Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nkay1985 wrote: »
    It does indeed. The whole idea that there are "big" and "small" candidates is the problem. How can the time constraints be so tight that you can't fit two more people in? All it would mean is a couple of questions less per candidate.

Hopefully there will be a full debate or something similar for the people of Waterford sometime in the next couple of weeks.

The structure should be completed tonight, but we aim to give each candidate a decent amount of time to speak plus room for the floor to discuss. We have to be out at 9am sharp and the earliest we can start is 7pm. Our original plan was always a five way debate (Admmm can back me up on this) but it didn't seem possible - also some candidates may find it short notice. Its not 100% set in stone and we are still trying to put finishing touches that may allow extra candidates involved.

This all has to be approved by WIT and those involved in the society who are involved in the planning, who have the final say. We want a good, fair debate that will be a success on the night. Its a first for WIT or any society on campus, we don't have the power others do - so bare with us. Should be all sorted tomorrow all going to plan.

There are a fair few Independents - how on earth we are expected to fit those in and the remaining parties is beyond me.

Any suggestions/ideas - feel free to PM me. I know some here are very much involved in various campaigns so would be good to get ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

a semi-serious suggestion might be to go with the flow of the anger most folks have towards FF and not invite them. Be part of a general consensus that says FF should be consigned to history. They will hopefully walk away from this election as a minority party anyway (fingers crossed). That leaves extra time for SF or just as relevant to Waterford, John Halligan who at least has worked for our community even if he's mayhap wavered from time to time as do all of us I suppose.

I do still reckon that a debate that does not include all candidates is just perpetuating the old-skool approach to Irish politics. Along the way, I've honestly no connection with any party and the only candidates I've ever even met are Kenneally and Power even if it appears I'm flying the flag for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

Sully wrote: »
    The structure should be completed tonight, but we aim to give each candidate a decent amount of time to speak plus room for the floor to discuss. We have to be out at 9am sharp and the earliest we can start is 7pm. Our original plan was always a five way debate (Admmm can back me up on this) but it didn't seem possible - also some candidates may find it short notice. Its not 100% set in stone and we are still trying to put finishing touches that may allow extra candidates involved.

This all has to be approved by WIT and those involved in the society who are involved in the planning, who have the final say. We want a good, fair debate that will be a success on the night. Its a first for WIT or any society on campus, we don't have the power others do - so bare with us. Should be all sorted tomorrow all going to plan.

There are a fair few Independents - how on earth we are expected to fit those in and the remaining parties is beyond me.

Any suggestions/ideas - feel free to PM me. I know some here are very much involved in various campaigns so would be good to get ideas.

In all fairness Sully how can it be a `good, fair debate` if you are not going to invite all the main candidates/parties? Are you assuming they are too busy to attend or could you take 20 seconds to e-mail all the candidates and at least give the the option to attend?

To be honest it will be a complete waste of time and counter productive if you deny any candidates the opportunity to address such an event.

Balance is what the electorate crave and unfortunately balance will not be achieved in a debate between two right wing parties and another party that is viewed by many as closer to the right than its origins on the left.

Looking at it realistically, FG i believe will get two seats in this constituency with the remaining two between FF, LAB, SF & Ind (Halligan). If you were to propose a debate between 1FG, 1LAB, 1FF, 1SF, 1 IND & possibly 1WP/G i think it would represent balance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just finished a meeting and we have the plan finalised. Just need to run it by one more person and ensure WIT have no objections but will be able to extend it to have Sinn Fein and one Independent, probably the most high profile which is Halligan.

Can't do any better, but all additional candidates can attend and ask questions.

Sound good? The next most high profile candidate would be John, the green candidate or other independents are not as high profile if I am not mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Hoping to get Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and Labour involved in a three-way debate in WIT for next Tuesday. Iv asked the candidates today, no reply as of yet.
    If you're going to have a debate, at least allow people hear from every viable candidate.
    Prehaps smaller parties might have come across better ;)
    Hopefully there will be a full debate or something similar for the people of Waterford sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Not saying people shouldn't criticise, but come on, fair play to Sully for getting off his ar$e and organising something meaningful, rather than carping (like me, admittedly) from behind his keyboard.

Nice to see someone with a bit of initiative! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sounds good Sully. Hopefully all can attend as I'd love to see them all put their points forward. The five invited represent the 6 candidates that have a realistic chance at a seat. Obviously we'd all like to see everyone invited but so long as every perspective TD is there, it's as good as we can hope for as the public,.

Is this being organised by the WIT branch of FG? When are you trying for? What kind of format? Moderated by someone independent or what etc? No pressure if all this isn't confirmed yet. Just wondering.

No its run by an apolitical society, just in the process of starting, the WIT Political Society. It takes sometime to get posters, logo, permissions, room bookings etc. and there is only two of us pushing it along until AGM. So its a slow process and this is only week on college schedule we can use.

No political society has any say in how its run.

Once WIT give me the nod, ill post the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The plan is to try and get students more interested in politics. For those who don't know the lay of political land in WIT is that it is dominated by the YFG, who I believe can boast impressive membership but low participation in their activities.

I don't believe that the population in WIT aren't interested in politics but merely that they're just not interested in YFG. Unfortunately, YFG are the only option for people to discuss politics but I know of a few people who have been put off by the kind of (unintentional) aggression in trying to convince people of their policies.

Myself and Sully are therefore behind the new Politics Society in the college. The aim of the society is to try present the subject of politics in a neutral manner and not force the policies of a particular party down peoples throats. Part of our activities will be inviting guest speakers into the college from all sides of the political divide to discuss issues that are relevant to students to try and promote politics and an interest in the subject and organising social events (e.g. a trip to the Dail as an example off the top of my head).

For those that know me personally, you'll know that I'm not affiliated with a party and I'll only be involved so long as I believe the neutrality of the society is intact. I believe that all members (and all students) should be allowed to discuss politics without having to sign up to a particular party without being educated or learning about what the party stands for beforehand.

You might wonder why Sully, who is by all means a staunch FG supporter, would be supporting such a society. Quite simply, the promotion of politics itself and the act of getting people interested in it will ultimately benefit a party like FG (e.g. if we get 100 people to join and participate, FG will ultimately attract a high percentage of these). I have no problem with this, so long as people find their own way without undue influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Would WIT Graduates have access to this society? It sounds excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Would this debate be open to the public? I think I'd give it a look.

Open to everyone and anyone. :)

Just finished a meeting and we have the plan finalised. Just need to run it by one more person and ensure WIT have no objections but will be able to extend it to have Sinn Fein and one Independent, probably the most high profile which is Halligan.

Can't do any better, but all additional candidates can attend and ask questions.

Sound good? The next most high profile candidate would be John, the green candidate or other independents are not as high profile if I am not mistaken.

Good man Sully. Credit where credit is due:)

Open to everyone and anyone. :)

Excellent.. Would love to go to a few of the talks or meetings etc!

Admm is mostly correct, but I have a huge interest in politics full stop and that's why im anxious for it to go well.

Regardless of FG, id like a forum to talk politics and other parties, current affairs etc. and there are no options for that. Yes it may benefit others but so what? YFG shouldn't be only crowd on campus and nobody else bothers to run anything.

So when Admm suggested it, we went for it. It may benefit others but mostly will benefit those who just want to talk politics and not get into partie politics now or in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

I'm not that happy to stand down and let the others at it, but in the cause of balance perhaps 3 mins for any Indy who turns up to make his/ her point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MagicMcGrath

Fair debate needs to be had with all candidates. Disrespectful to those candidates putting in so much time, effort and money towards their campaigns only to be snubbed for participation in a debate about an election that they're very much a part of.

Fair debate needs to be had with all candidates. Disrespectful to those candidates putting in so much time, effort and money towards their campaigns only to be snubbed for participation in a debate about an election that they're very much a part of.

Its not about 'snubbing' them. On a personal note, id love everyone to debate. But it would take to long for one meeting. I suggested a second but there isn't a date that works and I don't think we would have enough people.

Thankfully, it looks like we have all main players.

(For those who PMd me, im using mobile atm and will response when I get access to computer.)

And here I thought you were ignoring me. I'm finding myself without a phone for the next few days while Apple spend their time posting my phone in circles.

AdMMM wrote: »
    And here I thought you were ignoring me. I'm finding myself without a phone for the next few days while Apple spend their time posting my phone in circles.

Ha hardly your a bitch to contact tho and I thought you would be at JS meeting. :P

Ill pm ya when I get home. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

old gregg wrote: »
    Thanks for these. A quick glance through the links seems to indicate a bunch of stuff relating to the same topic from 2005, a DUP member whining back in 2004 but absolutely nothing relating to whether any European government, official body, etc would have concerns about dealing with Sinn Fein today.

You asked for evidence after the year 2000, there it is. The "same topic" was a very serious and savagely shocking murder of man in which numerous SF members were complicit, with none of them giving evidence despite the fact there were dozens of them in the pub where it happened. Those links demonstrate the reactions from politicians in 3 different E.U. Member States at the time, which was only 5 years ago. The E.U. hasn't discussed whether they believe SF and IRA are linked since then because they have, unsurprisingly, much more pressing things to deal with. It would be natural and logical to assume that attitudes haven't changed completely in that space of time.
    That's not what you said though, is it? You said "no one in Europe will negotiaite will SF", implying that, if elected, people in Europe will literally refuse to do so.

Yes that is what I said. I was exaggerating a small bit. In any event, it doesn't make a difference as we are just talking about hypothetical situations. SF are not going to get into government through any avenue, either in this election or in the foreseeable future. So that's not something we'll have to worry about.

I'm talking purely from a point of view of someone being a strong negotiator. A strong and experienced negotiator will perform well under any circumstances. Look at something like The Apprentice where people like Alan Sugar and Donald Trump get their candidates to negotiate little things - could be who gets to choose something first, could be the price of a carton of milk. They're not hiring those people to negotiate these things for them, they're hiring them to negotiate multi million dollar deals but they're confident that, once the person has the skills in one scenario, they'll translate to a different scenario. They are correct.

So the fact that Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness haven't negotiated economic deals before is irrelevant. They have the skills and experience. So, yes, I'd have them negotiating with Jose Manuel Barosso et al ahead of Kenny and Gilmore a thousand times over. What experience do thay have sure? They've not been in positions at anything like this level before.

Well we'll have to agree to disagee. I would go with Gilmore and Kenny anyday.

WIT Political Society Five Way Debate has received the go ahead from WIT. Sinn Fein and John Halligan have been invited. I have some media attendance already confirmed and I will be on Billy McCarthy at 11.15am on Monday to promote the event. :)

EDIT:: Facebook Event
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=107106329366742

Facebook page for society
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/WIT-Political-Society/179814945389748

Appreciate if people could post the event on your Facebook pages so we can get a good attendance. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sorry Sully havn't read the whole thread ,

But who will be compiling the Questions for the Debate ???

Would /could you do something like the soccer forum did last year when one of the lads was interviewing John O Shea , and start a thread for posters to post Questions which ( best ones ,short list ) can be put forward to the candidates .

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Sorry Sully havn't read the whole thread ,

But who will be compiling the Questions for the Debate ???

Would /could you do something like the soccer forum did last year when one of the lads was interviewing John O Shea , and start a thread for posters to post Questions which ( best ones ,short list ) can be put forward to the candidates .

I love this Idea but I don't think Sully is compiling the questions. Most importantly, Can you plug us on the radio? :)

what Time is the Debate Sully? I think it might warrant it's own thread TBH.

Sully I think TV3 are having a debate on Tuesday night too. Hope that doesn't reduce your numbers.

Time
    08 February · 19:00 - 21:00
    Location WIT, Auditorium, Cork Road Campus

This will be one of the very few chances people in Waterford will have of seeing a public debate in the run up to the election. If they want to watch TV3, they're more than welcome to but they can't hear what their local candidates have to say, or put questions to them that they want answered if they're stuck at home watching TV.

Ill have the posters completed early evening and will make a new thread when done :) In the mean time, join our Facebook page and event. :) Please do come along - perfect chance to ask candidates in person, locally, their questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Anyone vote in the Boards General Election yet ?

http://www.boards.ie/vote

Surprised at how well Cullinane is polling .. maybe it's just early doors.

Junior wrote: »
    Anyone vote in the Boards General Election yet ?

http://www.boards.ie/vote

Surprised at how well Cullinane is polling .. maybe it's just early doors.

Ah it's only out of like 30 votes, i'd say wait till the masses start to vote and you'll get a clearer picture. Still though makes for interesting reading.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Stupid bloody question. How anyone votes is a private matter between them and the ballot box unless they tell anyone how they did cast their vote..

Emm.. I asked about how Kenneally voted in the Dáil.. He's my representative so I've every right to know. Stupid indeed...

Advertisement