Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

P.S. Anyone feel that Waterford was completely overlooked by the RTE coverage? I watched most of it, as well as the TV3 and TG4 coverage, and I only saw one Waterford count being shown. Even the news ticker across the bottom of the screen hardly showed Waterford at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

P.S. Anyone feel that Waterford was completely overlooked by the RTE coverage? I watched most of it, as well as the TV3 and TG4 coverage, and I only saw one Waterford count being shown. Even the news ticker across the bottom of the screen hardly showed Waterford at all.

There wasn't a first count until about half 8 or 9pm. Everybody was left in the dark as to the delay, people were clapping and shouting to get the returning officer to hurry on etc. After that, it was about half 2 before Paudie Coffey was elected. I think an hour later for Ciara Conway and maybe a little less for John Halligan. So nothing was really happening in Waterford to comment on.

But someone did interview Paudie at half 2, I just cant seem to locate it on the RTE Player (It was an RTE crew) in the RTE Election special around half 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Sully wrote: »
    There wasn't a first count until about half 8 or 9pm. Everybody was left in the dark as to the delay, people were clapping and shouting to get the returning officer to hurry on etc. After that, it was about half 2 before Paudie Coffey was elected. I think an hour later for Ciara Conway and maybe a little less for John Halligan. So nothing was really happening in Waterford to comment on.

But someone did interview Paudie at half 2, I just cant seem to locate it on the RTE Player (It was an RTE crew) in the RTE Election special around half 2.

I was watching until after 3 but must have missed Paudie. What the hell was going on with the count anyway. Were they using an abacus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

8am in the morning to 8-9pm at night without a 1st count. Dublin South and South East had double our votes and still delivered.

I know nothing about Deasy so I asked my parents who said 'He has looked after alot of people'... What every that means.

Also said the same for Kennelly......good man to know!

Sill very surprised at Cullinane, everybody I knew was giving him some kind of a vote.

Just goes to show what you have to do to get in with the people of this area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Found it;
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1092701

Count announced for Paudie at 2.09sh and the interview around 2.20sh.

As for the delay - apparently there were "missing" votes, 2,000 is the figure I heard. Didn't match what tallys had. I think they double checked and were then sure the tally people got it wrong, who some hadn't a clue what they were at anyway. But, for some reason, they then had a problem with having less votes then their records.

So it was an absolute mess and no communication from the returning officer at all.

Its fantastic to see Paudie get so close to John Deasys vote, for Fine Gael in Waterford. A little over a thousand first preferences between them. Shows we have two very strong FG candidates here, and its a figure that can only improve. Just need to accept junior ministerial positions when offered, and not refuse when offered. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deisemum wrote: »
    I was in Australia during the last election and the news readers could not pronounce Fianna Fáil so kept calling them Fianna Fail.

I once heard an American try and say Seamus. They kept saying Sea-Mus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Margarmur

Sully wrote: »
    Found it;
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1092701

Count announced for Paudie at 2.09sh and the interview around 2.20sh.

As for the delay - apparently there were "missing" votes, 2,000 is the figure I heard. Didn't match what tallys had. I think they double checked and were then sure the tally people got it wrong, who some hadn't a clue what they were at anyway. But, for some reason, they then had a problem with having less votes then their records.

So it was an absolute mess and no communication from the returning officer at all.

Its fantastic to see Paudie get so close to John Deasys vote, for Fine Gael in Waterford. A little over a thousand first preferences between them. Shows we have two very strong FG candidates here, and its a figure that can only improve. Just need to accept junior ministerial positions when offered, and not refuse when offered. :rolleyes:

Would like to wish Paudie all the best. One of the nicest guys in Fine Gael. A gentleman out and out. I would love to see him get a junior minsterial position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

In fairness, none of our candidates are high profile.

Dún Laoghraire has Gilmore, Richard Boyd Barret, Mary Hanafin, Ivana Bacik, and Barry Andrews.

Dublin West has Joan Burton, Joe Higgins, Leo Varadker, and Brian Lenihan.

The only Waterford politician with a national profile was Cullen. Deasy got headlines for smoking a fag about 7 years ago, that's about all he has achieved.

I hope the newly elected will be able to achieve a high profile. Conway is a bit of a wild card, and I'd expect Coffey is the most likely to get some sort of Junior Ministry. I'd like to see how Halligan performs. Joe Higgins is far left, but has a national profile because he is a good speaker. Maybe Halligan can do something similar. Halligan might align himself with the ULA to get a technical group, I don't know how deep the internecine far-left Trotskyist/Stalinist divisions run with him. Anyway he has a good moustache, so that's good for the TV.

Hopefully Waterford will be more interesting for RTÉ in the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Sully a glass of champagne for our friend ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

Margarmur wrote: »
    There is two sides to this story which i only heard the other side last night. I would suggest that you stop because if you dont legal action will be taken against you. how many of your neighbours speak to you! dont need an answer. I wont be speaking any more on this issue.

only legal action you will be seeing margarmur is ur buddy in court caught with 70k of fags!

please take this in a nice way .......... f**k off!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

dayshah wrote: »
    In fairness, none of our candidates are high profile.

Dún Laoghraire has Gilmore, Richard Boyd Barret, Mary Hanafin, Ivana Bacik, and Barry Andrews.

Dublin West has Joan Burton, Joe Higgins, Leo Varadker, and Brian Lenihan.

The only Waterford politician with a national profile was Cullen. Deasy got headlines for smoking a fag about 7 years ago, that's about all he has achieved.

I hope the newly elected will be able to achieve a high profile. Conway is a bit of a wild card, and I'd expect Coffey is the most likely to get some sort of Junior Ministry. I'd like to see how Halligan performs. Joe Higgins is far left, but has a national profile because he is a good speaker. Maybe Halligan can do something similar. Halligan might align himself with the ULA to get a technical group, I don't know how deep the internecine far-left Trotskyist/Stalinist divisions run with him. Anyway he has a good moustache, so that's good for the TV.

Hopefully Waterford will be more interesting for RTÉ in the next election.

Completely disagree with you there. Waterford is the 5the largest city in the country.

It also has been one of the hardest hit by the recklessness of Fianna Fail.

The candidates might not be as high profile as some of their Dublin or Cork counterparts but they are going to have their work cut out for them on getting the most for the city

We didnt deserve the lack of coverage that was given in what turned out to be one of the more intruiging outcomes

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Completely disagree with you there. Waterford is the 5the largest city in the country.

The candidates might not be as high profile as some of their Dublin or Cork counterparts but they are going to have their work cut out for them on getting the most for the city

We didnt deserve the lack of coverage that was given in what turned out to be one of the more intruiging outcomes

RTÉ is a national broadcaster. They are always going to cover the big names. People outside of Dun Laoghaire have an interest in whether Mary Hanafin gets in or not. People outside of Waterford will have no real interest as to whether its Ryan or Conway that get's in, they are just interested in the party numbers.

Also, as someone else mentioned, the counts were given fairly late. Not much action was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Margarmur

Gardner wrote: »
    only legal action you will be seeing margarmur is ur buddy in court caught with 70k of fags!

please take this in a nice way .......... f**k off!!

No mate of mine and i want a apology or i will be going further about. the cheek of you. I would suggest to the moderators that this post is removed or i will be taking action against this site.

No mate of mine and i want a apology or i will be going further about. the cheek of you. I would suggest to the moderators that this post is removed or i will be taking action against this site.

You mean the 'log off' button?

Mod Note

Do you threaten legal action against everyone who tells you to "F**** off"?

Legal threats often result in sitebans, so I would suggest stopping while your ahead. The modertors have already responded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

There is two sides to this story which i only heard the other side last night. I would suggest that you stop because if you dont legal action will be taken against you. how many of your neighbours speak to you! dont need an answer. I wont be speaking any more on this issue.

Bring on the legal action then. The detectives in the drugs unit in Ballybricken can confirm what I've posted as can members of the city council. I get on very well with my neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

deisemum wrote: »
    Bring on the legal action then. The detectives in the drugs unit in Ballybricken can confirm what I've posted as can members of the city council. I get on very well with my neighbours.

Go Deisemum. Stick up for yourself and area. At least hes gone fro the dail now

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

jimbojazz wrote: »

RTE ignores waterford just like FF did foe years. I mean from a constituency that had a FF minister and Kenneally a while ago to no FF and 2 FG plus Independent thats some change and yet today nothing about Waterford.

Lets hope the FF/FG government dosent treat us the same way but I think they will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ok at this stage we all know about the hassle deisemum and her neighbours had from Kenneallys scumbag tennants, but whats all this about someone caught with 70k of fags? Answers to my inbox if you dont want to put them up here

longshanks wrote: »
    Ok at this stage we all know about the hassle deisemum and her neighbours had from Kenneallys scumbag tennants, but whats all this about someone caught with 70k of fags? Answers to my inbox if you dont want to put them up here

Its speculated that a FF Dungarvan councilor was the person in close political circles, as the News & Star put it, that was caught with the 70k cigarettes by customs.

Not sure why his name was never stated publicly, which is why we cant do it publicly on the forums. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

RTE ignores waterford just like FF did foe years. I mean from a constituency that had a FF minister and Kenneally a while ago to no FF and 2 FG plus Independent thats some change and yet today nothing about Waterford.

Lets hope the FF/FG government dosent treat us the same way but I think they will

Have to agree here, FF losing the seat has to come as a blow, he was expected to keep it and came surprising close to doing so, I would have thought this would have gotten major coverage.

Really pleased to see a woman has been elected in Waterford, also really pleased to see SF did not get a seat in Waterford, the electorate are a clever bunch all the sames.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

TV3 are prone to ignoring Waterford too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Just wanted to say thanks to all for posting results/news/info over the last few days.

I've been a long time reader and enjoyed reading and joining in.

Without some of ye we would have had no information yesterday ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I wouldn't normally defend RTE but...

There was major political drama in a lot of constituencies yesterday, Tanaiste losing her seat, FF Deputy leader losing her seat, GP wiped out, some high profile independents being elected etc.

Trying to follow the Waterford count on TV wasn't easy, but not a lot happened for hours on end. In fairness to RTE results were on the website instantly.

The bottom line though is that nobody outside Waterford gave a flying f*** about Kenneally losing his seat, most people have never heard of him. FG winning 2/4 was common enough (and they did an interview when the count eventually produced results) and by the time John Halligan was elected most people were long in bed.

At the end of the day Waterford's count wasn't very newsworthy outside Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Have to agree here, FF losing the seat has to come as a blow, he was expected to keep it and came surprising close to doing so, I would have thought this would have gotten major coverage.
    Really pleased to see a woman has been elected in Waterford, also really pleased to see SF did not get a seat in Waterford, the electorate are a clever bunch all the sames.:D

FF lost 50 seats! On what planet would a total non-entity like Kenneally get major coverage?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,328 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Margarmur sitebanned for making legal threats against Boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I wouldn't normally defend RTE but...

There was major political drama in a lot of constituencies yesterday, Tanaiste losing her seat, FF Deputy leader losing her seat, GP wiped out, some high profile independents being elected etc.

Trying to follow the Waterford count on TV wasn't easy, but not a lot happened for hours on end. In fairness to RTE results were on the website instantly.

The bottom line though is that nobody outside Waterford gave a flying f*** about Kenneally losing his seat, most people have never heard of him. FG winning 2/4 was common enough (and they did an interview when the count eventually produced results) and by the time John Halligan was elected most people were long in bed.

At the end of the day Waterford's count wasn't very newsworthy outside Waterford.

I'd largely agree actually, they could definitely have given a bit more coverage to Waterford later on though, especially when it became clear that FF were in a real battle.

Gotta say RTE's coverage yesterday was top notch all day. And the website has been updated brilliantly over the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Rte sat van and camera crew outside tower hotel so we must be going to be on tv!! ( is it safe to come back on this thread)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

he was expected to keep it and came surprising close to doing so,
    i think if you read this you will notice that you have contradicted yourself over the space of 13 words.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

The bottom line though is that nobody outside Waterford gave a flying f*** about Kenneally losing his seat, most people have never heard of him.
    who?

Advertisement