Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

They should be forced to tell us which way they voted, what have they got to hide? The public should know where they stand.
    Weasels the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Will he really lose his seat though? Waterford has a fine reputation for voting FF no matter what. We voted 2 of them last time.. surely they'll get enough votes from the ultra loyalists to get 1 through?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Sully, any chance we could set up a poll on here - with the candidates we know are running or just on the parties

Be interesting to see the outcome.

Only FG and Independents are confirmed, Labour seem to be having just one candidate and that may change. We don't know about FF

When all confirmed, ill put one up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Trotter wrote: »
    Will he really lose his seat though? Waterford has a fine reputation for voting FF no matter what. We voted 2 of them last time.. surely they'll get enough votes from the ultra loyalists to get 1 through?

Yeah that's the big worry isn't it!
    Sully wrote: »
    Only FG and Independents are confirmed, Labour seem to be having just one candidate and that may change. We don't know about FF

When all confirmed, ill put one up!

David Cullinane is confirmed for SF as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nkay1985 wrote: »
    David Cullinane is confirmed for SF as well.

Aye but thats a given :p

I just want all candidates confirmed to make the poll fair. We have about three independents, if not more. Labour had Brian O'Shea who pulled out and its now the virtually unknown Ciara Conway so they may decide to change that. Fianna Fail I haven't heard anything about their intentions and I would imagine there will be a few smaller groups appearing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

Perhaps 'shameful' reputation as opposed to 'fine' reputation?:(

I think a lot of the FF vote was because of FF having a Minister for Waterford. Now, thats gone, so people will look to FG/Labour for a Minister. Well, FG now since O'Shea has departed the political scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Amazing that the fourm could unite in the same opinion but I agree it's testing waters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ziedth wrote: »
    Amazing that the fourm could unite in the same opinion but I agree it's testing waters.

Ah I'd say we could well have someone on to defend Keneally before the day is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hopefully whats likely to be said at 2 pm by BIFFO will make his mind up for him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Gardner wrote: »
    your right 110%

Lab are not as strong as people are making them out to be. next Government will be FG/IND. FG will poll about 75 seats and will have the support of ross lowry and mcwilliams and will do a deal with a few other independents to gain full control. independents will only take over 1 cabinet seat and in my opinion that will be finance. its win win for the blueshirts

Spot on re Labour and the support they think they have. I hope that they are no where near the next government. Its maybe time now that we had one party in control maybe with as you point out if need be with a few what could be genuine independents, Shane Ross etc. Ireland right now has enough of the tail wagging the dog since the early 1980's. Fine Gael will have the most seats in the house but will they get 75 as you say they could get. What happens if we dont have one party with enough seats on their own plus the better independents, and they cant agree to go into power with what will be the smaller parties in the dail, FF, LAb, SF and any Solialists that get elected. How long will a minority government last. Will the other parties agree to back them for a certain length of time to try and get the country back to where it should be. I think it happened before. Did Alan Dukes when he was leader of FG agree to back FF in some matters. No doubt i will be told so if i am wrong.

Cowen has just resigned as leader of Fianna Fail but staying on as Taoiseach until the election. How odd.

Cowen gone as leader of FF but hanging around as Taoiseach until after the election!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Spot on re Labour and the support they think they have. I hope that they are no where near the next government. Its maybe time now that we had one party in control maybe with as you point out if need be with a few what could be genuine independents, Shane Ross etc. Ireland right now has enough of the tail wagging the dog since the early 1980's. Fine Gael will have the most seats in the house but will they get 75 as you say they could get. What happens if we dont have one party with enough seats on their own plus the better independents, and they cant agree to go into power with what will be the smaller parties in the dail, FF, LAb, SF and any Solialists that get elected. How long will a minority government last. Will the other parties agree to back them for a certain length of time to try and get the country back to where it should be. I think it happened before. Did Alan Dukes when he was leader of FG agree to back FF in some matters. No doubt i will be told so if i am wrong.

Both yourself and Gardner should contact Paddy Power and request a quote for a FG/Independent majority Government , this scenario is so unlikely that Paddy Power don't quote odds on their website.

A better bet is a FG minority Government at 12 to 1 , as you correctly point out a situation that has arisen before with FG backing a minority Government.

Paddy Power has a FG/Labour coalition at 1/20.

Anything can happen in politics but I firmly believe that FG and Labour will form the next Government with Labour getting a large number of seats which will force FG to cede an enormous amount of influence to Labour - I hope so anyway

deise blue wrote: »
    Both yourself and Gardner should contact Paddy Power and request a quote for a FG/Independent majority Government , this scenario is so unlikely that Paddy Power don't quote odds on their website.

A better bet is a FG minority Government at 12 to 1 , as you correctly point out a situation that has arisen before with FG backing a minority Government.

Paddy Power has a FG/Labour coalition at 1/20.

Anything can happen in politics but I firmly believe that FG and Labour will form the next Government with Labour getting a large number of seats which will force FG to cede an enormous amount of influence to Labour - I hope so anyway

I only hope that Labour are not involved. We might be better with a Minoroty Government that to have them.

Cowen has just resigned as leader of Fianna Fail but staying on as Taoiseach until the election. How odd.

Not exactly a major surprize, he should have gone a lot sooner. Staying on for till the election as Taoiseach is also possibly the best move.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

I only hope that Labour are not involved. We might be better with a Minoroty Government that to have them.

But you have to be pragmatic , the likliehood of a minority Government lasting in the current climate is nil given the difficult choices ahead which FF will be hugely anxious to distance themselves from and will not give support to and to give any permanence and stability the likliest option to ensure that scenario is an FG/Labour coalition.

Personally I would like to see Labour lead left wing coalition but given both my own and Labour's antipathy to Sinn Fein I know it's unlikely to happen so I am happy and pragmatic enough to settle for an FG/Labour coalition with Labour wielding quite a bit of influence.

I also think that such a FG/Labour coalition would remove influence from Independents and ensure that we don't see a repeat of the Government bribing the likes of Healy-Rae and Lowry to stay on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I think a lot of the FF vote was because of FF having a Minister for Waterford. Now, thats gone, so people will look to FG/Labour for a Minister. Well, FG now since O'Shea has departed the political scene.

Exactly, hit the nail right on the head there. Cullen got in because he got the motorway from dublin amongst other things, Kenneally slithered in on transfers.

I think its perfectly possible for Waterford to elect 2 FG, 1 Labour and possibly 1 SF, Cullinane didn't have a huge vote historically but either him or Halligan will get the social welfare/minimum wage type voters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Ah I'd say we could well have someone on to defend Keneally before the day is out.

I think even diehard FF trolls might have a problem doing that lol. According to this site http://www.kildarestreet.com/td/brendan_kenneally/waterford he's only spoken in the Dail 9 times in the last year which is truly pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Hope the voters see sense and dont vote for fianna fail.

I wonder is there anyone running for the vegtable green party?

• Advertisement

How utterly farcical to have a man who is not fit to lead the party leading the country.

Have we no self respect like? How have we come to a point where this could even be suggested never mind tolerated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Are the neighbours still talking to him in Viewmount?

How utterly farcical to have a man who is not fit to lead the party leading the country.

Have we no self respect like? How have we come to a point where this could even be suggested never mind tolerated!

He would not be the first Taoiseach that was not party Leader.

When John A Costello was Taoiseach in the late 1940's and early 1950's Richard Mulcahy was leader of the Fine Gael Party.

He would not be the first Taoiseach that was not party Leader.

When John A Costello was Taoiseach in the late 1940's and early 1950's Richard Mulcahy was leader of the Fine Gael Party.

Which was agreed as part of the negotiations for that government at the beginning of its term. Martin Mansergh came out with that today too and it sounded equally ridiculous.

Justifying this is pointless. Are you a FF supporter/member if you dont mind me asking? Im just a bit amazed that anyone could justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Very realistic possibility of the election being brought forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Waterford FF Deputy Brendan Kenneally says he was not declaring for any leadership candidate at this stage .source rte election twitter.

Which was agreed as part of the negotiations for that government at the beginning of its term. Martin Mansergh came out with that today too and it sounded equally ridiculous.

Justifying this is pointless. Are you a FF supporter/member if you dont mind me asking? Im just a bit amazed that anyone could justify it.

Just giving today's History Lesson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

the forthcoming election in waterford will provide for an interesting battle

1 FG seat a certainty (Probably 2)
    1 FF seat is also fairly sure (Kenneally). The longer the party leave it before adding a second candidate makes his seat even safer!
    1 Lab (2 candidate strategy is madness and could cost them, but i expect them to pull through). They should stand Seamus Ryan.
    SF vote will increase but they will suffer due to the fact that Cullinane Lives in Knocktopher Co Kilkenny (his vote halved in the locals)
    Coffey should take a seat for FG (if fg dont win 2 now, they never will)
    Halligan will also poll well, but might just fall short

Just giving today's History Lesson

Well the bit that suited anyway :) The situation you quoted was a million miles from this unprecedented situation.

Its doing nobody any good to misrepresent that agreed situation that occurred then. It frustrates me when FF people try to roll out little stats to self serve, assuming it'll confuse the rest of us.

A history lesson should be accurate, complete and unbiased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Where have you been?
    That guy is biggest supporter ive ever come across! They could be rounding people up and shooting them on the street and i reckon he would still justify and support it!

Advertisement