Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'm going to sick my neck out and say that Brendan Kenneally will top the poll in Waterford. And this is coming from a man who despises him.

No chance - third or fourth seat. It will be between Labour and FF for the last two seats id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 deise4life

Yeh I agree, 2FG, 1FF & 1LAB (or else Halligan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Is there any way of getting a list of votes and how Kenneally voted?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Trotter wrote: »

Not with ease I don't think, bit of work involved in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

I was at the launch of David Cullinane's campaign in the Granville tonight. He spoke very well, outlined his, and Sinn Féin's, policies very clearly and generally put across his drive to do good work for Wateford locally, and also the country at a national level.

He'll be getting my vote because I would like to see a fundamental shift in the policies of those in government. To me FF, FG and Lab have mostly promised more of the same and SF are the only viable alternative. On a personal level I also honestly believe Cullinane's in politics for the right reasons, i.e to represent the people and try to make a difference. I'm sick to death of TD's who are out for themselves, promisiing everything at the doorstep and then doing the complete opposite when elected, claiming expense after expense while doing so.

isnt that exactly what cullinane did??? He promised to oppose bin charges and then when he was elected he voted to impose a waiver on the poorest in society!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If FG split their vote, then there's every possibility that Kenneally will top the poll, especially if Micheal Martin manages to increase party support by a few percent. Oh and just because I say he might top the poll, doesn't mean he'll be elected to the first seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MagicMcGrath

If FG split their vote, then there's every possibility that Kenneally will top the poll, especially if Micheal Martin manages to increase party support by a few percent. Oh and just because I say he might top the poll, doesn't mean he'll be elected to the first seat.

Can't see him topping the poll. He'll have a chance at 3rd or 4th seat. Too much anti-sentiment towards FF for him to poll around 10,000 votes or whatever will top the poll.

You forget that FF polled 23,025 first preference votes in the 2007 election which was 46% of the total number of votes. Obviously they will poll nowhere near that this time around but because they are running a one candidate strategy, it can be presumed that any core FF supporter will be voting for Kenneally. Fine Gael on the other hand are running a two candidate ticket and with with Coffey being the more active in the City and Deasy being more well-known in the County, there's a possibility that should the stars align for FF and the two FG candidates split their vote, Kenneally will top the poll.

Obviously, had the FG strategy involved a primary and a secondary candidate, I wouldn't tip Kenneally to come in anyway close to topping the poll. However, as far as I can see, no FG candidate seems to be getting preference and a lot of media work has been done to raise Coffey's profile to the same level of that as Deasy.

I know my outlook has been flip-flopping a lot - I mean my initial reaction on the run up to this election campaign was one of delight as I had the thought of Kenneally inevitably losing his seat - but now it seems that the FF ship has been stabilised and the devoted FF voters will see to it that Kenneally is elected!

As has been pointed out, he won't be attracting many second preference votes and will be very transfer-averse but he'll get in regardless if the FF supports come out in their masses!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Stupid bloody question. How anyone votes is a private matter between them and the ballot box unless they tell anyone how they did cast their vote.

If we were to go on the last three or four general elections, we could easily come to the conclusion that in the region of three million people voted Fianna Fail. Everywhere you go you hear people say people say they will never vote Fianna Fail again. Most of the ones you hear it from are probabally the approx 30% or more that did not vote last time round if ever.

Sully wrote: »
    Not with ease I don't think, bit of work involved in it.

How much work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Dan133269 wrote: »
    What I meant was they will not want to negotiate with SF, not that they literally will refuse to do so if in power.

That's not what you said though, is it? You said "no one in Europe will negotiaite will SF", implying that, if elected, people in Europe will literally refuse to do so.
    Dan133269 wrote: »
    That's purely speculative. You are talking about people negotiating a deal where the final goal of such a deal is to simply stop murdering people. And you conclude from this that these people must be master tacticians, much more so than the politicians who have previously served as Ministers in governments, and actually have had dealings with European partners.

So you are saying you would rather have Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness going to Brussels to meet Jose Manuel Barosso et al rather than Enda Kenny and Eamon Gilmore? And in any event, how are SF "better placed" to handle negotiations about Ireland when their leader Gerry Adams doesn't know the first thing about Irish domestic wage rates and social welfare payments? watch the youtube clip I posted.

edit: here it is, how do I emb a video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UoGl78MzWY

I'm talking purely from a point of view of someone being a strong negotiator. A strong and experienced negotiator will perform well under any circumstances. Look at something like The Apprentice where people like Alan Sugar and Donald Trump get their candidates to negotiate little things - could be who gets to choose something first, could be the price of a carton of milk. They're not hiring those people to negotiate these things for them, they're hiring them to negotiate multi million dollar deals but they're confident that, once the person has the skills in one scenario, they'll translate to a different scenario. They are correct.

So the fact that Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness haven't negotiated economic deals before is irrelevant. They have the skills and experience. So, yes, I'd have them negotiating with Jose Manuel Barosso et al ahead of Kenny and Gilmore a thousand times over. What experience do thay have sure? They've not been in positions at anything like this level before.

You'd actually have more of a point if you were comparing them with Fianna Fáilers who've been negotiating in Europe for 15 years. But obviously then, I'd just say that they made a dog's dinner of the EU/IMF negotiations recently so the point would be invalid.

@Admmm: I can see it happening too. An increase of a couple of percent in the next three weeks and, with FG's vote split pretty much down the middle, he could top the poll, with the two FG candidates a very close second and third. If that doesn't happen, Kenneally will be clear from the other candidates in third position, I reckon. Let's hope not but it could happen!

@Trotter: Surely Kenneally's votes were the exact same as every other Fianna Fáiler, otherwise he would have lost the whip. So he's supported every single motion FF have been in favour of.

This should help you: http://www.kildarestreet.com/search/?s=brendan+kenneally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks AdMMM.. An interesting link here showing how FF, aided by our representative in the Dáil, decided on our behalf, that we had enough TDs in 3.. we didnt need 4.

I'll be using that on the doorstep should it be darkened.

By Election Discussion

The one that really sticks out for me is that he has spoken 9 times in the Dail over the past year. So with the large-scale redundancies in companies like TEVA, the implosion of Waterford Crystal, the Search and Rescue helicopter crisis, as well as the issue of Waterford's bye-election, I find it hard to believe that the sole representative (since Martin Cullen stood down) of the Parliamentary Party for Waterford City and County only felt the need to speak 9 times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Brendan Kenneally (Waterford, Fianna Fail) Link to this

"It is more important that we get on with our work here. I, along with my colleagues in Waterford, Deputies Deasy and O’Shea, are capable of representing the views and wishes of the people of Waterford in the House and will continue to do that. Nobody is coming into my clinics in Waterford to ask me when we will have a by-election and saying that we should have one. Their focus is on jobs; that is what our focus should be and we should concentrate on that."

So that is what Mr Kenneally said in the Dail about the By-election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

If Kenneally tops the poll then someone should just nuke this county as it would be the disgrace of the nation.

If Kenneally tops the poll then someone should just nuke this county as it would be the disgrace of the nation.

I hostly dont know the answer to this but could some of the talking be done in different committees and not just in the house, or maybe in one to one meetings with relavent ministers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MagicMcGrath

He won't top the poll. I know that the FF through and through will vote for him, but then other votes will come from everybody he has done something for and helped in the past. I would envisage that being a substantial number of people seeing as he has been in Leinster House since '89. In '07 when FF got over 47% of 1st preferences, the vast majority of die hard FF's would have given 1st preference to Martin Cullen being Minister, so the fact that Kenneally got 5,624 demonstrates he must have helped a number of constituents.

What ye make of Pat Rabbittes sexist comments? Along with Joan Burton hounding Joe Higgins recently Labour not getting off to a great start in the public light starting with the "hierarchy" within the party....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Deisemum you are very cynical. I am very interested to know what Kenneally did to your family?? I am all for proper debate on whether candidates should get elected or not, but I really think a number of people on this thread are adding to the demise of their characters with certain comments they're making like "not pissing on TD's if they're on fire". Whatever happened to straight talking debates on policies? I'd like to get back to as much if others agree.

You may call me cynical but I'm very angry with him after my family and neighbours lives were made hell after he did a favour for someone. There were nights we were afraid to go to sleep in case our home would be attacked.

I'm self-employed and work from home and what he did nearly put me out of business plus my husband is a self-employed carpenter and we were nearly left with no income and as we're self-employed we wouldn't get benefits.

The way he treated my neighbours and myself like sh1t and the blatant lies he told us and what he personally did to an elderly neighbour was disgraceful.

As far as I'm concerned he brought Moyross to Viewmount and I for one am very grateful to the armed detectives in Ballybricken who forced the matter and brought it to a conclusion.

• Advertisement

Hoping to get Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and Labour involved in a three-way debate in WIT for next Tuesday. Iv asked the candidates today, no reply as of yet.

The debate would be open to the public.

Hoping to get Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and Labour involved in a three-way debate in WIT for next Tuesday. Iv asked the candidates today, no reply as of yet.

The debate would be open to the public.

I thought your party leader found three-way debates exclusionary. :confused:

Surely, as there are six candidates (realistically) fighting for the four seats, it should be a five-way debate. Either Coffey or Deasy representing FG, either Ryan or Conway representing Labour, Kenneally for FF, Halligan as Independent and Cullinane for SF. If you're going to have a debate, at least allow people hear from every viable candidate.

That was my original intention, and would be what I prefer but time constraints don't make that possible. I'm still trying to find another way of getting smaller candidates debating another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

That was my original intention, and would be what I prefer but time constraints don't make that possible. I'm still trying to find another way of getting smaller candidates debating another day.
    That reads like a Micheál Martin quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Prehaps smaller parties might have come across better ;)

old gregg wrote: »
    That reads like a Micheál Martin quote.

It does indeed. The whole idea that there are "big" and "small" candidates is the problem. How can the time constraints be so tight that you can't fit two more people in? All it would mean is a couple of questions less per candidate.

Hopefully there will be a full debate or something similar for the people of Waterford sometime in the next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

I'm a candidate. I'd be delighted to attend. You can find my policies at www.justincollery.com. You can email me at justin.collery@wi-pipe.com

Cheers,
    JC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

jcollery wrote: »
    I'm a candidate. I'd be delighted to attend. You can find my policies at www.justincollery.com. You can email me at justin.collery@wi-pipe.com

Cheers,
    JC
    cool, best of luck with your campaign mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brendan Kenneally does as little as possible for as much as possible - €83,471 in 2009 and €93,880 in 2008 expences!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 deise4life

mike65 wrote: »
    Brendan Kenneally does as little as possible for as much as possible - €83,471 in 2009 and €93,880 in 2008 expences!

Interesting he doesn't appear here though and a certain John Deasy does....

From 2005 to 2008, €97,637,195.65 was paid out to TDs in salaries and expenses.
    The top 30 for the period are
    Rory O’Hanlon - € 789,543.77
    Michael Moynihan - € 726,873.65
    Bernard Allen - € 725,636.56
    Noel O’Flynn - € 723,782.51
    Sean Fleming - € 722,561.57
    Johnny Brady - € 720,676.88
    Jackie Healy-Rae - € 719,350.52
    Dan Neville - € 712,660.55
    Brendan Howlin - € 709,654.03
    John Cregan - € 704,570.69
    Padraic McCormack - € 699,120.51