Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Hoffmans wrote: »
    will anything change with some new regiem getting in,,,,,,,,,,,

Its an interesting point but what do you ACTUALLY mean when you pose this question??

Our deficit and economic problems will still remain, but we will have a government with a mandate to administer the medicine required to fix the problem.

One big issue after the next election will be just how powerful and big a party Fianna Fail remains.
    If a party that bankrupts an entire country can get in excess of 20% to vote for it, then i believe there is no hope for our future. It means that one day they will be returned to office and then they will do it ALL OVER AGAIN!

FF needs to be wiped out!! end of story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Its an interesting point but what do you ACTUALLY mean when you pose this question??

Our deficit and economic problems will still remain, but we will have a government with a mandate to administer the medicine required to fix the problem.

One big issue after the next election will be just how powerful and big a party Fianna Fail remains.
    If a party that bankrupts an entire country can get in excess of 20% to vote for it, then i believe there is no hope for our future. It means that one day they will be returned to office and then they will do it ALL OVER AGAIN!

FF needs to be wiped out!! end of story!

TOO RIGHT! DOWN WITH FIANNA FAIL!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Is there a realistic Alternative. Are Fianna Fail simply the best of a bad lot.

YES THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE TO FIANNA FAIL!!

There is an alternative to cronyism, corruption and un-principled politics!! There is an alternative to the "Galway Tent"!

The rainbow govt provided SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC GROWTH. They were the FIRST ever govt to provide a BUDGET SURPLUS!!

They handed over this country in fine fettle! They put in place policies that reduced unemployment! They abolished WATER CHARGES and COLLEGE FEES!!

But of course that wasnt good enough for some people!!!

In 1997 FF basically saw an opportunity to squander the resuts of the economic growth created by the Rainbow Government, and have just kept on squandering it beyond all reason to now leave us with a €50bn overdraft!!! AND BOY ARE WE PAYING FOR IT!!!!!!

YES THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE TO FIANNA FAIL!!

There is an alternative to cronyism, corruption and un-principled politics!! There is an alternative to the "Galway Tent"!

The rainbow govt provided SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC GROWTH. They were the FIRST ever govt to provide a BUDGET SURPLUS!!

They handed over this country in fine fettle! They put in place policies that reduced unemployment! They abolished WATER CHARGES and COLLEGE FEES!!

But of course that wasnt good enough for some people!!!

In 1997 FF basically saw an opportunity to squander the resuts of the economic growth created by the Rainbow Government, and have just kept on squandering it beyond all reason to now leave us with a €50bn overdraft!!! AND BOY ARE WE PAYING FOR IT!!!!!!

Why were not one of the three parties involved in the Rainbow Colition not returned since 1997 if they were so good.

I am not saying that FF are the best, they are not by a long way, but FG, Lab and was it DL who have since joined LAB that formed the Coalition in the mid 90's, had three chances to stasy in power or get back to power since 97 and have failed on each occasion.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Why were not one of the three parties involved in the Rainbow Colition not returned since 1997 if they were so good.

I am not saying that FF are the best, they are not by a long way, but FG, Lab and was it DL who have since joined LAB that formed the Coalition in the mid 90's, had three chances to stasy in power or get back to power since 97 and have failed on each occasion.

they failed because people were fooled by BERTIE AHERN!! THOSE SAME PEOPLE ARE PAYING THE PRICE NOW!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Hoffmans wrote: »
    will anything change with some new regiem getting in,,,,,,,,,,,
    The only difference between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael is the Civil War. They're both ideologically similar and the biggest difference in their policies often seems to be the buzzwords associated with them.

Is Ireland somewhat unique in that its two biggest parties are pretty much the same dot on the political compass?

they failed because people were fooled by BERTIE AHERN!! THOSE SAME PEOPLE ARE PAYING THE PRICE NOW!!!!

There must be a lots of fools so in Ireland. Is that what you are saying. IS everyone that voted FF since 1997 a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

now i have been swung theres a 2kg block of cheddar on the way for xmas...:pac:

FF what a shower they are , i suggest hauling up the 56 tons of cheddar with one of those obselete giant cranes and dropping it on the dail carpark
    right on top of the state mercs and beemers ,no harm if the ministers are still in them:cool: drop it on em..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

AdMMM wrote: »
    The only difference between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael is the Civil War. They're both ideologically similar and the biggest difference in their policies often seems to be the buzzwords associated with them.

Is Ireland somewhat unique in that its two biggest parties are pretty much the same dot on the political compass?

No, look how Labour and the Conservatives have morphed into one another, the Republicians and Democrats are nearly the same in the US, so no not really ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Waterford really needs to grab the next general election as an opportunity to put things right.

We wont have strong candidates until the party HQ's realise that underperforming TDs get the boot in Waterford.

There will always be a certain number of FF members/supporters who will ask us to support them blindly, because of their own locked in loyalty. That comes from their own personal closeness and loyalty to the FF organisation first.

My loyalty will be to the candidates who will represent the people of Waterford best.. regardless of my family voting 'history'.

I still think we need one strong independent TD with excellent communication skills who knows Waterford business and culture best. That person should come from the Waterford business community.. theres lots of them there that would fit the bill. We'll have 3 other party TDs that will be held by the whip system. We need one independent who is business focussed and well able and willing to speak in national media for Waterford.

Trotter wrote: »
    Waterford really needs to grab the next general election as an opportunity to put things right.

We wont have strong candidates until the party HQ's realise that underperforming TDs get the boot in Waterford.

There will always be a certain number of FF members/supporters who will ask us to support them blindly, because of their own locked in loyalty. That comes from their own personal closeness and loyalty to the FF organisation first.

My loyalty will be to the candidates who will represent the people of Waterford best.. regardless of my family voting 'history'.

I still think we need one strong independent TD with excellent communication skills who knows Waterford business and culture best. That person should come from the Waterford business community.. theres lots of them there that would fit the bill. We'll have 3 other party TDs that will be held by the whip system. We need one independent who is business focussed and well able and willing to speak in national media for Waterford.

The last candidate the business people in Waterford threw their weight behind was Martin Cullen and we all know how that turned out!! The policies that he helped frame, support and IMPLEMENT have destroyed our economy, and in turn have destroyed lives and many businesses.

The man who paid Monica in excess of 1000 EURO PER DAY to do work that a civil servant was already being paid handsomely to do, was seen as being good for business and getting value for your taxes and rates!!! What a laugh!!!

The last thing we want is more of the same, narrow-minded, parochial sh!t that sees the likes of Cullen, Lowry, Healy Rae, O'Dea and others elected just because they are very good at fooling people into thinking that they are great at looking after the constituency needs!!

Trotter wrote: »
    I still think we need one strong independent TD with excellent communication skills who knows Waterford business and culture best. That person should come from the Waterford business community.. theres lots of them there that would fit the bill.

Any suggestions as to who would be interested.

The last candidate the business people in Waterford threw their weight behind was Martin Cullen and we all know how that turned out!! The policies that he helped frame, support and IMPLEMENT have destroyed our economy, and in turn have destroyed lives and many businesses.

The man who paid Monica in excess of 1000 EURO PER DAY to do work that a civil servant was already being paid handsomely to do, was seen as being good for business and getting value for your taxes and rates!!! What a laugh!!!

The last thing we want is more of the same, narrow-minded, parochial sh!t that sees the likes of Cullen, Lowry, Healy Rae, O'Dea and others elected just because they are very good at fooling people into thinking that they are great at looking after the constituency needs!!

Who should we be putting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Any suggestions as to who would be interested.

I've no idea who'd be interested to be honest. There's lots of good people who'd do us proud though.

But not many making the right noises right now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The High Court has given two members of Fine Gael permission to challenge the Government's failure to call by-elections in Waterford and Dublin South.

The High Court has given two members of Fine Gael permission to challenge the Government's failure to call by-elections in Waterford and Dublin South.

The court granted applications by Senator Paudie Coffey, Fine Gael's candidate in Waterford, and Michael Van Turnhout, the constituency chairman in Dublin South, for permission to take the challenges.

The proceedings arise following the judgment of the High Court President Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns in a successful case taken by Sinn Féin Senator Pearse Doherty relating to the Donegal South-West by-election.

The seat in Waterford has been vacant since Martin Cullen resigned on 8 March this year.

The seat in Dublin South has been vacant since George Lee's resignation on 8 February.
    Senior Counsel Frank Callinan said they were anxious to have the case heard as early as possible.
    The proceedings will be mentioned before the High Court President on Thursday when Mr Doherty's case is also due to be mentioned.

Lawyers for the State have indicated they will lodge an appeal against the Doherty judgment with the Supreme Court immediately after the matter is mentioned.

They said the Government intended to seek an early hearing in the Supreme Court.

Lawyers for Fine Gael told the court that a letter from the Chief State Solicitor conceded that the delay in calling the by-elections in Waterford and Dublin South was unreasonable as the letter said the Government would not require that issue to be determined by the Court.

Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1108/elections.html

That was fairly quick, I thought it might be a good while before the case was heard. Still, wonder what the judgement will be. I expected the Donegal one would simply be "We cant do or say anything in the courts" so perhaps a different judge may go against the tide. One hopes not anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

hope they get a result!
    seeing the regiem in power are appealing the decision last week,
    i wonder who gave them the mandate to go ahead and squander even more taxpayers fiction.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

It disgusts me the waste of tax payers money, first of all to get these cases to the high court, but then the government spending hundreds of thousands more of it appealing the rulings.

Really sick of this country now.

It disgusts me the waste of tax payers money, first of all to get these cases to the high court, but then the government spending hundreds of thousands more of it appealing the rulings.

Really sick of this country now.

Especially where there is no need for a bye election in the first place. Its a referendum that people should be looking for, so that we can get rid of most of the TDs, Could the amount of Councils we have and cut the amout of Councillors we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11567&Itemid=1&ed=1079

Ind Cllr John Halligan declares for bye/general election. Can`t see him doing too well outside the city although he has a clinic in Tramore so he should get some reward for that.

So far we have:

Cllr Joe Conway (IND)
    Cllr John Halligan (IND)
    Sen Paudie Coffey (FG)
    Cllr David Cullinane (SF)

Is there a green or FF or Lab candidate selected yet for bye election yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

more clinics in Passage East, Cheekpoint, Dunmore East and up as far as Kilmac!
    trust me its going to be one exciting election!
    id say Halligan will be about 5/1 for a seat, well worth a punt because its going to be very close!

roll on the general election!

MoodRacer wrote: »
    http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11567&Itemid=1&ed=1079

Ind Cllr John Halligan declares for bye/general election. Can`t see him doing too well outside the city although he has a clinic in Tramore so he should get some reward for that.

So far we have:

Cllr Joe Conway (IND)
    Cllr John Halligan (IND)
    Sen Paudie Coffey (FG)
    Cllr David Cullinane (SF)

Is there a green or FF or Lab candidate selected yet for bye election yet?

I would say if he wants to make himself know to the people of Ireland its not just Tramaore and Dungarvan that Halligan will have to be visititing and getting to know people. Its no secret that large built up areas are often supporters of the union parties and would be easy for him to canvas these areas, but there is alot of other areas within the county as well, places that the likes of Paudie Coffey would be well known or at least people would know his record. The same could be said of David Cullinane but to a lesser extent. If the likes of John Halligan wants to be elected then he has to get off his ass and out of the large population areas and get into the lesser populated areas and get to know the people. These people have a vote as well and it could be these votes that could prove the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

If the government merges the City and County councils, I wonder how this would affect the election.

dayshah wrote: »
    If the government merges the City and County councils, I wonder how this would affect the election.

in what way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 not_well

I heard on the grapevine that one of Martin O'Regan's sons in running, the gay fella lol, not seen anything in the papers about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

one sick joke and ur name says it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 not_well

serioulsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Isn't this bye-election a waste of time, and will be merely like a trial run for the inevitable general election which will take place shortly after?

I think for this general election people should not vote for a candidate like last time (Martin Cullen) in the hopes they will deliver for Waterford. I think we should vote for what will be best for the country, rather than for ourselves. Whatever happens we won't have someone in a cabinet position like Cullen.

FF - pure scum, they won't be in the next government, so any vote for a FF candidate is wasted and I would go so far as to say unpatriotic.

FG - the only party imo that can get the country back on track as unlike other parties they have some good concrete policies to do so. Some decent FG candidates in Coffey and Deasy. They won't get cabinet positions but they will be members of the main government party. Best way to vote imo. FG said they would give university status to WIT.

Labour - as a party they are not good for the country if they were to be the main party in power, with constant populist stances and sitting on the fense on various issues (e.g. Croke Park Agreement), and a lack of any real policies to fix the mess we're in. At least they said they would give university status to WIT.

Independents - what's the point. They have local interests that are not going to be heard anyway. We need someone working for the country, not our county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

anyone know when the supreme court case is going to be, the gov appealing seems to delay any progress in the byelections cases

Advertisement