Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

anyone know when the supreme court case is going to be, the gov appealing seems to delay any progress in the byelections cases

Jan. 17th I think. Bit out of the political scene at the moment, up to my eyes, but I think thats what it was anyway. Must get back to this thread soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

anyone know when the supreme court case is going to be, the gov appealing seems to delay any progress in the byelections cases

Would be stupid now going ahead with that court case as we know we are going to have a general election in 2011. Might be OK if Parties or individuals have money to burn.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Would be stupid now going ahead with that court case as we know we are going to have a general election in 2011. Might be OK if Parties or individuals have money to burn.

With this government of ours Tom, who knows when the election will be called. The idea of the case is to apply additional pressure and ensure that Waterford is represented if this election is continually delayed next year.

Sully wrote: »
    With this government of ours Tom, who knows when the election will be called.

I agree with you, but Brian Cowan has said there will be an election in 2011. All along he was saying they would hold off till 2012. It will only take one of the two independents or greens to vote against some thing important and we will have it, is it within 28 days or something.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I agree with you, but Brian Cowan has said there will be an election in 2011. All along he was saying they would hold off till 2012. It will only take one of the two independents or greens to vote against some thing important and we will have it, is it within 28 days or something.

So he could wait until December 2011 if he really wanted to. We were told it would be after the budget, now its around March/April - what next? I for one am fed up being lied to by this government and if it means another party narrowing their majority in the Dail - so be it. I, as many others in Waterford, want our voice heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

So he could wait until December 2011 if he really wanted to. We were told it would be after the budget, now its around March/April - what next? I for one am fed up being lied to by this government and if it means another party narrowing their majority in the Dail - so be it. I, as many others in Waterford, want our voice heard.

Exactly. Im not a party specific voter, but I want my vote. I want that vote this evening if possible, or as close to that as can happen. I dont want any more delays.

Waiting till December is unlikely now is it to be honest. The greens wont wait that long anyway. I would be for saying that there will be a new government in by Easter. I know we were told that it will be after the Budget. We were not told how long, but we do know that several parts of it have to be debated first in the dail and then the senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

There wont be a case pal because there wont be any by elections:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

On WLR tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭baldbear

It's all about self interest with these FF guys who just want to secure there seats in the upcoming elections.

He had his chance on Tuesday and now after all the negative media coverage he changes his mind:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

He made his own bed,now let him lie in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Roll on the election, he will not be getting my vote.

Someone should tell him you cant ride 2 horses with the one arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

deisemum wrote: »

Ya can ride the arse off too horses though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

deisemum wrote: »

He won't be getting my vote either. I may even be tempted to set the Jack Russell on him if he comes canvassing but ....
    didn't Charlton Heston ride 2 horses with the same arse in Ben Hur? :D

Sorry if theres an older thread that this can be merged into but Im just curious with all the events of the last week, how people are feeling about the election from Waterford's point of view?

It'll be interesting to see the faces that do turn up on the ballot paper, especially now that FF are under such pressure and with Brian O'Shea's retirement. I'd be tipping Paudie Coffey to gain a seat with Deasy to hold his. I dont think FF are going to have much joy this time around, especially with Brendan Kenneally's on and off support of Brian Cowen.

It really is all to play for over the coming weeks.

I've always thought that at least one independent TD would be good for Waterford, especially if that person, whoever it might be, can put aside parish pump politics and concentrate on thinking 'globally' with a view towards fighting for the South East region as a whole also. We've enough councillors that can sort pot holes.

This is an interesting article I read this evening too that backs up my 'independent' ideas..

Loosely aligned Independents could have significant impact in next Dáil - Elaine Byrne

Either way, it's going to be an interesting 7 weeks.

Forget it.. This one reeks of trying to stay with whichever group can give a good chance of re-election.

FF could run any candidate in the world in Waterford and I wouldnt give them a preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Who cares..too little too late...not a backbone between the lot of em

GetAttachment.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

this notion that independents could deliver took hold in 2002 and fg were practically wiped out. Did these independents/smaller parties make any difference??? NO!!!

In fact electing independents in 2002 had the overall effect of weakening the opposition and this allowed FF/PDs go ape**** with our economy!!
    We are now paying the price!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

I think what would be good for Waterford is a strong country of Ireland, especially the economy. I feel that in general 'independents' seem overly concerned with their local constituency and personal interests to the detriment of the national picture, you only have to look at some of the current and past independent TDs to see this. Jackie H-R anybody? Party TDs are also guilty of this, but I think to a lessor extent. I would much prefer an electoral system where we could have TDs who could concentrate on national politics and legislating, rather than the parish pump process we have now. I don't like the UK first past the post system, but their individual MPs seem better than most of our TDs. They certainly have less hereditary parliament members, tending to leave that to the Windsor family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

He can support whoever he fcukin likes. He'll be getting short shrift if he darkens my door.

Mod Note::

Merged with exisiting topic on the election. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

that's why they call him the dummy Kenneally!

the man is an embarrassment to Waterford!

wouldn't it be great to see the likes of Halligan taking FF seat. someone who actually cares about the city!

An update for those not in the loop...

- Brian Cowens future as leader of Fianna Fail and the country was in doubt for a period following revelations about meetings with some top bankers, a round of golf with one man in particular Seanie Fitzpatrick of Anglo Irish, whome he had a round of golf with "shooting the breeze" but didn't speak at all about the unfolding crisis which saw Anglo bailed out a few times which turned out to be a black hole, as Fine Gael and others said it would. Google him for whats so dodgy about that.

- Following a lot of disquiet within his own party, including senior ministers, he met with all TDs and spoke with them about any concerns they had. He then came out and did a press interview saying he was staying put and was having a confidence motion for him at the next Parliamentary Meeting. Rambling mostly, and his main point was that it was for the benefit of the country he stayed on. Micheál Martin then confirmed in his press statement he had no confidence, offered to resign but was refused by Cowen. Said he would be calling on people to vote no to the motion of confidence. He rambled a bit, made an arse of his attempt and mostly spoke about the good of the party and how ****e it was doing, facing extinction etc.

- Mary Hanafin, speculated to be against Cowen, refused to comment before the vote. Anyway, Brian won, but apparently the margin was tight as some ministers including Brian Lenihan backed out (apparently he was leading the revolt). Micheál Martin left office and Hanafin said she voted against Cowen but didn't offer or wasn't asked to resign.

- Next day in the Dail, Cowen took over his portfolio (Enda Kenny comments "I hope it does not turn out like out some other things you've taken charge of" - chorus of laughter) and was in great fighting spirit and attacking labours motion of no confidence in the government (they put it down before the motion of confidence in Cowen, and refused to withdraw even though he won it).

- Fine Gael claimed that the motion was a stunt, and untimely, the motion of no confidence in the government to be held some weeks later. Cowen had a right laugh at the motion and said that "Even Fine Gael though it was stupid". Enda clarified, in his humours way that he had not challenged the intellectual capacity of Labour leader Eamon Gilmore. Again, laughter by all. Very funny Dail session, very lively.

- Anyway, that evening/night followed, 5 other ministers resigning in sync. Mary Harney started the pack of resignations and all other TDs who were not standing in the election said they were resigning their posts with immediate effect. Batt O'Keefe also confirmed he was resigning. Thats 1/3 of the cabinet gone overnight.

- Next day, Cowen didn't appear in the Dail (standard procedure, the Tánaiste leads the pack on a Thursday) and following a lot of rowdy scenes in the Dail, and a call from Enda Kenny of Fine Gael to suspend the session until Cowen came in and explain wtf was going on - it was indeed, suspended for a few hours for Cowen to come in and explain.

- FG had a press pack discussing the above events during a scheduled press launch for another new policy of theirs. Didn't watch it, only heard bits of it on the news.

- During this period, the Green had a private meeting to discuss the speculation that Cowen was planning on a major reshuffle and thats why all ministers resigned in sync. It was the plan of Cowen to inject new blood, new faces, for the benefit of the party really. Anyway, they told Cowen no way hosay.

- Cowen came in, rather gloomy, and spread the roles of the resigned ministers onto the remaining members of Cabinet. He gave the Tainiste the role of health, so we are all ****ed even more. He confirmed the date for the election was March 11th, a Friday.

- Hanafin said she advised against the move. Other FF ministers claimed they knew about a reshuffle for sometime including the Greens, who had no objection, and thats why the ministers resigned.

- Followed by spats between Cowen and Gormley through media. Cowen said Greens had no issue previously with a major reshuffle, Gormley denies this. Speculation that a new heave is underway and Cowen faces a no confidence motion even lead by Brian Lenihan (assuming he doesn't bottle it, if you believe what you read)

- Gilmore on RTE confirms the motion will still stand, and a rant about the government and their party going forward.

- Conor Lenihan gets very annoyed and angry, a bit of a meltdown, on Vincent Browns show on TV3 cause Vinny said if he had no faith in Cowen he should have resigned and he is only hanging in their to serve personal interests.

Thats about as up-to-date as I can think of what happened in recent times.. There was stuff in media mostly about Fine Gaels new website (www.finegael.ie) which was very Obama like. Includes a method for people to submit their comments on what problems Ireland has, what needs to be done, and what FG need to do to win their support. Also had a video from Kenny saying that politicians did more talking and less listening and he was changing it to less talking and more listening (to the people that is). Site hosted in Florida, bit of uproar, then it got hacked by the Anonymous Group that do all the other major hackings including PayPal and Master Card. FBI then got involved and after a while a newer(sh) version of the site re-launched and is still there along with a new poster of Kenny people can download for their phone/print/facebook/twitter.

Overall, very interesting few weeks. Nothing much from the main parties bar Fine Gael - launched two new policy documents - Tourism and something on the day the election date was given, Labour - all about their motion against the government, rant about Fianna Fail, and they released a political reform document. I believe it is similar to the one Fine Gael launched sometime ago, from the reviews I read.

Mix bag of chatter about FG and Labour not getting on, not setting their "united stall" to the people on what they would do together if elected. Both parties strongly fighting back that FF and the Greens didn't do it, and that no coalition government has in the past, and that both are fighting for an overall majority. If neither succeeds, then negotiations will start. Until then, feck awf basically.

Polls showing rise for FG, drop for Labour, steadying for SF who are higher then FF, and FF steady enough at 13% I think. Gilmore personal rating dropped a bit, Kenny increased a bit. Cant recall the others.

Anyway, thats the overall summary. Hope its of use.

Adios Brendan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

Trotter wrote: »
    Sorry if theres an older thread that this can be merged into but Im just curious with all the events of the last week, how people are feeling about the election from Waterford's point of view?

It'll be interesting to see the faces that do turn up on the ballot paper, especially now that FF are under such pressure and with Brian O'Shea's retirement. I'd be tipping Paudie Coffey to gain a seat with Deasy to hold his. I dont think FF are going to have much joy this time around, especially with Brendan Kenneally's on and off support of Brian Cowen.

It really is all to play for over the coming weeks.

I've always thought that at least one independent TD would be good for Waterford, especially if that person, whoever it might be, can put aside parish pump politics and concentrate on thinking 'globally' with a view towards fighting for the South East region as a whole also. We've enough councillors that can sort pot holes.

This is an interesting article I read this evening too that backs up my 'independent' ideas..

Loosely aligned Independents could have significant impact in next Dáil - Elaine Byrne

Either way, it's going to be an interesting 7 weeks.

your right 110%

Lab are not as strong as people are making them out to be. next Government will be FG/IND. FG will poll about 75 seats and will have the support of ross lowry and mcwilliams and will do a deal with a few other independents to gain full control. independents will only take over 1 cabinet seat and in my opinion that will be finance. its win win for the blueshirts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I can't imagine him saying publicly what way he's actually voted though, especially if it looks like it's going to be close! He's just flying his kite to gauge opinion. He can fly it all he likes because as far as I'm concerned, he'll have plenty of time to be flying kites after the election!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Sully, any chance we could set up a poll on here - with the candidates we know are running or just on the parties

Be interesting to see the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

decies wrote: »
    On WLR tonight.

Perhaps he could also tell us why his level of expenses claims is consistently one of the highest in the dail?

The sooner this absolute was of space of a TD is voted out the better imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

David McWilliams as minister for finance, wow that would be very interesting, mind you, didn't George Lee have many aspirations when he joined FG, and looked how that panned out.

Personally, I couldn't see FG giving away a high profile ministerial position like finance to an independent.

Advertisement