Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Gardner wrote: »
    Halligan seems to be getting great feedback off young people and evidence of this is on facebook account. the hits on this page everyday is unreal. john also seems to have support of emigrants abroad according to the picture in the news and star this week!
    Personally believe an independent would be good for Waterford. Be nice to have a change from the big 3 parties, something we didn’t have in 20 years!

Ah but sure John is the perfect candidate in your eyes seeing as you've been pimping him for the last four or five months. Your post history tells your story. I don't think anyone is fooled into thinking you're anything other than a Halligan shill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Ah but sure John is the perfect candidate in your eyes seeing as you've been pimping him for the last four or five months. Your post history tells your story. I don't think anyone is fooled into thinking you're anything other than a Halligan shill.
    did ya go meet gerry yesterday in ur celtic jersey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MagicMcGrath

Personally believe an independent would be good for Waterford. Be nice to have a change from the big 3 parties, something we didn’t have in 20 years! [/FONT][/SIZE]

An independent would be of no use to Waterford. He'd sit in the corner gathering dust as if Enda would listen to him, FG will have their own agenda and do you really think John Halligan will have a say? Doubt you do seeing as John said himself he wouldn't be working with FG, end of.
    as for kenneally just ask anyone from the glass about how useless he was when help was needed by those workers.

So where was the MINISTER for Waterford Martin Cullen. Clearly this was something he had the most power to deal with. Pointing finger at wrong person in raising this issue and everyone knows it.
    AdMMM wrote: »
    Waterford has fallen behind the curve because of poor representation and the likes of Brendan Kenneally sitting in the backbenches nodding his head (or nodding off) and John is campaigning to be that voice we have lacked.

Tell me this out of curiosity, do you think John Halligan would have retained the 24 hour coast guard helicopter? Would love to hear your stance on this....
    Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note

Hi,
    Looking at your posts, your trolling and electioneering for Fianna Fail. As were many others who signed up various accounts and who were swiftly banned. I ask you to stop before you are shown the door also.

I know its desperate times which call for desperate measures, but stop.

Thanks.

Hang on now, you're saying this to him/her and you are clearly by far the most biased person here towards your party FG with you talking them up and talking down FF. Nice to see your well up on your justice too. What a joke.
    This was the RTE News interview in Waterford with FG Paudie Coffey, Lab Ciara Conway and Fianna Fail managed to make an appearance with Brendan Keneally.

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0221/media-2911045.html

About fishing industry and jobs. Maybe its my political ties, but I didn't feel Lab or FF put in a good performance. In fact, Keneally was shockingly poor and gave a ****e answer to the University status.

Again, here you go. FF managed to put in an appearance?? But sure so did LAB and FG. They all "managed" to put in an appearance. What answer would Paudie Coffey give on the University status? The truth like Kenneally did I'd imagine. We all want it regardless of Hunt report, and whoever in govt. would keep trying for it. Now I'll apologize to you if FG deliver a Uni to Waterford, but you know damn well they won't, so your comment on this was very redundant.

In the interest of fairness I think you should be writing a mod note to yourself to stop your electioneering of FG. By the end of it you'd have to write a mod note to every 2nd comment on this thread RE: the same.

Trenchman wrote: »
    But just to clarify,we're all in agreement that Brendan is completely useless,right? I mean he's been practically invisible for the last 15 years.
    I think he's in for a real fight,it's only the diehard vote that could possibly get him over the line.

Unfortunately not all Trenchman. There are a couple of people on here who still think he's worth a vote. I can't understand it myself but they're as entitled to vote as I am so their opinion counts too.

did ya go meet gerry yesterday in ur celtic jersey?

Nice. Glad to see you have a reasoned, constructive argument to lend to the discussion. Seriously, look through every single post you've made in relation to the General Election and you'll see that you've added nothing to the topics, except to shill Halligan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Hang on now, you're saying this to him/her and you are clearly by far the most biased person here towards your party FG with you talking them up and talking down FF. Nice to see your well up on your justice too. What a joke.

Never thought I'd be defending Sully :p He's been around these parts donkeys years whereas you've been registered for about 3 weeks and 16 of your 17 posts have been on THIS THREAD. Talk about a one trick phony...sorry pony.

Also, what ever gave you the idea that mods have to be impartial and unbiased? Take it up with a category mod if you want but I'd say they'd be taking a closer look at your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Tell me this out of curiosity, do you think John Halligan would have retained the 24 hour coast guard helicopter? Would love to hear your stance on this....

I don't think that it's a coincidence that on the day that a meeting was due to take place in the Tower Hotel organised by John and with the support of the entire City Council and various other bodies, that it was suddenly announced that the 24 hour coast guard service would be retained. There was also a Facebook campaign which I believe attracted over 10,000 supporters in a very short space of time.

This is what put pressure on Brendan Kenneally to act. Ideally he would have liked to have rolled over and continue in his slumber but it was the fire under his arse that signified the very real possibility of the eradication of Fianna Fail that made him finally represent those that he was elected to represent. Lets not forget that this proposed move only came into public knowledge through leaked documents and would have been something that Brendan would have been aware of, or at least should have been aware of given it was happening in his constituency!

It was the Waterford people that saved the 24 hour coast guard service, not Brendan Keneally. This I am sure of.

Never thought I'd be defending Sully :p He's been around these parts donkeys years whereas you've been registered for about 3 weeks and 16 of your 17 posts have been on THIS THREAD. Talk about a one trick phony...sorry pony.

Also, what ever gave you the idea that mods have to be impartial and unbiased? Take it up with a category mod if you want but I'd say they'd be taking a closer look at your account.

Number of posts makes no difference. I post on what I'm interested in. So that comment was no good.

Never said they do, but it's an eye for an eye and his comments were no different from those of Maragmur. They can look at my account all they like if I had decided to, you're idea of whoever posts the most is an elitist system, very progressive that is. I wonder does that affect your political views??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Number of posts makes no difference. I post on what I'm interested in. So that comment was no good.

Never said they do, but it's an eye for an eye and his comments were no different from those of Maragmur. They can look at my account all they like if I had decided to, you're idea of whoever posts the most is an elitist system, very progressive that is. I wonder does that affect your political views??

Mod Note

If you have a problem, take it up with myself or the other mods over PM. We are sick of political shills signing up multiple accounts, shouting down everyone else and pushing one view only - sorry, but thats not me. Iv an interest in politics, member of Fine Gael and most people here know thats as I am open about it. But ill take most peoples views on board, unless there completely stupid.

A lot of party and candidate supporters are regulars on these parts, for years, and its never been an issue or been an issue amongst ourselves.

Just take my comment on board, and move on with the discussions. Otherwise, take it to PM

I don't think that it's a coincidence that on the day that a meeting was due to take place in the Tower Hotel organised by John and with the support of the entire City Council and various other bodies, that it was suddenly announced that the 24 hour coast guard service would be retained. There was also a Facebook campaign which I believe attracted over 10,000 supporters in a very short space of time.

This is what put pressure on Brendan Kenneally to act. Ideally he would have liked to have rolled over and continue in his slumber but it was the fire under his arse that signified the very real possibility of the eradication of Fianna Fail that made him finally represent those that he was elected to represent. Lets not forget that this proposed move only came into public knowledge through leaked documents and would have been something that Brendan would have been aware of, or at least should have been aware of given it was happening in his constituency!

It was the Waterford people that saved the 24 hour coast guard service, not Brendan Keneally. This I am sure of.

Ah give me a break. It was known before hand that it would be retained. The work by Kenneally had been done before that and the meeting had nothing to do with reversing dempseys decision. Plain and simple, Kenneally hounded Dempsey, fought for what was right, won, and people like you who have anti FF sentiment refuse to believe it.

• Advertisement

Mod Note

If you have a problem, take it up with myself or the other mods over PM. We are sick of political shills signing up multiple accounts, shouting down everyone else and pushing one view only - sorry, but thats not me. Iv an interest in politics, member of Fine Gael and most people here know thats as I am open about it. But ill take most peoples views on board, unless there completely stupid.

A lot of party and candidate supporters are regulars on these parts, for years, and its never been an issue or been an issue amongst ourselves.

Just take my comment on board, and move on with the discussions. Otherwise, take it to PM

Firstly, I have one account, and one account only so would like it if you could refrain from instigating I have otherwise.

My views have not been completely stupid, they've been very reasonable and truthful.

I am not pushing one view. From the off I've said who I think would get elected, and then opted to correct people when they have been wrong on Kenneally because nobody else has the balls to defend him. One other person did, but again got told off....

Politics is not for the faint hearted, but my god you've got to be fair about it.

Ah give me a break. It was known before hand that it would be retained. The work by Kenneally had been done before that and the meeting had nothing to do with reversing dempseys decision. Plain and simple, Kenneally hounded Dempsey, fought for what was right, won, and people like you who have anti FF sentiment refuse to believe it.
    I'm just going to put a question to the everyone who reads this thread.

Who actually believes that response that I have quoted?

Who actually believes that the public outcry had no affect on Kenneally?
    Who actually believes that Brendan Kenneally was acting in the interests of the people rather than the interests of his party in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Trenchman wrote: »
    But just to clarify,we're all in agreement that Brendan is completely useless,right? I mean he's been practically invisible for the last 15 years.
    I think he's in for a real fight,it's only the diehard vote that could possibly get him over the line.

Agreed. But for the last 15 years FF has been useless unless your a banker or developer making loads of money so only those should vote for him. Ordinary people shouldn't support him but some will. I think hes in for a fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

What happened to John Cummins?
    I remember he ran last elections but haven't seen any posters round the town for him this year.
    He was in the background on TV3 when Edna Kenny was speaking around two weeks ago.

I honestly think that if they ran John Cummins this time around, they would have prevented FF from being elected and would have themselves a prime City based candidate for the next election. It's all very well saying this now though because at the time of nomination and selection, Fianna Fail looked to be comfortably retaining a seat and a 3-man ticket would have been seen as risky by FG.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What happened to John Cummins?
    I remember he ran last elections but haven't seen any posters round the town for him this year.
    He was in the background on TV3 when Edna Kenny was speaking around two weeks ago.

John Cummins is a City Councillor, and ran in the last Local Election.

He is not and never was a candidate for the General Election. :)

I honestly think that if they ran John Cummins this time around, they would have prevented FF from being elected and would have themselves a prime City based candidate for the next election. It's all very well saying this now though because at the time of nomination and selection, Fianna Fail looked to be comfortably retaining a seat and a 3-man ticket would have been seen as risky by FG.

Isn't Higgins supporting FG?

Who actually believes that Brendan Kenneally was acting in the interests of the people rather than the interests of his party in Waterford?

Not me!

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Nice. Glad to see you have a reasoned, constructive argument to lend to the discussion. Seriously, look through every single post you've made in relation to the General Election and you'll see that you've added nothing to the topics, except to shill Halligan.

Sorry I agree with above. Cant think what I was doing there. Apologies to nkay1985

Of course the response you quoted is nonsense! Of course it was the public opinion that forced him to act. And of course Kenneally cares only firstly about himself, then about FF and not about the people he's supposed to represent.

But let's just say that Kenneally was responsible for the retention of the coast guard helicopter, you'd have to ask why the plan was allowed to get that far in the first place.

And even if you decided that this was through no fault of his, then why should he be applauded? He was just doing his job - representing the people of Waterford. Is it because seeing him actually doing something would be such a shock to us all? Where was he when the Waterford Crystal workers needed help, as another poster mentioned? To say that Martin Cullen was in a better position to help is true, but that doesn't mean Kenneally couldn't have rowed in. Even if he just put pressure on Cullen to act it would have been something! How someone can try to defend him beggars belief!

Yeah totally agree on this but it would have been way too big a risk when they were deciding their strategy. They absolutely had to secure two seats down here and two candidates would have seemed the safer bet at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Are you serious!? It was Kenneally's gang that wanted to get rid of it!! It was not Kenneally who saved that service, it was the thousands of people in the South East who emailed the minister, campaigned, screamed and shouted.

ANY politician who takes credit for that is scraping the barrell in a major way and must be having trouble finding achievements to wave under the nose at those they "represent".

Incidentally.. Of the many mails I sent to different politicians at that time, Kenneally was the ONLY one who didnt mail me back.

There is no way Kenneally deserves any credit for saving that service. None. I'll say it again.. It was his gang that wanted it gone.

Trotter wrote: »
    Are you serious!? It was Kenneally's gang that wanted to get rid of it!! It was not Kenneally who saved that service, it was the thousands of people in the South East who emailed the minister, campaigned, screamed and shouted.

ANY politician who takes credit for that is scraping the barrell in a major way and must be having trouble finding achievements to wave under the nose at those they "represent".

Incidentally.. Of the many mails I sent to different politicians at that time, Kenneally was the ONLY one who didnt mail me back.

There is no way Kenneally deserves any credit for saving that service. None. I'll say it again.. It was his gang that wanted it gone.

It was the department of transport who wanted to cut the service, not rid of it so you're wrong straight away there. And then putting the party aside, from an individual point of view he argued it with Dempsey and was successful. Don't let anyone else tell you different. Of course there were campaigns etc, but they were only soundbites, Dempsey wasn't going to listen to them. It took a colleague to force the issue. And I know my facts on this one so don't try preach to me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

It was the department of transport who wanted to cut the service, not rid of it so you're wrong straight away there. And then putting the party aside, from an individual point of view he argued it with Dempsey and was successful. Don't let anyone else tell you different. Of course there were campaigns etc, but they were only soundbites, Dempsey wasn't going to listen to them. It took a colleague to force the issue. And I know my facts on this one so don't try preach to me otherwise.

I know my facts also so Im not preaching. FF wanted to get rid of the night time service. Its a word game that wouldnt really come into mind at 3am when a trawler is 80 miles off the south coast taking on water.

Here's a fact.. The minister stated that the new helicopters could fly at night and in fog. The minister was doing this in order to back up his position which was to cut the service. Those of us living on the doorstep of the airport know full well that the S61 flies at night and in fog.

You think 27,703 people registering a protest on an online group to be a soundbite the minister didnt take an interest in?

Im done with this one anyway.. Its a pointless argument. FF tried to cut the service and people power won.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

In the interest of fairness I think you should be writing a mod note to yourself to stop your electioneering of FG. By the end of it you'd have to write a mod note to every 2nd comment on this thread RE: the same.

I dont think Mods should be commenting in sections they are in charge of. How can you be fair if you do, especially in the political sections etc and more over if you are involved with a party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Firstly, I have one account, and one account only so would like it if you could refrain from instigating I have otherwise.

My views have not been completely stupid, they've been very reasonable and truthful.

I am not pushing one view. From the off I've said who I think would get elected, and then opted to correct people when they have been wrong on Kenneally because nobody else has the balls to defend him. One other person did, but again got told off....

Politics is not for the faint hearted, but my god you've got to be fair about it.

I would be interested to hear what Brendan Kenneally has done since he entered politics. Namely, what has he done for the Country first and the Region second.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I dont think Mods should be commenting in sections they are in charge of. How can you be fair if you do, especially in the political sections etc and more over if you are involved with a party.

I think you are asked to be a mod based on your interest/number of posts in particular thread/forums otherwise it'd be a chore to keep an eye if your not interested in the subject.

As for the interesting story in todays paper about someone involved in politics being apprehended based on counterfeit cigarettes. I've done a bit of digging and found out who it is. Without naming him, I can tell you that it's one of the people in the following photo: Boxing_280.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I think you are asked to be a mod based on your interest/number of posts in particular thread/forums otherwise it'd be a chore to keep an eye if your not interested in the subject.

Maybe so, i am not going to argue with you on how you become a mod. I do however think they should be bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

But if they had no bias or opinion they wouldn't be posting or interested in the forum an therefore wouldn't become a mod get me?

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »

They're only acting as mods when moderation is needed. All other times they're a normal poster like you or I. With regard to his mod note, that's a moderation issue. As has been said, if there's a problem with a mod decision, you take it up via PM or with the category mod.

Advertisement