Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

AdMMM wrote: »
    Saw it on Politics.ie, would assume it was posted up by someone who was involved with the poll as the newspaper hasn't gone to print yet ( http://www.politics.ie/waterford/150213-munster-express-opinion-poll-result-31-01-11-a.html ) .

I think the outcome of this election will depend on where the surpluses of the elected FG members will be distributed to and that will be entirely random!

Read elsewhere that the Munster Express are not behind poll on Politics.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

As I outlined in my subsequent posts :)

Odds to be elected at Paddy Powers

J Deasey 1/16
    P Coffey 1/10
    B Kenneally 2/9
    S Ryan 4/9
    J Halligan 6/4
    C Conway 6/4
    D Cullinane 7/4
    J Conway 20/1
    J Tobin 33/1
    B Nutty??? 33/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Odds to be elected at Paddy Powers

J Deasey 1/16
    P Coffey 1/10
    B Kenneally 2/9
    S Ryan 4/9
    J Halligan 6/4
    C Conway 6/4
    D Cullinane 7/4
    J Conway 20/1
    J Tobin 33/1
    B Nutty??? 33/1
    i got odds last week.
    Deasey 1/16 no change
    Coffey 1/10 no change
    Kenneally 1/7 drifting
    Ryan 2/5 shortening
    Halligan 9/4 shortening
    C Conway 6/4 no change
    Cullinane 7/4 no change
    Conway 14/1 drifting
    Tobin 25/1 drifting
    nutty 33/1 no change
    no price yet on the green candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

How bad is it when a shattered FF announce a front bench, including three members who aren't even TDs, and Kenneally isn't anywhere to be seen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'd like to see Cullinane get in. He'll fight for Waterford at every opportunity - From WIT, to job-investment. He's a tireless worker, and deserves it as much as anyone.

Cullinane never worked in his life. I dare you to tell me anyplace he was ever on the workforce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Godsentme wrote: »
    Cullinane never worked in his life. I dare you to tell me anyplace he was ever on the workforce.

Wasn't he spare parts manager or whatever that is over in Auto Boland iirc.

I wouldn't give him my vote anyway (well seen as I'm leaving again for 6 months to Haiti in two weeks I cannot vote)

I think that the 4 elected will be 2 FG, 1 FF(due to the diehards) and 1 Labour.

If Halligan can get the social vote to turnout in numbers (who historically have a low turnout) he has a chance.

No matter who gets in we can be assured that Waterford's voice will still go unheard as nobody running from the main parties is minister potential (with the exception of Deasy but he's the blacksheep of Fine Gael).

Odats wrote: »

I wouldn't give him my vote anyway (well seen as I'm leaving again for 6 months to Haiti in two weeks I cannot vote)

I think that the 4 elected will be 2 FG, 1 FF(due to the diehards) and 1 Labour.

If Halligan can get the social vote to turnout in numbers (who historically have a low turnout) he has a chance.

No matter who gets in we can be assured that Waterford's voice will still go unheard as nobody running from the main parties is minister potential (with the exception of Deasy but he's the blacksheep of Fine Gael).

Enda is too much of a ____________ to see the value of having someone like Deasey in the front benchs. He is one of very few TD's that will talk to everyone and not just those that he knows will vote for them. When it comes to getting something done he seems to be willing to put party allegiences to one side.

wfman wrote: »
    i got odds last week.
    Deasey 1/16 no change
    Coffey 1/10 no change
    Kenneally 1/7 drifting
    Ryan 2/5 shortening
    Halligan 9/4 shortening
    C Conway 6/4 no change
    Cullinane 7/4 no change
    Conway 14/1 drifting
    Tobin 25/1 drifting
    nutty 33/1 no change
    no price yet on the green candidate.

Who is the Nutty fellow. I thought he might be the green canditate but obviously must not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Correct you are Stephen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Yeah he worked in the parts department,but he wasn't the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I was at the launch of David Cullinane's campaign in the Granville tonight. He spoke very well, outlined his, and Sinn Féin's, policies very clearly and generally put across his drive to do good work for Wateford locally, and also the country at a national level.

He'll be getting my vote because I would like to see a fundamental shift in the policies of those in government. To me FF, FG and Lab have mostly promised more of the same and SF are the only viable alternative. On a personal level I also honestly believe Cullinane's in politics for the right reasons, i.e to represent the people and try to make a difference. I'm sick to death of TD's who are out for themselves, promisiing everything at the doorstep and then doing the complete opposite when elected, claiming expense after expense while doing so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What's he done on the council? His vote was cut in half at last locals and wasn't he rejected before?

Honest questions. Joe Conway is a very good councillor, hard worker here in Tramore. Shouldn't he deserve it more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Coldplat

Whats anyones thoughts on John Halligans chances? I reckon he could pick up some of O'Sheas vote and some any Finna Fail sentiment. Could be in with a shout of a seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Who is the Nutty fellow. I thought he might be the green canditate but obviously must not be.
    I had to look him up. He's a school teacher running for a new movement. It will be "NUTTY, Ben" on the ballot paper, so he may get a few sympathetic preferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was at the launch of David Cullinane's campaign in the Granville tonight. He spoke very well, outlined his, and Sinn Féin's, policies very clearly and generally put across his drive to do good work for Wateford locally, and also the country at a national level.

He'll be getting my vote because I would like to see a fundamental shift in the policies of those in government. To me FF, FG and Lab have mostly promised more of the same and SF are the only viable alternative. On a personal level I also honestly believe Cullinane's in politics for the right reasons, i.e to represent the people and try to make a difference. I'm sick to death of TD's who are out for themselves, promisiing everything at the doorstep and then doing the complete opposite when elected, claiming expense after expense while doing so.

I must say I'm kinda leaning this way myself. I wish I'd known that was on I def would have poped in. I have met him a few times as he has family that would be my neighbours and he struck ne as someone who genuinely cares like you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

David will be getting my vote too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

deise4life wrote: »
    Kenneally is getting my vote. People are very quick to forget what he has done for Waterford City and County. These days if you do something for someone it's oh thanks but eh could you also do this for me? People are just never happy these days!! We all love to b*tch and moan about something or another.
    Forget that he's FF (cuz I'm as pissed about FF as the next person) - he's Brendan Kenneally - Waterford through and through, and has the best intentions for every part of Waterford. Not like other candidates who only focus on the areas they're strong in.

Can you please tell me what he has done for Waterford since elected despite being from a Waterford political dynasty?

He'll get re elected because of ignorant/die hard FF's like you. It's time for Waterford to stand up and not preserve the status quo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

This is the Green Party candidate for Waterford:
    http://www.vote.greenparty.ie/waterford/jody-power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

This is the Green Party candidate for Waterford:
    http://www.vote.greenparty.ie/waterford/jody-power
    I know Jody and he's a good guy but because he's a Green Party candidate he'll not get my vote.

@deise4life: I like the Kenneally joke :D you were joking weren't you? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

They are the ultimate protest party! However, when you scrutinize their polices - they don't work! Therefore, they are unable to make a difference.

Voting for someone because they are different to the others is nearly as bad as voting for someone because your father did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

People are very quick to forget what he has done for Waterford City and County.

I havent forgotten what he has done.. I never knew in the first place.

Care to enlighten us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Kenneally is getting my vote. People are very quick to forget what he has done for Waterford City and County. These days if you do something for someone it's oh thanks but eh could you also do this for me? People are just never happy these days!! We all love to b*tch and moan about something or another.
    Forget that he's FF (cuz I'm as pissed about FF as the next person) - he's Brendan Kenneally - Waterford through and through, and has the best intentions for every part of Waterford. Not like other candidates who only focus on the areas they're strong in.

The only thing that man has done for waterford is refuse to allow it have full representation in the Dáil. He's a traitor to democracy and his party is guilty of economic treason in my eyes. I will personally be voting to ensure that he doesn't get a single transfer from me, and I encourage everyone else to the same.

Actually, wouldnt it be a good idea for people posting here to indicate whether they're actually a member of a party or involved with a particular party?

Im not a member of any particular party but the political compass website has me slightly left of centre, in Green Party territory.. but it'd really stick in my throat to vote for them given how long they supported FF.

Am I right in saying Mr. Kenneally voted to stop us voting in a by-election?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 deise4life

Please remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and everyone has their own reasons for or against, so please respect that :D

Please remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and everyone has their own reasons for or against, so please respect that :D

Oh absolutely! I agree.
    deise4life wrote:

Did Mr. Kenneally vote in favour of blocking the Waterford by-election?, and can you list some of his achievements in the Dáil please? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I disagree with what you have to say but will fight to the death in order for you to have the freedom to say it. :)

As for parties - I'm a part of none but I'm extremely socially liberal and centre right economically. Think even more socially liberal than labour and about as economically conservative as Fine Gael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 deise4life

He did great work for my family and for that reason I'm forever greatful, like I said we all have our own reasons :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

ff denied the people of Waterford a by election to which they were entitled and anybody who votes for them in this constituency frankly must be brain dead to be honest , bit harsh maybe .?? Nah I don't think so !!!

• Advertisement

decies wrote: »
    ff denied the people of Waterford a by election to which they were entitled and anybody who votes for them in this constituency frankly must be brain dead to be honest , bit harsh maybe .?? Nah I don't think so !!!

Do we need four people to go to Dublin from Waterford. I for one dont think we do, and from what i hear Enda Kenny does not either. I have not heard it myself but did i hear some place maybe today that he said that the number of TD's we have in Ireland should be cut. I know he wants to amount of senators cut or got rid off all together. If he is in favour of cutting TD Numbers i for one would vote for it in a referendum.

Advertisement