Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanley's Cornish Pasties

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

moonflower wrote: »
    I tried these a few weeks ago and I really, really like them. So much so I've been having one every day for lunch since I started working in town. A fiver for a pastie and a can of coke is fairly decent and they're nom. Staff in there are really friendly too.

Chicken and veg is my favourite, followed by the christmas one. I've wanted to try the Steak and gravy but if it's mince in it I don't think I'd like it very much.

I think there are weight watchers classes in town at various times. :D:D

seems like in the last few posts, there seems to be more "filling" inside the pasties. Maybe they read this and said they better provide value for money - fair play if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I tried Hanley's this week. Went for a steak and gravy pasty with a coke for a fiver. The pasty was fresh out of the oven and piping hot but it really didn't have enough meat. I know a pasty generally isn't full of chunks of meat but mine didn't have enough meat in it to give it a distinctive steak flavour. It mainly tasted of pastry, pepper and the gravy and wasn't distinctive enough. I might give the place another go at some stage but it'd need a bit more to make me go more regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Jeez Leroy, is your New Year Resolution to eat in every fast food outlet in Galway in a week? :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Been eating there constantly since I got moved closer into town for work.

Gonna try to eat my way through the entire menu. :D

Had a Spinach, Pecan and Feta pasty yesterday, and it was sublime. Filling was exploding out of the pasty and t'was a friggin delicious veggie option.

I don't care what ya'll cynics and snobs say.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAqTbHrvoRGauivjrColabWWyYmkGlJszsB7bmcgU4iBQHVJks

Haters gonna hate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

The mother brought a pasty home to me today since I'm sick and yer man gave her two since they were closing shop. It's in the oven now... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Guna get mam to bring me some home next week, where exactly is it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

They had 20% off today, I won't eat them to be honest cos I eat more, 'hippy,' food than that but they seem popular from what my friends say.

They're doing 2 pasties for 8 squid now. Free drinks included. Got the Galwegian, and the Chicken Tikka today. Nom noms!
    They had 20% off today..

Was asking about that, 20% at all times to students and OAPs.

Making it my mission to eat my way through the entire menu.... only 3 more to go! :D

Looks like theyre copping on with their prices.
    Might give it another go so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They still open? Walked past them on Tuesday just after noon and they looked shut. Presumed they'd be open by then for lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

OP, thank you, thank you, a million times thank you. Awesome alternative to Capitol hill Kebab/Kebab house/charcoal grill/Vinnies (my usual lazy dinner haunts).

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I know this thread is a bit knackered but I had my first Hanley's Cornish pasty today. The other half suggested we pop in as they had some deal on that Trinity students get pasty's for 2.50.
    We went to the one on Dawson St. It was SWARMING with students and I wasn't sure we'd even get one but as I waited outside, the guy just took out a fresh tray of Steak and Gravy ones! :D
    The missus got a Chicken one as they were all out of the Chicken Tikka.
    I saw alot of people on this thread were giving out about the amount of filling in the pasty's and although I will admit there could have been more visible chunks of meat, I did see alot of strands of steak that looks like it kind of dissolved into the gravy.

Despite being molten hot, they were gorgeous.
    I will definitely be back again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Lornen wrote: »
    I know this thread is a bit knackered but I had my first Hanley's Cornish pasty today. The other half suggested we pop in as they had some deal on that Trinity students get pasty's for 2.50.
    We went to the one on Dawson St. It was SWARMING with students and I wasn't sure we'd even get one but as I waited outside, the guy just took out a fresh tray of Steak and Gravy ones! :D
    The missus got a Chicken one as they were all out of the Chicken Tikka.
    I saw alot of people on this thread were giving out about the amount of filling in the pasty's and although I will admit there could have been more visible chunks of meat, I did see alot of strands of steak that looks like it kind of dissolved into the gravy.

Despite being molten hot, they were gorgeous.
    I will definitely be back again :)

Hi there, welcome to the Dublin Galway forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi there, welcome to the Dublin Galway forum :pac:

I'm sorry I know it's a Galway forum but I couldn't see them letting me re-open "Pastygate" in the Dublin or Food forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Lornen wrote: »
    the guy just took out a fresh tray of Steak and Gravy ones! ....molten hot......gorgeous.

McuVq.png

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Anyone spot the 2 for 1 coupons in the galway advertiser the past 3weeks?
    They're expiring this Saturday. €2.50 a pastie..can't beat that for value.
    Steak&blue cheese best so far. The one with pecans...horrible

I have a voucher but not used it yet. Better hurry. I saw a sign on the window yesterday offering samples.
    They should have done all that stuff at the start instead of being greedy and trying to fool Boardsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Uh Oh, Hanley's Cornish Pasties might have to change their product to Irish Pasties!

"Cornish pasty makers were celebrating today after the snack was granted protected status which means they can only be made in Cornwall using a strict traditional recipe."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359511/No-half-baked-imitations-Cornish-pasties-Cornwall-join-EU-protected-list.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Hanley's are made in Cornwall. I think thats one of their big selling points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Really? Didn't know that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Even though I know how to pronounce the word I still read it Pastries every single time.

Must use my voucher on Friday when I'm in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

foto joe wrote: »
    Uh Oh, Hanley's Cornish Pasties might have to change their product to Irish Pasties!

"Cornish pasty makers were celebrating today after the snack was granted protected status which means they can only be made in Cornwall using a strict traditional recipe."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359511/No-half-baked-imitations-Cornish-pasties-Cornwall-join-EU-protected-list.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
    Why do I get the feeling that this story confused the hell out of a lot of people in the Mail? Those evil Brussels Bureaucrats defending the status of a British treasure. It's like telling them that paedophiles are the natural prey of asylum seekers.

Best to stop thinking and roll out another "straight banana" story.

yekahS wrote: »
    Hanley's are made in Cornwall. I think thats one of their big selling points.

Yup. They get 'em shipped in frozen from Cornwall.

Also, ate my way through the entire menu. I can die happy now.

Anyone know if they are open Sundays? Didnt get to use my voucher yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭combat5

sorry they are not open on a sunday

we are open monday to saturday and we have a the turkey and cranberry pasty back

so come on down and enjoy the best of cornwall

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks for responding combat but chill on the shill there buddy, ok?

Advertisement