Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Your absolutely right, it doesn't give a true reflection of what it will be like in Waterford. My opinion on why he is topping it is because generally all of us on boards.ie are very opinionated, and the majority are so strongly opinionated that they'll argue against most things if not everything, hence why they're voting for SF in the poll. That's not to say some people genuinely are voting for him based on policies or whatever, but for the most part it's a protest vote on boards.

As for his vote, he got 1,109 in '04 and 590 in '09. However, SF are on the rise nationally so i'd say you can expect that vote to rise to somewhere in the middle of those two votes in percentage terms.

Looking at the poll on boards, reckon the Labour situation is indicative of what will happen. Can see that vote being split 50/50 for obvious reasons (city -v- county) and that might just cause an upset for the party. I'll be very interested to see that outcome.

Be interesting to see they all do in the WIT debate on Tuesday night. Hopefully the chair will let each candidate have their say rather than shouting over each other. I'm sick of VB, Prime Time etc where cutting across each other is all that goes on. Joan Burton was a perfect example with Joe Higgins. She made a fool of herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

wagtail99 wrote: »
    Tom Higgins will pick-up quite a good personal vote in the West, and I think that he might take many of those votes away from John Deasy as opposed from Coffey.
    I think would make a better TD that either of the current 2 FG candidates.?

a better TD??? The man is a useless councillor and the results in 2009, where he scraped home proved it!!

Coffey has more to lose than Deasy, by Higgins enetering the race, but the fg'ers who are not voting for Deasy are committed to Coffey at this stage, so Higgins will have some job to woo voters from either candidate!!

a lot of anger amongst the coffey supporters at today's development!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

I think cullinane will be fighting for 3rd or 4th seat. Get about 12% first preferance or 5300 votes. Transfers will be the critical factors. The dirty politics mentioned by nkay involved comments about where he lived with his wife ie co. kilkenny. Also a lot about supporting travellers during the feud which were all lies.
    But cullinane does live in kilkenny thats not a dirty comment or nasty politics its the truth.Cullinane put his address as lisduggan for the locals even though he lived in kilkenny so he must of realised that it was going to be an issue.
    Now i dont agree with any lies being told about candidates at doorsteps as im sure SF candidates wouldnt get involved in any "dirty politics".
    The reality is his vote fell by 50% and i dont think a few rumours would cause that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Just reading Paudie Coffee's website, his third priority is listed as "Promote greater recognition and support by the State of Family Values/Issues." What the hell does this mean? This is pure rhetorical bull****e that doesn't mean anything concrete. I'm sick of politicians with this airy fairy policies.

And also reading David Cullinane's blog, 1 of his favourite books listed is "The God Delusion." Do we have a Satan worshipping evil atheist on our poll cards? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Re the WIT Debate - Are ALL the candidates taking part? if not why not? If its a choosey invitation only thing wheres the democracy in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Any chance the mods can find out who voted FF and we go round and smack them up ?

Just joking !

Strange to see FG splitting their own vote, it's poor vote management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I can't believe Brendan Keneally won't be there at the WIT debate. Disappointing.
    Junior wrote: »
    Strange to see FG splitting their own vote, it's poor vote management.

Not if the numbers are there to take 2 seats.. Which it seems there are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Godsentme wrote: »
    Re the WIT Debate - Are ALL the candidates taking part? if not why not? If its a choosey invitation only thing wheres the democracy in that?

Most, not all. Not enough time to do a full debate. I don't think there are many left out, but its just not possible to fit everyone in the time frame we have.

The invites were based on the main parties (because the bulk of the votes always go that way, and most people want to hear from candidates from such parties) such as FF/FG/SF/Lab and then the most high profile Independent. When Fianna Fail said no, we invited the Green Party candidate along on the basis that they were in government during the worst economic times and most unpopular government which they propped up.

That leaves two Independents (Joe Conway and Ben Nutty) and Workers Party (Joe Tobin) who will be invited to attend the event and can comment during Q&A sessions. If we have time left over, at the discretion of the chair, we will try give time for those who couldn't be part of the main speeches. If another candidate pulls out, we will pick someone from the remaining candidates to take their place.

Basing this of the list of candidates I have seen so far - there may be others not officially declared so are not on the list of candidates.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Boards.ie/vote is operating on first preferences only and no transfers are taken into consideration yet btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I don't get it. Why can't we elect 50 of the most experienced people in the fields of finance, education etc. Form a committee with one leader and cut out all this competition for the better job stuff. After all, that's what this election is right now: A competition for the half mill a year and a great pension. Things need to change.

• Advertisement

I don't get it. Why can't we elect 50 of the most experienced people in the fields of finance, education etc. Form a committee with one leader and cut out all this competition for the better job stuff. After all, that's what this election is right now: A competition for the half mill a year and a great pension. Things need to change.

You're looking at a list system then. I'd be very happy to see a 100 seat Dáil with 50 of the candidates chosen from a list of candidates like you mentioned, in categories of finance, education etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

So far David Cullinane has been the only one to knock on my door anyway, so hes ahead in my choice...

Trotter wrote: »
    You're looking at a list system then. I'd be very happy to see a 100 seat Dáil with 50 of the candidates chosen from a list of candidates like you mentioned, in categories of finance, education etc.

what you need then is really for us to elect a facilitator/manager as Taoiseach, not a leader of men or a 'personality', someone who can bring the best people together and manage them in a way so that no ego's are dented but so that we get the best out of all of them. We really don't want to abolish the seanad if this is the case, it's the only way to co-op the best people into 'government'

Junior wrote: »
    what you need then is really for us to elect a facilitator/manager as Taoiseach, not a leader of men or a 'personality', someone who can bring the best people together and manage them in a way so that no ego's are dented but so that we get the best out of all of them. We really don't want to abolish the seanad if this is the case, it's the only way to co-op the best people into 'government'

Given that the system we're interested in isnt in place now, we should be voting for a manager type Taoiseach who is more focussed on the strength of the team than the strength of his TV persona. For me thats Enda Kenny at the moment. I havent heard him talk too much on their health plans because he sends out Dr. James Reilly, or about finance because he sends out Michael Noonan etc.

I cant understand people who say its all about the leader "doing it for them".. Doing what like? We had a "does it for me" Taoiseach already.. and his biggest regret is not having a stadium to wave at his public from the good seats. A load of mank.. and its a shame to still hear people looking to vote for that setup again while we still have people in tears in airports saying goodbye to their crying parents.. neither of them wanting to be separated.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MagicMcGrath

A competition for the half mill a year and a great pension.

Half a mil a year, really?? Be realistic. Exaggeration will get you nowhere.
    Sully wrote: »
    When Fianna Fail said no, we invited the Green Party candidate along on the basis that they were in government during the worst economic times and most unpopular government which they propped up.

Sounds to me like this is going to be an unproductive debate whereby it will just be a constant attack on the Greens and no actual policies will be discussed or what candidates intend to do if elected. What people really need to do is to forget about what has happened, because that is in the past, and now try to move forward, starting by listening to candidates and their proposals as opposed to unproductive wave of attack after attack because we all know that's the easiest thing to do, but how are you going to find out what a candidate will bring to Waterford then?
    I can't believe Brendan Keneally won't be there at the WIT debate.

I would imagine Kenneally who will be looking for re-election in the hardest general election FF has ever faced would rather be out knocking on doors and talking to people at grass-roots level, and I would be in agreement with him. I know that for people like me who wouldn't be able to make it to the debate would rather have him knock on my door and I can discuss issues/policies with him then. Most TD's who are properly organised will have a schedule made out for the canvassing campaign and it is actually poor organisation on the part of whoever is organising the debate as they should have approached all candidates before they mapped out their canvassing schedule.

Surely there'll be another debate in the Tower Hotel like in '07? This'll be the real deal one.
    wfman wrote: »
    But cullinane does live in kilkenny thats not a dirty comment or nasty politics its the truth.Cullinane put his address as lisduggan for the locals even though he lived in kilkenny so he must of realised that it was going to be an issue.
    Now i dont agree with any lies being told about candidates at doorsteps as im sure SF candidates wouldnt get involved in any "dirty politics".
    The reality is his vote fell by 50% and i dont think a few rumours would cause that.

Agreed. This is an issue. Misrepresenting from the outset.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's irrelevant where David lives. He's a Waterford man, and spends the majority of his time in the city.

Given that the system we're interested in isnt in place now, we should be voting for a manager type Taoiseach who is more focussed on the strength of the team than the strength of his TV persona. For me thats Enda Kenny at the moment. I havent heard him talk too much on their health plans because he sends out Dr. James Reilly, or about finance because he sends out Michael Noonan etc.

I cant understand people who say its all about the leader "doing it for them".. Doing what like? We had a "does it for me" Taoiseach already.. and his biggest regret is not having a stadium to wave at his public from the good seats. A load of mank.. and its a shame to still hear people looking to vote for that setup again while we still have people in tears in airports saying goodbye to their crying parents.. neither of them wanting to be separated.

/rant

I will state now I'm not party political, but I 100% agree with what you say there, I do think the media are jumping on this bandwagon also beating the where's enda drum. Would they prefer he appeared everywhere spilling the usual going forward election bull**** bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I disagree with you dlofnet, it is important that the person representing WATERFORD lives in Waterford.

Where in Kilkenny is he living and how long has he been there?
    Why did he choose to buy in Kilkenny if he is still working in Waterford?

I think that a lot of Sinn Fein voters might be giving their 1st pref to John Halligan, I would never have voted for him prior to his year as mayor but he really impressed him as mayor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Vanman1

/rant

Spot on Trotter. Agree 100% with you.

Sounds to me like this is going to be an unproductive debate whereby it will just be a constant attack on the Greens and no actual policies will be discussed or what candidates intend to do if elected. What people really need to do is to forget about what has happened, because that is in the past, and now try to move forward, starting by listening to candidates and their proposals as opposed to unproductive wave of attack after attack because we all know that's the easiest thing to do, but how are you going to find out what a candidate will bring to Waterford then?

There are two topics each candidate will be given an allocated time frame to discuss. Its not to be used as a "knock the others" speech, but time to rebuttal will be given (tight time frame). Therefore, its not going to be an unproductive debate with attack attack attack. Candidates are there to set out their stall for national recovery and national work THEY stand for. Not what others may or may not stand for. Just because the Greens are attending doesn't mean its an automatic attack.

Bare in mind that the job of a TD is different to that of a councilor - they will legislate rather then work parish pump politics. So in my opinion anyway, they shouldn't be there to set out what they will do to Waterford. Ask that during the local elections. Instead, for a general election, ask what they will do to get the country back working again which can benefit places like Waterford.

• Advertisement

/rant

You may find this article interesting:
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/why-the-man-with-no-ego-will-make-a-good-taoiseach-2527521.html

Odd from the Sunday Independent, it isn't the most complimenting paper for Fine Gael!

comeraghs wrote: »
    I disagree with you dlofnet, it is important that the person representing WATERFORD lives in Waterford.

Why is it important if he spends the majority of his time in Waterford?
    Why did he choose to buy in Kilkenny if he is still working in Waterford?

He can buy wherever he pleases. Who are you to question where his home is? If you're suggesting that David doesn't have his ear to the ground in Waterford because of where his home is situated, then you're either disingenuous or naive - Which is it?

He has canvassed more than any other politician, and listened to more people than any other politician. I assure you - his ear is to the ground more than any other person in waterford right now.
    I think that a lot of Sinn Fein voters might be giving their 1st pref to John Halligan, I would never have voted for him prior to his year as mayor but he really impressed him as mayor.

No they won't. Don't be silly. John might get a second preference, but all Sinn Féin voters will vote for David (Hence the moniker)

He can buy a house wherever he pleases but dont lie about it on the ballot paper.people arent fools.it wouldnt be an issue for me if he was honest about it.
    If his ear is to the ground why did he nearly loose his council seat?
    who's to say which politican has canvassed more?did you follow them all around?

He didn't nearly lose his seat. He came in third with 1st preference votes in a 5 seater. His ear is to the ground, and he is listening to the public. You're engaging in a typical pre-election smear against a Sinn Féin candidate. It's a non-issue.

Sinn Féin are the only party to have canvassed my door, and my sister's door. The only other thing I've seen so far is a leaflet in the door from John Halligan. Whether he was canvassing or not, I'm not sure - but I didn't hear a knock on the door.

He was elected on the 6th count getting the 4th seat without reaching a quota after his vote fell by 50%.Thats a poor performance from a sitting councillor.
    i didnt start any pre election smear.SF will blame anyone but themselfs for poor local election results in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

He can buy a house wherever he pleases but dont lie about it on the ballot paper.people arent fools.it wouldnt be an issue for me if he was honest about it.

David Cullinane is Waterford born and bread. He has spent all his life here. Whats important in this election is what each party and candidate will do to reverse the disasterous policies of FF and G party which have bankrupted the cuntry. No side shows just close examination of policies. I don't want to take the rap for private speculators who took a gamble and lost. They screwed us and are getting away with it.

Do you think you could go into paddy powers and bet 20 on a horse and when the horse lost go back in and get your money back plus interest. I don't think so!!

Well thats whats happening now. I'm saying no more its time to stop this mass robbery of the ordinary people like us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

FG Councillor resigns in waterford to run as an Indo!!
    FG County Cllr Tom Higgins annunced his resignation from the party today, in order to run as an Independent!! The Cllr, who is regarded as a close friend and ally of FG candidate, Sen Paudie Coffey, is set to run as an Independent in the forthcoming general election!!

p.s. Paudie wont be happy, even though Higgins hasnt a hope in hell!!

Agree with Tom not having a hope in hell, but do you think will he split the FG vote, and maybe take votes from Ciara Conway. Split the FG vote might not be the correct phrase as both Paudie and John should get enough votes to be elected fairly early in the county. Maybe i should have said he will reduce their vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I think it's disappointing that Kenneally won't show up for the debate, and that other candidates have been reticent. Are WLR running a debate? How is the debate advertised off-line?

For me, personally, I can't imagine that FF bother much with the "flats" in the city, and I haven't seen any candidate coming to the door. They all no doubt realise that apartments (as they call them outside of Waterford) house students and young people who are less likely to vote for the establishment parties, or arguably less likely to vote at all. They are also more likely to give abuse and ask uncomfortable questions. A bad bang for their canvassing buck. So I personally don't expect to see many of them on my threshold in the Scotch quay area. So I won't have the opportunity of putting any questions to them, least of all Kenneally, I think.

Kenneally and his like won't bother with the debate for the same reason. Why spend the night fighting a losing battle for a few votes when you can lick arses in estates and out the country, and sway ordinary, decent, *conservative* voters over the line into giving you one last shot -- and sure you don't want them shinners getting in, and you FG and Labour would ruin the country (Hmm...), etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

For all my bashing of SF on this thread, I have to say I'm very impressed with their views on Church - State separation. They seem to be very much a secular party. I'm a bit disappointed with Labour's stance on the issues raised by Atheist Ireland. You can view the stance of FG, Labour and SF here http://www.atheist.ie/information/2011-general-election/

The other political parties have not responded to the 6 questions yet. I know Church - State separation is not exactly the most pressing of our problems at the moment, but still interesting to see which way a party views the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Dan133269 wrote: »
    For all my bashing of SF on this thread, I have to say I'm very impressed with their views on Church - State separation. They seem to be very much a secular party. I'm a bit disappointed with Labour's stance on the issues raised by Atheist Ireland. You can view the stance of FG, Labour and SF here http://www.atheist.ie/information/2011-general-election/

The other political parties have not responded to the 6 questions yet. I know Church - State separation is not exactly the most pressing of our problems at the moment, but still interesting to see which way a party views the matter.

Hmm... interesting. You don't have to be an atheist to agree to a separation between church and state.

Advertisement