Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Sully wrote: »
    Just a reminder that its impossible for the candidate to knock on every door himself. Thats why you have members of his campaign team knocking on doors, presenting a leaflet on the candidate and party (if applicable).

Its up to you to ask the questions folks, and there shouldn't be any difficulty with the "rep" responding. If there is, call the candidate and speak directly with him. I'm sure the candidate would have no problem answering any question you may have that the rep wasn't able to.

With the amount of houses that need canvassing, and with most people just wanting the leaflet, canvassers don't always stop and ask "Have you any questions?". If you have a question, ask! :)]/quote]

Beg to differ with you there Sully but it is up to whoever they send to engage the people at the doors. After all they're canvassing for someone who is going to be representing me for the next few years and it'll be probably the only real time that I will get a chance to quiz them on their policies.

They are sending these people out on their behalf and if they are incapable of representing them properly then they shouldn't be doing it.

So your argument wears thin with me.

The other two canvassers that called were able to this.

When the Deasy lad called he just handed me the flyer and turned on his heels. I said to him that we were always a Fine Gael house in an effort to engage a conversation but he didn't respond - poor form on his part and as I said it has cost his candidate my vote.

As regards calling the candidate himself - no again - if I go for a job interview i get one chance to sell myself - it should be the same with those seeking election.

We'll see how quick they pick up their phones once elected.

Fair point, just bare in mind the amount of houses a canvasser does a day so sometimes people should try engage with the canvasser also. Ask the questions, don't let the candidate or the canvasser just walk away if you have questions. Put it up to them! :) Just my take on it, but I also try my best to engage when I canvass.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Fair point, just bare in mind the amount of houses a canvasser does a day so sometimes people should try engage with the canvasser also. Ask the questions, don't let the candidate or the canvasser just walk away if you have questions. Put it up to them! :) Just my take on it, but I also try my best to engage when I canvass.

The worrying thing for me is that FG dont have a city candidate running this time and it sent out a message that he is more concerned about the county vote rather than the city which dosent bode well for the city if they get to power

Just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We want people to engage with us, in fact we are surprised at the amount of people who take the literature and close the doors. Like sully said its up to you to ask questions and the canvassers will be only too happy to answer.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    We want people to engage with us, in fact we are surprised at the amount of people who take the literature and close the doors. Like sully said its up to you to ask questions and the canvassers will be only too happy to answer.

Eh, maybe if you read my previous posts you'd see that I did try with this particular canvasser, and as I said out of the three that called the one that was most likely to get my vote didnt engage and has therefore lost my vote.

And as I've already said they should be the ones asking me if I have any questions about their candidate or letting me know their policies- I'm not the one going for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Well well well here I was looking forward to FF canvassing at my door and I found out last night that FFers canvassed my estate last week but didn't come near my place or my nearby neighbours. Now there's a surprise not.;)

However anyone that comes canvassing at my door I take some delight pointing out Kenneally's house and filling them in on what my family and neighbours went through last year because of Kenneally doing a "favour" to use his own word that he used for it. Some had heard about it but others were shocked especially at how Kenneally himself treated us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I assume you have to live in town or a housing estate to get a visit from a politician? I've yet to see one near my place.
    Think i'll vote no. 1 Joe Tobin then give every indepedent a vote there after even though im sure most will be long gone by the time it filters down. I suppose Halligan is the only one that might pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Has anyone in an apartment building been canvassed? I haven't.

I know some of them are not accessible, but others are. More and more of the population are living in medium density accommodation, but are the politicians staying away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Would imagine that very few people in the apartments are registered to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I know this is going to sound a bit strange (before this year I had very little interest in politics) but could someone give me a rough idea how transfers work?

stvdiagram.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The worrying thing for me is that FG dont have a city candidate running this time and it sent out a message that he is more concerned about the county vote rather than the city which dosent bode well for the city if they get to power

Just my opinion

Who is more concerned about the county vote?
    ryanf1 wrote: »

Eh, maybe if you read my previous posts you'd see that I did try with this particular canvasser, and as I said out of the three that called the one that was most likely to get my vote didnt engage and has therefore lost my vote.

And as I've already said they should be the ones asking me if I have any questions about their candidate or letting me know their policies- I'm not the one going for the job.

Sorry I didn't finish my post very well - I noticed you did attempt and your not the first person with that complaint. Iv heard a small few people comment that a canvasser wasn't able to engage when quizzed. Sorry, was commenting in general :)
    I assume you have to live in town or a housing estate to get a visit from a politician? I've yet to see one near my place.
    Think i'll vote no. 1 Joe Tobin then give every indepedent a vote there after even though im sure most will be long gone by the time it filters down. I suppose Halligan is the only one that might pick it up.
    merlante wrote: »
    Has anyone in an apartment building been canvassed? I haven't.

I know some of them are not accessible, but others are. More and more of the population are living in medium density accommodation, but are the politicians staying away?

What apartments? Most are very difficult to get access to as the main door is always locked. If nobody is on the register for the apartments, I would imagine you wont have any candidate calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What apartments? Most are very difficult to get access to as the main door is always locked. If nobody is on the register for the apartments, I would imagine you wont have any candidate calling.

Just a stand alone house a couple of miles outside city center and i am registered.

Come on now Sully:D Are you reading my posts.....Deasy!!

And I'm still waiting for Paudie to call.

As a lifelong FG voter I'm beginning to get the feeling that the candidates they've put forward in this consituency are more intersted in the county vote.

They've been propping up Coffey in the City with a constituency office located here for quite a long time and most press releases and statements released by the party in the City are accredited to him. FG won't have any problem getting the city vote.

AdMMM wrote: »
    They've been propping up Coffey in the City with a constituency office located here for quite a long time and most press releases and statements released by the party in the City are accredited to him. FG won't have any problem getting the city vote.

Would still have preferred a city man......but I'd be more inclined to vote for Coffey over the other(s).

Sure shouldn't we be moving on from that sort of stuff........so Amanda said anyway

Come on now Sully:D Are you reading my posts.....Deasy!!

And I'm still waiting for Paudie to call.

As a lifelong FG voter I'm beginning to get the feeling that the candidates they've put forward in this consituency are more intersted in the county vote.

Paudie has been canvassing and working hard in the City, for a long time now. He has his constituency office in the heart of Waterford for example. He has done an awful lot of covering for both the City and County. Various different leaflets over the years, canvassing, etc. was done in both locations.

So its unfair to say FG are only focused on the county, there has been a huge amount of work in the city.

As for not being canvassed - Not every estate has been covered as of yet. The election is over a week away - a lot of ground to be covered and a large amount of campaign teams are trying to get as much done as possible. I'm fairly confident your estate will be canvassed soon.

I am unaware what Deasy strategy is, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Canvassers for Paudie Coffey covered Viewmount last Saturday, canvassers for John Deasy called here on Monday night and were in Grantstown Village and Mount Pleasant last night.

Someone from the Greens called on Saturday, plus I've had a number of independents call in the last few days.

Some seem to be working their way out from town and others working their way in towards town.

I read on some post somewhere that you can phone a candidate's office and find out when your area is being canvassed if you want to make sure you're at home when they call. Pity I didn't do that with nipple head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

This looks like being an interesting one from a results point of view. If I was a betting man I'd put it at:

1. Deasy - Safe
    2. Coffey - Safe
    3. Seamus Ryan
    4. Kenneally (just about)

FG will certainly get the two seats. Labour put their seat a great risk by putting in two candidates, but I think Ryan will get enough. Kenneally will duke it out with the likes of Cullinane. The staunch lifelong FF supporter in Ardmore, Lismore and the likes will see the FF logo and put his mark beside it. Should sneak him in.

Personally I'm not inspired by any of our candidates, very poor group.

FG - Deasy would appear to have brains, but then he seems to make very poor judgement calls and regularly attempt career suicide. Coffey seems genuine, but his expenses are massive.

Labour - Could have managed their election better. Should have seen O'Shea's retirement coming.

SF - Cullinane looks like a creep. I'm not a republican and coming from a business background I find their economic proposals highly amusing. Thats before you go into the morals of the likes of Adams.

Halligan - Seems to have no genuine policies, appears to be a general spoofer. More interested in organising welfare payments etc for a certain district of the city, and probably does a good job for them. A decent counciller, but not TD material.

Rest of the independants and others - actually like the cut of Jody Power. Appalled by the Green Party's behaviour of late, but he looks like he'd make a good Cllr. Might get a 2nd or 3rd preference.

Paudie has been canvassing and working hard in the City, for a long time now. He has his constituency office in the heart of Waterford for example. He has done an awful lot of covering for both the City and County. Various different leaflets over the years, canvassing, etc. was done in both locations.

So its unfair to say FG are only focused on the county, there has been a huge amount of work in the city.

As for not being canvassed - Not every estate has been covered as of yet. The election is over a week away - a lot of ground to be covered and a large amount of campaign teams are trying to get as much done as possible. I'm fairly confident your estate will be canvassed soon.

I am unaware what Deasy strategy is, sorry!

I'm sure you're right but my point about not having a city based candidate is once elected will they give the city the same priority. Until he calls to my door I wont have answers to this query.

I dont have access to the radio in work so I dont get the local debate other than what's on TV which is mainly national- so my only point of contact with these candidates is when they call to my door.

By the way I live in the Lower Grange area if that helps as to when they will be in that area.

Like I said I'm a FG voter but my vote this time will be given a lot more thought than other elections given the current state of the country

I really dont give a monkey's about national policies

What I'm concerned about is the jobs crisis in Waterford and why we are consistently ignored in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

hardybuck wrote: »
    Coffey seems genuine, but his expenses are massive.
    He partly explained his high expenses here:
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mheykfauoj/
    Halligan - Seems to have no genuine policies, appears to be a general spoofer. More interested in organising welfare payments etc for a certain district of the city, and probably does a good job for them. A decent counciller, but not TD material.
    A few pages back I asked a question does anyone know what this guy's policies are. Do you know what they are, coz I don't. I've seen his flyer and there's not one policy on it. I heard him on the radio the other day with 4 other Waterford candidates, he was repeating the same crap on his flyer about topping the local election poll twice - who cares about that, only proves he's popular in his ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

He partly explained his high expenses here:
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mheykfauoj/

Personally I don't think that really explains much. Basically he is saying that he opted for an option that allowed him to rack up more expenses as long as he had receipts to back them up. Article also made an error with their figures towards the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Coffey seems genuine, but his expenses are massive.

I dont know what his expenses for the seanad are but from 2004 till he resigned in 2007 his expenses for junkets with the council were €9,240.77 for conferences at home (I.E. within the 26 counties) and €1,779.63 for conferences abroad, a total of €11,020.40, which is a higher sum than a number of councillors that have sat on the council from 2004 to 2010 inclusive.

A few pages back I asked a question does anyone know what this guy's policies are. Do you know what they are, coz I don't. I've seen his flyer and there's not one policy on it. I heard him on the radio the other day with 4 other Waterford candidates, he was repeating the same crap on his flyer about topping the local election poll twice - who cares about that, only proves he's popular in his ward.

Jackie Healy-Rae and Michael Lowry mark 3 if he is elected. Do we want that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Jackie Healy-Rae and Michael Lowry mark 3 if he is elected. Do we want that.
    That's what I was thinking, he seems to be nothing but local issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I have to say I agree with you there. His leaflet doesn't mention one jot on policy and I also heard him on DriveTime where he, again, didn't outline any policy. It feels like a Local Election campaign on a grander scale to me but I fear that it'll work. As the Independent with the highest profile, he'll get votes from the " they're all the same, I'm voting Independent" brigade which isn't going to help the country one bit IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Are we going to get a local poll in any local newspaper to get a flavour of whats going on?? You would think that somebody would have done this by now :rolleyes:

there's no money in the local media for polls!

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I have to say I agree with you there. His leaflet doesn't mention one jot on policy and I also heard him on DriveTime where he, again, didn't outline any policy. It feels like a Local Election campaign on a grander scale to me but I fear that it'll work. As the Independent with the highest profile, he'll get votes from the " they're all the same, I'm voting Independent" brigade which isn't going to help the country one bit IMO.

There was a lad on with Billy McCarthy this morning, did not catch his name as i only heard the end of the interview and who was on with Ian Noctor earlier in the week seems to have some idea of what is been asked of a TD standing as an independent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Margarmur

Was always a Fine Gael voter - family and all that but lately have kept an open mind on who I will vote for.

So far I've had three canvassers to my door

1st one was from John Deasy - basically his rep just handed me the flyer, asked would I remeber him turned on his heels and walked off - didnt want to outline any policies etc - sorry John you've lost my vote

2nd was Brendan Kenneally's rep - nice man gave a good 5minutes taliking to me- answered a lot of questions and left a good impression - unfortunately the man he's representing wouldnt go down too well with me

3rd was a rep for Sinn Fein and as much as it galls me to say it so far they have left the best impression on me - again gave a good 5 minutes - talked up his candidate and basically I felt that he had the right issues and concerns at heart - so might have to consider going against my beliefs and give them a 1st preference

So far havent received or heard anything from Paudie Coffey, or any of the Labour candidates and basically if noone calls thay wont get my vote

I Really cant understand how people can vote for sinn fein. They are definately the amateur bunch in this election. There telling people what they want to hear and not been honest with people. The reality is there is pain ahead. John Gormley said it the other night that been in government its like been in a straight jacket. Some decisions have already been made for you and even if it goes against the grain the decision had to be taken for the good of the country. Sinn Fein cannot answer why they are going to get the money to run the country for next few years. They are talking about using the pension reserve fund ! They are quoting that there is 7bn when in fact there is only 4bn. Our population is growing older and the pressure this will have on the state will be massive. This fund needs to be left alone for the purpose it was built for. Sinn fein in effect want to tell the IMF to leave and where will that leave us. They want to burn the bond holders (whilst this sounds great in theory if we do this we will be ruined for many years from borrowing funds from this source.) And they are anti Europe. And if anytime we need europe it is now. I know people are frustrated by the demise of our economy please dont be radical with your vote. Think with your head not your feet!

If you are voting for the good of your country you will not vote Sinn Fein. They are so many other holes i could put into their fantasy policies. Most of which are not achieveable.

Advertisement