Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dlofnep wrote: »
    Perhaps (since you are in the know) - You can give is an accurate breakdown of the 30,000 redundancies? It's almost 10% of the entire public sector, and yet you feel confident in it having no impact on frontline services. Fine Gael I assume have released a paper, categorically spelling out the areas that will be hit? Otherwise, you're not in a position to make such a claim I'm afraid..

Neither are you though. :)

Fine Gael have stated frontline services wont be effected, several times including on tonights This Week in Politics. Its being aimed at administration. So, one would assume, we have to go by their word and assume they have plans in more detail.

Like a lot of parties, they don't spell out every single detail in their policies. Fine Gael jobs policy is twenty two A4 pages long. Sinn Féin jobs policy is just two A4 pages long.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Sully wrote: »

Fine Gael have stated frontline services wont be effected, several times including on tonights This Week in Politics. Its being aimed at administration. So, one would assume, we have to go by their word and assume they have plans in more detail.

Like a lot of parties, they don't spell out every single detail in their policies. Fine Gael jobs policy is twenty two A4 pages long. Sinn Féin jobs policy is just two A4 pages long.

They can state what they want , removing 10 % of the PS workforce by a combination of voluntary redundancies & natural wastage is going to hit frontline services.

NUI Maynooth have said that the average school will lose 2 teachers and 1 in 6 nurses will go.

If they are prepared to release a 22 page document on jobs could we not expect at least a few bullet points on how they intend to implement the voluntary redundancy scheme ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I never claimed to be - But when I see a 10% reduction in public sector employment, I'm not naive enough to believe that it won't affect frontline services.

Well, you can go by their word as you're a FG member. I'm not obliged to do so. And when I see proposals for 30,000 cuts in the public sector, I feel it's perfectly valid to question where these cuts are going to be made and challenge the idea of them only being inflicted on admin-staff, when it's almost 10% of the entire public sector that will be laid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Drivetime on RTE1 radio have the Waterford candidates on right now. Hopefully it'll be online in a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

What Trotter said. Plus, Cowen hasn't gone on the VB show either. By the way does anyone know if Gilmore was on it? Can't remember seeing him on it. I do think Kenny should have just done the TV3 debate, but what really matters is that he can lead his party to properly run the country and implement their policies, not whether he can handle a roasting from Vincent Browne.

I have to agree no point being good Tv debater and ripping off the country at the same time ie Berti, Charlie etc. Its about policies and how someone will apply themselves to running the country. Personally I don't agree with the pay and expenses of politicians. Especially the pensions they get as ministers. Anyone else gets a pension at normal retirement age OAP's etc so I think the same should apply to ministers.

Voting for personalities over substance is a foolish way to cast your vote. I'm afraid though that far too many people will vote for personalities or family tradition. Its so sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Driving home and I spotted a chap, non national by the looks. outside Ardkeen with a sign around him. Full high vis jacket and it was lashing.

It was for Declan Waters, the chap with "Non Party 1" on all his posters.

Shocking tbh! Hope he was being well paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Driving home and I spotted a chap, non national by the looks. outside Ardkeen with a sign around him. Full high vis jacket and it was lashing.

What an amazing talent - the ability to spot a non national " by the looks " :D

Are all FG followers so perceptive ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

how many votes has he secured in the last few elections. not many i would imagine. The penny should be dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

Declan Waters.
    1997 dail,national party 855 votes.
    2002 dail,christian solidarity party 335 votes.
    2007 dail,independent 270 votes.

wfman wrote: »
    Declan Waters.

Thanks.

Enough said, as i said the penny should be dropping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He was on the cork road roundabout this morning :pac:
    wfman wrote: »
    Declan Waters.
    Deise Tom wrote: »
    Thanks.

Enough said, as i said the penny should be dropping.

Dont know about Pennys but his vote is certainly dropping :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

I had John Halligan call to the house last night looking for my vote. I asked him what was his position on Political and Public Sector Reform.

He said "I don't have one but i will do a good job for Waterford"!

I asked him how he proposed to do that from the back benches in opposition.

He said "We need to ensure that FF is not leading party in opposition"!

Before i thanked him one of his canvassers said "we are making no promises - only that we will do our best"

I thought i had just woken up in 'Killinaskully'! Maybe a good man for Waterford, but certainly out of his depth for the National Stage. Pity really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

I am interested if anyone has noticed Labours change in direction from "Gilmore for Taoiseach" to "The Country don't want a single party Government".

Well I for one would like to see a single party Government so that we can sign up to the full policy document of a particular party and not a watered down version. Also, it would be refreshing to see a party stand over its policies and not be in a position to blame the coalition party!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

to be honest looking at the Waterford election there isnt one of them id vote for.

NONE will do Waterford any good.
    They only good theyll do is show their face at the Tall Ships and any press oppurtunity

They are actually all clowns who as said above will be no use on a National scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Was always a Fine Gael voter - family and all that but lately have kept an open mind on who I will vote for.

So far I've had three canvassers to my door

1st one was from John Deasy - basically his rep just handed me the flyer, asked would I remeber him turned on his heels and walked off - didnt want to outline any policies etc - sorry John you've lost my vote

2nd was Brendan Kenneally's rep - nice man gave a good 5minutes taliking to me- answered a lot of questions and left a good impression - unfortunately the man he's representing wouldnt go down too well with me

3rd was a rep for Sinn Fein and as much as it galls me to say it so far they have left the best impression on me - again gave a good 5 minutes - talked up his candidate and basically I felt that he had the right issues and concerns at heart - so might have to consider going against my beliefs and give them a 1st preference

So far havent received or heard anything from Paudie Coffey, or any of the Labour candidates and basically if noone calls thay wont get my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

So far I have had one fella knock on the door, he was a rep for Labour
    Basically handed the flyer in and walked!

Wont be voting labour anyway

as mentioned above if I had to vote for anyone, I would SF this year as they seem to be making the most sense , never voted them in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I've been wondering about canvassers and similar stuff jimbojazz. So far I've only had one of Kenneally's guys call to my house last Sat night. Sadly Kenneally himself was not around so there was no point in losing the plot. Maybe it's too soon but I'm vaguely surprised at how few of them have been around the upper grange area.

Then again I could regret having said this if they all come out of the woodwork and totally wreck my buzz.

I was back out canvassing last night again for SF. Great response from the doors. Alot of people are really keen in having a chat, opposed to just taking a leaflet. Many were concerned with the cutbacks, and concerned with the levels of debt this bailout is going to bring us. Another issue that seemed to crop up was the potential introduction of water rates by Fine Gael.

I knocked on John Halligans door for the crack to canvass ;) He wasn't in though! Would have loved to pick his brain. We bumped into that lad from the Green Party - Jody who was canvassing on his own I think. Seemed like a really decent chap - He doesn't really have much of a chance in the election though - But very nice guy.

Great year for canvassing - So many people willing to have a chat.

Sully - If you get a chance, could you look into that water rates issue for me? I was listening to Noonan yesterday on the radio, and he didn't answer any questions on the quota or actual potential rates. Alot of people asked last night, and I had no information to give them other than FG would be potentially introducing them.

Perhaps the following.

1) Rates quota
    2) Would the quota be progressive based on the amount in the household
    3) Average cost incurred to a family per month.

old gregg wrote: »
    I've been wondering about canvassers and similar stuff jimbojazz. So far I've only had one of Kenneally's guys call to my house last Sat night. Sadly Kenneally himself was not around so there was no point in losing the plot. Maybe it's too soon but I'm vaguely surprised at how few of them have been around the upper grange area.

Then again I could regret having said this if they all come out of the woodwork and totally wreck my buzz.

More or less in the same area as you Gregg - maybe they havent hit us yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Has anyone seen a poster for Alan Darcy around? apparently he is running in the election because ive seen one up near where i live but there is no sign of him on a papers or not on the boards voting page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

STIG83 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a poster for Alan Darcy around? apparently he is running in the election because ive seen one up near where i live but there is no sign of him on a papers or not on the boards voting page.

He isn't running.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Was always a Fine Gael voter - family and all that but lately have kept an open mind on who I will vote for.

So far I've had three canvassers to my door

1st one was from John Deasy - basically his rep just handed me the flyer, asked would I remeber him turned on his heels and walked off - didnt want to outline any policies etc - sorry John you've lost my vote

2nd was Brendan Kenneally's rep - nice man gave a good 5minutes taliking to me- answered a lot of questions and left a good impression - unfortunately the man he's representing wouldnt go down too well with me

3rd was a rep for Sinn Fein and as much as it galls me to say it so far they have left the best impression on me - again gave a good 5 minutes - talked up his candidate and basically I felt that he had the right issues and concerns at heart - so might have to consider going against my beliefs and give them a 1st preference

So far havent received or heard anything from Paudie Coffey, or any of the Labour candidates and basically if noone calls thay wont get my vote

Just a reminder that its impossible for the candidate to knock on every door himself. Thats why you have members of his campaign team knocking on doors, presenting a leaflet on the candidate and party (if applicable).

Its up to you to ask the questions folks, and there shouldn't be any difficulty with the "rep" responding. If there is, call the candidate and speak directly with him. I'm sure the candidate would have no problem answering any question you may have that the rep wasn't able to.

With the amount of houses that need canvassing, and with most people just wanting the leaflet, canvassers don't always stop and ask "Have you any questions?". If you have a question, ask! :)
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Sully - If you get a chance, could you look into that water rates issue for me? I was listening to Noonan yesterday on the radio, and he didn't answer any questions on the quota or actual potential rates. Alot of people asked last night, and I had no information to give them other than FG would be potentially introducing them.

Perhaps the following.

1) Rates quota
    2) Would the quota be progressive based on the amount in the household
    3) Average cost incurred to a family per month.

Ill do my best, but you might be quicker emailing HQ? :)
    STIG83 wrote: »

He isn't on any list that I have with candidates, but maybe its wrong.

Not every candidate will be putting up posters - finance issue mostly I would imagine.

Let me know what area you are in if you haven't been canvassed by FG yet. Its possible they called, but nobody was home. However, I doubt all parties have managed to cover each estate as of yet.

Yes Boss wrote: »
    I am interested if anyone has noticed Labours change in direction from "Gilmore for Taoiseach" to "The Country don't want a single party Government".

Well I for one would like to see a single party Government so that we can sign up to the full policy document of a particular party and not a watered down version. Also, it would be refreshing to see a party stand over its policies and not be in a position to blame the coalition party!

There is a need for a single party government now for a while. We have seen what minor colition parties and independents supporting the government has done for the country, and the same could happen again in the future. If there is going to be a single party one, then its fair to say it will be Fine Gael. Did Michael Martin say after coming into the hot seat in FF that he would support a single Party FG in Government.

He isn't on any list that I have with candidates, but maybe its wrong.

Not every candidate will be putting up posters - finance issue mostly I would imagine.

Let me know what area you are in if you haven't been canvassed by FG yet. Its possible they called, but nobody was home. However, I doubt all parties have managed to cover each estate as of yet.
    That Alan Darcy poster i saw it said he was running for himself, "Me Fein" was on it.
    Im out in the Kilmac area and the only one who came to our door so far was Paudie Coffey, (his brother came in) and just had flyers come in the post from the other candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sadly Kenneally himself was not around so there was no point in losing the plot. Maybe it's too soon but I'm vaguely surprised at how few of them have been around the upper grange area.

If Kenneally wasn't around during the canvass, that 's just bad form!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Make A Stand

I'm also disappointed we've had no canvassers at all. I'm in Grange area of the Ciy also. I wanted to have the satisfaction of telling the Kenneally camp exactly what I think of their candidate.

As my own protest vote I'm going to give a vote all the way to no 13 or 14 or whatever it is to everyone EXCEPT Kenneally

I'm gutted to see the way the country has gone. Trying to put two students through college and pay ever increasing mortgage, becoming an impossibilty!!!!

AdMMM wrote: »
    If Kenneally wasn't around during the canvass, that 's just bad form!
    Afraid of the back lash he would get off the public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

has anyone actually seen 'B-cup Kenneally' :D out canvassing?

• Advertisement

Just a reminder that its impossible for the candidate to knock on every door himself. Thats why you have members of his campaign team knocking on doors, presenting a leaflet on the candidate and party (if applicable).

Its up to you to ask the questions folks, and there shouldn't be any difficulty with the "rep" responding. If there is, call the candidate and speak directly with him. I'm sure the candidate would have no problem answering any question you may have that the rep wasn't able to.

With the amount of houses that need canvassing, and with most people just wanting the leaflet, canvassers don't always stop and ask "Have you any questions?". If you have a question, ask! :)

Beg to differ with you there Sully but it is up to whoever they send to engage the people at the doors. After all they're canvassing for someone who is going to be representing me for the next few years and it'll be probably the only real time that I will get a chance to quiz them on their policies.

They are sending these people out on their behalf and if they are incapable of representing them properly then they shouldn't be doing it.

So your argument wears thin with me.

The other two canvassers that called were able to this.

When the Deasy lad called he just handed me the flyer and turned on his heels. I said to him that we were always a Fine Gael house in an effort to engage a conversation but he didn't respond - poor form on his part and as I said it has cost his candidate my vote.

As regards calling the candidate himself - no again - if I go for a job interview i get one chance to sell myself - it should be the same with those seeking election.

We'll see how quick they pick up their phones once elected.

Advertisement