece. I told him he must have gotten a "dud" and proceeded to open mine - exact same thing - except I had two pieces of meat stuck together (was this a mistake as they were stuck together). The third one held two piece of meat.

This cost is 15 Euro - yes they are filling, but beware, the filling comes from the thick pastry - not for the content inside.

They are okay if you like pastry but unfortunately I thought they would be more substantial - there was about 1 euro worth of meat in the three pasties and probably 50 cent worth of veg.

I won't be paying 15 euro again to be screwed like that. I'll make my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Cant see it working unfortunately,rent in that little unit is still too high.
    Footfall is not great along that strip and I think from what I have heard it will be a bit of a fad and people will tire of it.
    Kebabs are well established in Galway(overly) but this place has an uphill battle ahead with the excessive charges in Ireland,might be the unit they are in but nothing works in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

after reading bout this place in the paper and reading these posts I decided to give them a go. I got three to take away as a treat. I got them frozen and was told that the instructions was on the bag. No problem. Went home and "read" the bag. I was left wondering could I bake from frozen or should I thaw out - because I wasn't sure they went back in the freezer for another day. Went in and asked same questions to be told that I should have been given that instruction in the shop. No big deal - honest omission. Went home and baked them. (from frozen)

My husband nearly hit the roof when I told him how much I paid - he "opened" his - there was one stringy bit of meat along with a total of I would say a small salad potato and two pieces of veg the size of a 5 cent piece. I told him he must have gotten a "dud" and proceeded to open mine - exact same thing - except I had two pieces of meat stuck together (was this a mistake as they were stuck together). The third one held two piece of meat.

This cost is 15 Euro - yes they are filling, but beware, the filling comes from the thick pastry - not for the content inside.

They are okay if you like pastry but unfortunately I thought they would be more substantial - there was about 1 euro worth of meat in the three pasties and probably 50 cent worth of veg.

I won't be paying 15 euro again to be screwed like that. I'll make my own.

+1.

Had the Corish type pastie. It contained a ridculously small amount of ingredients. Two very small strips of meat, a salad potato and a couple of cubes of swede.

Its basically hot pasty in a bag, for a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

They do students discounts as well. 10% I think.

They do 20% student discount! Only on the traditional menu. Tried one, was nice but a bit dry.

• Advertisement

+1.

Had the Corish type pastie. It contained a ridculously small amount of ingredients. Two very small strips of meat, a salad potato and a couple of cubes of swede.

Its basically hot pasty in a bag, for a fiver.

i think you meant to say hot PASTRY (not pasty) and I completely agree. If you like PASTRY then go for it - however if you like pastry FILLING then don't spend a fiver on this.

I wouldn't mind but they got such a good write up and I think everybody wanted to try them. If only they would have realised that if people were satisfied they would return for more. By scrimping on the filling they have ensured that the are a lot of non-returning of people. Okay they got 15 euro out of me (one time), but if their food was worth it, they would have got a lot more from me - as it is I won't be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Was in there the other day chatting to yer man. They get them in frozen from Cornwall, which apparently is a good thing. It was my first time eating one of these things. Had the traditional one, thought it was heavy on the veg, light on the meat and overall a bit bland. It's 4 euro for a student and 5 for everyone else and you can also get a larger one for 7 euro I think. Don't think I'd bother going there again as it's no better than some of the stuff you'd get out of the frozen food section in tesco in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

This thread went from overwhelmingly positive feedback to overwhelmingly negative...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Welcome to the Galway "appreciation" society :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This thread went from overwhelmingly positive feedback to overwhelmingly negative...

Its the nature of whine chat boards to do that - one or two bad eggs rot the whole barrel so to speak...

I had the 'Large' steak one and while I thought the meat content was a bit low, the filling was very tasty and the pastry just the right side of crumbly. I ate it walking around town and was full for the rest of the day.

Not too greasy, not too hot, not too small, not cold, not chewy. Not made in Ireland, not cheap enough to eat every day, not enough meat.

If you compare a) a sandwich from DeLight, b) the daily special in Boogaloo Burger c) a Cornish from Hanlys I think you'll still find Hanlys good value.

'cptr

well....the truth hurts.

only stating the facts - thats allowed, isn't it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did someone go through this thread and edit all the prices? I could have sworn people were bitching about the €6 price tag they started off with? You can see in the shop the marks on the menus where they scraped off the 6 and replaced it with a 5.

Anyway Im glad its another British chain thats failing and not some pensioners dream dying and costing him his life savings, it hasnt a hope of survial there, Ive only ever seen 1 customer in it.

from the massive write ups in the paper a couple of weeks ago, they were a fiver and I paid a fiver each for three. I don't know how much the "other flavoured" ones are, but I decided to go for the original pastie, the one they are famous for - I won't be going back to sample the others. Maybe they were 6 euro at the start. I'd say they'll be down to 99 for two, after everyone has their first taste tho - can't see much return business when people are watching every penny they spend - they need good value now more than ever and this is not the place to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

If the one I had so far (steak & gravy) would have had a little bit more meat it would have been absolutely perfect! Warmed me up nice walking around town on a cold afternoon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyway Im glad its another British chain thats failing and not some pensioners dream dying and costing him his life savings, it hasnt a hope of survial there, Ive only ever seen 1 customer in it.
    The pensioner led pasty crash of 2008 was a cruel time for all concerned. Thank you for such a patriotic endorsement of a business paying tax and employing people in these times when it's clearly the last thing the country needs...

Advertisement