Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

hardybuck wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. Good looking people generally do better in interviews, and receive more favourable treatment from their superiors and co-workers. Dozens of studies have shown this.

By the 'cut' of Jody, keeping my business hat on, I like his CV. He is well educated, well travelled and has decent amount of work experience on local commitees.

People were only delighted to criticise how Cowan looked, and yes it did reflect badly on us on an international level. Similarly with Kenneally's ear mentioned earlier here.

Fair enough about Jody Power if you're talking about his Cv but you didn't make that clear in your post. Not so sure about all those studies though. If correct it says a lot about how shallow people are. Dosen't give people who are not 'good looking' much of a chance.

But I'd bet for every good looking successful person I'd say there are an equal or greater number who are not classed as good looking...whatever that is supposed to be. A bit like defining 'normal'. Who are normal and who decides that.

I prefer to go on someones record and judge them on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Speaking of 'record', the fact that several SF heavyweights have records of acriminal nature is another reason I couldn't vote for them. And before you go on about the troubles etc, their association to certain groups of an illegal nature went on too long.

Long story short, they appeal to many, but not for me. I'm not in their target market anyway. I haven't ever seen even a SF flier in my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

A few pages back I asked a question does anyone know what this guy's policies are. Do you know what they are, coz I don't. I've seen his flyer and there's not one policy on it. I heard him on the radio the other day with 4 other Waterford candidates, he was repeating the same crap on his flyer about topping the local election poll twice - who cares about that, only proves he's popular in his ward.

I really don't think that a single Independent candidate would have the resources to produce policy documents on the same level of detail as the main parties, who lets not forget, use taxpayers money to help produce theirs. An Independent simply can't compete with the big players when it comes to policy development and would be showed up immediately if they even tried. An Independent needs to play to their strengths if they are to stand a chance of being elected.

I think by referring to topping the poll twice, he's establishing that in Local Government, you don't survive unless you're well capable and those that he represents must think that he is. He polled almost 50% more votes than Seamus Ryan and I think around 2 and a half times than David Cullinane in the Locals so I think it says a lot for the standard of the other candidates if those that they represent in their constituency (what should be their bread and butter) don't even think they're the best person to represent them.

Instinctively, I'd lean towards supporting Labour, but I think their candidates in Waterford are absolutely atrocious and a vote for either of them would be like voting for Kenneally in that they would contribute as much as he has in his time in Government.

I don't think I'm being selfish when I say that I want our Deputies to represent Waterford well. I believe one of the reasons why Waterford is left in the dust when compared to the likes of Limerick and Galway is because we've had representatives who were only too happy to roll over and bow down to every wish of their party while not being respected enough to have any influence on party policy. I'm worried Ryan and Conway are these types of people while my main concern with Sinn Fein is that they will waste their time advocating their own fundamentally flawed policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

AdMMM wrote: »
    I think by referring to topping the poll twice, he's establishing that in Local Government, you don't survive unless you're well capable and those that he represents must think that he is. He polled almost 50% more votes than Seamus Ryan and I think around 2 and a half times than David Cullinane in the Locals so I think it says a lot for the standard of the other candidates if those that they represent in their constituency (what should be their bread and butter) don't even think they're the best person to represent them.

I think you've just made the point people have made while criticising John. I think everyone is in agreement that John is very effective as a local representative and dealing with local issues. That's the issue. He seems to be running on a platform to "stand up for Waterford". He may not like it, but that kind of rhetoric immediately puts people in mind of Healy-Rae and Lowry - politicians who are only out for their own area and not for the good of the country. This is supposed to be the election where politics in Ireland is reformed and this would feel like a step backwards.

I personally think that this will play well with lots of Waterford people and that he'll be in with a right shout for the last seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Saw kenneally's gang out canvassing last night. They looked like they had got a mauling at the doors. Heads down, dragging their feet. Serves them right

They'll get a mauling if they come to my fcuking door! €100k in negative equity, friends emigrating, etc. They shouldn't be asking for votes - they should be asking for forgiveness! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Breaking news chance to spot the rare big spotted kennealy species in Waterford city today as ff master Martin is heading into town today, blas and champagne at the ready so for our honoured guests.

decies wrote: »
    Breaking news chance to spot the rare big spotted kennealy species in Waterford city today as ff master Martin is heading into town today, blas and champagne at the ready so for our honoured guests.

Where are they due to appear decies?

Mouldy blaas and Clonmel champagne I hope! :D Along with rotten tomatoes!

Might go down town meself since I'll be finished work... go and roar abuse!

By the way, Newstalk has this from Dr Adrian Kavanagh:
    Newstalk wrote:
    Waterford (4-seats): Employing a “burnt earth” strategy, and with Martin Cullen having retired from politics, Fianna Fáil are just running the remaining incumbent, Brendan Kenneally. But whether Kenneally can pull a sufficient level of the old Cullen or Wilkinson vote to hold his seat remains to be seen. The “spare” seat is likely to be claimed by Fine Gael’s Paudie Coffey, while Labour’s Ciara Conway may edge out running mate, Seamus Ryan, in the contest to replace the retiring Brian O’Shea. The second placed Labour candidate, along with Sinn Féin’s David Cullinane, will challenge Kenneally for the final seat. Transfers could edge this last seat towards Culllinane.

Fine Gael and Sinn Féin gains, two Fianna Fail losses – Deasy FG, Coffey FG, Conway LB, Cullinane SF.

Potential surprise package: It will be interesting to see if any of the independents, especially councillors such as John Halligan, Joe Conway or Tom Higgins, can make a breakthrough here.

He seems to be a guy who knows his stuff, so I'm a little surprised at his predictions. First of all, I can't see FF losing both seats (of course I hope they do, but hope is not analysis!), and secondly, I can't see Ciara Conway getting in ahead of Seamus Ryan.

I suppose the picture will only start to be clear by tomorrow week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I don't place much faith in the analysis of local constituencies by the national media as they really don't know enough information to make even a half-decent educated guess. I'd say Adrian has been told of one of the party's internal poll in Waterford that has FF polling at 11% which is what has made him predict a big FF loss. I think if Conway polls ahead of Ryan after Labour split their vote, Halligan will be elected shortly after the distribution of Ryan's transfers.

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »
    I think if Conway polls ahead of Ryan after Labour split their vote, Halligan will be elected shortly after the distribution of Ryan's transfers.

A much better analysis in my view. Maybe 2FG, 1FF (I just cannot see them melting down that much!) and Halligan?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

A Kennealy on the loose in Waterford, you say? I think I'll take the dogs and hunt him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Guramoogah wrote: »
    A Kennealy on the loose in Waterford, you say? I think I'll take the dogs and hunt him down.

Don't forget to take off their muzzles and make sure they're hungry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chicoreece

deisemum wrote: »
    Don't forget to take off their muzzles and make sure they're hungry ;)

Grow up fools! This forum is for discussing politics and policies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

fricatus wrote: »
    A much better analysis in my view. Maybe 2FG, 1FF (I just cannot see them melting down that much!) and Halligan?

Cullinane.

Halligan is not known outside the city. There is a considerable SF Support. Brendan Mansfield has it for Dungarvan Town Council and the County Council and your man in the Tramore area for the County Council (Cant think of his name) and if this support transfers to Cullinane then he could do well with what he has in the city, even if that was down somewhat in the last local election. He may well have plenty of support in other wards. Were there unsuccessful canditates in the other two wards who may be able to get their supporters to row in behind Cullinane.

chicoreece wrote: »

Just a few people showing themselves up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chicoreece

Has anyone seen this?
    http://www.votomatic.ie/

Apparently I'm "hard to please, but you are closest to the Labour Party"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Welcome back. Your multiple other accounts were sitebanned, and this one will be also.

We get it your a Fianna Fail supporter but just be honest about it. You could have just got involved in discussions, debated fairly, and not have multiple accounts spreading your party love across Boards.

G'Luck.

Has anyone seen this?
    http://www.votomatic.ie/

Apparently I'm "hard to please, but you are closest to the Labour Party"

So am I and there is not a cats chance in hell that i would vote labour. Would rather see Ian Paisley and Maggie Tatcher come and try and do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Deise Tom wrote: »
    So am I and there is not a cats chance in hell that i would vote labour. Would rather see Ian Paisley and Maggie Tatcher come and try and do the job.
    I'm labour aswell. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Funny how it doesn't reflect the national mood atm! I would query that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

according to that votomatic thing "You are compatible with the Labour Party. You are also close to Fine Gael."

Curious result because along the way I answered questions that would probably have put me at odds with those parties. A conspiracy theorist might posit that the whole thing is a FG/Labour ploy to garner votes :p Then again, maybe I'm more right wing than I thought.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I'm labour aswell. :)

They must have hijacked the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Sully wrote: »
    Funny how it doesn't reflect the national mood atm! I would query that tbh.

I got -16 for Sinn Fein so that part is pretty accurate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

hardybuck wrote: »
    Speaking of 'record', the fact that several SF heavyweights have records of acriminal nature is another reason I couldn't vote for them. And before you go on about the troubles etc, their association to certain groups of an illegal nature went on too long.

Long story short, they appeal to many, but not for me. I'm not in their target market anyway. I haven't ever seen even a SF flier in my area.

I have no intention of going on about troubles etc I'm not in that space. I mearly responded to your original post about good looking people and other comments. I'm not supporting or defending any party's position here. I'm just disappointed that people make judgements on how someone looks.

No more no less than that

I got -16 for Sinn Fein so that part is pretty accurate :D

They must have every member of the Party a member of boards.ie and voting in the on line election with the amout of people they are telling us will be elected.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    They must have every member of the Party a member of boards.ie and voting in the on line election with the amout of people they are telling us will be elected.

I'd say a more accurate reason would be their higher levels of support among young people. And while the numbers seem high in some places - Waterford for example - the national results aren't far off the polls. It's hard to say whose support is overstated on boards, only that FF's is the most understated.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'd say a more accurate reason would be their higher levels of support among young people. And while the numbers seem high in some places - Waterford for example - the national results aren't far off the polls. It's hard to say whose support is overstated on boards, only that FF's is the most understated.

I can see them get more seats than most think, in the region of 35-40, which could well be more than what labour say they will get and were even saying Eamon should be Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I think it's a possibility that FG will form a Govt with FF, crazy as it seems but FF won't poll anywhere near as badly as people think. I'm worried that the FG-Labour relationship will be badly damaged if the cheap political tactics between these two parties continue. The most favourable Govt imo is FG lead with a couple of independents of real calibre, thus leaving a credible Govt and opposition.

• Advertisement

I think it's a possibility that FG will form a Govt with FF, crazy as it seems but FF won't poll anywhere near as badly as people think. I'm worried that the FG-Labour relationship will be badly damaged if the cheap political tactics between these two parties continue. The most favourable Govt imo is FG lead with a couple of independents of real calibre, thus leaving a credible Govt and opposition.

It wont happen. FF and FG coalition is not on the cards. Nor will it be put on the cards. Its something FG have been very strong about, compared to some of the other parties (excluding Sinn Fein).

Advertisement