Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

Partizan wrote: »
    Interesting one that, but word on the street is that the WP are taking legal advice in this matter.
    The WP would be wasting time and money going the legal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Teebor15

..a kilkenny man and a wexford man to get cabinet positions from Enda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

ye all voted them in, there was no one that mouth Deasy was going to get a position, and coffey is only a yes man for Kenny so waterford will remain the forgotten city we should have rejected finegael down here totally and gone labour/sinn fein/independant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

sully might ban ye for talking against his beloved fine gael!

i told ye long ago that deasy and the other numb nuts coffey didnt have a hope of sniffing a seat!

Gardner wrote: »
    sully might ban ye for talking against his beloved fine gael!

i told ye long ago that deasy and the other numb nuts coffey didnt have a hope of sniffing a seat!

I know, Fine Gael will keep Waterford as the forgotten city, it was always going to happen, the quality of candidate they had even down here was never going to be a minister. Expect to see growth in Kilkenny and Wexford with new investment and there respective good roads to Dublin, and there will be nothing left for us down here, but sure we're used to it, we've been putting up with sh1t councilers, mayors, TDs and the rest for years so why change now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

wfman wrote: »

it would be a nice distraction for their solicitor from their usual proceedings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

we've been putting up with sh1t councilers, mayors, TDs and the rest for years so why change now
    Would you consider running for election yourself?

I'm not being smart. We don't have exceptionally good candidates from Waterford (I'll reserve judgement on the new TDs, but so far they aren't high profile). That will only change if more good people put their name forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Troll-tastic thread chaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Mod Note:

Thread merged, :)

ye all voted them in, there was no one that mouth Deasy was going to get a position, and coffey is only a yes man for Kenny so waterford will remain the forgotten city we should have rejected finegael down here totally and gone labour/sinn fein/independant

In what way would that have helped?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    In what way would that have helped?

well whats the point in having the two donkeys, Fine Gael aren't going to do anything for Waterford

Thats a very poor answer, try again.

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats a very poor answer, try again.

haha am I here to humour you, ehm no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Spotted a kenneally poster today
    How do i snitch :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

I dont know about that. While it is much more straight forward for a political party to co-opt members onto the Council, it might not be so straight forward in the case of an Independent. In Cork City Council last year, an Independent member failed in his bid to have his nominee co-opted onto the Council and instead the seat went to the next candidate in the previous LE. We are in a grey area and with nothing set in stone, there maybe room for the WP to mount an objection or legal challenge if they so choose.

Partizan wrote: »
    I dont know about that. While it is much more straight forward for a political party to co-opt members onto the Council, it might not be so straight forward in the case of an Independent. In Cork City Council last year, an Independent member failed in his bid to have his nominee co-opted onto the Council and instead the seat went to the next candidate in the previous LE. We are in a grey area and with nothing set in stone, there maybe room for the WP to mount an objection or legal challenge if they so choose.
    No grey area in waterford.Its straight forward.The sitting Cllr's will decide who takes the seat.As ive said any Cll'r can nominate someone for the seat.If Halligan nominates someone for his seat and the majority of Cllr's vote in favour thats it.The only chance the WP have is to nominate someone for the seat and secure a majority of votes on the council which i cant see happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

No grey area in waterford.Its straight forward.The sitting Cllr's will decide who takes the seat.As ive said any Cll'r can nominate someone for the seat.If Halligan nominates someone for his seat and the majority of Cllr's vote in favour thats it.The only chance the WP have is to nominate someone for the seat and secure a majority of votes on the council which i cant see happening.

Dont see why the WP would have any say. Halligan was elected as an independent, that usually means an independent replaces him. In the County, when a councillor dies or resigns his seat someone from the same party automatically takes his or her place, often a person he or she would have known. When Pat Leahy died his daughter replaced him, When Aidan Walsh died a number of years back i think it was Nora Flynn that replaced him but i stand to be corrected on that, and when Richie Walsh died it was Dick Power that replaced him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Teebor15 wrote: »
    ..a kilkenny man and a wexford man to get cabinet positions from Enda!

Two Wexford cabinet positions.
    Twomey will probably get a junior minister position too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Always maintained Deasy wouldn't be given a full ministerial position. I'm not sure he will be offered a Junior position a second time around. I have always felt Coffey was in with a much stronger chance of getting a position and I stand by that.

Also, now that its a Lab/FG coalition, even the most obvious candidates outside of Waterford were not chosen for a position on cabinet. Less love to give around.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Two Wexford cabinet positions.

Did you expect Waterford to get one. There would be war in both parties i would say from some of the older tds if Coffey and Conway as new TD's were to straight into a ministerial job and Deasy was never going to get one while Enda is the Chief.

Anyone see the photo on the front of the examiner. Joan Brutol looks like a spoilt child, standing away from Pat Rabbitt when she did not get the job she wanted. The rest of the new cabinet were almost standing or sitting shoulder to shoulder. I wonder is this the first rattle thrown out of the pram. There will be a lot more of them to follow. Leo whats his name looks like a child that won a medal in the school sports the way he is holding his.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Dont see why the WP would have any say. Halligan was elected as an independent, that usually means an independent replaces him. In the County, when a councillor dies or resigns his seat someone from the same party automatically takes his or her place, often a person he or she would have known. When Pat Leahy died his daughter replaced him, When Aidan Walsh died a number of years back i think it was Nora Flynn that replaced him but i stand to be corrected on that, and when Richie Walsh died it was Dick Power that replaced him.

WP would not have a say? really? So you condone the practice of nepotism on the Council.

The WP have no problem with a councillor from a political party being co-opted onto the Council to replace a public representative if he/she retired or died in office, however if John Halligan appointed a sibling to replace him, then a problem would arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

No junior minister for Waterford , not even a feckin crumb :-/

decies wrote: »
    No junior minister for Waterford , not even a feckin crumb :-/

Did people think Waterford would get one. If they did then Enda has them well and truly fooled. This is not going to go down well, but under Fianna Fail things were bad, under the Fine Gael and Labour crowd things will be a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Did people think Waterford would get one. If they did then Enda has them well and truly fooled. This is not going to go down well, but under Fianna Fail things were bad, under the Fine Gael and Labour crowd things will be a lot worse.

Youre dead right Tom!! Things will be very bad under fg and labour. Do you know why??? Just in case you had forgotten let me remind you of the following FACTS--

Fianna Fail bankrupted this country and turned it into an economic wasteland, that will take years to recover from.
    Fianna Fail and their cronies in anglo-irish gambled with the futures of every Irish person and lost!
    Fianna Fail brought the IMF into this country. We are no longer a sovereign state. Thanks to Fianna Fail, Bertie and Cowen and their cronies!!

Fianna Fail should NEVER be allowed to forget this!!
    The Republican Party MY ARSE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Youre dead right Tom!! Things will be very bad under fg and labour. Do you know why??? Just in case you had forgotten let me remind you of the following FACTS--

Fianna Fail bankrupted this country and turned it into an economic wasteland, that will take years to recover from.
    Fianna Fail and their cronies in anglo-irish gambled with the futures of every Irish person and lost!
    Fianna Fail brought the IMF into this country. We are no longer a sovereign state. Thanks to Fianna Fail, Bertie and Cowen and their cronies!!

Fianna Fail should NEVER be allowed to forget this!!
    The Republican Party MY ARSE!!

Leo varadker's mother is from Waterford so Waterford has a blood line at cabinet table.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Deasy will never be a minister under Kenny, he will be a pothole fixer , not a national mover and shaker.
    Coffey has to do his time.

I nearly cried looking at the ballot, even d'arcy in Wexford who did not get elected is better than the best Waterford has to offer.

agreed, Fine Gael don't give a monkeys about Waterford and never will

Good to see one of our TDs shopping locally today.In the new Audi garage;)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Good to see one of our TDs shopping locally today.In the new Audi garage;)

So help me god it had better been a second hand car because if someone in a job 2 weeks can afford a new 50 grand car then they're overpaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

jayboi wrote: »
    So help me god it had better been a second hand car because if someone in a job 2 weeks can afford a new 50 grand car then they're overpaid.

Sure, the milleage they'll get just going to their job will pay for it, won;t even have to touch their salary:mad:

Advertisement