Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

1474849505153»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Deise Tom wrote: »
    A university under a Fine Gael and Labour Government for Waterford was a non runner. I said that here and was shot down. I dont care however. If there was to be a new univeristy for the South East as some was putting it and not for Waterford i believe that it was going to be in Carlow. The Waterford FG TDs are not valued enough by Enda to have a uni here. On the other hand because Phil Hogan backed Enda in the leadership battle last year, Enda will back him now and if a university was going to be given to the South East it would have gone to Hogan's constituency and failing this to Brendan Howlins constituency as a thank you to Labour for jumping ionto bed with FG.

The only chance for a university is as part of an upgrade of WIT. There will be no green field university. All the reports, statements, etc., talk about upgrades, not new universities. And an upgrade of Carlow would not be acceptable to anyone except Carlow people. WIT is the only institute that can form the basis for a university in the south east, and that can be the main campus. Given the threat of WIT to form a technological university with CIT, it should be clear to all concerned that it has to be Waterford.

It would also be very hard for ministers to swing it for their own constituencies given the infrastructure around and to and from Waterford is better than anywhere else. Also, the highest concentration of population is in and around Waterford, etc., etc.

Advertisement