Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanley's Cornish Pasties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Strange if they cost a fiver in Cornwall that they can afford to sell them for 3.95 in Dublin after importing them. I suppose they cover their losses by charging us 5.

I think you'll find that they are the same price in Dublin now. Think that was an offer and was €5 for pasty and coke and someone came up with the idea that the pasty must cost 3.95. Open to correction though.

moonflower wrote: »

Just wondering- what's the difference between Cornish pasties and regular ones? I've heard a couple of people justify their price by saying they're Cornish and therefore deserve to be more expensive. Do Cornish pasties have different ingredients or something?

A Cornish Pasty is mainly the shape and can comprise of any filling, there is a saying in Cornwall that "the Devil will never come to Cornwall because they will put anything in a pasty". They were originally invented for the miners that used to work the many tin mines that were around Cornwall and the shape was so that the crimping around the edge was held and the pasty eaten and then the crimping would be discarded. Save eating the dirt and, more so, the arsenic that was found in the mines. Traditionally they would use the ingredients that were to hand and that was beef or mutton, potatoes, onions and swede or turnip and seasoning and that is considered the traditional pasty. In many cases in the mining times pasties were made half and half with one half having the savoury and the other a sweet filling so that you would have your dinner and desert in one package.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

vulcan57 wrote: »
    I think you'll find that they are the same price in Dublin now. Think that was an offer and was €5 for pasty and coke and someone came up with the idea that the pasty must cost 3.95. Open to correction though.

Prepare to be corrected lol. Check page 4 of this thread. There is a link to their Dublin menu.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Back to Pastiegate, they were giving out free samples the last day. Fairly big (about 1/4 sized) and most tasty.

For 5 bucks, it beats the ****e out of any similarly priced burgers and consider how much a savoury crepe is in the market. To those who consider the price a bit steep, can you name me a hot, portable comestible of similar size that is superior to the pastie?

Prepare to be corrected lol. Check page 4 of this thread. There is a link to their Dublin menu.

If thats right, then I stand corrected. LOL ..........................But! From the same page post 59. I quote "i just read a review/post that said you get a pastie and any drink in dublin for a fiver."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Both a pastie and a crepe seem overpriced to me. Just because they may be cheaper than other foodstuffs doesn't mean they are cheap.

Take the M & S meal for 2 at €12 which includes a botler of wine, thats's a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

If thats right, then I stand corrected. LOL ..........................But! From the same page post 59. I quote "i just read a review/post that said you get a pastie and any drink in dublin for a fiver."

It's a pasty and a drink for a fiver in Galway too. Or it is for students anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Robbo wrote: »
    Back to Pastiegate, they were giving out free samples the last day. Fairly big (about 1/4 sized) and most tasty.

For 5 bucks, it beats the ****e out of any similarly priced burgers and consider how much a savoury crepe is in the market. To those who consider the price a bit steep, can you name me a hot, portable comestible of similar size that is superior to the pastie?

Forget about one reason, here's twenty four reasons as to why a fiver for a pastie is a rip off.

http://blog.just-eat.ie/five-euro-feasts/galway-city/

I know the above is a special offer for November only, but times as they are people can always find some fast food place doing some offer sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Robbo wrote: »

A half pound burger from the kebab hut beside kellys is 4.50. Its delicious.

It seems to me that the pasty shop is trying to do for pies what boogaloo was trying to do for burgers, that is offer a fancy version for a higher price. Most people seem unimpressed because the pasties don't differ significantly from those able to be bought elsewhere. Granted I haven't been in yet but I can tell from just reading the thread that the versions on offer are not different from any hot deli that have pies or pasties, so its hard to see how the price difference is justified. In comparison boogaloo offers a wide ranging menu, much larger burgers than the average, a choice of meats and breads, as well as at least a dozen various burgers.

Also I agree with HTW that just because a crepe is overpriced it doesn't mean other food is necessarily a better price.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I'd love to know what the make of that Pasty was. At that price, tasty or not, it would be a cheap imitation and definitely not Cornish. When you think that €5 is about the going rate for a pasty in Cornwall, it's not that bad that after the transport to get them here you are still paying roughly the same price. They're not everyones taste, fair enough, but if you want a greasy burger you've got plenty of choice around this town.

Not sure what difference it makes whether it was cornish or not, the thread has been about pasties. Saying it was a cheap imitation is pure speculation on your part. It was a good pastie imo and I was the one who ate it after all I've eaten a few. You should try one next time you're on the way to Dublin! :) Not sure what you mean about them being transported from Cornwall....surely it might just as easily have been produced in this country. As for not being to everyone's taste...I didn't say they were one way or another :confused:
    And yes I know there are plenty greasy burgers around this town...I don't really eat them often but thanks for letting me know! :confused:

• Advertisement

They are produced in cornwall by Hanley's and shipped to Ireland, they advertised this fact so its not guesswork on the part of vulcan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

On the subject of price differences between here and Dublin, I happened to be passing the one in Temple Bar today and had a peek and it's €5 for a pastie, same as in Galway.

They are produced in cornwall by Hanley's and shipped to Ireland, they advertised this fact so its not guesswork on the part of vulcan.

I didn't say this was guesswork. I accept this.

I was merely saying that it was speculative on his part to pass judgement on something I ate elsewhere (without tasting one himself)...that's all...

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

A half pound burger from the kebab hut beside kellys is 4.50. Its delicious.

It seems to me that the pasty shop is trying to do for pies what boogaloo was trying to do for burgers, that is offer a fancy version for a higher price. Most people seem unimpressed because the pasties don't differ significantly from those able to be bought elsewhere. Granted I haven't been in yet but I can tell from just reading the thread that the versions on offer are not different from any hot deli that have pies or pasties, so its hard to see how the price difference is justified.

Also I agree with HTW that just because a crepe is overpriced it doesn't mean other food is necessarily a better price.

There is a huge, sorry no, massive differnece between Hanleys and any other on offer. I haven't found one of similar quality anywhere. If someone has could you please let me know as I'd like to try it. How can you say I've never tried it but by reading here it sounds like they are just the same as elsewhere ie petrol stations and convenience stores.

Remember these are Pasties and not Pie's. Pasties come from a traditional recipe of gravy, spuds, swede and a bit of meat mixed together to make a nice filling. A pie on the other hand if properly made should have chunks of meat.

gandroid wrote: »
    I didn't say this was guesswork. I accept this.

I was merely saying that it was speculative on his part to pass judgement on something I ate elsewhere (without tasting one himself)...that's all...

You said it might have just as easily be produced in this country which its not. I don't have a problem where they make the stuff I was just clarifying for you.

darrenh wrote: »
    There is a huge, sorry no, massive differnece between Hanleys and any other on offer. I haven't found one of similar quality anywhere. If someone has could you please let me know as I'd like to try it. How can you say I've never tried it but by reading here it sounds like they are just the same as elsewhere ie petrol stations and convenience stores.

Same flavours. Presumably the same flour and fat in the pastry too. I wasn't saying the quality is the exact same apologies if that wasn't clear enoguh but in terms of price difference its hard to justify the fiver for hanley's when they don't seem to distance themselves enough from the rest of the products on the market.

Same flavours. Presumably the same flour and fat in the pastry too. I wasn't saying the quality is the exact same apologies if that wasn't clear enoguh but in terms of price difference its hard to justify the fiver for hanley's when they don't seem to distance themselves enough from the rest of the products on the market.

I know what your saying but I dont really understand it:confused:

How have they not distanced themselves from the rest of the market.
    1) They promote themselves as being the real deal. Cornish Pasties made in Cornwall with traditional Cornish recipes.
    2) The pastry they have is far superior from that of local competitors. The only pastry we can compare it to, is the Pasty's sold in Centra's etc. There is no comparison.
    3) They are bigger portions than all local competitors.
    4) The €5 price is not cheap but definitely appropriate for what you get.

I wouldn't normally keep arguing a point on here but the rubbish written here about Hanleys is totally out of proportion. They're not the best god damn pasty's in the world but definitely a lot better than the reports on here. I also have to factor in peoples tastes and realise I could be wrong. I dont think I am though. I suggest people try them first before assuming on Boards what they're like.

What I would love to see in Galway is a proper Pie shop like the ones in NZ and Oz. There is a huge market there if someone had the backing to open one. I cant understand why it isn't already big here as we are a pie eating type of country (if that makes sense). Same with Haggis. A food us Paddy's should love but you cant find it here to save your life. It's the same as white or black pudding, just a little spicier.

You said it might have just as easily be produced in this country which its not. I don't have a problem where they make the stuff I was just clarifying for you.

Well just to clarify once again, I was not talking about Hanley's - I was only ever talking about the one I had, which I posted about. I don't know where it was made, but as I said I am sure it could just as easily have been made in this country as in any other. I'll ask them if I stop by there again. But it tasted damn fine and nothing like "a cheap imitation"...who knows maybe it was homemade with the finest of ingredients!

This is quite the contentious thread considering it's all about pasties lol.:) Goodnight!

darrenh wrote: »
    What I would love to see in Galway is a proper Pie shop like the ones in NZ and Oz. There is a huge market there if someone had the backing to open one. I cant understand why it isn't already big here as we are a pie eating type of country (if that makes sense). Same with Haggis. A food us Paddy's should love but you cant find it here to save your life. It's the same as white or black pudding, just a little spicier.

I agree wholeheartedly, always wondered if they would take off here.The Aussies have some great ones right enough. I love pies me. I wonder what you could charge for a good pie? And would people argue over it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Just tried these today. Yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I can't believe this thread has reached 8 pages in length.........

/facepalm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Cornish pasties are a very contentious subject don't you know, I look forward to trying one some day.

/highfive

I actually sit and wait all day now for someone to slander a cornish pasty.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Had one today, first time, chicken tikka. for a fiver, it included a can as well. I was well satisfied after eating it, comparing it to other fast foods i thought it was good value .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Had a reguar steak pastie today and there was loads of meet in it. Very happy with it, pastie and can of coke is a great hangover cure.

But there's never any steak and gravy when I go in, and I've been in a fair few times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

But there's never any steak and gravy when I go in, and I've been in a fair few times

I haven't given up on them yet, really want a real alternative take-away to work.... called in during the week and got a steak and gravy... there was much more in it than earlier pasties that I got. Either they've upped the portion sizes or the steak and gravy is specifically good. Got it with a drink for €5. Well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm gonna give the Chicken Tikka or Steak and Gravy one a go during the week. I find it hard to be torn away from my Gala rolls though!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Had the steak and gravy yesterday, it was pretty awesome and quite good value. Only thing was that the steak was minced (minor let down) and it stayed hot for friggin ages (good/bad depending on how hungry you are)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hanleys looking more attractive when you look at the ridiculous prices in the Xmas market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Thargor wrote: »
    Hanleys looking more attractive when you look at the ridiculous prices in the Xmas market.

Good point,
    That new Market is ridiculous,got carried away first day I was at it but in terms of value not much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I tried these a few weeks ago and I really, really like them. So much so I've been having one every day for lunch since I started working in town. A fiver for a pastie and a can of coke is fairly decent and they're nom. Staff in there are really friendly too.

Chicken and veg is my favourite, followed by the christmas one. I've wanted to try the Steak and gravy but if it's mince in it I don't think I'd like it very much.

Advertisement