Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Dan133269 wrote: »
    For all my bashing of SF on this thread, I have to say I'm very impressed with their views on Church - State separation. They seem to be very much a secular party. I'm a bit disappointed with Labour's stance on the issues raised by Atheist Ireland. You can view the stance of FG, Labour and SF here http://www.atheist.ie/information/2011-general-election/

The other political parties have not responded to the 6 questions yet. I know Church - State separation is not exactly the most pressing of our problems at the moment, but still interesting to see which way a party views the matter.

Interesting reading there and TBH another reason that I'm leaning towards a SF vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MagicMcGrath

ziedth wrote: »
    Interesting reading there and TBH another reason that I'm leaning towards a SF vote.

Really? You're going to vote for a party lead by Gerry Adams? Fair enough if it wasn't, but it is, and I truly feel for the families in Louth who are doing their utmost to derail Adams' campaign to get into Leinster House. I really do feel for them on this one and am totally opposed to an SF vote.

My opinion at the end of the day is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

merlante wrote: »
    I think it's disappointing that Kenneally won't show up for the debate, and that other candidates have been reticent. Are WLR running a debate? How is the debate advertised off-line?

For me, personally, I can't imagine that FF bother much with the "flats" in the city, and I haven't seen any candidate coming to the door. They all no doubt realise that apartments (as they call them outside of Waterford) house students and young people who are less likely to vote for the establishment parties, or arguably less likely to vote at all. They are also more likely to give abuse and ask uncomfortable questions. A bad bang for their canvassing buck. So I personally don't expect to see many of them on my threshold in the Scotch quay area. So I won't have the opportunity of putting any questions to them, least of all Kenneally, I think.

Kenneally and his like won't bother with the debate for the same reason. Why spend the night fighting a losing battle for a few votes when you can lick arses in estates and out the country, and sway ordinary, decent, *conservative* voters over the line into giving you one last shot -- and sure you don't want them shinners getting in, and you FG and Labour would ruin the country (Hmm...), etc.

Kenneally is typical of FF afraid to get out and meet the people and debate with the other candidates. His FF 'soldiers of disaster' ruined our country, wasted billions and just looked after their friends in high places. Has anyone ever heard Keannelly talk in the dail, put down questions or ever heard him being consulted about anything? Yet he had either the highest expenses or second highest last year. A complete plank if ever there was one.

Yet there are still enough seriously deluded people around to vote for him and his like. Guess people just haven't suffered enough if his crowd get any seats. Gombeen politics... FF will never change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

ziedth wrote: »

I could be wrong, but didn't Gerry Adams once say that he saw himself as catholic first and then Irish.

Really? You're going to vote for a party lead by Gerry Adams? Fair enough if it wasn't, but it is, and I truly feel for the families in Louth who are doing their utmost to derail Adams' campaign to get into Leinster House. I really do feel for them on this one and am totally opposed to an SF vote.

My opinion at the end of the day is all.

From what I can gather Gerry Adams looks like winning a seat in Louth. Even you must agree that he has done a lot of work, along with others, to push on the peace process and bring an end to violence from all sides. It seems the people close to the border ie Louth who have been affected by the troubles certainly more than most people in Waterford look at things from the wider perspective.

Just my opinion too. The results will tell after counting.

• Advertisement

I HEAR The latest position of Labour is the IMF/EU deal must be extended from 2014 to 2016. Did I hear somewhere that SF said that in the first place months ago?

What did you all think of Eamonn Gilmore's press conference where he said 'we can do it Berlins way or Labour's way'. Strong stuff, does anyone believe him though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

RTE NewsatOne special election programme live from Waterford, Tuesday 1pm.
    That's the wireless folks !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

merlante wrote: »
    Hmm... interesting. You don't have to be an atheist to agree to a separation between church and state.

Of course. But it just so happens that Atheist Ireland are the only group campaigning for a more secular society and trying to gauge the position of political parties on this.
    wagtail99 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but didn't Gerry Adams once say that he saw himself as catholic first and then Irish.

Possibly, Brian Cowen, Bertie Ahern and John A. Costello all said it. In fact the latter said, whatever Rome says, we must do it. Eamon de Valera said the same thing. So much for being "Republican."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1203/1224259997261.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

I can't believe that ff would get a seat in Waterford but the pundits say so!! Why I ask why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

As has been pointed out to me by various people, a lot of people look upon politics in the same vain as they look at supporting a football club. So when things are going badly, they'll shout about it and kick up a fuss and sometimes wonder why they even supported them in the first place but ultimately when they walk up to that ballot box, they'll give their first preference to the same "team" they've supported all their life. These peoples views can't be changed. Unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

decies wrote: »
    I can't believe that ff would get a seat in Waterford but the pundits say so!! Why I ask why ?

maybe we're suckers for a political dynasty? It defies logic I agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Unfortunatley yes. There are people and I know a few who are genetically programmed to vote FF no matter what. They are a bit like the Borg.

FG have the first 2 seats sown up. Labour should take the third while there will be a dog fight for final one with Kenneally, Halligan and Cullinane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

RTE NewsatOne special election programme live from Waterford, Tuesday 1pm.
    That's the wireless folks !!

Anyone listen to it? I saw on the RTE Elections Twitter feed that the university issue was discussed.

Partizan wrote: »
    Unfortunatley yes. There are people and I know a few who are genetically programmed to vote FF no matter what. They are a bit like the Borg.

LOL brilliant. :D That's exactly what they're like. Riker and Worf can shoot as many "individuals" with their phasers (set to "kill") as they like, but more just keep coming, completely unmoved.

I think Dara Calleary and Peter Power (is that his name, the Limerick guy?) are actually Borg.

AdMMM wrote: »
    As has been pointed out to me by various people, a lot of people look upon politics in the same vain as they look at supporting a football club. So when things are going badly, they'll shout about it and kick up a fuss and sometimes wonder why they even supported them in the first place but ultimately when they walk up to that ballot box, they'll give their first preference to the same "team" they've supported all their life. These peoples views can't be changed. Unfortunately.
    Also, just to expand on beyond a ham-fisted sports analogy.

FF have been very good to the generation that has now retired and most have escaped the hardships and burden that's been placed on the younger generation's shoulders. The main issues that are being emphasised this election simply don't resonate with or affect the older generations. They couldn't care less about political reform or education policies etc. And I don't really blame them. As far as they're concerned, FF have secured them a care-free retirement (even if it's at our expense) and for that they're grateful and see no reason why they shouldn't keep voting for FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

fricatus wrote: »
    Anyone listen to it? I saw on the RTE Elections Twitter feed that the university issue was discussed.

Was mad busy in work so didn't hear it but it'll hopefully be available on podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MagicMcGrath

FF have been very good to the generation that has now retired and most have escaped the hardships and burden that's been placed on the younger generation's shoulders. The main issues that are being emphasised this election simply don't resonate with or affect the older generations. They couldn't care less about political reform or education policies etc. And I don't really blame them. As far as they're concerned, FF have secured them a care-free retirement (even if it's at our expense) and for that they're grateful and see no reason why they shouldn't keep voting for FF.

And I would agree with them. Whoever has done, or I believe will do something which I truly believe is beneficial to me will be the one I vote for. That's not necessarily saying I wouldn't vote for FG because they'll be the ones controlling taxes etc. but the one I feel will put the country on track and make my future better. From the generation you refer to above, if you were in their shoes why wouldn't you vote FF? No good reason from their perspective not to based on their experiences. And quite frankly I don't view this as a problem to which so many people refer to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,665 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i wonder will John Halligan get in. Hes fourth in the boards election so hopefully he will be in the top 4 come election night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i wonder will John Halligan get in. Hes fourth in the boards election so hopefully he will be in the top 4 come election night

Unfortunately we really can't use the boards vote for any proper analysis. 277 out of an electorate of 73,434 have voted in it, or 0.37% if you wish. Not to mention the fact the average age of the boards voters is much younger than the county as a whole.

That said I wouldn't mind Halligan getting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Wonder how well will Halligan poll outside of the city?
    Cullinane will probably poll better than him outside due to party name alone.

OFF TOPIC WARNING: Every time I see Kenneallys poster i think of Larry Burns :D

500px-Larry_Burns.png

• Advertisement

Also, just to expand on beyond a ham-fisted sports analogy.

I expect that to be the case too with some but not all older people. Thousands of their children and grandchilderen are foreced to emigrate and thousands more are unemployed as a direct result of FF policies. Because of this and the general mess the government has made of things a lot of older voters might turn away from FF. Remenber even older people are carrying some of the costs of the bank and developer bailout and may vote for change this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I fear many voting decisions will be based on this..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Whats the alternative, vote for a party that has a headless chicken as its leader. Ok, chances are that he will be the next taoiseach, but if something comes up and it requires him to go on tv can we take it that he wont go on TV3 if Vincent Browne is asking the questions.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Whats the alternative, vote for a party that has a headless chicken as its leader. Ok, chances are that he will be the next taoiseach, but if something comes up and it requires him to go on tv can we take it that he wont go on TV3 if Vincent Browne is asking the questions.

Bertie was great on TV. I'd prefer a fella who isnt great on TV but who runs a team of people who'll with any luck, try not to screw 90% of the population for the benefit of the 10% that make up those with serious money, or blind loyalty to an organisation that realistically does them no favours.

I suspect theres a few FF devotees who were waiting for the local TD to jump in the door and save the day all the way to the point where they drove them to the airport and waved their son/daughter off to Australia/Canada/England... but they never arrived.

When will some people realise that we dont want Bertie mark II who incidentally called the shots on the debates in 2007 too, yet the media never ganged up on him for that.

Enda will do just fine.. compared to the disgusting thought of another term of FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Deise Tom wrote: »
    What Trotter said. Plus, Cowen hasn't gone on the VB show either. By the way does anyone know if Gilmore was on it? Can't remember seeing him on it. I do think Kenny should have just done the TV3 debate, but what really matters is that he can lead his party to properly run the country and implement their policies, not whether he can handle a roasting from Vincent Browne.

Lads, is Mary Roche running this time around? I haven't seen her name come up yet.

Deadline is at noon today. 11 declared candidates as of yesterday morning but this may rise to 15 if all those who expressed interest to the returning officer submit their nomination papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I don't want to drag this off topic but how expensive is it to run as an independent? Like could a group of lads but forward a candidate as a laugh if they all threw in €50?

€500 which is returnable if you poll a certain % I believe. You must also present 25 signatures from registered voters.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Lads, is Mary Roche running this time around? I haven't seen her name come up yet.

No she's not running this time.

Advertisement