Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why not (Joe) Conway?

How ya getting that info btw re:speaking time. Is there an easy way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    Why not (Joe) Conway?

How ya getting that info btw re:speaking time. Is there an easy way?

I don't know anything about the chap and haven't been canvassed or even received any literature from him yet.

Yeah it's handy out. Think Adam put up the link before. Just go to http://www.kildarestreet.com/ and go down through Dáil or Seanad or whatever you're looking for. Deasy's record on speaking time is less than impressive too but his written questions answered figure is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

always voted FG but this year I wont be.

Useless self righteous campaign, they think they are already in Gov' abd are already behaving like the worst of FF!! As liek above fellas dropping leaflets in letterboxes and not even knocking.

Id rather spoil my vote than vote for em which is a shame as I was brought up a FG man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

What do you consider when you are picking a candidate to vote for?

Who's everyone else supporting?
    Who's cool?
    ABFF? (Anyone but Fianna Fail)
    You just know him/her?
    Party manifesto
    What they can do for me?
    Local issues?
    Election promises?
    They bothered calling to my door and convinced me
    They were the only ones to call to my door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

A strange one here. My college project is based around this election and the marketing communications of the candidates. I've been gathering up the litir um thogchain's that have been sent around so far and just want to check off the list:

John Deasy: yes
    Paudie Coffey: yes
    Brendan Kenneally: no
    Seamus Ryan: yes
    Ciara Conway: yes
    John Halligan: no
    David Cullinane: yes
    Joe Conway: no
    Jody Power: yes
    Joe Tobin: no
    Justin Collery: yes
    Declan Waters: yes
    Gerard Kiersey: no
    Ben Nutty: no
    Tom Higgins: no

They're all the candidates who I think I've received the letter from. Is there anyone that I'm missing?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

AdMMM wrote: »
    A strange one here. My college project is based around this election and the marketing communications of the candidates. I've been gathering up the litir um thogchain's that have been sent around so far and just want to check off the list:

John Deasy: yes
    Paudie Coffey: yes
    Brendan Kenneally: no
    Seamus Ryan: yes
    Ciara Conway: yes
    John Halligan: no
    David Cullinane: yes
    Joe Conway: no
    Jody Power: yes
    Joe Tobin: no
    Justin Collery: yes
    Declan Waters: yes
    Gerard Kiersey: no
    Ben Nutty: no
    Tom Higgins: no

They're all the candidates who I think I've received the letter from. Is there anyone that I'm missing?

No thats all 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Deise Tom wrote: »
    No thats all 15
    Meant to say that that's the list of all 15 but beside their names says whether or not I've received anything from them.

What letter is that Adam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Margarmur

Horribly wrong. The most recent of which was that he was the biggest player by far in retaining the 24 hour coast guard service by hounding Noel Dempsey over it's importance. Tell me I'm wrong? I'm a supporter of any man that does something which is close to my heart. He's a local TD, not a national TD, that has been well documented, and the reason he is being tipped to still get elected is because he has done many "smaller" things such as helping people seeking council housing, or helping those looking for grant aid on insulating their homes. Being FF would simply not be enough to get him over the finish line, but having personally helped hundreds if not thousands at micro level over the past 20 years should.

He's getting my number one because he has delivered for me before and I believe he'll deliver for me again.

Kenneally is a work horse. Mightn't be Mr Personality but works feriously hard. There is a big anti kenneally sentiment presence here. He has worked as hard if not harder than O'Shea. What does it matter how many times he s talked in the Dail. Do we want a polished speaker or someone who is willing to put the work in. He did the work quietly by using his ministerial colleagues to get things done and is known within FF to be very upfront with his dissatisfaction of certain decisions made over the past few years. You only have to look around Waterford and see What Kenneally along with Cullen delivered.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Nah I saw the posters Adam is referring to and I'm with him on it. They look very much like a rush job and his reasoning makes complete sense. Kenneally has no personal accomplishments to stand over and he also doesn't have any real popularity locally due to the anti-FF backlash and his ineffectiveness so he'll try to associate himself with the bright new hope for FF to try to glean some credibility from that association.

Would really love to see him lose his seat. Three fresh TDs sounds good to me.[/QUOTE

So a poster would win your vote????

• Advertisement

Brendan Kenneally, Ciara Conway and Paudie Coffey on Six-One in the next few minutes.

Why did BBC not get a better spot to film at today. Waterford did not look well. All that could be seen was a big old craine in the back ground. At least RTE outside Reginalds Tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Margarmur wrote: »
    Kenneally is a work horse. Mightn't be Mr Personality but works feriously hard. There is a big anti kenneally sentiment presence here. He has worked as hard if not harder than O'Shea. What does it matter how many times he s talked in the Dail. Do we want a polished speaker or someone who is willing to put the work in. He did the work quietly by using his ministerial colleagues to get things done and is known within FF to be very upfront with his dissatisfaction of certain decisions made over the past few years. You only have to look around Waterford and see What Kenneally along with Cullen delivered.

Kenneally worked hard for Waterford? Verifiable examples please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Kenneally live outside reginalds tower coming up on news six one. Wheres deisemum?

Agree 100% with Brendan's work load. Not everyone can be like the likes of John Halligan who has an opinion on everything and the solution to very little, like a number of people. As you say a lot of his work is done behind the scenes and without looking for notice. Those that know him know that he is always available to meet if the need me and WLR are always saying that when they look for him he always makes himself available if he can at all.

old gregg wrote: »
    Kenneally worked hard for Waterford? Verifiable examples please.

HAve a look at the Waterford Constituency of the Fianna Fail Website and see what was delievered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,665 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would love to see John Halligan get in. was at a number of events for him and he is really working hard and promises a lot of great things but if he doesnt get (**** it life goes on lol )

Kennealy worst td Waterford has had for years even the ff,ers don't like him. I met Martin manseargh last week in tipp , I just happen to mention kennealy , his eyes just glazed over.

decies wrote: »
    Kennealy worst td Waterford has had for years even the ff,ers don't like him. I met Martin manseargh last week in tipp , I just happen to mention kennealy , his eyes just glazed over.

Well thats a complete lie. I actually know Martin. And he was telling me he chaired the Waterford convention. He was full of praise for Brendan and ask me to give him my no 1 to him. Martin is known to be a very good personal friend of Brendan s. Manseargh is such a gentleman and is the type when asked to do something will do it quietly , get the work done and not make a big song and dance about it. Its actually funny reading your comment because if it was anyone else other than mansearagh it could be credible but there s not a bad bone in the man s body and even if he didn't like an individual he wouldn't let it be known. Even the opposition in Tipp find it hard to speak ill of him.

And telling you he didn't bat a eyelid when I mentioned kennealy , his canvasing friend was mire interested in talking about the ind candidate in Waterford who was fine Gael . And retract that calling me a lier crack while your at it !!!

Who said anything about wanting a polished speaker? His record in the Dáil shows that he wasn't active there. He wasn't working on our behalf. I honestly don't know how you can try to defend him!

So a poster would win your vote????

Keep putting words in my mouth why don't you! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Link to the 6.1 feature, from about 23 minutes in: http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1092260

Daysha wrote: »
    Link to the 6.1 feature, from about 23 minutes in: http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1092260

Sharon looking well there! :D

Pretty sure you can catch a glimpse of Sully walking by The Bull Post in the Coffey clip. Labour believe there are possibly two seats for them? I know you have to talk up your chances but that's ridiculous! Interesting that Tiernan reckons the last three seats might be filled with nobody reaching the quota. He didn't make any mention of what chances he thinks Kenneally has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Well thats a complete lie. I actually know Martin. And he was telling me he chaired the Waterford convention. He was full of praise for Brendan and ask me to give him my no 1 to him. Martin is known to be a very good personal friend of Brendan s. Manseargh is such a gentleman and is the type when asked to do something will do it quietly , get the work done and not make a big song and dance about it. Its actually funny reading your comment because if it was anyone else other than mansearagh it could be credible but there s not a bad bone in the man s body and even if he didn't like an individual he wouldn't let it be known. Even the opposition in Tipp find it hard to speak ill of him.

Martin Mansergh is a consummate liar, he was tight with Charlie Haughey and Bertie "what bank account?" Ahern and it looks like the South Tipp FF'ers will swallow any oul twaddle from him. He's also quite possibly the biggest spoofer the fianna fail party have, even Vincent Browne dosen't take him on any way seriously.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    HAve a look at the Waterford Constituency of the Fianna Fail Website and see what was delievered.
    I'm not the one who has made a wild claim. If Margarmur can prove what they are saying then fine, else it's just untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Daysha wrote: »

"Like confetti at a deise wedding, they're gonna go everywhere"

.....what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Even the opposition in Tipp find it hard to speak ill of him.

Mansearagh has no credibility since he told an opposition politician to respect their betters when he questioned the Bertie Ahern payments.

Just watched the second feature where she spoke with Coffey, Ciara Conway and Kenneally. Don't think Ciara Conway came across very well. She appeared very nervous and stuttered and stumbled a lot. Likewise with Kenneally, thought I don't know if he has a slight stammer or what. He was always going to have a hard time trying to defend his time in government where he did nothing for us. Coffey did well again. Always seems confident when speaking. Did only give a roundabout answer in relation to fishing but that was always going to be the way!

"Like confetti at a deise wedding, they're gonna go everywhere"

.....what?

Yeah he threw out some great ones alright. Even Sharon took the piss out of him at the end!

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Would love to see John Halligan get in. was at a number of events for him and he is really working hard and promises a lot of great things but if he doesnt get (**** it life goes on lol )
    Met him today for the first time, only politician to call in person. Nice guy and he deserves to do well I reckon, based on pure subjectivity on my part.

The psychology of how we warm to one person and not another becomes interesting around election time politics aside :)

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »

What has he promised,

Advertisement