Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanley's Cornish Pasties

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

gandroid wrote: »
    Yeah but accepting that is part of the problem. It is why we got ourselves into the mess we are in and also why we continue to get ripped off. €5 for a pastie is a rip-off. I saw the owners advertising the opening saying it was great value....come off it!!

I just don't think we complain enough about what we are charged for different stuff. If the punter pays it then I suppose that's their choice but people are going to charge what they can get away with rather than try to be fair and offer a product at a fair price for what it is. It's frustrating though, you can't even get a decent tasting sandwich anymore at a fair price in a deli. ...ah rant over....:(

they won't last the year though - so you can have the last laugh at them as they pack up their pastry and leave (that is unless they actually fill the pastry with something decent or lower their prices drastically to confirm with the price of baked pastry).

i see they ran the PR job again on this place in the papers on Wed and Thursday - not a good sign. People must be realising its doesn't to what it says on the tin. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

bigtuna wrote: »
    Nice to see something new that isn't a kebab shop.
    bloo wrote: »
    its great to have them in galway, makes a change from all the kebab shops.

Jesus, I'd love a kebab right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I finally got a chance to try Hanley's today, having been sick for the past three weeks. I went in at about 1.30pm and asked if they had any Steak and Gravy pasties. The girl said she could get me one straight out of the oven, which was great given the cold afternoon!

Have to say, it was delicious. It had steak, gravy, potato and swede inside. I noticed how a lot of people were talking about a lack of meat. For the Steak and Gravy there was definitely a good amount. Not big chunks, but more like smaller "threads" of meat mixed in nicely with the gravy and everything else. The pastry was lovely, especially as it was hot and soft out of the oven. And it was stuffed to the brim with filling. Having said that, I ruined a good pair of jeans from eh, leakage...

Also, it's 20% off for the frozen pasties, so frozen ones are now €4. I tend to compare prices across different places, so I found myself comparing a €5 pasty to a €4.50 plate of sausages and chips in Lynch's Café which also almost guarantees you a seat and at least a jug of water. A drink on top of a pasty will set you back €6. That said, a greasy meal in Supermac's would set you back more than €6 :/

I'll definitely be going back. Not only did it taste great, but the hot pasty was great for the cold winter hands!

Out of curiosity, has anyone had the Chicken Tikka? I'm tempted, but don't know if a chicken pasty would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I got chatting to yer man about the bad press this place was getting and informed him that I was an established member on boards and would be willing to write up a positive review on condition that I get one free cornish pastie each week with a free can of coke and two on my borthday. Either that or I'm riding his sister

FYP

• Advertisement

FYP

:rolleyes:

First of all you'll see I compared it to one of my usual haunts, Lynch's. It's less expensive and means I'll get a seat and at least a jug of water.

But heh... upon reading it it sounds like a spamvertisement. If you want another opinion, I don't see it lasting past winter. But since I've been reading this thread and dealing with abdominal spasms over the past three weeks I was actually excited about trying this place :pac:

:rolleyes:

First of all you'll see I compared it to one of my usual haunts, Lynch's. It's less expensive and means I'll get a seat and at least a jug of water.

But heh... upon reading it it sounds like a spamvertisement. If you want another opinion, I don't see it lasting past winter. But since I've been reading this thread and dealing with abdominal spasms over the past three weeks I was actually excited about trying this place :pac:

ok, forgive my cynicism but theres a few deleted posts and a highly entertaining thread in prison so i was sceptical
    I've had a few, they were grand, good on a sat morning, but they never had the steak and gravy which is what I was after

ok, forgive my cynicism but theres a few deleted posts and a highly entertaining thread in prison so i was sceptical
    I've had a few, they were grand, good on a sat morning, but they never had the steak and gravy which is what I was after

No worries :cool:

It reminds me of the type of place that would run out of pasties early. In other words, I imagine they might only have a few dry/unpopular pasties left in the hot counter by about 4 o'clock. I was in town earlier than usual today, so I think I just got lucky. When I said that I got one out of the oven, I was pretty fortunate. All the steak ones were gone and only a few odd-sounding ones remained, which is why I had to ask.

And when you say posts/threads in prison, do you mean about Hanley's or just in general?

It reminds me of the type of place that would run out of pasties early. In other words, I imagine they might only have a few dry/unpopular pasties left in the hot counter by about 4 o'clock. I was in town earlier than usual today, so I think I just got lucky. When I said that I got one out of the oven, I was pretty lucky. All the steak ones were gone, which is why I had to ask.

And when you say posts/threads in prison, do you mean about Hanley's or just in general?

the hanleys one, its funny and i love the prison mods :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Double cheeseburger meal in Supermacs or Burger King for a fiver > Hanleys Cornish Pasties.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Double cheeseburger meal in Supermacs or Burger King for a fiver > Hanleys Cornish Pasties.

I'll give you Burger King, but only if it's the Angus :/

also - Slasher, was it this one?: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056073557

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I'll give you Burger King, but only if it's the Angus :/

also - Slasher, was it this one?: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056073557

No its this absolute cracker of a thread! :D

yekahs wrote: »

Haha, most entertaining ten minutes I've had in a while! :D

May I ask if a legal letter has been received? Or if Boards.ie has been shut down? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

As an avid reader of the prison thread since it started (wasnt sure if I was allowed to mention it so I stayed quiet) all I can say is the OP of the thread has done nothing to help the place (although she did say she would go in and apologize if she fecked them up :-S ) At least Mrs Hanley AKA Poppy21 took my comments in good spirits. If she and Murphy are one and the same I suggest she cuts her losses. Back to the pasties: I wasnt looking for anything obscure. I was looking to see what vegetarian option they had, but the trays were being pulled away from me because it was 45 minutes before closing time and the staff member wanted to be out by 7. I suggest the owner pays his staff till 7.30! Also one of the main things is DONT TRY TO SCREW YOUR CUSTOMERS!! You can afford to sell the products cheaper in your Dublin shops where the overheads are higher so dont take advantage of Galway people just because its new. Your representative in the prison thread is calling racism but what about the Dublin/Galway divide? As I said earlier in this thread I want this to work but I really think more thought has to be put into PR. Adverts in local papers dont work anymore when things can be reviewed as they happen. Again I wish ye the best of luck but JUST THINK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

yekahs wrote: »

Comedy gold! Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

I work near one of the Hanley's in Dublin. It opened probably 3 months ago and the traditional pasties were 3.95. Loved 'em, great for lunch, tasty, and I was a regular customer. NOw if 3.95 was some introductory special they should have really promoted that.

Went in this week only tio find they've gone up in price to €5. The girl was quite rude when I asked what happened to the prices, so I won't be in there as much anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

soundbyte wrote: »
    Comedy gold! Thanks for the link.
    It is! Im being slandered in another part of the forum and I didnt know about it. Gordon and Zaph are brilliant. Im not being a racist in this thread am I? I just prefer to see Irish shops doing well before others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It is! Im being slandered in another part of the forum and I didnt know about it. Gordon and Zaph are brilliant. Im not being a racist in this thread am I? I just prefer to see Irish shops doing well before others.

I hear you're a racist now, father

No, I think she was just looking for anything to draw the attention away from herself. Unfortunately calling the racist card on the Internet doesn't really work...

It reminds me of the type of place that would run out of pasties early. In other words, I imagine they might only have a few dry/unpopular pasties left in the hot counter by about 4 o'clock. I was in town earlier than usual today, so I think I just got lucky. When I said that I got one out of the oven, I was pretty fortunate. All the steak ones were gone and only a few odd-sounding ones remained, which is why I had to ask.

they say that they make fresh batches every hour so I don't think you would get a dry one that was left there all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

^^ provided the one you choose sold out before the previous batch was put on!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

I had read through this thread and felt I had to give Hanleys a go. Having traveled New Zealand and Australia (Pie capitals of the world), I have to say Hanleys isn't that bad. In fact I liked it. €5 for a pasty and coke. I had chicken and veg(plenty of chicken) my girlfriend had steak and gravy and we both liked them.

The service was friendly and the food fresh (3:30pm). These pies are miles ahead of petrol stations and convenience stores. I had a good experience and really cant understand the bad comments. Some of the comments were petty and bordered on racism, if not extreme nationalism. So what if they are British. They pay their tax's & rates here, employee staff who pay taxes, rent a premises that probably is owned by an Irishman and will surely invest the profits in Ireland if this shop is successful, on other shops in Ireland. Those who wished them failure are sad. Would you say that to the local staff employed behind the counter? Do you wish the American companies employing 1000's in this city fail, as they are "not Irish"?

ps They should do a bacon & cabbage with parsley sauce pasty. I made one at home a few months back and it was quite nice(even if I say so myself).

Best of luck Hanleys. Never mind the begrudger's. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

darrenh wrote: »
    I had read through this thread and felt I had to give Hanleys a go. Having traveled New Zealand and Australia (Pie capitals of the world), I have to say Hanleys isn't that bad. In fact I liked it. €5 for a pasty and coke. I had chicken and veg(plenty of chicken) my girlfriend had steak and gravy and we both liked them.

The service was friendly and the food fresh (3:30pm). These pies are miles ahead of petrol stations and convenience stores. I had a good experience and really cant understand the bad comments. Some of the comments were petty and bordered on racism, if not extreme nationalism. So what if they are British. They pay their tax's & rates here, employee staff who pay taxes, rent a premises that probably is owned by an Irishman and will surely invest the profits in Ireland if this shop is successful, on other shops in Ireland. Those who wished them failure are sad. Would you say that to the local staff employed behind the counter? Do you wish the American companies employing 1000's in this city fail, as they are "not Irish"?

ps They should do a bacon & cabbage with parsley sauce pasty. I made one at home a few months back and it was quite nice(even if I say so myself).

Best of luck Hanleys. Never mind the begrudger's. ;)

Well said sir

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I really don't get why people are so whingy and high horse-y over this.

I had one recently and was totally satisfied with essentially a rather filling meal and a can of coke for €5. Size was plenty big for me, food was fresh and to be honest I didnt really expect a huge amount more from it.

From what I've seen in this thread, no one have said they're bad. Just expensive or insufficiently packed or whatever.

Any possibility of focusing on that positive fact?

Maybe it will last, maybe it won't... but either way try to enjoy a teensy bit more culinary diversity in your lives before we're all reduced to eating Soylent Green.

Got a pastie for the second time today. Went in at about 2.30pm. There was a sign in the window saying "Next batch at 2.50". I was pretty ravenous at that stage, so I didn't feel like waiting. They didn't have any Steak and Gravy (sad face), so I went for the "Regular Steak". Exact same thing, just no gravy.

Was lovely and filling like the first time, just a little disappointing as it was a bit dry (lack of gravy being the only reason). They didn't have many in the hot counter at the time, just a few Regular Steaks and Chicken Tikkas, but admittedly I should have waited the 20 minutes for the fresh ones :pac:

Also, contrary to my first time, this time I felt there definitely wasn't enough meat. It was definitely more packed with potato and swede.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Had a lovely large tasty pasty in the service stop off the M4 motorway last week for the very reasonable and fair price of €2.49. This is more like what a pastie should cost. Still can't believe I didn't go for BK but managed to stop myself and the pastie proved a satisfying alternative. €5 for a pastie is a rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

gandroid wrote: »
    Had a lovely large tasty pasty in the service stop off the M4 motorway last week for the very reasonable and fair price of €2.49. This is more like what a pastie should cost. Still can't believe I didn't go for BK but managed to stop myself and the pastie proved a satisfying alternative. €5 for a pastie is a rip-off.

I'd love to know what the make of that Pasty was. At that price, tasty or not, it would be a cheap imitation and definitely not Cornish. When you think that €5 is about the going rate for a pasty in Cornwall, it's not that bad that after the transport to get them here you are still paying roughly the same price. They're not everyones taste, fair enough, but if you want a greasy burger you've got plenty of choice around this town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I haven't tried one of these yet, I should though because I love pasties.

Just wondering- what's the difference between Cornish pasties and regular ones? I've heard a couple of people justify their price by saying they're Cornish and therefore deserve to be more expensive. Do Cornish pasties have different ingredients or something?

Although I haven't had one yet, €5 seem reasonable enough to me, but only if they're big and full of decent fillings. I know pasties are super cheap to make, but they are a bit of a hassle so I wouldn't mind paying more to have one served up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

vulcan57 wrote: »
    I'd love to know what the make of that Pasty was. At that price, tasty or not, it would be a cheap imitation and definitely not Cornish. When you think that €5 is about the going rate for a pasty in Cornwall, it's not that bad that after the transport to get them here you are still paying roughly the same price. They're not everyones taste, fair enough, but if you want a greasy burger you've got plenty of choice around this town.

Strange if they cost a fiver in Cornwall that they can afford to sell them for 3.95 in Dublin after importing them. I suppose they cover their losses by charging us 5.

• Advertisement

moonflower wrote: »
    Just wondering- what's the difference between Cornish pasties and regular ones?

Cornish Pasties generally have swede as a filling (at least according to Wikipedia), but I don't know if that's a defining factor. Personally would do without the swede myself.

The mother brought me home one today. Ended up coming home very late so had to heat it up in the oven (Steak and Gravy). Turned out grand, took ages to heat through though.

Anyone try the Chicken Tikka one yet?

Advertisement