Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanley's Cornish Pasties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I agree with you there Robbo, another British chain sucking the cash out of the local economy is the last thing we need, hopefully an Irish business will open in its place, or at least an empty unit for a few months might encourage landlords to drop the rent a bit and make Ireland a bit more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Thargor wrote: »
    I agree with you there Robbo, another British chain sucking the cash out of the local economy is the last thing we need, hopefully an Irish business will open in its place, or at least an empty unit for a few months might encourage landlords to drop the rent a bit and make Ireland a bit more competitive.

Of course, theres no Irish companies doing the same sort of thing in the UK :rolleyes: It's a 2 way street thats called business. If that unit lies empty for a few months, thats a few more on the dole!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

On the scale of Tesco, Argos, Currys, PC World, Maplins and God knows how many hideous clothes shop chains around the place? Would ya go away out of that.

Thargor wrote: »
    On the scale of Tesco, Argos, Currys, PC World, Maplins and God knows how many hideous clothes shop chains around the place? Would ya go away out of that.

Off the top of my head, Penny's for one, probably have more outlets in the UK as Primark, than all those that you mention have here put together. Most people would welcome such shops as you mention and the competition they bring not to mention the employment they bring. With out them we would all be poorer for choice. My last comment on this subject as it is going way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Standman wrote: »
    It's 4 euro for a student and 5 for everyone else and you can also get a larger one for 7 euro I think. Don't think I'd bother going there again as it's no better than some of the stuff you'd get out of the frozen food section in tesco in my opinion.

As a person who's intermittently-waged (ie temping), I'm less than impressed with businesses that charge me full price, but give generous discounts to students who've often got mammy and daddy picking up the bill.

Back on topic of the pasties, yes, a bit of meat and gravy inside thick pastry is what they're supposed to be. Did you see the line in the newspaper arti-vert-icle the other week saying they were invented in "Cornwall beside England" ... thought that was cute marketing speak.

IMHO they're reasonable value for hot food served to eat-and-run in town. Dreadful value for frozen food that you need to take home and cook for yourself. Can't see how they can possible charge the same price for the two approaches. But I guess it's supply and demand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »
    Back on topic of the pasties, yes, a bit of meat and gravy inside thick pastry is what they're supposed to be. Did you see the line in the newspaper arti-vert-icle the other week saying they were invented in "Cornwall beside England" ... thought that was cute marketing speak.
    Cornish separatists, tbh.

I notice that a number of people disagree with the Cornish concern's pricing of pastry based goods, in other words they don't like the Pie Rates of Penzance.

I make no apologies for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

well, lets just say i won't be climbing over rocky mountain to get at them :D

Robbo wrote: »
    Cornish separatists, tbh.

Wahayyy! Kernow Bys Vykken!
    Robbo wrote: »
    I notice that a number of people disagree with the Cornish concern's pricing of pastry based goods, in other words they don't like the Pie Rates of Penzance.
    I make no apologies for that one.

Very good, love it.

JustMary wrote: »
    Dreadful value for frozen food that you need to take home and cook for yourself. Can't see how they can possible charge the same price for the two approaches. But I guess it's supply and demand.

Have to agree with you there JustMary. Your not using them or their electricity (or gas) to cook them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

For the record, I had one this evening.

Steak and gravy; €5. It was very tasty. The level of meat was satisfactory but there was a slightly too much salt for my liking. That said, I do use very little salt in my cooking.

The portability of the pasty was to be admired as well. I had the thing bought and eaten between the shop and O'Connells on the Square.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

After reading the whole thread I will have to buy one today and report back

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Tried one the other day and was distinctly unimpressed. About 3 hunks of meat that wasn't tender, too much potato / carrot. It was just a bit bland really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Have to add myself to the unimpressed side. Went in one evening last week at 6.15. Was really looking forward to trying out the Stilton and Broccoli (I think) one. There were only 2 of the trays left in the glass thingy but no S&B so I asked and was told none left. Was looking to see what else veggie was there and she took the trays away from in front of me and started putting them in a fridge or something (I presume to reheat in the morning). Called her back anyway and got a Cheese and Onion one. Asked if they were closing early and was told 'Oh no, not till 7, but it took me so long to clean up the last day Im doing it now.' WTF???. How can anyone get one in the remaining 45 minutes when there were none there? Anyway got it home (5 mins away) and it was small, not very warm and greasy. Had to turn on oven and heat it up. I was really hoping my experience would have been good cos I used to love them when I lived in the West Country years ago :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Seems to be a mixed reaction between "OK" and "Bad", and no feedback of "good"

Have they an email address? Maybe they could read this thread. Not in a "You suck" way, but it may help them to improve in the hope of getting return custom. I admire any business' going out on a limb and starting up in the current climate, but no business will survive on once-off sales, they require return custom.

I'd love to try them, but not until they improve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I had a steak and cheese yesterday. really enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I've passed a few times and have been meaning to give it a go,but never had any money on me. I'm willing to try it out anyway and see how I feel about it.

You should be able to get one tomorrow Greetings after Xpyros success today ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'll have to keep some aside for beers tomorrow :pac: Hopefully Liverpool can do the business today :pac: back on topic anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

They're nothing hectic but they are pretty good with a can of coke and the paper on a hungover weekend morning (afternoon)
    Pretty girls there too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

A bit off-topic, but did anyone ever try Pie Face? They had a stall at the Volvo Ocean Race and were the only stall still selling hot food in the early hours as the boats were coming in. Would love to see a them open a shop in Galway, but portability is probably their game.

I was hoping to try Hanley's this Saturday but ended up not going to town. Ah, I'll try it next week. Do they have a menu online?4

edit - got one for the Dublin branch:
    http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/city_centre/city_centre_south/hanleys_cornish_pasties/menu.aspx

• Advertisement

why is the dublin branch ones only 3.95, and the ones in Galway are 5 Euro. Is that their idea of their "opening offers". overcharge them while they are still new and people will go in to sample them. thats a complete turn off.

also I completely agree that charging full price - 5 Euro - for a frozen one that you have to bake yourself is a bit of a rip off.

Lol. Looks like the staff have been given a PR role. That does nothing to help yer cause lads. Explaining the price differences etc might get ye some sympathy.

Murphyone wrote: »
    Welcome to Galway Hanley's......keep going...there are some of us here who appreciate good food.....we're not all that narrow minded (I really hope the owner reads this!!)
    Oh and to finish.......the day I went......four people in the queue and a really pretty smiley girl serving.....can it get better Thargor?

ahh yes, the "pretty girl at the counter" trick. Works every time. see a pretty girl - get all gaa gaa - could be handed a roasted rat and say it was great.

a bit like putting the sweeties at the cash registers in supermarkets :D:D

I'm a bit confused?....just had a pasty the other day in Dublin (Saturday) and it was 5 Euro.....cheese and ham.....really hot and tasty, plenty of flavour....not sure what this post means?

they also had the same student discount in dublin so pretty cool.

I do agree that the frozen could be a bit cheaper, but they sell 10 for the price the price of 12 so surely this is a discount?....anyways..I really enjoyed them and they'll be seeing me in Abeeygate Street for sure! cheers guys!

sorry, somebody just posted a link on this thread to the price of the hanleys cornish pasties in dublin - the price said 3.95 - thats where I was coming from on his post - unless the link has false information.

Looks like Poppy is trying to make them even more money if she is selling 10 for the price of 12 :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Can someone confirm the dublin prices because I really dont like price discrimination....
    What do you think lovepoppy? Any chance of a boardsies discount??

i just read a review/post that said you get a pastie and any drink in dublin for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Dr McManus wrote: »
    True, but you need to remember we live in rip off Ireland; therefore we have to use the following formula, reasonable retail price+1 Euro=Irish Price.

Yeah but accepting that is part of the problem. It is why we got ourselves into the mess we are in and also why we continue to get ripped off. €5 for a pastie is a rip-off. I saw the owners advertising the opening saying it was great value....come off it!!

I just don't think we complain enough about what we are charged for different stuff. If the punter pays it then I suppose that's their choice but people are going to charge what they can get away with rather than try to be fair and offer a product at a fair price for what it is. It's frustrating though, you can't even get a decent tasting sandwich anymore at a fair price in a deli. ...ah rant over....:(

• Advertisement

@ Murphy. If you keep digging you will be able to get under the Irish Sea and have it fresh from the bakery.

Advertisement