Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Election 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

jayboi wrote: »
    Where have you been?
    That guy is biggest supporter ive ever come across! They could be rounding people up and shooting them on the street and i reckon he would still justify and support it!

Sorry I missed out. Maybe just add me to the list of people who doesnt soak up FF propaganda easily so.

the forthcoming election in waterford will provide for an interesting battle

1 FG seat a certainty (Probably 2)
    1 FF seat is also fairly sure (Kenneally). The longer the party leave it before adding a second candidate makes his seat even safer!
    1 Lab (2 candidate strategy is madness and could cost them, but i expect them to pull through). They should stand Seamus Ryan.
    SF vote will increase but they will suffer due to the fact that Cullinane Lives in Knocktopher Co Kilkenny (his vote halved in the locals)
    Coffey should take a seat for FG (if fg dont win 2 now, they never will)
    Halligan will also poll well, but might just fall short

I'd be hoping FF lose all seats in Waterford. If not, we've learned nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Any of the old school FFers I've been talking to are still gonna vote for them. Small little think like ruining the country can't counteract generations of brainwashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Nolanger wrote: »
    Are the neighbours still talking to him in Viewmount?

Let's just say he better not be banking on votes from his former neighbours. His name is mud around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If the opposition parties can't lock FF out of waterford in this election, then they really have only themselves to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

AdMMM wrote: »
    If the opposition parties can't lock FF out of waterford in this election, then they really have only themselves to blame.

You dont have a clue how the mind of a ff'er works!!!
    If FF cut their right hand off, they would learn to write with the left hand so that they could continue to vote for them!!

FF will not get less than 20% in general election!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

Perhaps he could also tell us why his level of expenses claims is consistently one of the highest in the dail?

I agree and maybe Coffee could explain why his senate expenses were in the top 5 out of 60 Senators. Almost a grand a week (3 day week!!) in expenses plus salary. It makes me wonder.......
    Sully wrote: »
    Now, thats gone, so people will look to FG/Labour for a Minister. Well, FG now since O'Shea has departed the political scene.

I guess the people will be disappointed so pal:) Deasy hasn`t a hope of a ministry and Coffee (if he gets elected) will be the new kid on the block and wont be in contention until a possible reshuffle in the future. He has hardly set the senate on fire since he became a member has he??

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

MoodRacer wrote: »
    He has hardly set the senate on fire since he became a member has he??

I wish! I would've bought him the matches if i thought he would do it! ;)

I can already see the headlines
    "Coffee burns down senate - claims for matchs in expenses"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

With this Fianna Fail fiasco and Kenneally being pretty much the quiet TD for Waterford - id say it wont be an easy call. Id say it could be between him and Labour - shes not known. The Independents, some not all, would be stronger then her.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note
    Ill put this topic in with the main election topic since its a lot of talk about FF election chances in Waterford. :)

• Advertisement

MoodRacer wrote: »
    I guess the people will be disappointed so pal:) Deasy hasn`t a hope of a ministry and Coffee (if he gets elected) will be the new kid on the block and wont be in contention until a possible reshuffle in the future. He has hardly set the senate on fire since he became a member has he??

Coffee is some hope rather then no hope, to be fair.

I heard a few commentators again on the radio speaking about the potential for a FG/IND government.

Who are our potential independents in Waterford?
    Is John Halligan FG compatible?
    Has Mary Roche made a call on whether she'll run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Well the Greens are gone now,so an early election?

Well the Greens are gone now,so an early election?

My guess 18th or 25th Feb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Well one thing I hope will happen is that FF are decimated and end up being smaller than even SF. Anyone who votes for them needs their head examined. This election is the one time we all have a voice and we need to say to FF/Greens, ''ye messed up the place and managed to line your own pockets'' so they should be destroyed in the election. Send all politicans a clear message, f-up like that shower and you too will be decimated in the election.

for what it worth i will be voting FG as its the only option as far as i can see. and I can see FG winning 3 seats in Waterford.

FF not gone yet, they aint leaving without a fight. One more TD goes, and they are unconstitutionally in power.

I cant believe they are sticking it out!

FF not gone yet, they aint leaving without a fight. One more TD goes, and they are unconstitutionally in power.

I cant believe they are sticking it out!

It was always clear that this shower would be dragged backwards out of the Dáil. Its indicative of everything we're trying to get rid of..

And yet we'll be biting our nails as a FF candidate gets close to the line in the Waterford constituency.. It'd be a breath of fresh air if the people of Waterford can stand up this time.

Im not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

uncle gerry in trouble!!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mcconville-daughter-considers-run-against-adams-for-dail-seat-2507458.html

scum bags all of them, anyone who writes no.1 beside david cullinane is no friend of mine and never will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Gardner wrote: »
    uncle gerry in trouble!!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mcconville-daughter-considers-run-against-adams-for-dail-seat-2507458.html

scum bags all of them, anyone who writes no.1 beside david cullinane is no friend of mine and never will be

Yet it is ok to vote for Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael who also have their history in the IRA? Why do we have one standard for Sinn Féin and another for the other parties?
    Furthermore, I doubt David Cullinane shot that woman. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    Yet it is ok to vote for Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael who also have their history in the IRA? Why do we have one standard for Sinn Féin and another for the other parties?
    Furthermore, I doubt David Cullinane shot that woman. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's ridiculous stuff really. Reading some of what goes on over on the Politics forum would make you despair sometimes.

No doubt the answer to your question will be "because the IRA they supported were terrorists" or some other such ridiculous statement. I'd love to know would all these people who hate Sinn Fein prefer if everyone voted for FF - the party who've brought this country to its knees thanks to their greed and short-sightedness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

FF are the real terrorisits - I.E Economic Terrorism / Treason which effected almost every household in this so called republic of ours.

I'm told that Labour have selected Seamus Ryan in addition to Conway and I believe Fianna Fail are running Olie Wilkinson in addition to Kennealy.

I'm told that Labour have selected Seamus Ryan in addition to Conway and I believe Fianna Fail are running Olie Wilkinson in addition to Kennealy.
    That'd be correct.

I thought FF were going to try and become a new fresh party? They don't have high hopes for a seat in Waterford with that selection anyway. Wilkinson is very much a west Waterford. There'll be very few transfers between them!

The simple fact is that nobody new and fresh WANTS to run for Fianna Fail this election. Who wants to run for a party that's in turmoil this election, knowing they'll be berated and abused at 90% of the doors that they go to? Any prospective candidates would be better off to let the old guard bear the burden of their own mistakes and look toward the next election instead where they'll be hoping their party will once again be in a position to be taken seriously. Personally, I think it will take at least two electoral terms before Fianna Fail will be a contender again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

AdMMM wrote: »
    The simple fact is that nobody new and fresh WANTS to run for Fianna Fail this election. Who wants to run for a party that's in turmoil this election, knowing they'll be berated and abused at 90% of the doors that they go to? Any prospective candidates would be better off to let the old guard bear the burden of their own mistakes and look toward the next election instead where they'll be hoping their party will once again be in a position to be taken seriously. Personally, I think it will take at least two electoral terms before Fianna Fail will be a contender again!

1. What about Pat Daly.

2. While people are disgussed with what has happened to beratre and abuse people show shows ignornance. Not everyone was responsible for making decissions and some did speak out about what was happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Deise Tom wrote: »
    1. What about Pat Daly.

2. While people are disgussed with what has happened to beratre and abuse people show shows ignornance. Not everyone was responsible for making decissions and some did speak out about what was happening.

Although I don't think they should be abused (nobody should) I think that you can't canvas for FF without expecting a certain amount of home truths to be said your way.

Anyone from FF comes to my door I'll remain Civil but I'll be far from friendly TBH.

Most of FF stood by and let it happen, and its the FF party which as a whole messed up the country and lied to us. Then the week gone by was a fiasco and all about the party.

So, don't expect people to be soft with you on the door.

1. What about Pat Daly.

I had to Google Pat Daly and was brought to a page of a Fianna Fail Councillor in Co. Clare. Is that the same Pat Daly you're referring to? If it is, I'd have serious reservations of him being described as new and fresh and the very fact you have to search as far as Co. Clare for someone to spring to your mind speaks volume as far your party's reputation is concerned here in Waterford.

With regards your second point, some may have spoken out but in the case of those who spoke out not being listened to, why remain in the party if it no longer is committed to an agenda that matches your ideology and thoughts? The media have correctly compared this choreographed flurry of resignations in recent weeks to rats fleeing a sinking ship. Had the resignations come earlier, even at the time that the writing was on the wall for the Government, then some respect could have been salvaged. For now, every member of Fianna Fail will be associated with the poor decisions of the party's leaders - and for good reason - for they continued to publicly support them up until the last possible minute to try maintain some delusional image of party cohesion at the expense of plunging the country into further chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

1. What about Pat Daly.

I reckon FF will just stand Brendan Kenneally. That would certainly guarantee a seat.

Advertisement