Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Even Sharon took the piss out of him at the end!
    Ah sure, you're besotted with Sharon ... like the rest of us :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Just watched the second feature where she spoke with Coffey, Ciara Conway and Kenneally. Don't think Ciara Conway came across very well. She appeared very nervous and stuttered and stumbled a lot.

She has not a cats chance of been elected so it there is no need to worry about her doing the same in the Dail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Deise Tom wrote: »
    She has not a cats chance of been elected so it there is no need to worry about her doing the same in the Dail.

Is that the feeling in the county Tom? Thought someone said they heard she might outpoll Ryan, which I thought unlikely myeslf. Just checked Paddy Power there and she's gone out to 6/4 while Ryan has come in to 1/2 so they would seem to agree with you.

Is that the feeling in the county Tom? Thought someone said they heard she might outpoll Ryan, which I thought unlikely myeslf. Just checked Paddy Power there and she's gone out to 6/4 while Ryan has come in to 1/2 so they would seem to agree with you.

I have heard people that she represents on the Town Council say that she would be not even near their number ones. I would say apart from the Dungarvan/Abbeyside areas she is an unknown and will get very few votes, apart from the Labour die hards and from those that feel they have to vote for a woman.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Margarmur wrote: »
    Well thats a complete lie. I actually know Martin. And he was telling me he chaired the Waterford convention. He was full of praise for Brendan and ask me to give him my no 1 to him. Martin is known to be a very good personal friend of Brendan s. Manseargh is such a gentleman and is the type when asked to do something will do it quietly , get the work done and not make a big song and dance about it. Its actually funny reading your comment because if it was anyone else other than mansearagh it could be credible but there s not a bad bone in the man s body and even if he didn't like an individual he wouldn't let it be known. Even the opposition in Tipp find it hard to speak ill of him.

Mod Note

Hi,
    Looking at your posts, your trolling and electioneering for Fianna Fail. As were many others who signed up various accounts and who were swiftly banned. I ask you to stop before you are shown the door also.

I know its desperate times which call for desperate measures, but stop.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This was the RTE News interview in Waterford with FG Paudie Coffey, Lab Ciara Conway and Fianna Fail managed to make an appearance with Brendan Keneally.

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0221/media-2911045.html

About fishing industry and jobs. Maybe its my political ties, but I didn't feel Lab or FF put in a good performance. In fact, Keneally was shockingly poor and gave a ****e answer to the University status.

Sully wrote: »
    This was the RTE News interview in Waterford with FG Paudie Coffey, Lab Ciara Conway and Fianna Fail managed to make an appearance with Brendan Keneally.

About fishing industry and jobs. Maybe its my political ties, but I didn't feel Lab or FF put in a good performance. In fact, Keneally was shockingly poor and gave a ****e answer to the University status.

Nah my political bias wouldn't make me lean towards FG and I said above that I thought Coffey was the best of the three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sully wrote: »

Just looking at the body language there and it is quite apparent that there has been a powershift. Had this interview taken place a year or so ago, Keneally would have been the prime interviewee.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Deise AM debate with candidates on right now .......sorry it's Q and A

Deise AM debate with candidates on right now .......sorry it's Q and A

We have to get at least two new canditatesin Waterford and from what i have heard anyway there is none of them standing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Joe Tobin attempting to bluff his way through the farming question was many peoples highlight of the night. Overall, many of the politicians were critical of the format of the night with only 2 or 3 members of the panel being allowed to respond to questions and the time-limit didn't allow anyone to either shine or to hang themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

stickysten wrote: »
    really hope john halligan does get voted in, i think in this election a lot of people will be looking to what a counciller can do locally as opposed to what he can do nationally, halligan is very well regarded in the city, and very approachable and you know hes not in it for the money, and does an awful lot for the people in the city but its as you said he mightnt be well known in the county, deasy is well known country wide for gods sake (and hes still the only politician to call to my door) I for one will be staying away from FF/FG

Not in it for the money! Yeah right. Check out salary and expenses for hallihans year as mayor and include free car too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Make A Stand

A question asked by letter writer to Irish Times yesterday.
    do you think it right that the ordinary citizen should pay for the misktakes of bankers and investors?
    It would appear that 100% of voters consider this policy unjust and unfair yet 70% of us (if the polls are correct) intend to vote for parties that will continue to burn the citizens of this country.
    I didn't ask for this robbery of the Irish people to be carried out and I don't see why we have to spend the next considerable number of years paying for it.
    If you're one of this 70% then please dont spend the next four years complaining about increased taxes and charges!!

I have decided just today to change my vote and I urge all voters to consider very carefully who they will vote for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Here's my boards.ie vote, not looking good for any of them :o

I expect next Friday will be no different

1. Joe Tobin
    2. Justin Collery
    3. Joe Conway
    4. Gerard Kiersey
    5. Declan Waters
    6. Ben Nutty
    7. Jody Power

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Would love to see John Halligan get in. was at a number of events for him and he is really working hard and promises a lot of great things but if he doesnt get (**** it life goes on lol )

Promises, promises. As an independent he will have no influence at national level at all. He was asked by Mary Wilson on Drivetime a week or so ago would he be the next Jackie healy Rae or Micheal Lowry and he said no way. So in his own words he won't do any deals in a hung Dail (if there is one) so again only empty promises..would anyone believe them.

Parish pump politics...get rid of it and think netionally and more to the point think about all the cuts in your pocket for the next 5 or 6 years before you vote on Friday

A question asked by letter writer to Irish Times yesterday.
    do you think it right that the ordinary citizen should pay for the misktakes of bankers and investors?
    It would appear that 100% of voters consider this policy unjust and unfair yet 70% of us (if the polls are correct) intend to vote for parties that will continue to burn the citizens of this country.
    I didn't ask for this robbery of the Irish people to be carried out and I don't see why we have to spend the next considerable number of years paying for it.
    If you're one of this 70% then please dont spend the next four years complaining about increased taxes and charges!!

I have decided just today to change my vote and I urge all voters to consider very carefully who they will vote for

Couldn't agree with you more. But make no mistake the 70% who vote on Friday to 'burn themselves' will be the ones who complain loudest when its too late.

Like you I urge 70% or so of people to reconsider which party they vote for.

Okay, I'll bite.
    Not in it for the money! Yeah right. Check out salary and expenses for hallihans year as mayor and include free car too.

How else is a Mayor meant to promote the City? Every reception, every photograph, every public initiative costs money. This is what the expenses go on, the community. Not himself. As for the car, the car was provided for free by Tom Murphy and John didn't get the Council to pay the €1,000 to secure the W 1 reg, unlike previous and successive mayors.
    So in his own words he won't do any deals in a hung Dail (if there is one) so again only empty promises..would anyone believe them.

He said he won't be the next Jackie Haely-Rae i.e. hold the Government to ransom and jeopardise the future of the state. That does not mean he can't work with others (be it as part of a technical working group with other independents or as the Sunday Independent suggested, with a FG-led Government) where they have something in common to fight to secure available funding for Waterford that it has been lacking over the past number of years. If you think we have been adequately funded, then I ask of you where is our university and where are our high-tech jobs in the IDA? Waterford has fallen behind the curve because of poor representation and the likes of Brendan Kenneally sitting in the backbenches nodding his head (or nodding off) and John is campaigning to be that voice we have lacked.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Joe Tobin attempting to bluff his way through the farming question was many peoples highlight of the night. Overall, many of the politicians were critical of the format of the night with only 2 or 3 members of the panel being allowed to respond to questions and the time-limit didn't allow anyone to either shine or to hang themselves.

At least he admitted his knowledge was not the best. However how he would expect to get votes in rural areas without having a knowledge of farming etc is kind of amazing. Maybe he expects to be getting enough votes in the city and not rely on the people in the country.

Are the city expenses published annually. They are in the Dungarvan papers for the county councillors.

Okay, I'll bite.

How else is a Mayor meant to promote the City? Every reception, every photograph, every public initiative costs money. This is what the expenses go on, the community. Not himself. As for the car, the car was provided for free by Tom Murphy and John didn't get the Council to pay the €1,000 to secure the W 1 reg, unlike previous and successive mayors.

He said he won't be the next Jackie Haely-Rae i.e. hold the Government to ransom and jeopardise the future of the state. That does not mean he can't work with others (be it as part of a technical working group with other independents or as the Sunday Independent suggested, with a FG-led Government) where they have something in common to fight to secure available funding for Waterford that it has been lacking over the past number of years. If you think we have been adequately funded, then I ask of you where is our university and where are our high-tech jobs in the IDA? Waterford has fallen behind the curve because of poor representation and the likes of Brendan Kenneally sitting in the backbenches nodding his head (or nodding off) and John is campaigning to be that voice we have lacked.

I agree that Waterford has suffered badly at the hands of successive FF governments and as for kenneally just ask anyone from the glass about how useless he was when help was needed by those workers. The people that went before him wern't much better if at all.

On Halligan what i,m saying is that he can call for all the funding he likes if elected to the dail but it will have absoutly no effect whatsoever. A voice in the wilderness...just like all the other independents over the years that didn't 'hold the Government to ransom' as you put it. They mearly sat in a seat in the dail and kept it warm whenever they bothered to turn up.

The system we have doesen't allow any independent to have the slightest influence unless they hold the balance of power and you know that as well as I do. This idea of 'independents' is nice but for most of the time a complete waste of a vote.

With the best of intentions Halligan won't deliver a university, high tec jobs, more houses, reverse social welfare cuts, stop any future cuts, have any effect on any of this stuff whatsoever. I'm not having a cut of John or any independent I'm just pointing out the obvious. It's just the way it is in this country.

As for expenses the records are there for years if anyone wants to check them out. nuf said

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Are the city expenses published annually. They are in the Dungarvan papers for the county councillors.

Yeah every year. However it usually takes a Freedom of Information request from the media to get the figures.

Yeah every year. However it usually takes a Freedom of Information request from the media to get the figures.

Have not seen them published anyplace for the general public to see and go through. As i say the Dungarvan papers do it regurly. The Observer printed them two weeks ago.

The Munster carried them this year I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

Not in it for the money.
    Just take two candidates from the city council and former mayors.In 1999 when Halligan and Ryan got elected to the city council it was an unpaid job.Yes they worked for the people that elected them for free.
    The "free car is sponsored" doesnt cost the people.
    The salary is set down each year for the mayor.The mayor doesnt get a blank cheque book for expenses.
    someone can correct me if im wrong but i think all mayor receptions are paid for out of the mayors salary and city receptions are made by the city council.
    insight_man do you know how much money each mayor raised for local charities?

Not sure which debate your talking about but there was one for the IFA in Dungarvan last week. I hear that John Halligan didn't turn up at that. Anyone know if thats true. If it is maybe he thought better of it rather than face farmers questions like Joe Tobin and not bluff like you say Tobin did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What are Kenneallys chances like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

Halligan seems to be getting great feedback off young people and evidence of this is on facebook account. the hits on this page everyday is unreal. john also seems to have support of emigrants abroad according to the picture in the news and star this week!
    Personally believe an independent would be good for Waterford. Be nice to have a change from the big 3 parties, something we didn’t have in 20 years!

ryanf1 wrote: »
    What are Kenneallys chances like?

If he gets in the region of the percentage FF are at in the national polls, I fear he'll be ok. If he's two or three percentage points below that, I think he could be in for a fight, considering he won't be getting a whole lot of transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Trenchman

But just to clarify,we're all in agreement that Brendan is completely useless,right? I mean he's been practically invisible for the last 15 years.
    I think he's in for a real fight,it's only the diehard vote that could possibly get him over the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Trenchman wrote: »
    But just to clarify,we're all in agreement that Brendan is completely useless,right? I mean he's been practically invisible for the last 15 years.
    I think he's in for a real fight,it's only the diehard vote that could possibly get him over the line.

Oh aye, UTTERLY useless. All he's good for is scooping up loads of expenses.

Advertisement