Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Saw a few of deasys posters on my way to work tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Dumore rd/ballygunner was still covered in Conway (labour) posters yeaterday evening. Saw one Deasy on the airport road this morning.
    Ring road was clear of all.
    Is midnight tonight the deadline?
    Whats the fine per poster?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Most candidates still have them up, but the Dept. of Environment don't work weekends AFAIK so no fines are issued until Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    Most candidates still have them up, but the Dept. of Environment don't work weekends AFAIK so no fines are issued until Monday.

Yeah they effetively get an extra weekend to get them down I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Sully wrote: »

Its the other way round in the west of the county, most seem to be down. Tobin and Halligan are the exception. I know he is not representing Waterford, but does represent part of it, Mattie McGrath was taking them down last Saturday morning, before the count had got underway in earnest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Most of the signs are down on the Dunmore Road out as far as the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Leaving up posters and cable ties is such a heinous crime. We should bring back capital punishment for the sick and twisted villians who commit these disgusting acts. Won't somebody please think of the lamp posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Leaving up posters and cable ties is such a heinous crime. We should bring back capital punishment for the sick and twisted villians who commit these disgusting acts. Won't somebody please think of the lamp posts?

And the poor old dogs who regularly water these lamp posts.

How could you relax with the likes of messrs Kenneally & Halligan staring at you while you go about your business ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

deise blue wrote: »

How could you relax with the likes of messrs Kenneally & Halligan staring at you while you go about your business ? :D
    /probably make the dogs more regular....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Dunno if anyone saw the election round up in the News and Star this week?

There was an interview with Kenneally in it and he said "It was a national thing, it wasn't anything I did or didn't do" which just shows how completely and utterly out of touch he is.

What he did was claim outrageous levels of expenses and what he didn't do was speak on waterford or national issues to any reasonable extent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Here's a very interesting piece from the Irish Times!

'A fog of defeat has descended. The party is like a tree rotting from the inside'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Just saw this on Twitter - Justin Collery has a blog up:
    http://justincollery.com/?p=5

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

deise blue wrote: »

Kenneally out and Halligan in instead. Will anyone notice the difference? Time will tell.

FG/Lab in and FF/G out. Will the country notice any difference? Again time will tell.

A lot of people saying it'll be just more of the same.:mad:

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'm working on a little review of how the election went on my blog and will post it up as soon as I get it done. I questioned whether Labour would be able to manage a 60% transfer rate needed to elect one of their candidates but they weren't far off and because they didn't end up splitting their vote, they didn't need 60% in the end! I very much doubt that it played out as they intended though as Ryan was their main candidate! Allowing her to canvass in Waterford City killed Seamus because he was already competing against 2 other left-wing city-based candidates as it was.

From tallying, I can tell you that the entire complexion of the election would have been different had Conway been eliminated first. On her own literature, she didn't ask for the voter to give their second preference to Ryan and this was very noticeable when the votes were being counted with Ryan often not featuring on any of Ciara's ballot papers!

Will keep further thoughts to the finished product!

Have to agree with you on that. I hear from good sources the same thing. Conway not transfering to Ryan. It seems Ryan was done over by his own party. If the Lab vote had split evenly the result could have been Halligan and Cullinane. That would have been some surprise result with FF and Lab seat gone.

I think Lab party hacks were really worried about losing the seat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

FG/Lab in and FF/G out. Will the country notice any difference? Again time will tell.

There might be a lot of people that would like to have FF (even with all their faults) back and maybe sooner than what people think when them two get going.

Dunno if anyone saw the election round up in the News and Star this week?

There was an interview with Kenneally in it and he said "It was a national thing, it wasn't anything I did or didn't do" which just shows how completely and utterly out of touch he is.

What he did was claim outrageous levels of expenses and what he didn't do was speak on waterford or national issues to any reasonable extent.

Kenneally in denial and FF in denial in the election campaign. They went on as if they did nothing wrong. They didn't mismanage the country. Didn't let their banker and developer friends ruin the country and the lives of thousands of people.

Given that Kenneally got 7K plus votes you have to ask 'who are these people who voted for him and where were they living for the last 3 or four years'. Its a pity FF got anybody elected in the country. No seats would have been some sort of justice and only limited justice at that.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    There might be a lot of people that would like to have FF (even with all their faults) back and maybe sooner than what people think when them two get going.

I think you might be right. If people think there is going to be some big change and all the cuts etc will be gone they have some wake up call coming.

Out of the pan into the fire comes to mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Since John Halligan has now been elected to the Dáil, who gets his City Council seat? Can he nominate someone himself or since he is non-party, does the seat automatically go to the next candidate in line which is Willie Moore (WP) who missed out by 50 votes as it does in Cork for example. What is the bye law for local elections in Waterford? Cany anyone in the know shed light on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Partizan wrote: »
    Since John Halligan has now been elected to the Dáil, who gets his City Council seat? Can he nominate someone himself or since he is non party, does the seat go to the next candidate in line who was Willie Moore (WP) who missed out by 50 votes as it does in Cork. What is the bye law for local elections in Waterford? Cany anyone in the know shed light on it?
    He chooses his replacement.

dayshah wrote: »
    He chooses his replacement.

Is that the bye law in Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is that the bye law in Waterford?

Applies nationally IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Electricpie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

In 2000 the workers party co-opted Billy McCarthy to replace Martin o Regan who died.
    In 2003 FG co-opted Mary o Halloran to replace Maurice Cummins who was elected as a senator.
    The councillors decide who fills the seat.John Halligan can nominate someone as much as any other councillor can nominate a person to fill the seat.
    Willie Moore is not entitled to the seat as runner up in the last local elections but he can be nominated by Cllr Davy Walsh of the WP and im sure Cllr Dick roche would second the nomination.If more then one person is nominated a vote will take place.
    In 2003 and 2000 nobody opposed the nominations but they could have.
    so its in the hands of the 15 city councillors to decide.i would imagine if John Halligan nominates somebody for his seat that person will be co-opted.
    Any decision on the filling of this seat could be challenged in the Supreme court.

wfman wrote: »
    In 2000 the workers party co-opted Billy McCarthy to replace Martin o Regan who died.
    In 2003 FG co-opted Mary o Halloran to replace Maurice Cummins who was elected as a senator.
    The councillors decide who fills the seat.John Halligan can nominate someone as much as any other councillor can nominate a person to fill the seat.
    Willie Moore is not entitled to the seat as runner up in the last local elections but he can be nominated by Cllr Davy Walsh of the WP and im sure Cllr Dick roche would second the nomination.If more then one person is nominated a vote will take place.
    so its in the hands of the 15 city councillors to decide.i would imagine if John Halligan nominates somebody for his seat that person will be co-opted.
    Any decision on the filling of this seat could be challenged in the Supreme court.

The only thing that might affect that in this situation is that Halligan has burned quite a few bridges in the council. Didn't he opt out of the voting pact after his stint as mayor? Under normal circumstances, I'm sure they'd leave it unchallenged but I wonder will the same happen this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

nkay1985 wrote: »
    The only thing that might affect that in this situation is that Halligan has burned quite a few bridges in the council. Didn't he opt out of the voting pact after his stint as mayor? Under normal circumstances, I'm sure they'd leave it unchallenged but I wonder will the same happen this time.
    As far as I know he just voted against the privatisation of the bin service at the last council meeting. Pact members have often voted differently to the rest of the members in the past.

AdMMM wrote: »
    As far as I know he just voted against the privatisation of the bin service at the last council meeting. Pact members have often voted differently to the rest of the members in the past.

Ah right maybe not such a big deal so.

wfman wrote: »
    The councillors decide who fills the seat.John Halligan can nominate someone as much as any other councillor can nominate a person to fill the seat.Willie Moore is not entitled to the seat as runner up in the last local elections but he can be nominated by Cllr Davy Walsh of the WP and im sure Cllr Dick roche would second the nomination.If more then one person is nominated a vote will take place.

I don't think that is set in stone. Parties can nominate any of its members to fill a seat in the event that one of its elected representatives of the that political party resigns or dies. We could now be in a different scenario in Halligan's case and if he does attempt to nominate someone to take his seat, there could well be objections on the Council from not only the WP. Interesting times ahead.

I don't think that is set in stone. Parties can nominate any of its members to fill a seat in the event that one of its elected representatives of the that political party resigns or dies. We could now be in a different scenario in Halligan's case and if he does attempt to nominate someone to take his seat, there could well be objections on the Council from not only the WP. Interesting times ahead.

I heard that parties can co opt on a party member to fill a seat but independents can't do it by right. Independents can nominate someone but must get the support of a majority of the remaining councillors for the nomination.

In theory the seat is up for grabs but the convention is to go along with the outgoing councillor's nomination. That dosen't mean that in this case that will happen and I'd say all options are being looked at.

I heard that parties can co opt on a party member to fill a seat but independents can't do it by right. Independents can nominate someone but must get the support of a majority of the remaining councillors for the nomination.

In theory the seat is up for grabs but the convention is to go along with the outgoing councillor's nomination. That dosen't mean that in this case that will happen and I'd say all options are being looked at.

Interesting one that, but word on the street is that the WP are taking legal advice in this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I think admmm is right the pact voted different on the privatisation of the bin sevices.I think even the labour cllrs didnt even vote the same way.

Advertisement