Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

I think he misunderstood your question . Jeepers sully your leader performing very poorly in this campaign , they should have dumped him when they had the chance , this Vincent brown incident is embarrassing .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

decies wrote: »
    I think he misunderstood your question . Jeepers sully your leader performing very poorly in this campaign , they should have dumped him when they had the chance , this Vincent brown incident is embarrassing .

Don't agree with you - Kenny playing a blinder. Everybody said Kenny couldn't get us in the 30s in the poll, that under Kenny FG would loose the election etc. and now it looks like they will have a very comfortable lead in the coalition, or a possible majority.

Personally, I think what VB said about Kenny wasn't an average comment. It was very offensive and way over the line. I don't blame him for refusing his invitation, what was said was very inappropriate and I don't think I could go to a debate with VB hosting if I was slated constantly by VB and a very strong and hurtful comment like that was then made about me.

We expect some insults and bashing in Politics, but VB went way over the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MagicMcGrath

Sully wrote: »
    Everybody said Kenny couldn't get us in the 30s in the poll, that under Kenny FG would loose the election etc. and now it looks like they will have a very comfortable lead in the coalition, or a possible majority.

Well If Enda Kenny didn't win enough seats to lead a coalition after FF handed them the election maybe he should heed Vincent's suggestion....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Well If Enda Kenny didn't win enough seats to lead a coalition after FF handed them the election maybe he should heed Vincent's suggestion....

They all should heed his suggestion.

Bloody politics,who cares!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yeah, generally the type of response you get now that the original one cant be used.

Where is the attacking of Labour who have a popular leader, but slipping party support? Labour had the most popular leaders in the country and still everything they said and done didn't convince the public and Fine Gael is rising in support - their main opposition.

Labour, under Gilmore, are suffering with Sinn Fein creeping up beside them and Fianna Fail also rising. But Labour are unable to catch onto the wind and run away with the election with the dislike for Fianna Fail.

Yet Kenny, who is disliked by the public so much, can?

Mind boggles!

• Advertisement

But Labour are unable to catch onto the wind and run away with the election with the dislike for Fianna Fail.

FG are by no means running away with the election based on the polls. They have been saying from the start that they'll be forming a coalition with LAB. So I wouldn't be saying Enda Kenny who is disliked by the public is able to "catch onto the wind and run away with the election".

There hasn't even been a vote cast yet either.....

They all should heed his suggestion.

Bloody politics,who cares!!!

Well then in that case I suggest you don't post in this thread if you don't care about politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Yeah, generally the type of response you get now that the original one cant be used.

Where is the attacking of Labour who have a popular leader, but slipping party support? Labour had the most popular leaders in the country and still everything they said and done didn't convince the public and Fine Gael is rising in support - their main opposition.

Labour, under Gilmore, are suffering with Sinn Fein creeping up beside them and Fianna Fail also rising. But Labour are unable to catch onto the wind and run away with the election with the dislike for Fianna Fail.

Mind boggles!

But, surely its obvious? Most people would vote FG except that they think Enda Kenny is (at best) an embarrassment? If Kenny stepped down, FG would win the election by a landslide.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Well then in that case I suggest you don't post in this thread if you don't care about politics.

Ok boss,ill stay away so :)

FG are by no means running away with the election based on the polls. They have been saying from the start that they'll be forming a coalition with LAB. So I wouldn't be saying Enda Kenny who is disliked by the public is able to "catch onto the wind and run away with the election".

There hasn't even been a vote cast yet either.....

Both parties are saying they will work together, if need be. But both parties are canvassing and working for a majority themselves. Each respective party, including the others FF/SF etc. have stated who they will and wont get into bed with.

Only poll that counts is the last and it may be a complete opposite swing but all the talk and giving out was based on the polls so thats what I am responding to. :)
    But, surely its obvious? Most people would vote FG except that they think Enda Kenny is (at best) an embarrassment? If Kenny stepped down, FG would win the election by a landslide.........

Very much doubt it would be a "landslide" victory. Most people are clearly stating they are voting FG, note the continually rise in support, regardless of Kenny. There is a small catchment that may swing without Kenny but most people understand its not personality politics. Its who can lead the country and put the best offer to the people.

Look at Bertie - loved by the people, high in the polls. Look what he has done to Ireland now? Look at his recent comments about his only regret was not getting the Bertie Bowl. Look at the Fianna Fail party and what they have done to this country.

Look at Gilmore - loved in the polls but his party are struggling.

Its impossible to make such a call when you look at the bigger picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Don't agree with you - Kenny playing a blinder. Everybody said Kenny couldn't get us in the 30s in the poll, that under Kenny FG would loose the election etc. and now it looks like they will have a very comfortable lead in the coalition, or a possible majority.

Personally, I think what VB said about Kenny wasn't an average comment. It was very offensive and way over the line. I don't blame him for refusing his invitation, what was said was very inappropriate and I don't think I could go to a debate with VB hosting if I was slated constantly by VB and a very strong and hurtful comment like that was then made about me.

We expect some insults and bashing in Politics, but VB went way over the line.

As a Labour voter I can only thank my lucky stars that Enda survived the last heave & continues in his role as one of Labour's greatest assets , the proof of Enda's unpopularity is surely reflectedby the fact that although FG tops the polls Enda's personally polls consistently poorly as party leader.

The majority of people are not going to be convinced that he is ducking the TV3 debate simply because of a spat with Vincent B but rather that he lacks the skills to debate head to head with formidable debaters such as Martin and more particularly Gilmore - it is now embedded in the nation's conciousness that the FG handlers are keeping Enda under wraps & limiting him to soundbites.

Even the most biased must surely concede that FG are not going to be able to form a majority Government based on the most recent polls , even the massively subscribed to poll on the politics forum reflects this & Paddy Power continues to favour a FG/Labour coalition at 1 to 12 & a FG majority Government at 18 to 1.

I do accept that anything can happen in Politics however we should also be realistic.

deise blue wrote: »
    As a Labour voter I can only thank my lucky stars that Enda survived the last heave & continues in his role as one of Labour's greatest assets , the proof of Enda's unpopularity is surely reflectedby the fact that although FG tops the polls Enda's personally polls consistently poorly as party leader.

Rather odd considering Labour are dropping in support consistently poll after poll.. if Kenny is your greatest asset - how is it that you cant persuade the people to vote Labour instead of Fine Gael?
    Even the most biased must surely concede that FG are not going to be able to form a majority Government based on the most recent polls , even the massively subscribed to poll on the politics forum reflects this & Paddy Power continues to favour a FG/Labour coalition at 1 to 12 & a FG majority Government at 18 to 1.

I do accept that anything can happen in Politics however we should also be realistic.

Anything can happen. Some polls said it was possible, others said it wasn't. Nobody knows until election day but I firmly believe Fine Gael will have a clear majority in any coalition and wont need much support to hold them up.

Full majority? Its been a very long time in this country, but there is a real possibility. I don't think Kenny is damaging the party, people are looking beyond what he does or doesn't do and seeing what the party stands for and the front bench. That is all that matters really.

it is now embedded in the nation's conciousness that the FG handlers are keeping Enda under wraps & limiting him to soundbites.

Agreed.

Rather odd considering Labour are dropping in support consistently poll after poll.. if Kenny is your greatest asset - how is it that you cant persuade the people to vote Labour instead of Fine Gael?

Anything can happen. Some polls said it was possible, others said it wasn't. Nobody knows until election day but I firmly believe Fine Gael will have a clear majority in any coalition and wont need much support to hold them up.

Full majority? Its been a very long time in this country, but there is a real possibility. I don't think Kenny is damaging the party, people are looking beyond what he does or doesn't do and seeing what the party stands for and the front bench. That is all that matters really.

You are of course correct in that the continuing rise of the other left parties has hurt Labours popularity in the polls , the last Indo poll gives FG 30% ( a dip of 4% in a matter of days ) & Labour 24 % which would indicate that the greatest probability is a FG/Labour coalition with Labour garnering sufficient seats to majorly influence future Government policy& legislation . I am impressed that FG share many policies with Labour such as reversing the minimum wage cut & commiting to enshrining collective bargaining rights in Irish Law - I think both parties have more in common that perceived

Who knows if Enda continues to avoid TV debates we may see a further increase in Labour's popularity - I'm particularly encouraged by Labour's showing in the Board's pre election poll.

Even in the microcosm of this particular thread there is definitely a feeling that Enda is a liability.

I further note that Paddy Power has an FG/FF coalition at 16/1 ( shorter odds that a FG majority Government ).

Who knows if Enda continues to avoid TV debates we may see a further increase in Labour's popularity

If that's to be the case you better hope your finance spokesperson tones down the arrogance she showed to Joe Higgins recently on Vincent Browne. Cracks are beginning to appear in a few places for both parties who are intent on leading the next government. Far from encouraging for the Irish electorate.

If that's to be the case you better hope your finance spokesperson tones down the arrogance she showed to Joe Higgins recently on Vincent Browne. Cracks are beginning to appear in a few places for both parties who are intent on leading the next government. Far from encouraging for the Irish electorate.

Yep , it was'nt a great performance was it ?

She has indeed toned it down in recent interviews & has at least shown that she is willing to go on TV to be quizzed - no fear of Vincent there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

FG Councillor resigns in waterford to run as an Indo!!
    FG County Cllr Tom Higgins annunced his resignation from the party today, in order to run as an Independent!! The Cllr, who is regarded as a close friend and ally of FG candidate, Sen Paudie Coffey, is set to run as an Independent in the forthcoming general election!!

p.s. Paudie wont be happy, even though Higgins hasnt a hope in hell!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

FG County Cllr Tom Higgins annunced his resignation from the party today, in order to run as an Independent!! The Cllr, who is regarded as a close friend and ally of FG candidate, Sen Paudie Coffey, is set to run as an Independent in the forthcoming general election!!

Like you said, he hasnt a hope so all his vote will transfer to Paudie. I wouldnt really put much pass on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Looking at the boards.ie/vote 'virtual election', Cullinane is topping the poll. I honestly dont see that even nearly happening on the 25th.

I may be completely wrong but wasn't Cullinane's vote in the locals cut in half?

You are of course correct in that the continuing rise of the other left parties has hurt Labours popularity in the polls , the last Indo poll gives FG 30% ( a dip of 4% in a matter of days ) & Labour 24 % which would indicate that the greatest probability is a FG/Labour coalition with Labour garnering sufficient seats to majorly influence future Government policy& legislation . I am impressed that FG share many policies with Labour such as reversing the minimum wage cut & commiting to enshrining collective bargaining rights in Irish Law - I think both parties have more in common that perceived

Depends what poll you like at - they all varied with one having FG at 37%. Most were taken around the same time. I don't think the rise in the left is whats effecting Labour, from canvassing at the door recently people just feel that they have become to realise that there are holes in Labours weak policies, and that people feel their cosy relationship with Unions isn't help either.

I guess Burton and Rabbitte haven't helped recently, and the constant need for Gilmore to whine and go on and on about the leaders debate which isn't exactly the most pressing of issues.
    Who knows if Enda continues to avoid TV debates we may see a further increase in Labour's popularity - I'm particularly encouraged by Labour's showing in the Board's pre election poll.

Doubtful, Kenny has never been that popular (though he climbed up in recent polls) and Labour are still doing poorly.

Even in the microcosm of this particular thread there is definitely a feeling that Enda is a liability.

I further note that Paddy Power has an FG/FF coalition at 16/1 ( shorter odds that a FG majority Government ).

Wont happen. More chance of Labour doing a deal with FF or SF tbh. Gilmore & Co were never very firm on that side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Trotter wrote: »
    Looking at the boards.ie/vote 'virtual election', Cullinane is topping the poll. I honestly dont see that even nearly happening on the 25th.

I may be completely wrong but wasn't Cullinane's vote in the locals cut in half?

Ah yeah there's no way he'll top the poll but he might put in a better showing than some expect, I guess.

His vote decreased dramatically in the locals but Joe Tobin's and Halligan's campaigns aggressively went after him. Some nasty politics went on in that ward in the last locals.

Trotter wrote: »

Your absolutely right, it doesn't give a true reflection of what it will be like in Waterford. My opinion on why he is topping it is because generally all of us on boards.ie are very opinionated, and the majority are so strongly opinionated that they'll argue against most things if not everything, hence why they're voting for SF in the poll. That's not to say some people genuinely are voting for him based on policies or whatever, but for the most part it's a protest vote on boards.

As for his vote, he got 1,109 in '04 and 590 in '09. However, SF are on the rise nationally so i'd say you can expect that vote to rise to somewhere in the middle of those two votes in percentage terms.

Looking at the poll on boards, reckon the Labour situation is indicative of what will happen. Can see that vote being split 50/50 for obvious reasons (city -v- county) and that might just cause an upset for the party. I'll be very interested to see that outcome.

Depends what poll you like at - they all varied with one having FG at 37%. Most were taken around the same time. I don't think the rise in the left is whats effecting Labour, from canvassing at the door recently people just feel that they have become to realise that there are holes in Labours weak policies, and that people feel their cosy relationship with Unions isn't help either.

I guess Burton and Rabbitte haven't helped recently, and the constant need for Gilmore to whine and go on and on about the leaders debate which isn't exactly the most pressing of issues.

Doubtful, Kenny has never been that popular (though he climbed up in recent polls) and Labour are still doing poorly.

Wont happen. More chance of Labour doing a deal with FF or SF tbh. Gilmore & Co were never very firm on that side of things.

Lets get a number of things straight - Labour have unequivocally stated that they will not enter into a coalition with FF or SF - FG have given no such assurance with regard to a possible coalition with FF.

You stick with your poll of 37% and I will stick with the most recent poll released by the Indo - FG 30% & Labour at 24%.

Let's look at FG's Union friendly policies - Leo Varadkar has given an unequivocal undertaking that Irish worker's collective bargaining rights as well as being enshrined in the European Charter will be enshrined in Irish Law thus making it easier for worker to join unions & forcing employers to negotiate with Unions which is of course not the current position - employers are merely compelled to recognise worker's rights to join a union - they are currently not compelled to negotiate with said unions.

FG has also stated that they will reverse the minimum wage cut which has so enraged unions.

Don't get me wrong , I applaud these moves which are also echoed by Labour & let's not forget that both parties have said that they will honour the Croke Park Agreement.

I must say that I have been far more impressed by Labour's policies which have been extremely well communicated by Mr. Gilmore when compared to any such communications by the reclusive Mr. Kenny , perhaps we'll get a better view now that Vincent Browne has offered to step down as chair of the TV3 debate - nothing to stop Enda appearing now is there ?

My money is still on a coalition with Labour having a huge say although at 1 to 12 it's not really worth bettting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Ah yeah there's no way he'll top the poll but he might put in a better showing than some expect, I guess.

His vote decreased dramatically in the locals but Joe Tobin's and Halligan's campaigns aggressively went after him. Some nasty politics went on in that ward in the last locals.
    Tobin wasnt in his ward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

Tom Higgins will pick-up quite a good personal vote in the West, and I think that he might take many of those votes away from John Deasy as opposed from Coffey.
    I think would make a better TD that either of the current 2 FG candidates.

FG up 2 and Labour up 1 since the last Sunday Business Post poll last week.
    FG 35% (+2); Labour 22% (+1); FF 17% (+1); SF 13% (nc); Ind 11% (-4); Greens 2% (nc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

wfman wrote: »
    Tobin wasnt in his ward?

Sorry I meant Willy Moore, the WP candidate in that ward.
    FG up 2 and Labour up 1 since the last Sunday Business Post poll last week.
    FG 35% (+2); Labour 22% (+1); FF 17% (+1); SF 13% (nc); Ind 11% (-4); Greens 2% (nc)

RTE's elections feed on Twitter has those figures but report the changes differently.

FG -2
    Labour +3
    FF -1
    SF +1
    Green -1

Have seen those same figures twice now.

SBP on Twitter are where I got the result anyway but ya I saw the older ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant Willy Moore, the WP candidate in that ward.

i remember the WP putting stuff in the letterbox about all the candidates.
    what kind of nasty politics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

I think cullinane will be fighting for 3rd or 4th seat. Get about 12% first preferance or 5300 votes. Transfers will be the critical factors. The dirty politics mentioned by nkay involved comments about where he lived with his wife ie co. kilkenny. Also a lot about supporting travellers during the feud which were all lies.

Advertisement